REI Systems Reviews

Updated 27 August 2014
Updated 27 August 2014

REI Systems President & CEO Veer Bhartiya
Veer Bhartiya

Pros
  • Flexible hours, nice working environment (in 6 reviews)

• Very friendly work environment, which also includes top management (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Majority of the Project Managers/Portfolio Managers are horrible to work with (in 4 reviews)

• After all this hard work also, do not expect recognition unless you have out of office friendship with managers (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Love my new job at REI!!!

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer  in  Sterling, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Sterling, VA (US)

I have been working at REI Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Talented, creative and smart folks
    - My earlier company did not have a "professional development" plan; so I am getting used to the 40 hours of professional development offered to by REI to all of their employees; kind of like what Google does for its employees
    - The company has a heritage ..This was evident during the week long activities planned for celebrating REI's 25th anniversary
    - There are some really good ping pong players...We recently concluded a ping pong tournament
    and Friday bagels :-)

Cons

- I know projects are doing this in their own environment, but it would be nice to have a research lab, where latest technologies can be tried out...

thanks and please keep up the good work!!!

REI systems

I have been working at REI Systems full-time

Pros

Great co workers
    Flexible hours
    Low morale

Cons

No Promotion
    Promotes only friends and family

A Relatives Company - No scope to grow

I have been working at REI Systems full-time

Pros

Bagel Friday
    Technical Folks who are great.

Cons

Most of the positions are for relatives who know each other. After office activity is a must to be in the good books of the manager. You need not be talented to be promoted to a manger level. Just be a relative and you are automatically promoted. Most of them are highly undesirable. They make you sweat for all wrong reasons. There is no proper communication and clarity in any role. Everyday you need to compete with others (with mangers) to prove you are worth of something. There is most of the times a hostile environment that drives everyone nuts.

There is no appreciation of work. No chance to grow and there is absolutely no way to suggest something that everyone agrees. Multiple line of managers who are fit for nothing. Save yourself from working here.

There is no point to write anything about management. They listen to only relatives.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stay Away

I have been working at REI Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

location is good for my commute and the health benefits are nice

Cons

The management is not knowledgeable in the areas of the employees that they supervise. They under utilize then complain you are not productive. Not allowed to take initiative to find work to fill your time either because they see this as going over your manager's head and involving yourself in things you have no business being involved in. Task directions are vague and use a lot of fluff. When you try to cut through the BS to figure out what you are really being asked to do they act like you are incompetent. They say they are diverse but they are not. You better be from India to be successful and given a chance here. I have been a senior leadership position in my past positions but was criticized for making recommendations here after two months because I am too new. Anything that you point out that they could do better just makes them defensive and you get criticized for not appreciating the REI Way and organization and culture (which they think is so unique and wonderful). Do not dare bring past experiences or lessons learned or best practices here. They don't want to hear it because they think they are unique. They rather rebuild the wheel. The President is wonderful but about to retire. Unfortunately, his VP do not display his values and walk all over him. I tried escalating an issue with my supervisor and failed horribly. I talked directly to my manager and then tried going to the next level manager. He didn't even listen to me and then told my manager I complained so I got screamed at the next day. So I went to HR. They supposedly did an "official investigation" but despite all the written documentation I provided through emails and lync conversations, nothing came from it. They left it to the higher manager to determine what to do and he decided to change nothing. They would not allow me to work with anyone instead of or in addition to who I already work with therefore giving me no chance to get feedback from anyone else. The manager and HR met with me and only provided a written list of personal character attacks on me. When I begged to please read my documentation the only response I received was a criticism of my meeting note format (which by the way was the company template). I was told that taking meeting notes makes it appear as if I am trying to prepare a case against them....maybe I should. So be productive but don't ask for work, repeat tasking to ensure you are on the same page with your manager but don't take notes. And do not dare report anything to anyone about one of the loyal employees in the click. Everyone I know working on this contract has left the office at least twice in tears. I attempted to just clarify a company policy that was told to us by HR during orientation which my supervisor stated differently when I attempted to use the policy and was criticized for not respecting my supervisor and trusting their instruction. However, turns out my supervisor was wrong and my clarification allowed me to be able to take leave I otherwise would not have been able to. But I have been directed that going forward I am expected to blindly follow my supervisors instruction ... no thinking for yourself or discussion allowed here. This click runs the show and no one dares to question them or go against them ... not any employee, not HR, not even the President.

I was told that I did not quality for a position and therefore accepted a lower salary for supposedly a lower position. However, when I got here I was given the position that I did not quality for and more to do. When I questioned this being a lower position, I was told that it was never intended to be a lower position. I am supposedly in this position temporarily because of an audit in my permanent department but when the audit was over and there was an opening I requested to move into the position and was told how dare you ask to be moved into another position when you haven't even succeeded in the one you have.

Company profit is on a steady decline for the last two years and they are finding it difficult to win new work.

Get rid of your VP because being a good manager and financially beneficial for the company does not make you a good leader. The entire team is unhappy, frustrated, and ready to leave. Morale will increase, employees will stay, and costs will decrease.

REI invests in employees

Current Employee - Associate Software Architect  in  Sterling, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Software Architect in Sterling, VA (US)

I have been working at REI Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I was so excited when I got the MS COE pioneer plaque and dell tablet. I was already happy and satisfied with all the opportunities that REI provides for us to improve our technical skills - MSDN accounts, powerful laptops, plural sight account, trainings and 1 week of professional development hours.

