Red Lobster

Red Lobster Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Red Lobster President Kim Lopdrup

Kim Lopdrup

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, it's usually easy to pick up extra shifts or to give shifts away(in 35 reviews)

• friends for life, Benefits ,401K, opportunities for advancement(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • If you want money you have to work long hours(in 24 reviews)

• 4 table stations to ensure guests get what they want then 1 year later changing back to 3 table stations(in 13 reviews)

Tough but tolerable

Server (Former Employee) Deptford

ProsAble to make decent money as a server. Decent flexibility in scheduling except for holidays. Afternoon and evening/weekend shifts were a good time to work due to the volume of tables.

ConsThere were frequent management changes. No benefits to speak of. As long as you are there to work hard for your tips it should be ok.

Great leadership, quality team, very flexible.

Server (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT (US)

ProsWork schedule is very flexible

Management is very fair and very direct in feedback and criticism

Team environment is very friendly.

ConsExperience varies by location

Management has a tendency to always side with the clientele

Company relies on tips to finance front-of-house staff

Advice to Senior ManagementRed Lobster was a fantastic experience while I worked to put myself through college. The management was very helpful, and frequently listened to my requests for time off to study or work on last-minute project details. As a server, the pay was quite nice for the amount of time put in, and the fellow staff members were happy and supportive. Red Lobster does a great job at balancing work and life.

Great Team

Server (Former Employee) Bronx, NY (US)

ProsWe get paid weekly. Coworkers work very well together. it is a team effort. management was very nice and cared for their employees. did not allow employees to accept disrespect at any time from guests. they worked well with us and scheduling was very flexible

Consmanagement could get crazy when it is busy. the training for servers could have been a little mor thorough. i feel like they just there us in and expected us to know everything.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Came for the pay, stayed for the people

Server Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsI started to work here to make it through the summer of my freshman year in college, and I could not have found a better place. The initial draw was the money, but the other members of the crew are what has made it worthwhile. Some of the servers have been there for more than 10 years, while there is also a great mix of younger students of the like. Overall, the culture of willingness to help each other out and develop relationships has made the experience a positive one.

ConsThe side work is tough, especially when quality control comes to town. And of course there are the cons of working in the restaurant business in general (i.e. rude people), but the pros definitely outweigh the cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure to stay transparent in your actions.

Good experience - friendly team members, CEO and execs a little clueless.

Host (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsI worked at several restaurants during my years with Red Lobster and I really enjoyed the attitudes of both the managers and the staff. They were really good at promoting a "team-friendly" environment.

ConsFood service, in general, is very challenging. Hungry people are cranky people. Some customers are very difficult to deal with. Crazy hours, just as you'll have with any restaurant. The constant feeling of being "on stage" while you're working.

Advice to Senior ManagementCEOs and upper echelon - Learn what it takes to really relate to customers. Servers don't have time to recite a 5-minute speech to each of their tables, and customers don't want to hear it. Focus on efficiency, not reading scripts as you serve.

Best Company You Could Work For

Line Cook (Current Employee) State College, PA (US)

ProsSemiannual raise opportunities
    Advancement opportunities
    Cross-training readily available
    High starting wage
    Wonderful people
    Great policies
    Clean restaurant
    Great food

ConsThe only con I have to mention is that whomever is assembling the meals from the line generally ends up having a lot of things thrown at them all at once. If the kitchen were set up in a straight line leading to the assembler, it would be much easier for other line members to contribute to their portion of the assembly of the meal.

99% Terrific.

General Manager (Current Employee) Lansing, MI (US)

ProsBeing allowed to determine your own advancement.

ConsBalancing career time and family time.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe flexible in allowing unit managers to manager.

Great place to make quick money, not for long term.

Server (Current Employee) Horseheads, NY (US)

ProsCo workers treat everyone like family. It is an enjoyable environment to come to work in. Discounts on dining in and after shift meals. It is very easy to trade or give away shifts if you need time off.

ConsThey don't offer benefits or vacation pay if you work under 30 hours per week anymore because of the sale of the restaurant from Darden company.

This was my first real job and it taught me hard work.

Expo (Former Employee) Bloomington, IN (US)

ProsLeadership skills gained, Trained others on how to properly plate a meal, helped with the serving of plates.

ConsLate hours, I smelled like fish all the time, thats all.

loved everything about it

Server (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ (US)

ProsThe discounts on the food are great

ConsIt gets crazy busy during lobster sales

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Worked for Red Lobster? Contribute to the Community!