Rackspace

www.rackspace.com
Employer Engaged

Lost what made it special, potential death spiral.

Current Employee - Software Developer
    Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Rackers: MANY of the Rackers here make this the only reason I've stayed as long as I have. Many of these people are close friends, confidants, and some of the most down to earth and reasonable people you will ever work with.

Cons

No Cohesion in the Offering: For years, there has not been cohesion between the "cloud", "office", and "dedicated" offerings. This is confusing for our customers. The attitude and actions that have been made recently will ensure this problem will get worse! Allowing groups to go off and build disparate tools, interfaces, etc. is wrong and not in the interest of our customers.

Accounting Games: Management is regular pulling accounting levers to try to improve the data reported to wall street. Most recently the changes in the ETO policy and removing the paid benefits for sabbaticals for seven year Rackers. Instead of obsessing about the accounting tricks, leadership needs to be focused on building a compelling offering!

Lack of Opinionated Decisions: We have no opinion on what to offer to customers, so we offer them fanatical anything. OpenStack Private Cloud? VMWare? HyperV? We can do it all, and we do it all mediocrely, at best. Meanwhile, what customers really want is a strong opinion from us on what we should offer. The infinite customization can never be supported

Practice Areas: This is one of the biggest fails of them all. Individual teams are put on a pedestal as a "model" for the company . It shouldn't be amazing that a product with a small amount of revenue is "growing gangbusters". To make matters worse, this has propped up the ego of Rackers who are in positions above what they are qualified for. The ObjectRocket team (sometimes inaccurately referred to as DataStores) is emblematic of this.

Be Consistent in your Message: Stop saying "everything we do is cloud" our customers don't look at it that way. This phrase is a byproduct of a clear bias towards advancing in the cloud over the last several years and was said to try to bridge Rackers working in "dedicated" with those working in "cloud". Stop the craziness. When Rackers clearly don't think this is the case, our customers and future customers certainly don't as well.

Turnover: 2014 was a year of exceptional turnover among highly talented Rackers. A large number of highly skilled Rackers are continuing to look for better opportunities. 2015 has the potential to have even worse turnover leaving little technical leadership in place by the end of the year.

Leadership by Anecdote - This is a company that operates off of the conjecture and opinion of a few, non-technical, MBAs that have excessive, misplaced authority. These leaders make decisions based on a few anecdotes and not on any real customer-based opinion. Unfortunately, this leadership style is pervasive within SLT and is driving the company in a direction that is destined to fail.

Re-recruit - Aggressively work to keep the Rackers around who have worked to make this a special place. Get some of the best Rackers back who have left and give them the authority to make this place successful.

Product Vision - Get a real product visionary in place who has the authority to make tough decisions and has a strong point of view. Either that, or put in place a tiger team, policy board, committee that will solve all of these problems by consensus, that could work... oh wait.

Hire @cloud_opinion as a consultant

Lack of quality

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

1. Neat things to do
    2. Interesting technology

Cons

1. Low Pay
    2. Poor benefits
    3. Changing vision (constantly) - due to rapidly changing / new leadership constantly
    4. Very, very poor middle management. Managers getting promoted without delivering tangible value.
    5. Faltering of the company core values (layoffs, no transparency regarding criteria.)
    6. Very unclear definition of career path. Some individuals have not gotten a pay raise in more than one year. Others seemingly get promoted once or more times per year.

Where to start? Reinvent from the ground up. What made this place Rackspace is rapidly eroding.

Great company...great future!

Current Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture, we'll poised in the industry and continuing to move upmarket.

Cons

Young/inexperienced frontline managers, but experienced SLT seems to be working on this.

Wicked Smart and Passionate People Work Here

Current Employee - Human Resources Program Manager in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Human Resources Program Manager in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

To start, the people and work environment is amazing. The recent PTO changes give you an additional week of time off a year. For someone who has been there 9 years, I get 5 1/2 weeks off a year not including the additional 6 paid holidays! Pay is fair when paired with the benefits package that includes an onsite 10,000 sq foot gym, ESPP stock buying program and profit sharing bonus. At this place, you are truly appreciated for the work you do and you have the ability to make a difference. Also, the training and development opportunities are endless through the Rackspace University curriculum. Even without all the perks... if it came down to only being able to work with the great people at this company... I would stay. They are passionate and make me better in both my professional life and personal life.

Cons

The company is still young and going through some growing pains so there are improvements to be made on how internal departments collaborate with one another. This is something that is already being addressed so, its not really a con.

Stay the course. Taylor Rhodes was definitely the right pick for CEO. He knows what he is doing and all other leaders need to follow his thoughtful and inspiring leadership style.

