Public Storage

Public Storage Reviews

Updated 31 August 2014
Updated 31 August 2014

2.6

Public Storage Vice Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, President, and CEO, PS Business Parks Ronald L. Havner Jr.
Ronald L. Havner Jr.

Pros
  • So you have a good work/life balance if you have things to get taken care of after 6pm (in 12 reviews)

• Working alone and having office/steady hours are about it (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Being a property manager is a difficult task with a lot of responsibility (in 65 reviews)

• All upper management is hired from outside the company and are trained by (in 45 reviews)

More Highlights

Opportunity to Make a Difference at a Top Company

Current Employee - Marketing  in  Glendale, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing in Glendale, CA (US)

I have been working at Public Storage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

We are a relatively small team for such a large company, which can make it easier to make a meaningful difference. You do still have to be willing to be creative and to work a bit to stand out. Public Storage also has a family feel at team birthday parties and holiday events. Even the CEO and other execs attend when they are in town. Our smaller, more efficient team also makes for a stronger profit margin and more stable employer, which means a lot to me.

Cons

Though I appreciate our structure and think it's efficient overall, sometimes having fewer peers can have drawbacks.

Choose your attitude when you come to work

Current Employee - District Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - District Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Public Storage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The opportunity with this company is what you make of it. If you are driven, competitive, able to motivate a team, hold them to a high level of performance and celebrate your victories, you can do very well at Public Storage. I have been here for three years and have enjoyed the opportunity to control my own destiny in the ways of my career path and earnings through competing for higher bonuses. Shame on current employees who are willing to accept a paycheck and turn around and blast the company (this or any) with negative reviews while still working there. If you're not happy, you should look somewhere else.

Cons

It's difficult to see people at tough transitions in their lives. Death, divorce, lost a job or home are common reasons why people need storage. As far as the company culture, I would like to see more incentives and/or contests for our property level teams. They will drive whatever you want driven with incentives attached to them.

The business model is rock solid. I'm happy to work for a company that I know will be there every morning when I wake up. As far as operations, I would like to see a DM committee that could share ideas at a higher level and help our processes evolve at the same speed as our results.

Not as promised

Current Employee - District Manager  in  Orlando, FL (US)
    Current Employee - District Manager in Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at Public Storage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Properties are only open from 9 AM to 6 PM.

Cons

Tenants call at all hours day or night. Company does not appreciate your input nor results,"in appreciation for all your hard work, we are going to be giving all the district managers a Polo shirt at the sales conference" Your immediate supervisor, a RM or SDM, can make a bad job worse. For a company that made 1.8B in profit last year, fixing anything at the properties is next to impossible. All PS cares about is money, how to make it and they will pay as little as possible to keep it. Everyone in the company refers every complaint to the DM, but we are not empowered to make any adjustments to rent increases, delinquency, pricing, etc.

If you tell the DMs to run their district like they owned it, let them. Denying every work order, having them get yelled at by tenants who have been there for 5 years because they got their 5th rent increase while not empowering them to make adjustments to the rent. Also, PS wants educated, motivated, DMs with lots of experience, but 2 days a month we cut locks, 2 days a month we sell at auction, and more and more we have turned into the trash haulers because we can't afford to pay anyone to pickup abandoned goods. Pay the DMs for everything you expect.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't get trapped

Current Employee - Property Manager
    Current Employee - Property Manager

I have been working at Public Storage full-time for more than a year

Pros

I like working alone for the most part. If you're taking night classes slow days are great to get some studying done.
    Position offers benefits if you can hack it.

