Progressive Business Publications

www.pbp.com

Progressive Business Publications Reviews

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Ed Satell

Pros
  • Casual work environment, realistic bosses usually willing to help out(in 11 reviews)

• Strong record of giving back to the community(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Vacation time, no natural light, company culture could be improved because the company seems silo'd at times between different business units(in 4 reviews)

• Upper management should be given an office(in 4 reviews)

Casual work environment where you are judged on your performance.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Malvern, PA (US)

ProsFlexible work environment where you are judged on your performance. The company understands that employees have the tools and are willing to work from home (nights, weekends if necessary) to have this flexibility. Upper Management is fair with setting goals and gives you the freedom to achieve those goals without micro managing as long as you have a sound plan in place. Progressive is making huge strides in improving IT and reporting capabilities, which should give the business units better tools to become more efficient and grow revenue.

Another big part of working at PBP is being part of their charitable foundation. The company supports the idea of giving back and is truly committed to the principal.

Lastly, working for the company has many perks, from sporting events to theatre tickets. They do a great job of spreading the perks throughout all levels of the organization.

ConsVacation time, no natural light, company culture could be improved because the company seems silo'd at times between different business units. High cube walls do not give the impression that the company focuses on team collaboration.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the casual work environment and freedom to have flexibility as long as you are hitting your goals/expectations - this is your biggest asset. Combine the vacation days and sick days, so employees have PTO days that they have the freedom to decide how to use. Tear down the cube walls, if putting managers in cubes was to support team collaboration and communication, then 5 foot cube walls is a major deterrent. Set, quarterly divisional/company goals that are visible to improve employee engagement and then set team building rewards for achieving... happy hour, bowling, football tickets, etc. Its a Win Win!!

The new employment development program as well as the overall increased focus on development will be rewarding for individuals, as well as the company. Truly Appreciated!

Good Opinion, Community Focused

Executive Ed (Current Employee) Malvern, PA (US)

ProsThe owner participates in a lot of community organizations and encourages paid time off for employees to participate. Great snow days because you can work from home. Casual work environment, realistic bosses usually willing to help out.

ConsOn site gym needs facelift to promote wellness, company could combine sick and vacation and give you upfront to manage.

Advice to Senior ManagementPost internal job openings so people can see there are career opportunities. More communication about business.

Challenging, flexible, empowering, and actually fun

ProsOpportunity to make a difference. Yes, you will be challenged to be good at what you do...need to be accountable, show a sense of urgency, and have a plan...specifically think with the end in mind when tackling a problem or a project. But that's what makes it empowering. There is clearly a Progressive model that has worked and that you need to learn and understand, but the opportunities to help tweak that model to make things better are there for those that can show reasons to make the changes.

Definitely a flexible work environment...I don't feel like everyone is watching my every move or worried if I came in by 8 and left after 5. What matters is the work you are doing and the impact you are having. I have the tools to work all weekend if I want, or catch up on stuff late at night, and when necessary leave a bit early to catch my kids sporting events.

The company is also committed to developing their employees. From the program designed for new employees to get acquainted with the company, other new employees, and long-standing employees, to the management training & development program recently implemented, to the Strength Finder activity they conducted, it's clear that the company is looking to advance their employees as best they can.

It doesn't hurt that we can have fun too. Numerous pizza parties, team events, tickets to sporting events, and dinner and great seats at the Walnut Street Theater all have been made available. Plus, something that doesn't get much publicity are the projects and nonprofits that Progressive supports through its charitable foundation.

ConsVacation time, promotions, not much natural light. Upper management should be given an office...without worrying about hurting the feelings of employees who have been around a long time. Structure could be better defined.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are hired at a high level, you should be treated as such. Having a hierarchy is ok if the right people are Managers. Then employees will have clearer direction and things will run smoother. Cubicle walls should come down, but if doing old school cubicles than director level employees should not be sitting in a smaller cubicle than a summer intern.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Results Oriented Empowerment with Competitive Spirit

CRM Director (Current Employee) Malvern, PA (US)

ProsThe company truly believes in the people it hires for the long-term. Lots of latitude with support to get the job done. Results and contribution are valued over pedigree and title. Candor and innovation are expected and rewarded eliminating any barriers to success and growth.

ConsSilo-ed organization and informal structure can create some lags in efficiency and best practice adoption. ON a personal level, the cons don't get in the way ...

An excellent place to work.

IT Department (Current Employee) Malvern, PA (US)

ProsPBP has a great atmosphere and great people. The work-life balance is great and I still have plenty of time for my family.

ConsThere are no con's I can think of off the top of my head, I truly enjoy the people and the atmosphere.

Good company, focused on sales & marketing.

Sales Manager (Current Employee) Malvern, PA (US)

ProsThe best part of PBP is that everyone is always open to new ideas and the management team is constantly looking for growth opportunities.

ConsThe biggest challenge is that sometimes there is not good teamwork between departments. At times there can be a "silo" approach or mentality to each business unit.

Advice to Senior ManagementPBP has a very good benefits program including profit sharing and 401k, so hopefully all that continues.

Great Experience!

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Reading, PA (US)

ProsThe Company offers allot of flexibility in it's scheduling, great for single Moms, students, etc.

ConsAs in any Sales environment, the Company expects results.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore Training for New Hires.

Overall positive experience; Lots of room to grow within the company.

Conference Producer (Current Employee) Malvern, PA (US)

ProsYou are never micromanaged in your position. Managers/upper-level employees check in, but allow you to do your work without breathing down your neck. There is always room to take on more job responsibilities, or work on special projects after you've established yourself there.

ConsSalary doesn't always match your job responsibilities. Often, people will either leave/get fired, and everyone is just expected to take on more responsibilities without any increase in salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the salaries/bonus pay (for the good employees) so they don't feel overworked/under paid.

Enjoy my job with stable company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Malvern, PA (US)

ProsGreat job stability, and they always plan for the long-term...hierarchy is very minimal, all voices are heard and they encourage new thoughts and creative ideas from all employees. Great opportunities to interact and share ideas with other departments; Benefits are top-notch

ConsPay could be a bit higher for some of the positions; and the need to update computer databases and network speed

Great environment for a self-motivated, energetic employee

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Malvern, PA (US)

ProsManagement empowers employees, you rarely feel micromanaged, friendly work environment, great opportunity for someone who wants to learn multiple facets of the publishing world

ConsIT resources are stretched thin so it's challenging to get projects completed

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease employee vacation days

Worked for Progressive Business Publications? Contribute to the Community!