Publix

Publix Reviews

Updated Apr 18, 2014

Publix CEO and Director Ed Crenshaw

Ed Crenshaw

Pros:
  • "Great benefits; amazing 401k options; willing to work with a college student's schedule"
    in 69 reviews
  • "Good first job for (well-mannered) teens who need experience in customer service"
    in 56 reviews
Cons:
  • "Part-time employees get no real benefits until a year after employment or you become a full-time"
    in 98 reviews
  • "People who can only work part time only get to work ONE DAY per week at times"
    in 59 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Wonderful company to work for

Customer Service Staff (Current Employee)
Charleston, SC (US)

I have been working at Publix full-time for more than a year

ProsWonderful benefits, there is always a opportunity to grow with the company if you are willing to put the time and effort into it.

ConsHours are always a downside to the grocery business. you can never have a set schedule if you would like to get into management. along with that sometime you do not have enough help to meet the needs of the customers. considering that is what we strive for as a company.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers should be more understanding and willing to help out when needed. I know there job is to observe and mentor others, but sometimes we are short handed and need the extra helping hand from our management team.

Rewarding career with endless growth opportunities

Customer Service Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Publix full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThere are endless avenues for advancement. Whether you want to pursue management at the store level, transfer to warehousing or support, there are very few positions that require a college degree. Most pre-requisites simply require experience with the company in certain positions. The company provides very thorough training and development for every single position. For management positions they do separate leadership development courses, informal mentorship programs, and various other supportive coaching methods.

Pay is above average for the industry. Management pay is excellent, though major fluctuations in yearly income can result if moved from a higher profit store to a lower profit store, since a large portion of yearly pay is based on bonuses.

Benefits are fantastic. Two retirement programs -- 401k with 50% company match up to a maximum of $750 per year, and an ESOP that results in the company giving associates shares of stock equal to a percentage of their gross pay for the year. The company firmly believes that associate ownership of the company helps ensure that it continues to be successful, and it's been an extremely successful model ever since it was created.

Health insurance is adequate, though not as good as a national or multinational company would have. Weekly costs are not exorbitant.

Life insurance is provided for any full-time associates free of cost.

Also, four paid sick days per year (can be taken as hours as well), paid vacation (four weeks after 16 years of service), holiday bonuses (two-weeks pay for store associates and management, one week of which can be taken as paid vacation instead, if so desired), paid holidays, tuition reimbursement etc.

Flexible scheduling, but even more so for part-time associates. An excellent place for those in school.

Lot's of volunteer opportunities. The company is very focused on giving back to the community and regularly has opportunities to volunteer your time to assist the community for various projects such as food for sharing.

Responsive and helpful corporate support departments. Very effective and return phone calls/emails promptly and helpfully.

ConsOccasionally management promotion decisions can be made a bit hastily in trying to fill needed positions, which can sometimes result in choosing the wrong person for the job. This can be costly in many ways -- wasted money in training and coaching programs for the manager, and having to replace associates that leave because they are working under a manager that isn't the right fit. Sometimes it may be better to go without for a while rather than promote someone who isn't right for the position.

Very slow to adapt to technological advances. This is both a bad thing and a good thing since it usually results in better-planned implementation of new technology. However, it's harder to catch up to competitors that have been offering certain things for years. The up and coming generation is extremely quick to adapt to new technology and will choose retailers that offer them something new and exciting in their experience over those slow to respond. We have to be more innovative and take more risks.

Management work-life balance is very difficult to achieve. While in theory there are mandated guidelines for maximum weekly work hours, in practice these aren't treated terribly seriously. Reducing the hour requirement for managers will result in well-rested, happier managers who are going to be more productive and treat their associates better.

Bizarre fluctuating work week pay (salary with chinese overtime) for management with a large portion of yearly pay based in bonuses.

Work environment can vary drastically from store to store depending on the store manager. Some are excellent, invest in their team's growth, collaborate, train, and are not afraid of accountability. Others can be power-hungry, not open to suggestions for improvement, overly-demanding, inconsistent, not fair (show favoritism), etc. The entire climate of the store begins with the store manager -- this position is critical for both the associates/managers working there and the customers' perception of our company as a whole. I heard a store manager say that they are 'gatekeepers of the Publix brand,' which hits the nail right on the head.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone of these are complaints, and are really intended as suggestions through my years of experience.

Some upper management (district managers, etc), can be overly critical while not providing adequate coaching to help operations improve. Instead of criticizing, step back and try to evaluate why the problem is happening and collaborate with the store management team to find solutions to get things up to standard. Providing critical insight, sharing experiences with the same issues, and taking the time to teach and train will not only earn you respect, but will result in a much stronger company as a whole. Most of our store management teams really love the company and want to do a great job. Support them and treat them with the same dignity and respect that you want them to treat their associates with and our company will benefit greatly.

Revisit how management associates are paid. A large percentage of our yearly pay is based off of bonuses, which vary greatly depending on the profit of the individual store. Many times, what store management ends up at can simply be what was available at the time. It becomes quite a bit of luck. While there is an argument that larger stores with higher profit are more difficult to manage, this is not really the case because of the amount of support you have. Not only that, but being higher profit, you can afford to make mistakes with ordering supplies, or scheduling improperly. In smaller, low-profit stores, there is very little support (hourly help). You have to be sharp and very careful with how every dollar is spent -- payroll or otherwise. It takes a good manager to successfully run a department or a store that is relatively low volume/profit. However, these stores are not financially rewarding for the managers that work there. I would just suggest evening out management pay between stores -- either give identical bonuses (find some sort of company average), or do away with bonuses all together and boost weekly salaries to even it out. Either way would be better than the current system. Instead of 'punishing' poor performing managers by sending them to a low-volume, low-profit store to try to 'push them to resign', actually coach and counsel these managers. Stop shifting problems around and get rid of them. There is an endless amount of associates motivated and enthusiastic that would happily take these positions. Why allow someone who is consistently underperforming to remain in such a high-paying position? This point goes from entry level management all the way to the top. We should not be afraid to sever our relationships with any associate -- management or otherwise -- that has proven through performance and through lack of any progress after consistent coaching that they are not the right fit for our company or their position.