Cons

As a Property Manager you have to deal with everything: cleaning, maintenance, customer service; which wouldn't be terrible if the pay was better.
    Safety is a concern, especially as I had someone who came in repeatedly and threatened me, basically saying she was going to keep coming back until she, "get[s] what she want[s]." My DM's position on this was a, "Sucks for you" attitude.
    Same thing goes for when the DM screws up. I had no running water for 2 weeks because someone did not get my backflow inspection done. He ignored notices from the water company for 6 months. Once again, it was a "Sucks for you" attitude. I never had 'drinking water' per say to begin with, but then I was without a sink or a toilet. I had to drive to a shopping center to use the restroom. In the meantime my DM called me constantly on the store phone to make sure I was still there and didn't decide to leave without telling him.
    The company refuses to pay to repair and maintain their properties. I have NO light at my location at night. This has been reported for months, but the company did not like the estimate given by various contractors to repair/replace my lighting.
    I get to deal with the customer complaints on no lights, holes in buildings, rate increases (which are extreme), and now I'm having health problems (so I'm trapped because this is where I get my benefits)
    The sales requirements are ridiculous. It is assumed you are not executing the script properly if you fail to sell a $20 lock to every customer. Most of these people rent their trucks from Uhaul. Same locks for $13.
    It would be nice to get a weekend off every once in awhile without having to fight for it. Only certain employees get all of the days off they want, including 3- and 4-day weekends. I cannot remember the last time I had a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday off.

If you have NEVER worked in an office for what we make, do NOT come in and tell us we are not doing our jobs correctly.
    Pay us what we're worth. The amount of pay is not commensurate to the responsibility.
    Invest in properly maintaining facilities. For how high the rent is and for how much you raise the rent each year, in addition to how much you don't pay your employees, you can afford to PROPERLY repair buildings. Stop slapping half-assed band-aids on everything.

Property Manager

Current Employee - Resident Property/Manager  in  Gaithersburg, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Resident Property/Manager in Gaithersburg, MD (US)

I have been working at Public Storage full-time for more than a year

Pros

The district managers at this company are hands-on and always there to help.
    The apartment that is offered is great incentive to become property manager.

Cons

Very pushy sales practices. Dealing with irate customers can be very unsafe at times. If I was unable to have a home security system, I would not live on the property. Pay is 9/hr when you are a property manager. If you were to get an off-site apartment and get paid regular, you would even out pretty much the same. Relief Managers rarely work at same location in the district, so there is quite a bit of travel to different locations. The company doesn't like to shell out too much money for maintenance.

District Manager is really a manager

Current Employee - District Manager
    Current Employee - District Manager

I have been working at Public Storage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stock when I was hired with a three year vestment. Other than that, as I look back at my two years there I see no pros.

Cons

Although they only hire experienced DMs I found the DMs who had been there the longest where ones who had never worked for a decent company in the past. This job is really a management job where you manage hourly employees who have no authority to make any decisions. The Senior DM is really the DM managing you, the manager.
    Work life balance is the absolute worst and a complete joke. You aRe expected to log in every day to make sure you employees made it to work. This means forget church, workouts, camping with no wifi, etc. God forbid one of your lame hourly employees call in sick at the last minute, show up late for work, or quit and you don't get your property opened up on time. The. An email goes out to every level of mgmt and if you didn't prereport it you are screwed.
    Summers you are expected to work six days a week for about three months with no other compensated day off. You literally have to send in reports several times a day on Saturdays and sometimes Sundays during this time reporting units rented, locks sold, etc. What a joke and another way for them to make your life miserable.
    Car mileage is a joke. I know it is the law but if you don't live near your territory you will be screwed.
    Management--- I don't know where to start. This is the most micro managed company you will ever work for. The CEO and upper management
    have their hand in everything from approvals to pay repairs on dilapidated storage units to 24/ 7 tabs on all their employees. They have huge egos And treat their employees poorly
    The regional meetings are unbelievable. The regional and seniors will literally practice their DM meeting presentations for hours so when the CEO and whoever else decides to attend their meeting, don't chastise them for having a bad meeting. We had a DM once who got fired because the CEO reported her to the rvp that she took her shoes off under the table during the meeting. True story !
    The annual reviews are a complete joke. The RVPs have to spend a week in California presenting their dm reviews to the CEO. What CEO has the time to manage every DM in the company! It is a complete dog and pony show.

I don't know where to stop so I'll stop here. Don't take a job here. It was a complete waste of my time. I was not fired or forced out by any means just got tired of working for such a crappy company

Work life balance! Promote hourlys from within. Treat your management with respect, don't just demand it by scaring them all

Although my incentive compensation was good, the stress of the job was not worth it.

