REI

REI Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

REI President and CEO Jerry Stritzke

Jerry Stritzke

Pros
  • Possibility for work life balance, support and advancement in other divisions (in 52 reviews)

• If you're looking for a part time job that pays well this is a great place to start (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • The pressure of having to sell memberships when most people are already members was too much for me (in 38 reviews)

• I regret ever getting involved with REI as a full-time gig (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

In school job

Sales Specialist (Former Employee) Cary, NC (US)

ProsBenefits for even part time employees. I had a 401k with match while working part time and opportunities for benefits. The employee discounts and pro-deals were amazing and a great group of people to work for.

ConsBeing a student I had trouble getting time off that I needed at times. Huge push to always sell memberships, this was sometimes pushed more than providing quality service. I always sold plenty but never felt that it was enough. Luckily my management did not push us to sign users up for credit cards.

Frontline, CS

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA great opportunity who wants a laid back, inclusive work experience with people who actually care about what they are selling.

ConsStill a corporate structure and sometimes can be frustrating with new procedures or tests that they decide to implement. Still a small complaint

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up

A part-time holiday job that turned out to be a great pleasure

Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) Boulder, CO (US)

Pros• The on-boarding and training process was impressive
    • For several days the managers presented every detail of what was expected of the staff
    • Formal training was delivered effectively and time give to practice and make errors
    • When new employees ask the “dumb” questions everyone is happy to help and did not judge
    • The processes and procedures are well defined and documented. They admit when a process need to be improved but have a reasonable answer to every situation for the present moment.
    • Positive attitudes! The only place I’ve ever worked where there wasn’t really a rumor mill that I could detect
    • When I messed up they handled it professionally and avoided making me feel bad about myself
    • From employee to store manager, the people were truly fantastic

Cons• The corporate IT staff is working on it, but the tools were aging and slowed the delivery of customer service
    • Hours are competitive and subject to the cycles of retail and the local store

Advice to Senior Management• Keep it up
    • Thank you for such a positive experience even if you did not pick me to stay.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Customer service

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people, cool gear, fun outdoor atmosphere.

ConsNone I can think of.

Great experience

ProsIt's what you make of it.

Constoo much empowerment, gives a sense of entitlement

Inconsistent experience

Sales Specialist (Current Employee) West Hartford, CT (US)

ProsI've worked at three different stores in three different states. The plus is being able to transfer to another store when moving. The health insurance is great and you can't beat paid vacation time at a retail job. Some stores are great with great supervisors and great co-workers. Others, not so much (see below).

ConsSome stores are run by managers who do not understand how to run a store and generate sales without cutting corners. Unfortunately one of the ways they meet these goals is by reducing payroll hours which leaves you understaffed. At one of my stores, this meant that you had to give total open availability only to get a measly 20 hours per week. And work life balance means nothing when you're working somewhere that is the epitome of inefficiency. Some managers don't appreciate hard work and favor employees who make them feel liked. This creates an environment where lazy employees get promoted and/or scheduled the most hours. At the store I am describing the store manager blamed sales specialists for low morale, treated us like children, and lacked any real leadership skills. He was passive aggressive with feedback and never gave a clear path for development and improvement.

My experience at the other two stores were superb. Excellent team oriented environment where managers and co-workers treated everyone with respect.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold store managers and district managers accountable for all aspects of the store, not just sales goals. Sometimes sales are high simply because of location and demographics, which have nothing to do with store managers. Stores with high turn over and no long-term staff members should be looked at very closely because it means leadership is lacking. Provide specific metrics for upper management store visits, including visual standards and warehouse organization. Although this isn't everything, if the store is a mess, it says a lot about the leadership and their priorities. Stores who do not know how to keep things running efficiently will hold the co-op back from moving forward on a larger scale.

Good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt was a very friendly place to work. Great discounts on gear and if you like the outdoors how could it be any better.

ConsSometimes you dont get the hours you need and the schedule can sometimes be hard on your schedule. Sometimes it gets hard to work in the retail business.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are not to many more items to suggest, think most things are good.

Good but not great

Sales Specialist (Former Employee) Rancho Cucamonga, CA (US)

ProsFun atmosphere, lots of comradarie and liked minded coworkers.

ConsToo much emphasis on membership sales. Becoming too sales oriented of a company and beginning go forget about the employees and customers along the way

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so sales oriented

Lost it's luster.

Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) Sumner, WA (US)

ProsGreat if part time, benefits

ConsSenior management, compensation, employee recognition, hours..

Advice to Senior ManagementReturn to your roots, remember that your customers are #1 and treating your employees like they are all dispensable will make your employees dispense themselves. Great employees come from great leadership. Lose some of the chiefs... Find the family that rei used to be 5 years ago.

Fairytale gone bad

Sales Specialist (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsYou get to work with great people while getting great deals on gear. Every once in a while a customer will make my day.

ConsEverything varies from store to store as you would suspect in a retail environment. In the Houston-Galleria location: considered a large store (in regards to revenue) but small space, very high turnover rate, low staffing, breaks are not given, poor communication, high work-place politics, under-paid for what you actually accomplish, poor planning and scheduling, manager and supervisors are out for themselves whiling lying, and VERY rude customers. Most employees are looking elsewhere for employment

Advice to Senior ManagementToo much is based on unrealistic goals, poor inventory planning, change is way too slow! The CEO creating change but everyone seems to resist.

Worked for REI? Contribute to the Community!