Public Storage

Public Storage Reviews

Updated 20 January 2015
Updated 20 January 2015
2.9

Public Storage Vice Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, President, and CEO, PS Business Parks Ronald L. Havner Jr.
Ronald L. Havner Jr.

Pros
  • So you have a good work/life balance if you have things to get taken care of after 6pm (in 14 reviews)

• There are many oppurtunity to move up after the District Manager level (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Being a property manager is a difficult task with a lot of responsibility (in 70 reviews)

• Not once has any upper management ever looked at my goal board (in 49 reviews)

More Highlights

Ok if you want a stable job and don't want to work late nights.

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

On site apartments, you work no later than 6pm, you will never have to worry about company layoffs. Public Storage is debt free!!!

Cons

Too many unrealistic expectations from upper management. Could be a better company if they walked a mile in our shoes sometimes....

Try to reach out more to the little people!!! We are the drive train of this company!!!!

It's ok.

I have been working at Public Storage

Pros

No late nights
    It's a simple job

Cons

No growth and the pay could be better

Invest in your property and relief managers

So far, ok experience

Current Employee - Relief Manager in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Relief Manager in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Coworkers are nice, depending on the location you work at, the customers are nice too.

Cons

Having to drive to multiple locations. Pay is not enough based on what you do.

Easy job, nad if u have a family

Current Employee - Relief Manager in Honolulu, HI (US)
    Current Employee - Relief Manager in Honolulu, HI (US)

I have been working at Public Storage

Pros

The pay is good for the easy work you do.

Cons

If you have a family you can forget ever seeing them. The hours are not flexible. And you will always work weekends.

Listen to employees, who actually work at the locations.

Unfriendly!

Former Employee - Middle Management in Burbank, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Middle Management in Burbank, CA (US)

I worked at Public Storage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Conveniently located to a train station. Benefits and salary for corp. employees are pretty good.

Cons

The CEO has his fingers all over this company. No decisions are made without him knowing the situation. Executives feel their skills are not utilized as a result. For any employee, beware of politics. Within my first week there, a mid-level manager came to my office and warned me himself to be careful; I learned from The Godfather, and stayed away from him too. But he was right; the corp. employees are not very friendly nor are they very nice. If you can just do your job and go home, you'll be fine.

Be ware too, that to take a holiday day off (e.g. 4th of July), you have to accumulate time like you would for a sick day or vacation day.

Let your executives do their jobs. Be better to your employees.

Public Storage is a great place to work, IMO.

Current Employee - Relief Manager in Whitehall, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Relief Manager in Whitehall, PA (US)

I have been working at Public Storage

Pros

Ive been working for public storage for some time now, and i cant say i relate to the reviews im seeing on here. From the beginning, the SDM who hired me has been very confident in my abilities. He has shown me much encouragement & continously gives me props for what i do. My DM is absolutely phenomenal. He listens to my every need and responds to every text message and call almost immediately. He also gives me a sense of security, he lets me know hes here for me and hes got my back. I dont know if its the region im in, but in my district we work as a team. I couldnt be happier. For those complaining about numbers and scripts, we are SALES people. Of course theyre going to expect good numbers from us!

Cons

Having to work every weekend lol , but of course you know this will be required from the moment you are interviewed. If youre going to complain about it, just dont take the job.

Reward the SDMs and DMs who actually try to work with their team as a family. They are also put under much pressure. Employees should be able to review their managers so you can see past the numbers.

Utter and sheer dissapointment

Current Employee - Property Manager
    Current Employee - Property Manager

I have been working at Public Storage

Pros

Decent hours, nice DM's, and some pretty cool customers. The company itself aims to please employees, but that is sadly overridden by the cons.

Cons

Where do I begin. I have been around this company for many years. Starting out, it was a great place to work. This company, about 6 years ago or so, truly cared for its employees and customers. The rapid decline began about 3 years ago or so. Here is what is wrong with this company. Your Regional Managers are DESTROYING this company. They FORCE property managers and relief managers to break company policy constantly. I do not think corporate has any idea what is going on, and if they do.. shut it down... just shut it down and hire robots before you continue to employ actual humans who can see straight through the BS we are shoved every single day. We are told to DO GOOGLE MAPS reviews IN OFFICE and type it on the customers phone. That is not only against google policy, but against policy for the company as well. We are forced TO PACKAGE lock insurance and merch merch merch... DM's are ADVISING PM's TO ADD IN MERCH WITHOUT CUSTOMER EVEN KNOWING!!! Do you know why corporate? Well to tell you, it is THEIR BONUS. They will do things the wrong way, break company policy LEFT AND RIGHT, and they take it out on us. We are ALL scared to say anything. And that is just scratching the surface. They wont fix anything, because their maintenance is a BONUS metric. We are told to TELL CUSTOMERS to bring flashlights to their units because the lighting is not a priority. I can go on and on and on.. .but IM telling you this is TERRIBLE.... You have many LONG TERM employees who are jetting because they are being treated terribly. All it is about is regional manager and DM bonus, they DO NOT CARE About pm's or reliefs.... Anyone who refers to the rules set by corporate is told that those are just guidelines and that they can do what they want. Let that sink in....

You need to really check out your Regionals and see the true fear they are instillling if they do not get their bonus checks. They are running everyone off, especially the hard working ones. Get rid of the Favorites game bonus, and start appreciating people who work hard, not just kiss butt and look good on paper. Oh and PROMOTE from within!!!!

My Second Home

Current Employee - Manager- Corporate
    Current Employee - Manager- Corporate

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Being a part of a dynamic company who is the leader in the industry gives me an incentive to want to contribute my best effort and do my share to tackle the chalenges to not only become number one in the industry but to stay number one. Been with the company over 22 years and created friendships that are dear to me which I would not replace for anything else. This is my second home and its leadership inspires me to perform at work the same way I would perform for my own business.

Cons

Field employees often change and when turnover occurs and you are dependant on information support, you'll have to find a way to obtain it regardless.

More training to new hires to learn and understand company policies and procedures.

Extremely low integrity at this company!

Former Employee - Relief Manager in Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Relief Manager in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Public Storage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Daytime work schedule, completely independent work environment.

Cons

Unscrupulous business tactics, tenants units broken into daily, rigid scripts, low pay, schedule varies drastically, co-workers are catty backstabbers, no appreciation whatsoever. No security measures to protect employees, the office I worked in had bullet holes in the wall behind my head and I frequently had isolated encounters showing units to drug addicts and gang members who where off the hook.

A complete ethics overhaul.