Former Employee - District Manager Public Storage  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - District Manager Public Storage in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Public Storage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good stock incentive program. The potential bonus incentive helps offset the relatively low base pay. I had a good mentor who was in a similar position. Mentoring is a company best practice.

Cons

Poor working conditions, especially for the hourly Property Managers & Assistant Property Managers. Many times they do not get the opportunity to take 10-minute breaks. The company looks the other way in enforcing that employees get to take their breaks. Many of the self-storage properties do not have breakrooms for the employees. In those situations, the employees may have to eat in their cars, or in the office, which can lead to interuptions when a customer knocks on a locked office door.

For the salaried multi-unit positions, there is absolutely no work-life balance. They have to work 6-7 days a week and even then, find it difficult to stay caught up. Calls are fielded from customers at all hours (evenings & weekends). The company has a practice of eliminating the bottom 25% of employees at each level in the organization chart. It does not matter if you had a good prior year. Your area could have one bad quarter, and your job is at risk.

I had employees threatened by customers and had to work with legal counsel in getting restraining orders. My life was threatened as well by two customers. The self-storage industry is a tough one.

As far as Leadership at the company goes, they do maximize the return of the shareholder., but that comes at a cost. Customer service is poor, customers' rate increases are abundant, repairs at the properties are put off and the working conditions are poor.

My employees and I never saw any communication from Corporate Human Resources. It's the most silent department in the Company.

Look at your employee turnover.

Fire Me PLEASE!

Current Employee - Relief Manager  in  Lakewood, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Relief Manager in Lakewood, CO (US)

I have been working at Public Storage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Moving is such a stressful time, I really like the type of work, being able to help people when they need it the most.

Cons

Since I started to work for Public Storage, they have taken away bonuses and vacation time. They ask more on a daily basis that they themselves wouldn't or couldn't do. As property managers we asked to prostitute ourselves for the Google review and become "used car salesmen" when customers move in by selling them merchandise they don't need. All the bonuses for those sales going to the DM or RM. While the properties are falling apart, golf carts set with flat tires and dead batteries. Gates held together by wire coat hangers. But don't forget the raffle ticket that could win you $50.00 but just made your DM $500.00. I am tired of jumping thru hoops and doing cartwheels to sell merchandise and begging for Google reviews.

Remember who makes the money that pays your Bonus, imagine how much the company would make if you gave back the things you took away... The threat of loosing your job is no longer incentive enough to make me do the things that I feel are unethical. I was looking for a Job when I found this one.

Can You Hear The Squeak?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Glendale, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA (US)

I have been working at Public Storage for more than a year

Pros

Steady company that will keep you underemployed for as long as you can handle no growth opportunities.

Cons

This company epitomizes corporate greed. Don't be fooled from corporate to field management there is little to no concern for employees. Top management seems to receive large increases and bonuses while the CEO manages to take every benefit possible from lower and middle level employees. The HR department is far too small and to support the number of employees in the company and are relatively silent unless to support taking any incentives away. Your success here has nothing to do with skill or ability, no corporate reviews were delivered last year so expect little as a rule.

Develop a compensation department, deliver reviews and offer your employees a reason to have a vested interest in delivering results. You get what you pay for. Pathetic to see a successful company operate like they are closing tomorrow and employees are all dispensable. Try caring for corporate employees half as much as you care for yourselves.

Soulless corporation

Former Employee - Relief Manager
    Former Employee - Relief Manager

I worked at Public Storage full-time for less than a year

Pros

Sometimes there's downtime to read or do homework if it's exceptionally slow, and since they're open 7 days a week, there's more flexibility with scheduling

Cons

Overall poor communication between employees and management
    Robotic sales scripts favored over personality of individuals
    Kickbacks for your managers for everything you sell, but no commission for you
    Properties are in complete disarray, and upper management's solution is to Jimmy rig instead of actually fix anything
    Constant harassment from management about sales numbers and quotas
    Lazy coworkers that are kept around despite their incompetence

Grow a conscience, treat people like humans instead of cash cows.

Worked for Public Storage? Contribute to the Community!