Rackspace Reviews

Updated 17 September 2014
Updated 17 September 2014
3.6

Graham Weston

Pros
  • Culture is amazing and I've never had more a better work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Great culture and endless opportunities (if you earn them) (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management is the worst I've seen in my career in most departments (in 30 reviews)

• Work life balance can be a challenge - not nearly as bad as Amazon (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Project Manager

Current Employee - Project Manager III  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Project Manager III in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very casual environment where people foster collaboration. It's easy to make friends, and there are lots of opportunities to volunteer in the community. They also have a Recreational Center which is free to employees, with spinning, aerobic and crossfit classes. Vendors are on site serving food each day, so makes it easy for employees at lunch time.

Cons

The time off and medical benefits are decent and competitive with the market. Work life balance is encouraged, but not always followed well because the overwhelming amount of work which needs to be accomplished, and at the pace leadership wants. My usual work week is 50 hours. There is also CONSTANT change - reorganizations, reprioritizing of goals, etc. Change fatigue is high, and if you are not a flexible person, this is not the place for you.

Invest in the tools employees need to do their jobs well (such as stable development, testing and preprod environments), as well as allow time for employees to develop products and programs right, and with quality. It also helps to avoid burnout of employees.

Valued members of a winning team on an inspiring mission

Current Employee - Software Developer
    Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing culture. Everyone is friendly and there to help. Excellent managers, lots of drive.

Cons

No real company direction. Below standard wages and benefits. The 401k has a THREE YEAR VEST on the match.
    Company is a San Antonio company in a Silicon Valley market - and acts like it.

Decide who your customers are, and nail it for them. Rackspace's offerings tend to be a little bit for everyone.

I love this place

Current Employee - Recruiting  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Recruiting in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Vacation time is incredible.
    Comp is good
    Leadership is great
    Its an innovative company

Cons

Things move fast and you have to be able to adapt to change well or you won't survive. I see people flame out regularly because they need a slower pace.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Love it!

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everybody helps everyone, and you're encouraged to grow within the company.

Cons

Don't have any cons to say about this company.

Linux System Administrator

I have been working at Rackspace full-time

Pros

Free soda and good environment

Cons

Teams behave independently and can sometimes not work toward the same goal, compensation is average.

Focus on inter team building, have people of different teams work along with other teams.

Good, could be better

Current Employee - Technical Account Manager  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Technical Account Manager in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to work, dress like you would like, laid back, you learn a lot!

Cons

Micro management, products are not compatible with the market.
    Pay is low.

Fire the bad managers who don't know what they are doing and get more developers to build more products.

Best place I've ever worked, but is slowly turning into just another corporate husk.

Current Employee - Linux Systems Engineer III  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Linux Systems Engineer III in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Rackspace is by far the best company I've ever worked for and has literally changed my life for the better, both physically in improved health and well-being, but also emotionally because it provided me an environment where I felt like I belonged. It's truly the first job I've had where I've been able to experience the positive impact I'm making on others in a real way while also at the same time getting to touch technology that's so new it won't even necessarily "hit shelves" until over a year later.

You will meet many smart, talented, passionate people at this company and they will help take you on a mental journey you never thought was possible. Many of them will end up being your new best friends. When you mix together the energy and talent with the technology resources available you end up being involved in some amazing projects that really put you on the bleeding edge of what's possible. You'll always be learning something new and being exposed to new ideas. Put this all together with a culture that embodies responsibility, honesty, transparency, and getting the job done and you end up in extremely effective teams that thrive on honest feedback and doing the best they can do.

Cons

I would say the two biggest downsides of Rackspace are:

1) The upsides are shrinking. As the company has grown the beautiful and unique culture that makes Rackspace so great has diminished considerably. This is largely due to poor hiring choices in leadership which has been extremely impactful in a negative way on the company even after some of these poor choices are dealt with my letting those leaders go.

In some particular groups leaders that were fired over 3 years ago still have a lasting negative impact on how things are done because new leaders brought into to replace them did not effectively identify the things which their predecessor did wrong and fix all of them. In many ways this is a failure of middle management that's caused because of the tendency for new leaders to bring in a cadre of cronies that follow them from whatever corporate husk they left, and if the leader gets fired, the cronies stay making it that much more difficult for a new leader to effectively resolve the things that didn't work.

2) The general level of compensation is well below market rate for a technology firm. It's pretty much always been this way, but most Rackers were okay with this in return for getting to be involved in such a wonderful culture and company and getting relatively unrestricted access to company resources to engage their minds on whatever it was at the moment they wanted to learn about. As the company has grown though the culture has dwindled and with it more restrictive policies have been created which prevent employees from being fully mentally engaged in the curiosities that drive them. It's led to a situation where many of the bright talented people I interact with come to work every day not sure exactly what they should even be doing because they don't solve problems by mandate, they solve problems by discovery.

A company where it was once acceptable to have beer during meetings as long as you weren't drunk at you desk and where every employee had significant access to technology resources to try new things just to see if they'll work is what lead to the creation of many of the innovative technical concepts and methods of achieving them that exist today. Instead we've replaced that with company policies that won't even let me stream a documentary from Netflix on a separate monitor while I'm pulling an overnight shift in operations effectively monitoring systems which are highly automated in case an immediate response is necessary.

This lack of compensation and this failure of culture has lead to a massive brain drain as the vast majority of long-time old school Rackers are bailing on the company. Anyone who is a strong technical talent is in high demand in the market, especially the likes of those who helped drive the beginnings of Cloud computing. Failure to compensate these people properly while demanding that they comply to asinine policies is a guaranteed way to lose them and with it lose the company's ability to execute effectively.

Take the red pill and wake up to reality. Middle management is lying to you constantly and you believe it, and you're being dragged into so many meetings you no longer have time to effectively talk to people on the floor to understand what's really going on. You need to fix this and the only way to do that is go back to our core values and our basics, which is communicate honestly and talk to the folks on the floor as your peers.

If you take action at all, do the following, do it soon, and do it right:

1) Fix the compensation issue. Yes, it'll increase payroll expense which will result in a net increase in opex. But, it can be offset by the other thing you should be doing.

2) Clean house. And when I say this, I'm not talking about the guys on the floor, I'm talking about the bloat of middle management and sort-of upper management (Director and below) that's lead to constantly reducing productivity and our general too many chiefs not enough indians problem. Some things /need/ management, a lot of things need less management, and sometimes things just need the right management. At the end of the day though, management, middle management especially, is what's killing this company. Not the techs on the floor, and not even necessarily the people near the top.

Great experience!

I worked at Rackspace full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fantastic people and culture. Great, growing industry and many opportunities to learn, advance and grow your career as the company continues to grow.

Cons

As a fast growing company in a fast growing industry, the company has suffered from corporate ADD in terms of identity, focus and direction causing a great deal of self-inflicted, non-necessary change. The changes are extremely tiring and sap a ton of energy from the Rackers through organizational shifts, customer re-balancing, learning the "flavor of the day/week/month/quarter". Additionally, Rackspace is now fully engaged in the 90-day earnings reports/analyst sentiments, which results in rash decision making, not enough time allowed for investments to pay off, etc. Very poor intra-organizational cooperation to get things done.

Pick a direction/strategy, stick to your guns and execute the plan.

Used to incredible

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Atmosphere, fun, being leaders in technology

Cons

personal growth, salaries, constant changing of focus as a business

do a salary survey, don't lose the culture we once had

Love it here!

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

Nice people, great environment and stuff

Cons

Get lost in castle and cant find anywhere.

Worked for Rackspace? Contribute to the Community!