Raven Industries

Raven Industries President and CEO Daniel A. Rykhus
Daniel A. Rykhus

Fair

I have been working at Raven Industries full-time

Pros

Raven can be a fairly vibrant place to work. It depends, though. Raven has three divisions (currently, at least, because it used to be four), and they all operate basically like separate companies. I work for a remote site, so it's hard to speak to the culture at headquarters in Sioux Falls. All I can say is your experience will differ depending on where you find yourself.

It's worth mentioning that Raven has never skipped a merit increase while I've been here, even though our year-to-year performance is dropping, and belts are being tightened.

This could be considered a pro or con, but, even though work can be fast-paced at Raven, I think the people are pretty laid back and down-to-earth. Of course, there are always bad apples, but I think overall the people don't take themselves too terribly seriously, and I mean that as a compliment. Also, the work/life balance is good.

Cons

First of all, the remote site where I work is being shuttered. So Raven is not doing well financially right now. Also, the vast majority of employees work at headquarters. This is probably common, but I would not highly recommend working at a remote site. All the glam and glory is at headquarters. You see on the inter-company video monitors how they are remodeling and moving into new spaces and hiring in Sioux Falls, while at your site, it's kind of an eyesore, there's little-to-no remodeling and upkeep, and for the past couple years, we have lost people and not replaced them.

Also, I don't think training and continuing education is too good at Raven. Now, it *seems* like it might be better at headquarters, but that's just a general impression. But from my end, not a lot of opportunities for growth and cross training. That is all up to you on your own time, in a way.

Also, I could be biased from my former employer, but I don't think the benefits are very good at Raven. In my case, they pay 78% of my health insurance premiums, and I have heard of other companies paying a lot more than that. Also, I'm not sure the health insurance options are top notch to begin with, but they're not bad, either. But coverage is not that good overall, considering vision and dental.

Used to be a great place to work.

I worked at Raven Industries full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Typical benefits package that is somewhat less expensive than average for the area.

Cons

Senior management is unprepared and unqualified for their positions. Lower level management is self serving and clique-y. Back stabbing and bad mouthing are standard procedure. Lay offs are common but done in such a way that it is never brought to the attention of the media. If you are over 40, watch out - there's a good chance you will be one that gets tapped for a lay off.

Micromanagement Causes Great Challenges

I have been working at Raven Industries full-time

Pros

Raven makes great products with a great purpose and we are headquartered in a great community. These products are made in diversified industries which in theory should help maintain stability for employees across the organization.

Cons

Executive management is VERY short sighted and completely reactive. Leaders should be looking out farther than the next quarterly report. This desire to "hit the number" has most employees at EVERY level looking over their shoulder instead of focusing on producing. During tough times, I would expect a company with a good balance sheet showing no debt and plenty of cash to focus on their products, customers, and employees instead of how many people to fire to help the earnings report in the next quarter.

Stop micromanaging the short term chaos, manage the long term opportunities. Invest in growth opportunities now that will pay dividends when the market returns, its that old saying "buy low and sell high". You have an excellent rainy day fund, now is the time to invest in the companies future, not erode your teams confidence.
    If you need to reduce costs, be open and up front with your employees. Offer early retirement, attractive severance packages to those willing to accept them. After this, then you cut only were necessary for a 2-3 year outlook, not 3-6 months. What you have done with multiple layoffs in 2014 at all levels throughout the company has destroyed morale and productivity. I fear it is a matter of time until the culture of this great company is destroyed by infighting as everyone tries to save their job at the expense of the greater company good.

One of Sioux Fall's best

I have been working at Raven Industries

Pros

Top notch organization. The benefits that are offered are very competitive within the Sioux Falls market and in most cases less expensive than a majority of SF employers. Competitive in terms of salary. Generous in terms of policies and procedures. Exciting in terms of the products we produce. Relaxed and extremely open, friendly environment. I love it!!

Cons

I believe the Leaders at Raven have the best intentions but have a difficult time executing. Raven is not the "technology" company they claim to be but I believe they are trying to move in that direction. Raven may be notorious for "lay-offs" but in reality, it's temporary employees whose assignment has ended. The biggest draw back might be the cyclical nature of the business. But in reality isn't this true of many manufacturing companies, that to single Raven out would not be fair.

Dan and his team of leaders need to be one step ahead. Where are the creative minds that will take Raven to the next level. Stop waiting....take a leap of faith.....become the industry leader that you claim us to be.

Better than unemployment?

I have been working at Raven Industries

Pros

Great place to coast out till retirement. Casual, easy, never really felt challenged. Some good travel opportunities. Products are. ..interesting. some nice coworkers.

Cons

This is a company not solving great challenges. CEO and chain of managment downward are superficial to their employees. Strategy seems severely flawed particularly for the company RAVEN is (Take a look at last year's stock performance). Leadership focused on profits while laying people off during the holidays. IMHO , doesn't have technical capabilities to go places.

Getting too political NOT the Company that it used to be

I have been working at Raven Industries full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits for the area.

Cons

Company does not reward loyalty or hard work, little room for advancement, politics involved in all decisions.
    People close to executives, or relatives/church buddies are given raises and are promoted quickly even if not qualified.
    New management does not follow what it preaches. Can't make decisions on product direction.
    Currently have a reputation for manufacturing outdated products. New products are released before they are ready for market.

Disappointed

I worked at Raven Industries full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great co workers and friendships made, company willing to spend money, ability to get training and equipment, great place to get experience and move on

Cons

Company doesnt reward loyalty or hard work, little room for advancement, politics involved in all decisions, management rhetoric not followed by themselves

If you want growth or anything other than a paycheck, stay away

Former Employee - Line Worker in Earth City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Line Worker in Earth City, MO (US)

I worked at Raven Industries full-time (more than an year)

Pros

"Steady pay". A place to help you pay some of your bills if you're in need a pay check, in which we all are.

Cons

Notorious for lay offs. No room for growth. The security of your job is determined by management's ability to secure contracts in an era of business where people are outsourcing their work over seas.

I'm honestly not sure if this company needs the departments that they currently have "management" in. There are two and three person departments that can be consolidated under one manager, but they will ignore that and will lay off an entire shift of individuals on the manufacturing floor instead.

Great company

I have been working at Raven Industries

Pros

The people of the company are the best. They make you want to work harder.

Cons

not many cons at all, maybe just to update some facilities

none

A Company Solving Great Challenges

I have been working at Raven Industries full-time

Pros

I work for a company that solves great challenges in areas of feeding the world, saving lives, and protecting the environment. That's a purpose I can get behind! We also have a Young Professionals Network to network, volunteer, and expand our skills.

Cons

The fast pace can become overwhelming. Currently have a reputation for manufacturing outdated products instead of technology innovations that we're currently producing.

Hire additional people to even the work load. We have a great story to tell and need to get it out more to attract great talent.