Qualcomm

Updated Jul 30, 2014

3.8 1,546 reviews

Qualcomm CEO Steve Mollenkopf

Steve Mollenkopf

Pros
  • Great work-life balance, stable company, great sense of contribution to the world (in 103 reviews)

• Good chance to work on latest and cutting edge technology (in 100 reviews)

Cons
  • Management does not seem to care about the work life balance of its employees (in 93 reviews)

• I worked extremely long hours without receiving even a 'thank you' in most cases (in 74 reviews)

More Highlights
1,546 Employee Reviews

Nice as of now

Associate Engineer (Current Employee) Hyderābād (India)

Prosthe work life balance and the people here are really understanding and the open door policy

ConsBeing the world number 1 fabless semiconductor company, its compensation doesn't reflects that.

Less than that of a government job

Used to be great!

I T Engineer (Former Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsGreat campus, great food. Challenging environment.

ConsQualcomm is a VERY large company and I can only speak for I.T. As with most large companies they tend to get management heavy. Management has to justify their position and in turn spend endless hours thinking of ways to tighten the noose. Things were much more creative and relaxed several years ago, now it is like kindergarten, constant reports, time cards, metrics and such. Raises have all but ceased and the great stock options are now a few RSU's.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the great people that Qualcomm works so hard to recruit do their jobs. Stop with the constant babysitting mentality.

Management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA (US)

ProsOffer internal online courses for employees to keep up w/programs, regulations and/or learn new programs.

ConsAcquisitions happen left and right which is great for the company but bad for current employees. New management often has no real experience and are put in management roles above those that should be managers. Unfortunately, this is how departments quickly go down hill and sometimes get eliminated.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote those that fit the role not those that just talk about being great. If they can't even do what they ask their team to do then demote and put someone in place that can take the team to the next level.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Strong company with limited opportunities for growth.

Senior Staff Engineer (Former Employee) Orlando, FL (US)

ProsReasonable work hours and wages. Opportunities to work on interesting products. Rich history of leadership in certain technologies on cellular, mobile phones, etc.

ConsPoor opportunities for progress in technical roles, no support for long term career planning, excessive levels of office politics and internal rivalry.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more assertive with management of acquired companies. Provide better opportunities for career development, with a greater focus on long term goals.

Very average

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

Pros- Benefits, which you may not be fully able to use if working 14+ hours a day
    - Great health plan.
    - QCT is totally manager/lead dependent. If manager/lead is reasonable, strong and powerful, you can go places. If not, you will go nowhere, even if you work hard.
    - Exciting work.

Cons- Some QCT teams have reversed pyramid structure. Number of Senior Staff Managers > Number of Staff Managers > Number of Senior Engineers > Number of Engineers. Hence lower levels in QCT, bear the brunt of work, because except for a few technically good mid level managers, most sit in meetings all day to increase their sphere of influence.

- People can steal work and claim it their own. Advertise your work to more folks than your lead.

- Some QCT managers, have no management skill. They have the title to just increase their influence.

- Matrix structure for reviews. Find the most important senior player (manager, director etc) in the team and make him/her happy. Very political place.

- Do not waste any time contacting HR, they do not care. They are there to make sure that no lawsuit or issues for the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnough politics and meetings, everyone until Principal should contribute technically. Sit in your office and code/design and help with actual work instead of holding meetings about meetings on work that needs to get done.

Fun. Surrounded by intellectual people.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsPay. As well as the benefits.

ConsLocation, and social scene. It was okay.

Advice to Senior ManagementDoing just fine.

Awesome Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOrganised, Innovative, challenging, Will learn new things everyday of your work

ConsI dont see any cons with this company. Its just perfect

High-quality interning environment

Interim Engineering Intern (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent housing and compensation package provided to interns. Very good mentoring program - never felt like I was being pressured, but still was able to contribute to 'real' work. Good program for moving into a full-time position.

ConsThe lion's share of the company's official attention appears to be given to groups that work at the main San Diego campus. Groups that are in other locations (even if still in San Diego) can feel a bit isolated.

Great pay, but bad work life balance

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsChance to work on latest tech, good pay and perks

ConsWork life balance is not at all there, work culture is bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease make sure your recruit enough people to implement project rather than overloading the junior folks and over paying the bossess to sit on their shoulder and scratch their head frequently.

senior software engineer

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

ProsDecent pay, good benefits and good job security policy.

ConsWork pressure can be very high sometimes. Frequent reorganizations.

Advice to Senior ManagementDont shuffle teams too much.

Worked for Qualcomm? Contribute to the Community!