Publix

3.7
1,365 Reviews

Publix CEO and Director Ed Crenshaw
Ed Crenshaw

Pros
  • Great benefits; amazing 401k options; willing to work with a college student's schedule (in 102 reviews)

• Good benefits and pay is raised at a decent amount throughout your career there (in 79 reviews)

Cons
  • I'm pretty sure this is illegal if I am not converted to a full-time employee but make (in 135 reviews)

• People who can only work part time only get to work ONE DAY per week at times (in 79 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for. They expect a little more from you but they take really good care of their employees!

Former Employee - Assistant Produce Manager in Hilton Head Island, SC (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Produce Manager in Hilton Head Island, SC (US)

I worked at Publix

Pros

I worked for Publix for 6 years. I was a manager 4 of those years. In all of the time that I was with them they took really great care of me. They expect a little more from their managers but they compensate them much better than any other grocery store. They equip their people far better than any other grocery store I have worked at. If you are seeking a long term career Publix is the place. Be willing to start out the bottom, set your sights on management, work hard and be faithful and you will get there quickly. The retirement is awesome with Publix. In the 6 years I was there I accumulated 20000 dollars in stocks just from what they gave me. They are all employee owned, and don't suffer fools. Meaning that if your not all in It might not be the place for you.

Cons

Sometimes upper management can forget to acknowledge and appreciate the good work of their employees. Their are different ways to get the same results. Personalities vary from store to store so it in one store you could have the misfortune of seek leadership though Publix is usually pretty good about spotting that and helping their managers to become better.

Coach your team. Don't talk down, or beat them down. Bring them up to the standard, raise the bar. If people are willing to meet you at the half way point then work with them. help them get better

Better than big box chains

Former Employee - Pharmacy Intern in Birmingham, AL (US)
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Intern in Birmingham, AL (US)

I worked at Publix as an intern (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pharmacy in a grocery store atmosphere, so customers can go do their shopping while waiting for their prescription instead of standing there staring at you (of course they did this too, but not as much). Lower volumes of prescriptions, not as corporate as CVS or Walgreens which was very nice.

Cons

Working as an intern - you have to work at least once every 28 days or you are kicked out of the system and sometimes is very hard to get back in. I worked there for 3 years and this happened to me, now I can't get a job.

Value your past employees a little better.

Family like workplace. No employee discounts. Great opportunities!

Former Employee - Cashier in Saint Petersburg, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Saint Petersburg, FL (US)

I worked at Publix

Pros

Help with school money. Learning from THE BEST about true customer service. Very accommodating to a disabled employee (cane/wheelchair/stool to sit on).

Cons

Transferring to a different store brings it's own challenges. But once they realize you're a hard worker, well trained & capable on the register...it gets better!

my work

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Hollywood, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Hollywood, FL (US)

I worked at Publix

Pros

Excellent leadership, good salary, pleasant staff

Cons

no cons,everything is great, all the buyers are satisfied

everything is perfect

Challenging work environment with many avenues to progress through the company.

Current Employee - Customer Service Staff in Winter Springs, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Staff in Winter Springs, FL (US)

I have been working at Publix part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible Schedule. Good Management. Great benefits for a retailer, with an expanding market.

Cons

Unfortunately with the size of the company individuals are less important. There is always people ready to take your job so your personal needs are not usually weighed in. They are slowly cutting associate benefits especially to part timers while also cutting full time positions.

Remember were you started and how Publix became successful in providing customer service by treating their employees right.

Just drink the Kool-Aid.

I have been working at Publix full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Training always available, culture is prevalent, updated management pay is quite nice, the theory of how the company is supposed to work is enjoyable...

Cons

...however, the "good ol' boy" idea of promotion and promoting based on how much one is liked is ridiculous. If a store is failing, look at the management...don't promote a manager within that store, if their department is falling apart.

Listen to those that have been around for a while and know what they're talking about. Be willing to listen and actually do something about it, not just pretend you care.

Great atmosphere

Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Orlando, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at Publix full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It took about an month for the interview the process took about an month, the management was very structured and friendly I immediately was offered the position following the interview and was placed in a room where I then signed paper work and then they administered the drug screening. Overall the interview was pretty laid back and they asked various questions pertaining to my work history and how it relates to the position in which i was applying and I applied for warehouse person. I can say i really look forward to my journey working for the company. Great benefits, numerous recognition from fortune overall this employer i can say acknowledges their employees and contributes giving back to the community and also you can build a long term career path within the employer being that they are

Cons

None the company is very beneficial for an individual to apply or work at

Very friendly and professional

Current Employee - Cashier/Bagger in Dothan, AL (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier/Bagger in Dothan, AL (US)

I have been working at Publix part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Helps gain customer service and speech skills. The co-workers are professional and friendly, and more than willing to help out when a new hire comes along. The starting pay rates are great, and there are many benefits for both part time and full time employees. There are plenty of opportunities for advancement, raises, and learning new skills. You can even work in different departments, depending on what you decide, over time.

Cons

Customers can be rude, no discounts on company products.

It's a company that focuses on both employees and customers.

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Sarasota, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Sarasota, FL (US)

I have been working at Publix part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The managers really do care about your life both within and outside the workplace. At my particular location, my co-workers treat me with the same level of respect as they do the customers.

Cons

This company is pretty strict when it comes to professionalism, being on time, etc., but that's, of course, expected when working with a good company. It's not a huge drawback, but be aware of what to expect.

Make sure to have a detailed plan for training. It's pretty much train as you go, but it would be helpful if grocery store first timers had a little more structured guidance.

I'm tired, but I'm having fun and paid well.

Current Employee - Front Service Clerk in Savannah, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Front Service Clerk in Savannah, GA (US)

I have been working at Publix part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I adore my coworkers (or most of them). I get along very well with everyone, it is a friendly environment, and I feel very valued. My managers are nice, and my store manager is a saint. My very first job and he started me at $9/hr, couldn't be more thankful. Very flexible schedule.

Cons

My training was very lackluster and slack, with minimal thought going into it. One of my coworkers has made a homophobic comment. Sometimes, the publix "standard" can be more rude then polite to customers. The rudest? 2+2 rule at checkout: Even if there is a baby or a purse, pull the cart forward and away from the customer, put two hands on the cart, and SAY (DO. NOT. ASK!) That you are taking it out, or ask which way to their car. The customer has absolutely no choice. They can say no, but then you are told to INSIST. If they say no again, they may go on their way. Personally, this is invasive, and customers frequently look at me like I'm crazy.

Pay. Attention. To. Training. Some of my nightly jobs, I have no flipping clue how to do. The orientation day told me everyone gets shown around the store by their manager, and jobs explained. That never happened, I didn't even know where the fire exits were. Do not get on to your employee for not knowing something you never even told them. I really appreciate when my manager takes notice that I've put a lot of effort into the day, so keep letting employees know they've done well. Also, I feel customer service staff should be consulted for cashier and bagger evaluations. I do a lot of things for that staff that my managers never see. Often, I'm eager to help them finish the nightly jobs along with my already assigned job, but the manager is usually in the back at night and never sees this. Also, they watch me all day, send me to check for carts, I think they may see or notice me more than my very busy managers. Please do not let customer service staff get away with things that we can not. MANY times when a customer service member is bagging near me, I hear them ASK to take the groceries to the car, something I get scolded for, and the managers do not even blink. I've even heard the team leader ask. That's just not fair.