I wanted to personally thank you senior mgmt for making all this happen. I get to work with other govt contracting companies as a sub contract. From what I have seen, REI is an amazing place to work.

Cons

Need to win more projects to sustain

bid and win more projects

Try hard to be a place people want to work

Current Employee - Program Manager
    Current Employee - Program Manager

I have been working at REI Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun activities from ping pong championships, to biking clubs, toastmasters and PMI meetings, robot group, and the company gives back by honoring charities embraced by employees. Such a variety. Lots of brown bags and internal training too.

Cons

Struggle with being responsive internally. Really depends on your project and supervisor if work is chaotic or not. Lots of decisions are made based on relationships and not solving the real issue.

Be personable. Reach out to people. Answer e-mails...be the manager that you want your managers to be.

Flexible timings and friendly people

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Sterling, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sterling, VA (US)

I have been working at REI Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Timings are flexible and nice place to work

Cons

Work is not balanced well. Some times work gets too hectic and some times too less.

Please have more meetings with team member if not one on one to clearly state the future.

BEWARE!!!! Frustratingly indecisive and incapable senior and mid-level leadership - Their words don't mean anything

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer  in  Sterling, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Sterling, VA (US)

I have been working at REI Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place for incapable people dumped in the market by Booz Allen and ICF. The club of losers has survived under the leadership of COO while the capable hires remain in flux. The COO tries very hard to retain people who believe the COO is always right. That's because he himself has survived that way under the CIO who is another leader whose words of commitment don't mean much. They are just bunch of workers who accidentally fell into leadership position. They admit it themselves in their leadership meetings that they never expected to grow to 300+ employee company. People who believe that the senior leadership cares for them are either naive or not exposed to the discussions at the leadership level, or probably have not worked for better American corporations ever. Senior leadership is busy warming up their chairs in their respective offices while rest of the staff suffers while awaiting their permanent residency (Green Card). Retained employees who are in desperate need for Green Card are mistaken for staff retention. This is how the senior leadership is good at spinning facts based on their own convenience. They are yet to figure out if they are fooling the employees or fooling themselves.

Cons

1. Absolutely incapable crass leadership from CEO to Project Managers
    2. Rest of the employees are equally bad (birds of same feather flocked together); They cannot hire any better. If accidentally they do, they either cannot retain those employees or harass the employee to death. So they leave
    3. Don't get bought into their sales pitch about them being innovators; their innovation trails behind by 20 years
    4. They do not appreciate the skills and experience of new hires until you prove your "loyalty" to them by either falling on their feet (Indian tradition) during company events or by being a "Yes" man
    5. Account Managers and Program Managers are worse than the project managers in terms of skills; so please do not expect the Project Managers to perform any better
    6. Don't make a mistake of, or rather dare to, escalate performance issues of employees who have been in the company for long and belong to the "LOYAL" class. You will be lynched and abandoned as outcast
    7. The senior leadership believes they are good at technology. Their self image smacks of arrogance and ignorance at the same time
    8. They survive on cheap commodity work - nothing wrong with that. There's work for all kinds of companies in Federal Government. But don't claim what you are not a.k.a. a large company bringing innovation to the Government
    9. Senior management makes false commitments to new hires during the time of interview and conveniently forgets later
    10. Human Resource Team is absolutely inept and incapable. They have no spine to stand up against abuses and unethical practices in this company. Human Resources get overridden by all powerful slaves of the COO and the CIO.

1. It's high time the CIO shed his artificial skin and stop pretending; his true colors are very different than what he appears to be in public
    2. The COO has to stop pretending as a leader -- all his dog and pony show of "Built to Last" and "Good to Great" are just a foolish attempt; stop overselling and lying about your accomplishments; some of your employees and people outside are not fools. They can see the truth.
    3. If you really care about employee retention and hiring good employees to do better as a respectable organization, ask your absolutely crass breed of home grown Account Managers, Program Managers, and other leaders/managers to just sit aside and learn from fresh breed of leaders from outside. The home grown breed just do not have the skills to match up to the competition. Buying books from Amazon and preaching from few pages of the book will not turn them around as leaders. All they have is arrogance and ability to make a fool of themselves
    4. Else just admit that you want to continue with your incapable team and continue to exist the way you are; don't spin the facts to yourself that you get published in magazine and accept it as rosy reality. Everyone knows how the published facts are derived.
    4. Turn around your discriminatory environment to treat people who don't worship the CIO/COO or act like their slave or spook, with some respect. They have better talent in them than your slaves or "LOYAL" employees. The employees are submissive as slaves for a reason -- they cannot survive any other way
    5. WATCH OUT!!!! All your young talent is about to leave in hoards if you continue with your crass leadership team

Best Job I've Ever Had

I have been working at REI Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My manager and even upper management have made me feel that my work is appreciated, that I have contributed to the well-being of the company and the various projects I've worked on. Sr. management even seems to listen to employee feedback and then do something about it, like overhauling our benefits package this year. People ask me if I'm doing the kind of work I want to do. I've never experienced that before.

Cons

Too many people who struggle with the English language. While they are more than competent technically, they very often have a difficult time making themselves understood by the customer or even teammates. Too many managers have a "never-say-no-to-the-customer" approach that makes for outrageous requirements and not enough time or money to meet them.

Encourage project managers to manage their customers' expectations and stay on top of scope creep.

Nice Place to work

I have been working at REI Systems full-time

Pros

Friendly environment, fast paced, fun

Cons

Not much opportunity to grow

Promote from within

Worked for REI Systems? Contribute to the Community!