Qualcomm

Updated Jul 28, 2014

3.8 1,542 reviews

Qualcomm CEO Steve Mollenkopf

Steve Mollenkopf

Pros
  • Great work-life balance, stable company, great sense of contribution to the world (in 103 reviews)

• Good chance to work on latest and cutting edge technology (in 100 reviews)

Cons
  • Management does not seem to care about the work life balance of its employees (in 93 reviews)

• I worked extremely long hours without receiving even a 'thank you' in most cases (in 74 reviews)

More Highlights
1,542 Employee Reviews

Good company to work for

Staff Engineer (Current Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsGood place to work. Good number of opportunities within the company

ConsToo big of a company. A bit difficult to get out of the rut if you get in a poor division or group

Great company to work for!

Senior Staff Engineer (Current Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsTons of challenging engineering problems to solve. Great work life balance. Its in San Diego, which is a fantastic city to live in, weather, beaches, outdoors. Compensation is merit based, so if you are performing well the bonuses and stock grants every 6 months will reflect that.

ConsIts hard to collaborate between teams. Multiple painful and time consuming processes that are more optimized towards integrators and bug tracking then towards streamlined development and engineering. The company is top middle heavy with too many directors and sr directors.

Exccelllent organization, challenging work, great co-workers and a good market position.

Senior Staff Engineer/Manager (Current Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsYou will be working with some of the best people in the trade. Qualcomm has been carving a stronger and stronger market position for itself. This makes the company comfortable in taking risks (nor all of which pay off) - hence innovations is highly prized (second only to execution)

Compensation is good. The company adjusts to any changes in the external marketplace readily and quickly. This means that it shall not be the "most' you can get - but you will be very close - and hopefully the other intangibles will more than make up for any difference.

People at Qualcomm are very helpful and collaborative. Team spirit is present everywhere. Generally speaking everyone is competent and many are arguably the best in the business.

ConsWith a few exceptions, Qualcomm does not make end products directly. It must read the minds of large cell phone makers, network providers etc. There is always a difference that must be compensated when shipping the product.

So, in several teams - especially which work on customer facing roles, life shall be very busy - and even chaotic - with a lot of pressure. If there is factory that has stopped making phones - or a phone's launch is at stake - all because of a bug you are working on, the pressure (and visibility) can be intense.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn general Management does a very good job keep it up.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company, Good perks

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsGreat Work culture
    Great knowledge gain

ConsWork Life Balance
    Salary Could be better

Advice to Senior ManagementLook in to the market value and Inflation and adjust salary accordingly

Great place to work

Intern (Current Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsGood compensation in engineering industry.
    Awesome working environment. Friendly staffs

ConsRepetitive work
    SG branch still small

Advice to Senior Managementmore r&d opportunities

Perfect place to do an internship

Design Verification Intern (Current Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsGood project which helps you get familiar with practical skills of industry level; You have a great mentor to help your learning; Good pay; Also they provide the interns with fantastic housing!

ConsI would say for internship, Qualcomm is almost perfect!

Engineer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proswork on the leading technologies

ConsGreat company to work for

Advice to Senior ManagementGood work

Excellent place to work

Senior, Staff Systems Analyst (Current Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsExcellent benefits, leadership and career growth

ConsWork place can get boring at times

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep people engaged with interesting work

Long Hours and good compensation

Senior Engineer (Former Employee) Hyderābād (India)

ProsGood Learning curve
    Good compensation and benefits
    Smart people
    Very process oriented

ConsLoooonnggg hours
    Internal competition for promition and bonuses can sometimes be way too cut throat and unfair

Great place

ProsOne of the point I can add in Pros is "Pay Scale"

ConsProcess is the Cons I can think of

Worked for Qualcomm? Contribute to the Community!