REI Systems

REI Systems Reviews

Updated Jun 30, 2014

REI Systems President & CEO Veer Bhartiya

Veer Bhartiya

Pros
  • Flexible hours, nice working environment(in 6 reviews)

• Very friendly work environment, which also includes top management(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • After all this hard work also, do not expect recognition unless you have out of office friendship with managers(in 3 reviews)

• When deadlines come up people are working late nights and weekend hours for 1-2 months before releases, which can happen every 4-6 months(in 3 reviews)

REI invests in employees

Associate Software Architect (Current Employee) Sterling, VA (US)

ProsI was so excited when I got the MS COE pioneer plaque and dell tablet. I was already happy and satisfied with all the opportunities that REI provides for us to improve our technical skills - MSDN accounts, powerful laptops, plural sight account, trainings and 1 week of professional development hours.

I wanted to personally thank you senior mgmt for making all this happen. I get to work with other govt contracting companies as a sub contract. From what I have seen, REI is an amazing place to work.

ConsNeed to win more projects to sustain

Advice to Senior Managementbid and win more projects

Flexible timings and friendly people

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Sterling, VA (US)

ProsTimings are flexible and nice place to work

ConsWork is not balanced well. Some times work gets too hectic and some times too less.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease have more meetings with team member if not one on one to clearly state the future.

BEWARE!!!! Frustratingly indecisive and incapable senior and mid-level leadership - Their words don't mean anything

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee) Sterling, VA (US)

ProsGreat place for incapable people dumped in the market by Booz Allen and ICF. The club of losers has survived under the leadership of COO while the capable hires remain in flux. The COO tries very hard to retain people who believe the COO is always right. That's because he himself has survived that way under the CIO who is another leader whose words of commitment don't mean much. They are just bunch of workers who accidentally fell into leadership position. They admit it themselves in their leadership meetings that they never expected to grow to 300+ employee company. People who believe that the senior leadership cares for them are either naive or not exposed to the discussions at the leadership level, or probably have not worked for better American corporations ever. Senior leadership is busy warming up their chairs in their respective offices while rest of the staff suffers while awaiting their permanent residency (Green Card). Retained employees who are in desperate need for Green Card are mistaken for staff retention. This is how the senior leadership is good at spinning facts based on their own convenience. They are yet to figure out if they are fooling the employees or fooling themselves.

Cons1. Absolutely incapable crass leadership from CEO to Project Managers
    2. Rest of the employees are equally bad (birds of same feather flocked together); They cannot hire any better. If accidentally they do, they either cannot retain those employees or harass the employee to death. So they leave
    3. Don't get bought into their sales pitch about them being innovators; their innovation trails behind by 20 years
    4. They do not appreciate the skills and experience of new hires until you prove your "loyalty" to them by either falling on their feet (Indian tradition) during company events or by being a "Yes" man
    5. Account Managers and Program Managers are worse than the project managers in terms of skills; so please do not expect the Project Managers to perform any better
    6. Don't make a mistake of, or rather dare to, escalate performance issues of employees who have been in the company for long and belong to the "LOYAL" class. You will be lynched and abandoned as outcast
    7. The senior leadership believes they are good at technology. Their self image smacks of arrogance and ignorance at the same time
    8. They survive on cheap commodity work - nothing wrong with that. There's work for all kinds of companies in Federal Government. But don't claim what you are not a.k.a. a large company bringing innovation to the Government
    9. Senior management makes false commitments to new hires during the time of interview and conveniently forgets later
    10. Human Resource Team is absolutely inept and incapable. They have no spine to stand up against abuses and unethical practices in this company. Human Resources get overridden by all powerful slaves of the COO and the CIO.

Advice to Senior Management1. It's high time the CIO shed his artificial skin and stop pretending; his true colors are very different than what he appears to be in public
    2. The COO has to stop pretending as a leader -- all his dog and pony show of "Built to Last" and "Good to Great" are just a foolish attempt; stop overselling and lying about your accomplishments; some of your employees and people outside are not fools. They can see the truth.
    3. If you really care about employee retention and hiring good employees to do better as a respectable organization, ask your absolutely crass breed of home grown Account Managers, Program Managers, and other leaders/managers to just sit aside and learn from fresh breed of leaders from outside. The home grown breed just do not have the skills to match up to the competition. Buying books from Amazon and preaching from few pages of the book will not turn them around as leaders. All they have is arrogance and ability to make a fool of themselves
    4. Else just admit that you want to continue with your incapable team and continue to exist the way you are; don't spin the facts to yourself that you get published in magazine and accept it as rosy reality. Everyone knows how the published facts are derived.
    4. Turn around your discriminatory environment to treat people who don't worship the CIO/COO or act like their slave or spook, with some respect. They have better talent in them than your slaves or "LOYAL" employees. The employees are submissive as slaves for a reason -- they cannot survive any other way
    5. WATCH OUT!!!! All your young talent is about to leave in hoards if you continue with your crass leadership team

