Qualcomm

3.9
1,741 Reviews

Qualcomm CEO Steve Mollenkopf
Steve Mollenkopf

Pros
  • Great work-life balance if you're on the high-level software teams (in 131 reviews)

• Exposure of cutting edge technology, Fast paced environment (in 114 reviews)

Cons
  • Management does not seem to care about the work life balance of its employees (in 114 reviews)

• I worked extremely long hours without receiving even a 'thank you' in most cases (in 90 reviews)

More Highlights

Politics that would embarrass D.C.

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, lots of free gyms on premises, free soda and candy. They also are good about amount of vacation time, given, with five weeks given after ten years of employment.

Cons

The politics are so bad, you think you're watching the San Diego spin-off of House of Cards. People that excel usually have the title of "butt-kisser" in their job descriptions.

Recognize that promotions should be based on accomplishments, not apple polishing. Also, there are often ideas that are valuable that get squashed just because the senior execs egos get bruised.

Great place to learn but no opportunities for career growth

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get to work on bleeding edge technology, work hours are flexible

Cons

Promotions are given based on how long you serve at the company, not how hard you work or how many years of total experience you have. Career growth is extremely slow if you are not in the modem software development team.

Evaluate your employees based on how hard they work for the betterment of the company but not how long they have served in a given title/position. Eligibility for promotions should be based on your employees' total experience but not how many years they have stayed stagnant in a given title/position.

Work life balance takes a major toll

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1) Perks
    2) Working on cutting edge technologies

Cons

1) Work life balance is non-existent. One often needs to work late and even work on weekends to keep up with expectations.
    2) Everything is urgent and everything needs immediate attention. Work often gets pretty stressful.
    3) People are more focused on themselves and often unwilling to help.

Qualcomm very good place to start career

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good for starting a career for software engineers. work for 2 to 3 years you'll learn a lot and after that you do well if you are a superstar category. If you like to write software which sits very close to the hardware then this is a great place for you. It is also great place if you want to work in research (RF, modem, wireless) as qc puts $1billion+ in R&D every year.

Cons

In software groups, moving up on the ladder is through curve fitting like min 3+ years in title unless you are a super star. work-life balance is not a focus at lower titles. San diego is not a great place for software jobs so your best buddies from past years may not be around to hangout with you. If you don't care much for those friends and fully driven by work then Qualcomm is the place for you.

Below average salary and HR don't negotiate

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time

Pros

1. Good Work
    2. Smart people

Cons

very less salary and even if you have a competing offer they won't negotiate.

Increase your payscale otherwise smart people will leave your company.

Great company for anything hardware/chip related, not so great for anything else

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you love to write low level commercial code that will go into Qualcomm's chips thereby impacting their bottomline, Qualcomm is a great company to work for. The benefits are top of the line and there is good work life balance.

Cons

Not much focus on areas other than those that impact their chipset bottomline. Low contributions to the open source community compared to other big companies. As far as research is concerned, in any area other than wireless, more emphasis is laid on short term gain rather than long term impact.

Need to be less averse to risks and increase emphasis on longer term projects. Improve contributions to the open source community and research/science in general.

San Diego Rocks..Qualcomm is Interesting

Current Employee - Senior Director in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Director in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Strong commitment to innovation and learning
    Passion for technology
    Strong ethical and business standards

Cons

Top talent leaving because of politics
    No Women leaders or career path for women-there is a literal glass ceiling
    Limited to no business acumen - all lawyers and engineers

Get a real HR department
    Executives need to get in alignment and make some tough calls vs letting people fight it out
    Drive for transparency and collaboration - team work vs. individual work

No feedback

Current Employee - Analyst in America, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Analyst in America, OK (US)

I have been working at Qualcomm as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Qualcomm was a great place to work. I worked closely with 7 other technicians, 3 software developers, 1 lead, 1 manager, 3 Logistics handlers, 2 Administers, and approximately 12 planners...
    I worked on the night shift with 3 other technicians. I was working in a temporary position through Manpower, my contract expired and Qualcomm currently has a hiring freeze so they could not roll me into a permanent position yet... If I wait 3 months I can roll back into Qualcomm under manpower again, but I am looking for a more permanent position.

Cons

No feedback or room for advancement, negative experience working there. Hard to balance work life and personal life also.

None

Good company to work for.

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits + salary. Good engineering team.

Cons

Hard to move up the ladder.

It's not what it used to be!

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Competitive salaries and compensation, although no longer the leader in San Diego.

Cons

Too many redundant people! It is difficult to get consensus, and Qualcomm is a very much an approval by consensus organization, to make the necessary decisions. Politics have exploded over the past year with the departure of Dr. Jacobs. Like someone else has posted, unless you are an EE you really don't have any upward mobility.

Reduce the redundant headcount. While we still have the code, we have lost the recipe. We need to get back to what made working for this company a great experience. Didn't mind working 12-15 hours before because we were respected and compensated for what we did. Now we are treated like 9-5 employees, well guess what you get when that happens.