Rackspace
www.rackspace.com San Antonio, TX 5000+ Employees

Rackspace Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Graham Weston

Pros:
  • "Lots of compensations, great list of benefits, managers listen to your work-life balance needs"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Great culture and people with lots of talents around that you could learn from"
    in 30 reviews
Cons:
  • "Middle management is the worst I've seen in my career in most departments"
    in 26 reviews
  • "Work life balance can be a challenge - not nearly as bad as Amazon"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to be, but not a cake walk

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 3 years

ProsRackspace is a great place to be. Its a growing company that really believes in their CORE values. I've never learned so much, from so many brilliant people, in such little time. There are great people everywhere.

My management team has also looked out for my best interest, and they have been very vocal in fighting for change when times are tough. There is great flexibility so long as you are performing. The work is challenging and very interesting.

I leave every day feeling like I helped customers, and cannot wait to get back in the morning. The company is dedicated to delivering positive outcomes for customers. There are great spiffs and benefits on the sales side. They are growing quickly, and if you want something, are vocal about it, you can get it. Politics are definitely present, but so long as you do what is best for the customers, the Rackers around you, and the company, its not a problem.

If you are starting out and hungry, there is not a better place to be.

The new leadership team is phenomenal, they are folks who fit our culture, but also understand how to run a billion dollar company.

I've never been happier, and I am convinced I will never have better managers than I have now in my entire career.

ConsYou have to really manage your brand effectively to continue to move up the ranks and get better pay and position, ON TOP of performing at a high level. I see a lot of reviews calling this "the good ol' boy mentality", those are the folks who have managed their own brand poorly. If you are the type that fights for what you want, and are not afraid to be aggressive, this is a great place.

Be warned hitting quota is no joke here. You have to be top of your game and willing to sacrifice work/life to succeed during periods of time. Hitting your number will NEVER be easy here, but the rewards are great when you do.

There is a plethora of middle management, you have to carefully select who you want to work for because if you get a bad manager, you are SOL.

Be warned, the internal systems and processes ARE TERRIBLE. This inhibits a lot of advancement and efficiency. You have to learn to live with broken systems and processes and be "charming" enough to nudge the people responsible along to approve what you need.

If you really want to move up the ranks, be prepared to commute or move to San Antonio where HQ is.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor the love of GOD, please make things more simple internally around our systems and processes.

I was an intern for the supply chain department

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at Rackspace as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe environment is great. You are treated as equals, and everyone has high expectations for what you can contribute to the company. Everyone is amazing, and there is never a boring day. We had the chance to get to know the department heads personally.

The office is filled with highly intelligent people. You have the chance to learn something from just holding a conversation with them.

ConsI did not like the location, but that is personal preference.

7 years of watching this place grow

Storage (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 5 years

ProsYou can re-create yourself here. The opportunities to move forward with your career in really in your own hands.

ConsWe are (in some areas) slowly becoming that big company. Not all change is good.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember pre 8-8-8!!!

Great company, but slowly getting to be like the others

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 8 years

ProsVery enthusiastic atmosphere. The employees at Rackspace really do work very hard at trying to keep the culture peppy and enjoyable to be around. Fantastic opportunity for advancement, but slowing down as the company grows.

ConsHighly inconsistent leadership quality and leadership style. Like many growing companies, Rackspace is adjusting to a clash between the more tenured employees and newer groups of Rackers.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would rather see the company slow its headcount growth down, and automate more systems to gain efficiency rather than size.

Great company culture. Emphasis on delivering great service to customers by engaging workforce effectively.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
London, England (UK)

I worked at Rackspace full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat atmosphere in the office and interesting product. An awesome board who are very hands on across the business globally - setting a clear vision for the business.

ConsBecause of company culture, individual performance is not managed effectively. There is a feeling that old 'Rackers' are preferred over newcomers. As there is not a culture of directness, politics can creep in somewhat. Great board, but senior management can be average - not setting clear direction, making difficult calls and often too inexperienced outside of the Rax to understand where things need to be changed.

Advice to Senior ManagementEstablish a great culture of meritocracy. Don't be so willing for Rackers to discount the experience of newcomers as 'not the Rackspace way'. Get your leadership team to ocus more on execution, focus on a priorities and stop them pontificating.

good place to work and grow your skillsets.

Network Security Administrative I (Current Employee)
Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than a year

Prosthey encourage and help you grow in your career

Consraises are hard to come by. If you want a raise you have to level up which requires additional work.

Creativity, Freedom, Innovation, and Atmosphere

Information Security Risk Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for less than a year

ProsYou just don't find many "Rackspaces" these days

ConsNone that come to mind.

Channel Manager

Channel Manager (Current Employee)
Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than a year

ProsRespect for employees by recognizing life/work balance. lots of opportunity for growth. great company

Conslots of products and services that can be a bit overwhelming

Advice to Senior Managementconsidering the history and tracking of RAX, the management seems to be doing their job

Amazing experience so far!

Network Security Administrative I (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for less than a year

ProsAwesome headquarters
A lot of training opportunities
Very fun workplace
Great work/life balance
On-site gym
Friendly coworkers
Always something going on!

ConsIf you don't like to randomly get hit with nerf darts at any given point in the day, then you probably shouldn't work here...

Advice to Senior ManagementI think senior management as done a great job making each Racker feel important and part of the Rackspace family. My only advice is to keep on keep'n on!

The culture is gone

Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Rackspace full-time for more than 8 years

ProsRackspace tries to implement the "old" culture by bringing in slides and things that they believe will make it look like it's a fun environment, when in reality it isn't. They do have a coffee shop that is really good though...

ConsManagement no longer cares about their employees, and is actively trying to slim down the workforce through attrition, which was told to me by HR. They no longer care about keeping good talent but would rather have them leave and bring in people they can pay less for. If you're looking to change position, you should look outside the company as the entire company is on a hiring freeze as was also told to me by HR. You are no longer rewarded for bringing up ideas or having a voice, now you are yelled at or berated by your manager, and when you speak up HR takes the side of management even though you have a recording of your manager yelling at you. I actually had to start recording my one on one's to have proof that the harassment was happening, and still HR didn't care.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually care about your employees and their concerns, don't just dismiss them. Don't yell or berate them, especially in front of other employees which my manager did several times, and not even to myself. Also, they need to read up on rules and regulations about hiring. Just because a woman can get pregnant or wants to have a baby is NOT a good reason to dismiss her application for hiring onto the team.

I hope Graham can turn things around and fix a lot of these issues as I have faith in him, he's a good person.

Worked for Rackspace? Contribute to the Community!

Rackspace Videos

Rackspace – Why Work for Us?

Rackspace Hosting is the world’s leading specialist in hosting and cloud computing. The San Antonio-based company provides Fanatical Support® to its customers, across a portfolio of IT services, including Managed… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rackspace reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Rackspace CEO Graham Weston. All 401 reviews are posted anonymously by Rackspace employees.