Redbox

Redbox Reviews

Updated Apr 08, 2014
Redbox – “Fun cubicle”

Mark Horak

Pros:
  • "The first place I worked at that allowed me to have a work/life balance"
    in 7 reviews
  • "The company offers great benefits in the form of medical , dental & vacations"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Middle and Upper management unsure of how to execute and what new ideas to pursue"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Communication, growth (all non-field employees are on Chicago)"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great until activist investors got in!!

Senior Level (Current Employee)
Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)

I have been working at Redbox full-time

ProsThe company used to have some great talent in the technology space around chicago land area and they still do. Great benefits and pays relatively well

ConsUntil about 2 years Redbox was operating as a standalone unit. Changes in the management, especially when the technology leaders from redbox left - they were filled in by the corporate outerwall personnel. From that point on they have transitioned over to an less creative, enterprise mode operational environment.
Add insult to injury, activist investors got in and they started the cost-cutting initiatives.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have some great talent and please make sure they don't leave because of an increasingly less creative environment.

Good place to pursue a great career

Middle Management (Current Employee)

I have been working at Redbox full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThere may be times you need to work more, but we value work life balance. Great benefits. smart and dedicated peers. offers new oppurtunities, internal career growth is immense.

Conswork in all kinds of elements and time constraints, Middle and Upper management unsure of how to execute and what new ideas to pursue. No idea how to deflect Netflix and streaming offerings in general. Continually starting and stopping new business as if they never tested the idea in market.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Lack of engagement

Regional Operations Supervisor (Former Employee)

I worked at Redbox full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCompetitive pay, above average benefits, mostly good people. Work life balance is okay, sometimes shaky. The ability to work from home.

ConsA lot. I really don't see how this part of the company will last. Upper management never makes it feel like they understand what the field has to endure. There is constant resentment of the corporate office and nothing is done to change it. The expectation of them saying jump and us saying how high is not the way to run this business. I also did not care for my final supervisor, who seemed to barely have a grasp on the English language and also used defamatory terms.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have values that mean nothing. Do any of you at the director level exhibit humility? Respect? I think the only value you cared about was dedication, but even that is questionable.

A terrific idea that upper management tries to continue to squeeze.

Manager, Technology (Current Employee)
Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)

I have been working at Redbox full-time for more than a year

ProsA fantastic crew of people, smart and dedicated to the goal. The first place I worked at that allowed me to have a work/life balance.

ConsMiddle and Upper management unsure of how to execute and what new ideas to pursue. No idea how to deflect Netflix and streaming offerings in general. Continually starting and stopping new business as if they never tested the idea in market.

FSR1

Prosvacation, benefits and 401k plan

Conswork in all kinds of elements and time constraints

Call Center

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Redbox full-time for less than a year

ProsThe training was fairly good.

ConsHow the call center is operated. Had to raise a flag for help and go to the washroom.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of having to raise a flag for help! Have enough people on the floor to efficiently answer questions.

Was a fantastic place when it was redbox and a startup.

I worked at Redbox

ProsSuper smart and talented redbox team and leaders. Phenomenal startup experience and learning. Real impact, real change, real growth.

ConsCoinstar. Coinstar. Coinstar. The management at Coinstar shat the bed and tanked the business. They have no idea how to lead an entertainment company, and have sucked the life out of redbox to keep coin counting machines afloat.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo redbox: Keep your head up.

To Coinstar: Fire yourself and let redbox be free.

New experiences everyday.

I worked at Redbox

ProsFlexible, New Experiences everyday, Cheap DVD Rentals, A car if you are an FSR2 or higher.

ConsPay, Corporate keeps changing SOPs, Metrics, Work Life Balance

Advice to Senior ManagementTake advice from field operations personnel about daily operations pros/cons.

Was a great company....

Regional Manager (Current Employee)
Costa Mesa, CA (US)

I have been working at Redbox full-time for more than 5 years

ProsVery generous compensation. Great benefits. Great feild employees

ConsCorporate has no idea what field employees are put through. They are given more and more work but no more hours to get it done. Field managers and RM's under a great deal to do magic. If not no matter how long you have been there they are willing to kick you to the curb! Very sad.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your field employees like you value them. Let the Regional Managers manage their own style. Not everyone manages by intimidation.

Former FS1 "Horrible company and it will not be around longer then 3 more years"

Field Service Representative I (Former Employee)
Fishkill, NY (US)

I worked at Redbox full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe Pros was being on you own.

ConsI have worked for the company for 5 years and let go which are in the guidelines of wrongful termination due to discrimination.

The company truly and never will care of anyone on the Field Support level no matter what corporate pitches to employees. This is one of the worst Micro Management companies i have ever seen and the management in general especially Regional Supervisor and Regional Manager do not care about anything except metrics and cutting hours making you work more for less.

Your always in fear of getting a harassing email from your Supervisor on how bad a job you doing and how you went 12 mins and 2 miles over what your allowed to drive despite having a log detailing reasons for everything.

No personal Life.

Have to store movies in home and they do not pay you for storage of their own property.

Mileage reimbursement barely doesn't cover amount for gas or wear and tear on your car.

Your guaranteed to buy a new car every year do to driving for this company.

Managers are always out to cover themselves they will always blame everything on you.

NY region is horrifically run by racist and degrading managers especially in the Hudson Valley region.

You will never advance in this company no matter how will you do.

Worse company to work for PERIOD.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace all managers that know how to manage. Meaning fire yourself.

Worked for Redbox? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Redbox reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Redbox CEO Mark Horak . All 92 reviews are posted anonymously by Redbox employees.