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Try hard to be a place people want to work

Program Manager (Current Employee)

ProsFun activities from ping pong championships, to biking clubs, toastmasters and PMI meetings, robot group, and the company gives back by honoring charities embraced by employees. Such a variety. Lots of brown bags and internal training too.

ConsStruggle with being responsive internally. Really depends on your project and supervisor if work is chaotic or not. Lots of decisions are made based on relationships and not solving the real issue.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe personable. Reach out to people. Answer e-mails...be the manager that you want your managers to be.

Best Job I've Ever Had

ProsMy manager and even upper management have made me feel that my work is appreciated, that I have contributed to the well-being of the company and the various projects I've worked on. Sr. management even seems to listen to employee feedback and then do something about it, like overhauling our benefits package this year. People ask me if I'm doing the kind of work I want to do. I've never experienced that before.

ConsToo many people who struggle with the English language. While they are more than competent technically, they very often have a difficult time making themselves understood by the customer or even teammates. Too many managers have a "never-say-no-to-the-customer" approach that makes for outrageous requirements and not enough time or money to meet them.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage project managers to manage their customers' expectations and stay on top of scope creep.

A company for good honest contributing professionals will have very short span of life

Senior Unix Administrative (Former Employee) Herndon, VA (US)

ProsNot much in terms of either a good unix or technology shop. Claims of it being long term employer applies only who are able to abuse others & pamper management.

ConsAbusive managers who are allowed to fire good contributors within minutes. Higher Management has pampered those who have not contributed much technically to the shop. Company with technologies of 1990's. Being a small company, how can CEO escape this fact about the Company.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no way Management can assure its health as long as they cannot spot abusers & crass violaters in their Seniors & remove them. Till then, it will remain a shop which is current only up to technologies of 2000 in the year of 2014.

Nice Place to work

ProsFriendly environment, fast paced, fun

ConsNot much opportunity to grow

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within

Stepping Stone

Pros1. I respect REI's CEO. He is gem of a person. If you have any concern, you can directly talk to him.
    2. They revised benefits in 2014, as they were loosing so many employees, so they decided to do something about it.

Cons1. Favoritism
    2. Some Top level Managers are not supposed to be managers. They lack communication skills, basically not fit to be managers.
    3. Long Work Hours (Think 10+ hours every day).
    4. Below Average Compensation.
    5. Terrible management. If you like micro-management, this is the place for you.
    6. Nothing would get done with HR Department.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at your Managers. Because of few rotten tomatoes, whole company looks bad.

Unethical and disrespectful

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Sterling, VA (US)

ProsGood medical insurance
    Some very talented individuals
    Good relationship with existing customers

ConsNo order or process of doing things. No rules in software development. Managers don't understand or value software development best practices. They just want things done to make up their unrealistic promises with the customer. Things break and then they get mad. Not realizing that they have themselves to blame for mismanagement.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus has been on employee retention from senior management. However, mid level managers are not helping.

It's a much better place in last 2 years!

Principal Engineer (Current Employee) Sterling, VA (US)

ProsProfessional Development Program
    Better Leave Benefits
    Better Medical Benefits
    Stock Options
    Great Place to learn new technology
    I would say it's an amazing place to work and learn new skills. Lot of brilliant people.
    Great Upper management
    Cool People
    An Employee Driven Health Club and Electronics Club is a great idea

ConsPerception is some are managers because they are close to upper management not because they have skills. They lack soft and technical skills and also not good communicators. And that reflects clearly and poorly on REI. It's time they understand these project managers(98% of them) are not only bad influence on people but on company's reputation.
    These project managers make people slog , deliver the project and get good business for you. But in the process you loose 3 good people and a bad bad reputation!

But upper management is doing a much better job which negates some of the harm done by others.
    People are generally good in the company.
    Overall it's a very positive company and is open to new ideas.
    Lot of changes are beginning to happen and that is bringing some confidence on the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean up your project managers.
    Hire people who have good soft skills or find people who are good in people management skills inside company.
    You guys have amazing technical brains. You can use them better.

Worked for REI Systems? Contribute to the Community!