Raytheon

3.3
1,435 Reviews

Raytheon Chairman and CEO William H. Swanson
William H. Swanson

Pros
  • Flexible work schedule provides excellent work-life balance (in 166 reviews)

• Time-off: 9/80 schedule allows for 9 hour workdays and every other Friday off (in 126 reviews)

Cons
  • In my experience didn't value work/ life balance (in 36 reviews)

• Upper management often doesn't recognize how it is different from manufacturing (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A decent place to visit, but I couldn't afford to stay there

Former Employee - Software Engineer II  in  Arlington, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Arlington, VA (US)

Pros

I thought Raytheon was mostly fine. The benefits were fine. My coworkers were mostly good and helpful people. There was rarely an expectation to work past normal hours.

Cons

Compensation. I started out in a very junior role simply assisting a senior engineer maintain and develop some JSP sites. After a year though, the senior engineer found a new job elsewhere and I was left to maintain those sites alone. Later, I was tasked with entirely new development efforts in ASP.NET and SharePoint. That's the context I provide when I now inform you that in my nearly five years there I received no promotions, and my raises did not even keep pace with the rate of inflation much less surpass it.

You'll note below that I did check the box recommending this company to a friend. I do that because I think this division of Raytheon would still be fine for a short stint of say 2-3 years. Plus my situation was probably a bit more extreme than normal. My only advice is that if you feel you're getting shortchanged when the annual raise time comes around, don't believe them when they say it will be better next year.

I know Raytheon is a large company, so I'm sure of their management already knows this, but those that don't need to realize that undervaluing your employees may save you money in the short run, but is probably costing the company a fortune in the long run. The costs of high turnover are not insignificant.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Senior Information Systems Technologist II  in  Arlington, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Information Systems Technologist II in Arlington, VA (US)

Pros

Good environment, very good 401k, supportive team, good benefits, good training. I would definitely come back (in fact, in a lot of ways, I'm sorry I left there in the first place)

Cons

Too much badgering about contributing to the PAC. I would have preferred to not seen quite as much political involvement, but understand that, as a defense contractor, such things are necessary.

n/a -- they did a great job and can't consider much to recommend.

A good place to work if you need to get out by 6PM every night.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA (US)

Pros

Support getting additional outside education (masters degrees)
    Job security

Cons

Slow promotions - not a meritocracy
    Compensation is not competitive
    Strong chain of command impeeds creativity

Don't be afraid of change.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer  in  Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Arlington, VA (US)

Pros

Nice place to work, typical government contractor.

Cons

Management is old school, need work on ppl skills.

Listen to younger engineer, encourage there new ideas.

Ok place, but easy to get lost

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Arlington, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA (US)

Pros

If you're interested in the defense world, RTN is a great place. lot's of interesting technology and many interesting people.

Cons

It's hard to get ahead without some gray hair. This isn't the place for a your professional trying to shoot up the corporate ladder.

Overall, the senior management seems pretty good. There was too much focus on process however. Sometimes it felt like working for the government.

Worked for Raytheon? Contribute to the Community!