Rackspace

www.rackspace.com

Rackspace Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Graham Weston

Pros
  • Culture is amazing and I've never had more a better work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Great culture and endless opportunities (if you earn them) (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management is the worst I've seen in my career in most departments (in 30 reviews)

• Work life balance can be a challenge - not nearly as bad as Amazon (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Company in Transition

Linux Administrator I (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsThe people are generally great to work with. The office is comfortable. The benefits are also very nice. There are lots of opportunities to learn new technology.

ConsThe tools we need to use are broken half the time. Processes for advancement are not consistent and in some areas come down to very nit picky hoops that you have to jump through, some of them based on your personal brand and how you have sold it to the rest of your department.

Advice to Senior ManagementDetermine what advancement means in any given team and tailor the advancement process to match your expectations of the new position. Tools need to be consistently functioning and not rely on third party (employee written) hacks to extend them for needed functionality.

(UK) Great culture, poor advancement/compensation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

Pros- Fantastic benefits, which the HR team do a great job with. From personal health (gym, sports days etc.) to general fun, they do a good job of creating a nice buzz.

- Generally, the culture is good. Increasingly, there seemed to be less focus on hiring the "right" characters and personalities for the company, but for most of my tenure I was surrounded by good people.

- Flexible time-off and working from home policies.

Cons- Compensation was really poor, and well below industry averages in some cases. Moving up pay grades was always made into a logistical difficulty (changing job titles, teams etc.).

- Some of the managers are not equipped to be people managers, relying on leaders within the teams to do most of the hands-on managerial work.

- Senior leadership approach the business in a very reactive manner, causing the business focus to shift every 6 months after things go wrong. There is no committed direction and it seems they're winging it.

- No opportunities for progression. Having left since, I have realised how I've probably stunted my own growth by not doing so sooner.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn several years of employment, I was one of many examples of people not once offered to interview for a more prominent position, in spite of performance and clear suitability. In my example, this was despite top-of-class performance reviews, and taking the role of "temporary" manager whenever the managerial team were away, or staff felt they couldn't rely on them.

A shell of it's former self, trying to find purpose and meaning

Project Manager (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsEveryone tries really hard to keep a fun environment and put people first. Family friendly atmosphere meets a laid back vibe with a "get things done" disposition.

ConsSometimes Rackspace carries a strange, almost inauthentic paternal atmosphere. Leaders seem to burn a lot of energy setting up activities and conducting town halls that are designed to represent how much they care about Rackers...when all in all, most of the mid level leaders and below are actually self serving borderline psychopaths.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust Quit. If what you read didn't make you question yourself or annoyed, maybe you're one of the 15% of managers that actually adds value.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fanatically unstable

Windows Systems Administrator (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

Pros10% quarterly bonus (if your lucky)
    Flexible work schedule

ConsHard to work your way up unless you are in certain 'cliques'
    bonuses are there but they are unreliable
    Pay is low for market and keeps getting lower the longer you stay

Advice to Senior Managementafter hours should never be an after thought, and pay should be brought up to market, not "target", for everyone atleast every few years, for those who even stay that long if for no other reason than to show appreciation of the job they are doing(but all this is a pipe dream). Transparency and full disclosure shouldn't be to just are customers but to everyone

Good place to work there

Systems Engineer (Former Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsIt is okay types company... if you don't have any other offer, then go for it

Conshings vary from project to project/ team to team... always be ready to move out and search for new opportunity

Advice to Senior ManagementGood place to work

So much promise

Linux Systems Administrator (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

Pros"Culture" though not nearly what it once was, is still a standout.

ConsLargely incompetent middle management. Senior management seems out-of-touch with reality. Front-lines are woefully understaffed and overworked. "Fanatical Support" has become mostly marketing B.S.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll-too-frequent changes in product and company focus suggest that you don't have a clear vision. Get your fundamentals in order: the billing system is a disaster and after all this time you still don't have a functional replacement. Put an immediate stop to implementing untested system changes in Production, and hold development teams accountable for their shoddy work. Pay attention to the negative customer comments in NPS and actually do something about them instead of just cherry picking positive customer comments to make yourselves feel better.

Still a great place to work, the few imperfections make it even better.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsGreat mix of motivated, creative people all wanting to build greatness. Relaxed culture but that doesn't imply lazy or unfocused. Constant drive to evolve, a winners attitude and enough passion to float a ship. Senior leaders are doing all the right things strategically and all other levels of leadership pulling in the same direction. Constantly growing in size and visibly "growing up" into a fun corporate.

ConsSuffered from misaligned strategy in the past, some catching up to do. Suffering from teenage "coming of age issues", should pass in a few years with strong parenting (leadership). A lot of employee movement within the business, as well as into and out of the company. Great for job seekers but the constant churn is can be concerning.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to stay in touch with all levels of the business, ignore the small pain points and continue to chase the big ones.

Enjoy going to work each day - positive work environment

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsCreative freedom; personal growth is encouraged; helpful co-workers; work hard / play hard environment; great work-life balance; can work from home if necessary; always lots of free food around; free soda, tea, coffee, etc.; diverse group of people from around the world; good benefits; gym with free yoga, crossfit, etc.; learning environment; low toleration for negativity

ConsToo many meetings; heavy middle management; compensation seems lower than average; environment can be distracting if you are not a people-person

The company is alive!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsThe people are fantastic. Real human beings. Learning per moment is the highest pretty much anywhere, including start-ups. It's a great place to work if you love change.

ConsThe two cons are A) the place has an excessively high rate of change. If you eat change for lunch, this place is for you. However, B) the culture of individual heroics means that "Rackers" don't tend to get rewarded for preventing problems, developing essential processes, or being operationally excellent except in pockets. As a result, there's a lot of "dive & save" kinds of activities, far more than necessary.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have some amazing unsung heroes, Rackers who are behind the scenes making the company great. Find them. Reward them. Figure out how to keep them.

A good company going sour

Software Developer II (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

Prosfun work environment, slide, coffee shop in-house, trees inside, many conference rooms that can be used for unscheduled ad-hoc meetings, located in an old mall

ConsThe culture has gone from Friends and Family to hostile and dangerous. Management is not listening to the real needs of people and makes crazy decisions on what is really needed vs what management thinks we need. Waste of money is always the outcome.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. Make sure you understand your employee's real needs. Make sure you encourage your employees to push the envelope rather than cutting corners and making things on the "cheap".

Giving employees bad reviews because they try to push the envelope is not helping; it's counter productive and hostile. Advancing from within is almost impossible,

Worked for Rackspace? Contribute to the Community!