ProAssurance

Be The First To
Add Photos

ProAssurance Chairman and CEO W. Stancil (Stan) Starnes

W. Stancil (Stan) Starnes

Good Company. Needs Work.

I have been working at ProAssurance full-time

ProsThe company benefits package is great. The support staff are willing to work to make all things happen. There seems to be a lot of potential career advancement if you want to stay. The company is willing to provide certification training for employees.

ConsThere are political battlefields at every turn between departments. There is a shrinking and aging intellectual knowledge base at the company that cannot support future initiatives without the implementation of a strong (and forced) mentor program.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a handle on the silo-styled infighting. Start investing in the next generation of management and support staff that will lead the company into future success. Also, provide opportunities for remotely working from home. Virtual teams are part of the future success of attracting new talent that will stay.

Avoid this company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at ProAssurance full-time for more than a year

Pros37.5 hour workweek
Nice office space

ConsBenefits suck. They provide all the good stuff like medical and dental but the premiums are high, the co-pays are high and the coverage isn't very good.
Small company trying to behave like a large corporation and not doing it very well.
Not very progressive. No visible piercings or tattoos allowed. Makes women cover small nose piercings and tattoos with band aids. Yeah, that looks better!
Bad behavior by long time employees is tolerated by management instead of being addressed.
Upper management is out of touch with what is really going on in the offices. Several senior managers are playing political games to further their own careers at the expense of good employees.
Endless gossip, rumors and back stabbing among employees.
Hard to know if CEO is genuine. He's a former litigation attorney so he's a skilled speaker and could also be a wolf in sheeps clothing.
Very hard to effectuate change. Management won't take charge and make decisions. Endless meetings that lead no where.
Compensation for managers isn't bad but hourly workers have a cap. Some long timers haven't had wage increases in years.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake yourselves more accessible and open your minds. Also, join the 21st century. There are highly intelligent people that have tasteful piercings and tattoos.

Once a good company to work for. Many changes in last year.

I worked at ProAssurance

ProsGood salaries and nice bonuses.

Conslack of Communication from Managers.

Great co-workers, not much room for growth

Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at ProAssurance full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat co-workers and supervisors, generous bonuses, relatively generous salary, nice office space.

ConsOpportunity for growth is minimal. Unless you have a law degree of some type, seems your doomed to be stuck in the same space. Upper Management is under the impression that the employees would prefer bonuses over an actual raise; uses surveys as a cover. Claims that they are facilitating top down communication. The surveys most likely go in the trash, because their has not been any relevant changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees more; you are a multi million dollar corporation, whose employees work extremely hard. There are many who would prefer to see an permanent increase to their paycheck, than a tactically released raise; we're smart, we realize you can tax that at 50%, versus what is allowable on a paycheck.

It was a good experience.

I worked at ProAssurance

ProsThe company has excellent bonuses.

ConsThe insurance benefits are not that good; compared to other companies.

I was allowed to be a professional and treated as such.

Claims (Current Employee)

I have been working at ProAssurance full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe company culture is one of success and teamwork. Since we work with professional individuals as clients (physicians, dentists, podiatrists, and attorneys), we are encourages to ensure they are treated fairly. Salaries are extremely competitive with generous benefits. Management is connected to the overall sentiment of the employees and seek to know how improvements can be made.

ConsTraining beyond industry needs is nonexistent. When I started, I came from the insurance industry but from a different genre than what ProAssurance offers. I asked if any designations/additional training is necessary. I was told that I did not need this type of training because I would be trained on the job. Unfortunately, I struggled during my second and third years as I had reached the extent of my knowledge. The only training I received was negative reviews coupled with constant reminders that needed to do better but no information on how to do it..

Fast forward several years after doing it my way, and being promoted, I read manuals for industry training. The information in these manuals was EXACTLY what I needed back then! That was a lesson for me. I must be persistent when I know I can benefit from a specific training.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the amount of educational benefit.

Just Ok

I have been working at ProAssurance

ProsCompany benefits, 37.5 hour work weeks

Consmicro managing, insufficient training at initial hiring then countless training sessions after you have been thrown out there to figure things out on your own. treated like children, no incentive to do well

Advice to Senior Managementif you are going to preach about treating people "fairly", learn to treat your workers "fairly"

Excellent.

I have been working at ProAssurance full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat company. I can’t speak for all salaries, but mine is about 25% more than most of my friends/peers with comparable education and in similar fields. I’m sure it varies widely by department and function, though. Benefits are solid. Vacation time is very good. The company makes a point to emphasize employee development and strives to promote internally (Cliché, but true). Stock is doing well and you can get options very quickly. Senior leadership seems hyper-competent and has direction. The customer sincerely comes first so you can go home feeling good about yourself. A national leader.

ConsAdmittedly, professional liability insurance and risk management consulting isn’t the sexiest field, but it can be interesting as you learn the nuances of it and all the details that play into your job function. Yes, some idiots slip into every company, but they’re few and far between here, and they don’t make it very far. It is a multi-billion dollar corporation, so some things can move somewhat bureaucratically, but relatively better than other corporations I’ve worked with. ProAss can be a bit conservative and slow to adopt new solutions and ways to solve problems, so it will be interesting to see how it affects them in the future, but I’m very happy here.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmbrace more change and try to reduce some of the bureaucracy to make the company more reactive to new situations.

Accountant

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at ProAssurance as an intern for more than a year

ProsGreat Company, great people, great benefits.

ConsLots of hours can be required at close

A good company, good benefits, positive culture, but light on salary & advancement

Senior Risk Management Consultant (Former Employee)
Birmingham, AL (US)

I worked at ProAssurance full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat benefits. Positive culture. Supportive environment. Good stability. Strong senior leadership.

ConsLower than average salaries paid. Difficult to advance, advancement decisions not based on merit.

Worked for ProAssurance? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ProAssurance reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for ProAssurance CEO W. Stancil (Stan) Starnes. All 11 reviews are posted anonymously by ProAssurance employees.