RealPage

Updated 28 January 2015
2.9

RealPage CEO Stephen T. Winn
Stephen T. Winn

Pros
  • Office culture in San Francisco is a bit laid back for some teams, good work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Cool Office location, great people to be around (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Staff is always stressed and depressed, no such thing as a work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Upper management does not readily share information (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

No Place For Skilled Software Persons

Current Employee - Software Developer IV in Carrollton, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Software Developer IV in Carrollton, TX (US)

I have been working at RealPage full-time (less than a year)

Pros

None really. Pay was ok but bennies are average at best.

If you are new to software development, it may be a good place to get a "starter" job but that's it. I feel for anyone new to software development that goes to work here and thinks this is how the rest of the world works. It's not, trust me.

Cons

Too many lifers who are content to accept things as they are. "We do it this way because we always have done it this way." is the prevailing mood. They are lifers because they would struggle to find jobs elsewhere.

They say they want to change but are afraid to change.

Bloated middle management. Stay there long enough and you are a manager. Qualified or not. Once you make middle management, you spend the rest of your time ensuring you don't have to take any blame for anything.

Managers are heavily bonused - this is a bad thing because of the previous statement. Their entire existence then becomes based around getting their bonuses. That means ensuring they don't get blamed for anything.

CEO's dad started the company. Pretty much all you need to know.

Much of the software (blame) is off-shored to the Philippines and India. Convenient for local managers.

Resign.

Good place to start with great coworkers but very stressful and mundane after a long period of time.

I have been working at RealPage

Pros

It's a great place to start with great pay increases every quarter for those starting out. I have a great supervisor and good friends there which helps when there is a stressful day.

Cons

Did I mention stressful days? Yes especially during the summer when the upper management has not scheduled enough or hired enough people to handle call volume the calls are back to back all day and there are people on the other end who do not understand how we help them and take their frustration out on us.

Please higher more people at the start of the summer and communicate with the staff of the properties we service so they can communicate with their customers as to what they can expect from our service.

Be prepared.

Former Employee - Employee
    Former Employee - Employee

I worked at RealPage full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work life balance and good pay. Flexible working hours and nice working areas. Sometimes with free food during anniversaries. Friendly colleagues.

Cons

Management doesn't value their employees. They say that they provide you the best place to work, the newest technology and other good stuffs.

But the later you will find yourself rushing things due to demands, technology is way way back and just masking the product itself.

Be prepared to get fired if management doesn't like you.

Listen to your employees and look closely for their potentials.

OK, but don't stay long

Former Employee - Data Center Engineer in Carrollton, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Data Center Engineer in Carrollton, TX (US)

I worked at RealPage full-time (more than a year)

Pros

* Learn how to deal with a "Windows 98" style software shop.

Cons

* Benefits are sub-par at best.
    * You're going to be a work horse no matter the position (engineer, manager, director, etc)
    * Executive Management doesn't care as long as the products stay online and when a product is offline, expect to be thrown under a bus in any and every way possible. But don't expect a pat on the back when it's doing great.
    * Lots of inter-departmental cronyism.
    * Executives, especially within HR organizations, will not be truthful.
    * When a breakroom in one of the buildings has issues, rather than fix it, it's "taped off".

* Don't make empty promises (specifically to the "Chief People Officer")
    * Actually care about the common goal of the company like those on your bottom floor do.
    * Grant more stock options to employees rather than letting them see you cash out on them.
    * It's time for Mr. Winn to retire and let someone else attempt to resuscitate this company.

Fun team, major changes ahead which could be good or bad

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at RealPage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers & flexible work environment - My department is very fun, and has a lot of opportunity for the products to grow. We have many team outings and there is a lot of trust from management towards the team. I've had lots of opportunities to learn new skills and have been given responsibilities which have enabled me to grow.

Cons

Currently there have been too many changes to management causing uncertainty & lack of leadership/direction for the LeaseStar side of the business. Also, it's hard dealing with needy clients that have little to no technical background & this gets very tedious.

For the SF office, salaries are okay, could be better since this is such an expensive area. Also, bring back some of the food - it's a great way to offer competitive benefits at little expense. More direction for future plans of the SF office would be uplifting - things seem a bit uncertain at the moment.