Not the same Rackspace since the previous CEO left

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

relaxed business attire, free soda, coffee, food trucks every few days, themed rooms, open sitting area

Cons

Company does not practice their own values. They announced layoffs, but no one knows about it. Had to find out by word of mouth. Makes more people scared when they find out.
    After reading the majority of reviews, it seems middle management is the pain of this company and I couldn't agree more. They make quick decisions without actual data to back them up and people wonder what is going on. The only people who leave positive reviews here, are the managers. They are not in the trenches like the techs are working non stop.
    Pay is subpar unless you have a good manager fighting for you.

I think you need to rethink your core values. They are not followed anymore. Just hang out on the floor and you will see the constant complaining. Techs are burned out...

Was sold on the hype, worst decision I made

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free soda, relaxed dress code, nice people, new problems everyday to troubleshoot

Cons

I was sold that this is a great place for your next journey in IT. I come here and find out it is great if you like to play politics. I left a good job and got screwed. I have found nothing but horrible, inexperienced managers. The training is very generic and there is only so much openstack hype they have to run on. Reorg's every quarter and shrinking employee perks. Benefits stink and raises are do not happen. San Antonio is not the best tech hub and wish I would of hit Austin before relocating down here. Potential new hires, please make sure you do your homework on this company. It is not what it use to be and is changing very rapidly for the worse. A lot of techs are looking for other jobs, so expect another mass exodus.

I have nothing to say because SLT does not listen to IC's.

tired and burned out

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great friends
    Food trucks during the week
    Get to see new issues each day
    No dress code

Cons

A handful of techs drive this company. You get burned out with the amount of pressure and constant nagging of getting things done. A lot of techs do not have the drive to keep learning, so they get comfortable in their position and not caring anymore. They do their 9-5 and go home with issues left broken. The mentality is that eh, I can just escalate this up and they'll fix it. NO ACCOUNTABILITY in this company. Very political on who you know. Middle manager's should not be managers. You can't train people to be a good manager. They have to want to be a good manager!

Company is cutting a lot of the things that made this company once great. Benefits get worse every year and too many people leaving. I guess they have no choice but to take things away to keep the stock price good. The con of a public company..

Also, San Antonio is not really a tech hub. Stick to the West coast or Austin. The day Rax goes under, a lot of people will be screwed in San Antonio.

Relook at your org and start having your managers act like managers instead of people who nag if things are getting done. If you see a trend of things failing, rework it instead of adding pressure to your techs. Its just not worth it and you wonder why people are leaving.

Network Security Adiminstrator

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

Excellent training, every day is a new challenge, your success is based off your aptitude.

Cons

Stressful sometimes, but what job doesn't get that way from time to time.

Truth is slowly unveiling

Current Employee - Program Manager in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Program Manager in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There is always the opportunity to grow and learn, as the work environment is very flexible and casual, and there is room for creativity. The pace is fast, never boring, never a dull moment. A lot of great technology, innovation, great people for the most part, fun spaces to work (not necessarily good for productivity though) I have met a lot of great people, sadly few of them made it to better positions, or just got tired and left...

Cons

Where to begin... there are a lot of VP's, it is very top heavy. It is very political, hardly a meritocracy, and women and visible minorities have it much harder... unless they are able, somehow, to join the boy's club who run the show, and keep promoting their friends, protecting each other. I saw more than 1 promotion that would skip levels (e.g. from sales rep to director) Great people have left because they are not treated with respect, and those who are left behind are either benefiting from the corruption knowing they won't get that salary and title anywhere else, or try to get by until they find a new job, or just feel like no other place will pay them as much in San Antonio (but they are wrong) Rackspace causes low professional self esteem to a lot of people. Many managers and above are not prepared for the job, but they fake it for as long as they can, hence the constant realignments, plus the attrition that saw an all time high in 2014. I guess these are the pains of a growing company?

Reinvent yourself

Phenomenal experience but just got too political

Former Employee - Racker in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Racker in London, England (UK)

I worked at Rackspace full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The culture is amazing, colleagues genuinely feel like friends and family.
    Genuinely customer centric
    If you prove yourself then you can progress quickly
    Some truly phenomenal leaders....they're outnumbered though

Cons

Senior leaders were brought in to help the company scale but sadly they only managed to pollute the culture with typical "big company" mentalities. Rhetoric became more valuable than results and, as long as you talked a good game you would be safe. The company focussed so much on employee engagement that managers had a tough time trying to exit under-performers and, sadly this has meant that the once inspiring mission of "being recognised as one of the world's greatest service companies" is now just a hollow ideal as the standards have dropped to an irreversible low.

Employee engagement, culture fit and results are all ingredients for sustained success. Don't view these as separate playing fields, it's ok to ask for world class results from your staff when you invest so much in their engagement and, when you find someone that's not pulling their weight or undermining the culture then get rid of them.