This brings me to another point: Occasionally, bad managers are left in their positions because of a lack of candidates for the job. When this occurs regularly, the company should start to reflect on why no one is interested in the positions. I've personally asked this question and the responses are generally the same: too many required work hours (no real work-life balance), and bizarre pay that is unreliable for long-term financial planning (can drastically fluctuate from store to store). As a company, we need to do a better job of making management positions appealing to younger talent -- and younger talent is much less content with working a job with huge hour requirements, lack of work-life balance, and unreliable yearly income. We need to lure more highly educated and experienced managers to our company. Making management positions more appealing will help with this a lot.

Revisit management work hour requirements. Well-rested, happier managers will not burn out as quickly and will not only be more productive, but will be much easier to work for and with. This goes across the board for ALL managers at ALL levels.

Every department should have an hourly team leader position. Customer Service and Grocery both benefit greatly from the management training these positions receive. Associates promoted from these positions appear to be more successful initially in adapting to the expectations and requirements of management. In other departments lacking such a position, the transition can be especially difficult. Many managers step down in their first year -- I'm willing to bet that it happens much more often in departments without team leader positions. Also, creating these manager-in-training positions in other departments can help ease up the workload on the managers, which would make it easier to pull back their worked hours. Investing in these positions will really help us groom future managers to be successful in the long run, and help give existing managers a little more support and breathing room in order to operate at a higher level. It would free them up to manage more, rather than be so absorbed in production on a daily basis.

Overall, I am extremely grateful for all of the opportunities I have been provided so far, and the many I still have open for me. Every suggestion above is made with the sole purpose of making our company better -- not to gripe.

Cashier

Cashier (Current Employee)
Kissimmee, FL (US)

I have been working at Publix part-time for less than a year

ProsIt's a really good place to work. The really focus in customer service. The customers are happy to shop there and from what I can see, most of the associates like to work there, they seem happy. Also the company has good benefits, even some of them for part time associates.

ConsThe con that I see is is not medical. There's nothing related to the medical field.

Good

I have been working at Publix

ProsGreat Company, with outstanding benefits. Salary position with great bonuses and end of year bonus. Retail is Retail long hours but very fun and the best customers.

ConsUpper management outside of store team. Will not listen, and your slowly becoming just another number. Slow down and understand your past leaders and also the people that made Publix, Publix

Advice to Senior ManagementWe are loosing good people and no ones raises a question to why.

If you are in college, WORK HERE

Customer Service Staff (Current Employee)

I have been working at Publix part-time for more than 5 years

ProsThey have fantastic flexibility on scheduling
They provide tuition reimbursement program that could get you at least a full year at an expensive college
Other fantastic benefits
STOCK STOCK STOCK, BUY THE STOCK! They have dividends twice a year and it is going nowhere else but UP!

ConsManagers at the store level (such as Customer Service Manager, Assistant Store Manager, e.t.c) could be unprofessional at a lot moments and are hard to cooperate with from an employee's point of view

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management invests in a monthly programs to educate their workers. My advice is to have some more training for management professionalism because I have seen some coworkers get yelled at and I have personally been snapped at to my face and told "leave" the room because he had to answer a important call when he called us in there for a quick meeting in the first place.

One big pointer is the fact that the Publix Mission Statement is very POWERFUL. I have worked there since I was 14 years old. I looked at the mission statement as just a bunch of words they want us to memorize, never once were they ever explained. When I started pursuing my degree in accounting, I was taught a lot about how a business works. That is when I realized how powerful that statement is and understood it's concepts. Explain the Mission Statement rather than having people just memorize it.

Great First Job!

Cashier (Former Employee)
Sarasota, FL (US)

I worked at Publix part-time for more than 5 years

ProsFlexible hours, plenty of co-workers where you can always find someone to get along with. Good benefits and pay is raised at a decent amount throughout your career there.

ConsManagers can be 50/50. Tasks can be monotonous sometimes and you find yourself in the same rut staring at the clock.

Advice to Senior ManagementKepp doing what your doing!

Great company.

I have been working at Publix

ProsGreat benefits, amazing people to work with, and you can have a great time.

ConsSome co workers and customers can get annoying but that comes with any job.

Publix is a Pleasure all around.

I have been working at Publix part-time

ProsPublix offers many benefits and flexible hours to its employees. You form relationships with your customers and coworkers. It can be a pretty good work environment.

ConsYou do get the disgruntled customer every once in a while, but that's the grocery business for you.

Great!

Produce Clerk (Current Employee)
Athens, GA (US)

I have been working at Publix part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat benefits, caring management who want you to succeed and will help you do so. Happy atmosphere, most of the time.

ConsThere aren't many cons. It might be hard moving up the ladder depending on location because those positions aren't being given up.

Fun Job

Meat Clerk (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Publix part-time for less than a year

ProsAlways on the go
Good pay

ConsNone at this time great company

Worked for Publix? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Publix reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Publix CEO Ed Crenshaw. All 963 reviews are posted anonymously by Publix employees.