Too much change creates morale issues and uncertainity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at RealPage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cool Office location, great people to be around

Cons

-Too much leadership change for any team member’s comfort.
    -Silo mentality to corporate office
    -Polarizing cultural differences between corporate office and the SF location

San Francisco office has had many leadership changes in the last 3 years. One day RealPage is investing in its brand new office space, then a little over a year later they are looking at SF as a huge expense, recruiting in other locations first and IF they can't find the talent in those areas they will pony up and hire someone.

There is a huge cultural difference from our corporate office based in Texas compared to San Francisco. I don't think they understand what is needed to hire, and retain top talent. RealPage wants to be hip and colorful software company but it’s unwilling to embrace the human capital best practices in the software vertical. Bottom line is the best talent in the US market for mobile developers, software engineers, and product managers is in the San Francisco Bay Area, and to view this office as a huge expense is a mistake.

You can't build a huge office space one year and then want to shrink it the next. One way or the other... they will learn a valuable lesson.

Book Smart but Little Real World Expertise

Former Employee - Manager in Brea, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Brea, CA (US)

I worked at RealPage full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good Christian company with quality people and great work environment on a beutiful campus.

Cons

People are hired based on their connections and religeous beliefs which is great but too many of the key positions are filled by unqualified individuals. The staff mistake activity for productivity.

Start looking to hire from outside the company instead of promoting internal candidates that are unqualified.

Well Oiled Machine

Current Employee - Licensed Customer Care Associate in Carrollton, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Licensed Customer Care Associate in Carrollton, TX (US)

I have been working at RealPage full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very good opportunity to find an avenue that fits with multiple types of jobs. Good pay, benefits galore and plenty of people to get to know.

Cons

not much room for upward mobility. Was there a year and the only hope of a raise was if I was 100% perfect I could see a 5% raise maximum. That was it.

Understand that if you want people to enjoy the work they do there, there has to be a upward trend and opportunity at the business. You can't expect to start professionals off at the cap.

Fast-paced and evolving daily...

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Carrollton, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Carrollton, TX (US)

I have been working at RealPage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company operates with the passion and energy of a startup. I get a chance to impact team goals and clients EVERY day. The career growth opportunities are there for the doer's and those that have an ownership mindset.

Cons

Patience is required when you double in size over a three year period. That was reiterated countless times during the interview process and during the time of my employ.

Stay the course and see your vision through to the very end.

Overworked and underpaid employees, top-heavy management, high employee turnover

Current Employee - Implementation Analyst
    Current Employee - Implementation Analyst

I have been working at RealPage full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The only pros I can think of for working here are the flexibility, fair amount of vacation days and floating holidays, and decent benefits. There is an opportunity for personal growth, but the people who start off now will have to endure a lot of abuse and fight a steep uphill battle to try and climb the ranks. Most people who have higher titles were part of the companies that were acquired by this conglomerate (RealPage, Inc.), and were assigned the title & salary as a default. Also, the gap between what software developers receive and what analysts/consultants receive is absolutely horrific. It's very discouraging to see such major gaps in pay between people of relatively similar levels of education and experience.

Cons

Horrible pay; much lower than industry average. Executives do not believe in allocating resources in areas that will preserve brand image and client satisfaction. They are mainly concerned with revenues. The "RealPage policy" also seems to be to under-hire and overwork their existing employees. As more and more employees are leaving this company each month, the work that those employees were in charge of just keeps getting dumped on other existing employees. Onboarding is slow and training takes a long time because they task current employees with training new-hires, on top of the other work that they've inherited from employees that have left AND their own work. There are also a lot of office politics, but you'll usually encounter this in any corporation. Basically, this is just a good job to have for a certain period of time to rack up some experience - until you can find a company that actually values their employees and will pay them what they're worth. This may explain the revolving door here.

Pay your employees a little more fairly (see: industry averages). Do not neglect certain products or the people who are holding them together, simply because they do not generate as much revenue for the company. Also, hire more people instead of dumping so many responsibilities on certain employees that seem like they're willing to take it on. You are taking advantage of them and they will be more likely to leave the company with less than 2-weeks notice as soon as they find something better. (This is if they have not already had a heart attack or stroke from all the stress put on them.)