REI

REI Reviews

Updated Apr 22, 2014

REI President and CEO Jerry Stritzke

Jerry Stritzke

Pros:
  • "Work life balance is really good and def helpful if you have a family"
    in 45 reviews
  • "If you are looking for part-time work to subsidize your income this is a great job"
    in 39 reviews
Cons:
  • "Selling memberships is their number one goal"
    in 33 reviews
  • "I regret ever getting involved with REI as a full-time gig"
    in 27 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Customer Service

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at REI part-time for more than a year

ProsFast Paced, positive environment. Great place to make friends. Fun to sell quality merchandise to customers on their way to an adventure.

ConsIf you aren't interested in retail management, there is not a lot of room for growth. Low pay to start

Fun, but impossible to make any money.

Sales Specialist (Current Employee)
Tysons Corner, VA (US)

I have been working at REI part-time for less than a year

ProsREI has some of the best customers in the retail world- they want to be there talking to you and very rarely come in because they need someone to yell at. Other employees share your passions and are always up for getting together for a hike or a ride. Pro-deals are fantastic, as are the benis.

ConsIt gets really hard to drink the kool-aid there sometimes. Between management blatantly lying, never enough hours for the people who want them, and the absurd inability of the management team to agree on how to do things, it's frustrating to try and get hyped about explaining how awesome a company it is to customers every day. I have had weeks during the slow season where I wasn't even on the schedule- you never know week to week what kind of hours/money you'll get next week.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with your employees. And communicate with each other before changing procedures, so your employees aren't getting yelled at by three different managers to do things three different ways. It will cost less to bump the people who want it up to full time than it will to train new hires to work two shifts a week for six months. And it you wont give anyone full time, give them fixed schedules to they can feasibly work elsewhere. Also, the whole not being able to work more than 24 hours on a holiday week or you get OT thing is supposed to help your employees make more money for working during the holidays, not cut their paychecks down by limiting their hours.

Action Sports Sales Rep

Sales Specialist - Action Sports (Former Employee)
Boston, MA (US)

I worked at REI full-time for less than a year

ProsAwesome coworkers and environment. Great discounts on gear. The company has an inspiring mission statement and really does care about customer satisfaction.

ConsREI is a co-op, owned by its members. The main performance metric is membership sales, which puts the emphasis on finding and assisting new members rather than on quality service for loyal customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementDesign a better system for gauging employee performance. Just give away membership, or sell it for a dollar, if the issue is creating brand loyalty through a membership discount program.

Retail sales---Good company, PT benefits, limited opportunities if your life/family is established

Sales Specialist (Former Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I worked at REI part-time for more than a year

ProsGood training, good customer service policies, good products. Nice health insurance and savings benefits for PT employees.

ConsRetail leadership could be more honest and open. Limited opportunities in retail management, since you're expected to move frequently, rather than stay in one store. Need to complete "endorsement process" by store manager to be able to apply for retail management jobs. Very conservative culture, which is a liability in the 21st century.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid of exposing your employees to upper management. Make some technology infrastructure improvements (Windows XP, really?) and order fulfillment improvements, fast! I can order an item online from some retailers in the morning and pick it up at my local store on my way to work at REI! Can't do that at REI.

Good place to work, but you feel the pressure to sell memberships

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at REI part-time

ProsI worked there part time over the summer and it was really easy to set the hours I wanted to work. Prodeals and discounts were a huge perk.

ConsThere can be a lot of pressure to meet your quota on selling memberships but there is no commission or real incentives for selling one.

Great benefits and cool gear!

I have been working at REI part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat benefits and very flexible with scheduling. Opportunities to transfer at stores around the nation. Overall a great company to work for.

ConsBecoming more "mainstream" and run more like a business opposed to a true co-op. Getting full-time status is hard- seems like they hire more seasonal/part-time help opposed to bumping an existing employee to full time.

Director

Director (Current Employee)
Kent, WA (US)

I have been working at REI full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat people, fulfilling work, mission driven, quality products. We are well situated for greater success!

ConsPace of change has been slow but accelerating now.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget our core values.

Great company, lots of changes in flight

I have been working at REI full-time

ProsGREAT people, great industry, beautiful campus, lots of perks, support for new ideas, latitude to do many new things, work at home options, stewardship,

ConsLower than normal salaries for comparable positions, questionable mid mgmnt leadership decisions at critical points

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember what the company is here for - stay true to that foundation and build competitiveness and value from that point.

Great coworkers and fun relaxed environment

Sales Specialist (Former Employee)
Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at REI part-time for more than 3 years

ProsREI gives it's employees great deals on gear. It is non commissioned sales which creates a relaxed environment where you can really serve customers well and spend time getting to know them and make them feel valued. The flexibility to take unpaid time off(at least as a part time employee) is amazing and makes a lot of flexibility to play in the outdoors.

ConsLess flexibility during holidays and sales. Don't expect to make a bunch of money. ~$10 an hour. Managers don't make a ton more. Not the greatest opportunity for advancement compared with other fields.

Still the best job environment in retail

Retail Sales Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at REI full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat co-workers, employee discounts, relatively flexible work schedule, fantastic health/vision/dental benefits for 20 plus hours/week employees, generally the best customers in retail too. Generally good work/life balance, even managers aren't supposed to work more than 40 hours per week.

ConsBesides the obvious- retail work hours= most weekends and holidays you are working, and many evenings as well.

Worked for REI? Contribute to the Community!

REI Videos

REI – Why Work for Us?

We Think It's Important to Feel Good About Where You Work People love working at REI because it's a place where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while enjoying a work-life balance. Another reason is that… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at REI reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for REI CEO Jerry Stritzke. All 408 reviews are posted anonymously by REI employees.