Redbox

Updated 22 January 2015
Updated 22 January 2015
2.9

Mark Horak

Pros
  • The company has good benefits, Expect the yearly bonus to go away next year (in 15 reviews)

• The first place I worked at that allowed me to have a work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management fails to follow through accessing machine failures and maintenance (in 9 reviews)

• This can cause serious wear and tear (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)

I have been working at Redbox as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Nice office and working environment. Free snack, Starbucks coffee, fruits. Flexibility of working schedule depends on field manager: possible to work from home if necessary. Bonus - get free DVD for every night :)

Cons

All main decisions done by business team, unfortunately not always right.

Field Support Rep I -( FSR 1) - Quit

Former Employee - Field Support Representative I in Midwest City, OK (US)
    Former Employee - Field Support Representative I in Midwest City, OK (US)

I worked at Redbox

Pros

-First of let me start off by saying when I started, I got all the support from my boss and direct coworkers. They we're more than supportive in training and helping answering calls even when they weren't obligated to or we're with family.
    -Somewhat flexible hours
    -Fridays usually off
    -You can be on your own
    -part-time position that can be considered full-time.

Cons

1) Micromanaged, I hired on shortly after as Outerwall took over Red box. From what I heard it was a pleasant place to work before the take over, but they don't have all their ducks in a line. The training is rather minimal. You learn on the job a lot. There should be more streamlined training process at corporate. However, that likely won't happen because they probably don't plan on keeping employee's for that long. Which brings me to my next con....

2) For an FSR 1, there is no company car, no fleet vehicle, let alone a car allowance outside of the mileage reimbursement which can be cumbersome in terms of detailing routes. They pay for your mileage reimbursement but what really is the problem is that your using your OWN vehicle, and depending on your route, you will be stopping and starting your vehicle upwards of 15-25x a day giving the engine 10-20minutes of rest in between. It's very stressful on engines. Despite the fact that you'll pack on the miles, It's not the mileage you'll be worried about. You would think for a company that requires you to drive a vehicle all day, they would invest a little more into that aspect of the job.

3) Onto the next con, your vehicle will be jam packed with boxes of dvd's and marketing product. Sure you can empty your vehicle out, but that will get old unloading the boxes every time. You actually should have a SUV with significant room for the boxes, marketing material plus a tote bag filled with supplies.

4) The machines are for the most part outside with some select counties having things different. What this translates to is to sometimes an unsafe environment. In certain areas these things get broken into quite a bit. You also have to do the job when it's raining, snowing, hot or cold. You'll be on the ground at times whether that's dirty cement/snow or ice. Most of the machines do not have awnings over them.

5) People will talk to you and sometimes hassle or even harass you which can be expected, but it will be annoying at the very least while your trying to answer there questions while they are completely oblivious to the fact that you are trying to do a job. God-bless em, but kids are even worse. At least kids with oblivious parents. They will pull out DVD's artwork knock over stacked piles that your counting. That's another thing, your taught to multitask so you'll have to manage and keep close watch over product because it can and will disappear whether it's your fault or somebody Else's.

6) The pay for this kind of position is not where it should be. I believe average hourly salary is around $12-15, however it realistically should be somewhere between $16-20.

1) Give the FSR 1 some sort of company car/fleet vehicle to use during the day or at the bare minimum a car allowance outside of the mileage reimbursement. They drive a lot.
    2) Review training process
    3) Consider increase pay
    4) Try to spend the extra money to have the machines inside the stores. It's not only safer to the employee, but it's also safer for the customer. Also customers don't want to stand outside when it's raining or snowing.

It was a great company in the beginning but lost its edge when Coinstar took over.

I worked at Redbox full-time

Pros

Compensation is ok. Good health care benefits. Great field teams and managers. Bonus program is great incentive for giving your best at the local level.

Cons

Once the original leadership team left the company went downhill and its values became lip service and there was a huge disconnect with upper management. They lost sight of the people whether they intended it or not.

Overall very positive

I have been working at Redbox full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are great, so is work/personal life balance. Excellent paid time off.

Cons

I often do not have enough work to do to get me to 40 hours per week so often cashing in time off on a normal check to fill in gaps.

level 1 technician

Former Employee - Level I Technician in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Level I Technician in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Redbox full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good place to work. environment positive to be around. easy to lean procedures

Cons

advancement to hierarchical jobs is tough to get in to. Seems to be about who you know rather than what you can do

Keep striving hard and thinking about employees and everything should balance out.

Too much drama.

I have been working at Redbox full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits good. Paid time off good for senior tenured employees.

Cons

Drama by direct superior and superiors going up. Upper management fails to follow through accessing machine failures and maintenance. HR fails to take steps in ensuring field employees are treated fairly.

Listen to from bottom side up. If someone quits stream the freaking hiring process, and back fill ASAP. Stop expecting teams to pick up slack for a vacant position. Provide certifications for FSR 2. Practice what you preach and hire from within on levels not just fsr1 to fsr 2. FSR 3 position needed to better train fsr 2 and travel to train others. Marketing department is a joke and key failure into branding our name in households in America.

FSR 2 at redbox.

Current Employee - Field Service Representative II in Jacksonville, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Field Service Representative II in Jacksonville, NC (US)

I have been working at Redbox full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

pay is ok, good benefits. its a field job so you work by yourself.

Cons

low work life balance. they expect you to be available 8am- 8p 7 days a week. pay should be more with all that you have to do. there is no growth for advancement.

Great organization to work for. Room to grow in the company if you so desire. Good pay and nice benefits.

Former Employee - Regional Manager in Billings, MT (US)
    Former Employee - Regional Manager in Billings, MT (US)

I worked at Redbox full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great leadership from the top down. If you get work done on time you never hear from corporate. I received 3 weeks vacation right from the start and two bonuses a year by achieving my metrics.

Cons

In my area (Montana) there was a lot of traveling because of servicing kiosks that were so far apart that you did put in some long days and even weeks. Especially during the winter months.

Had a very good rapport with management, very approachable and helped to resolve any difficulties that you faced on the job.

Was a great place to work at

Current Employee - Senior BI Developer in Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior BI Developer in Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)

I have been working at Redbox full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Redbox was the most fun I have ever had at a job! Every day was a good time. The work was challenging but meaningful.

Cons

They had a great chance to get into streaming and compete with Netflix, but senior leadership made a mess of things.

The best thing management could do is sell the company to someone that will take proper care of it. Outerwall made a real mess of things.