Reed Elsevier Group

www.reedelsevier.com

Reed Elsevier Group Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014
Reed Elsevier Group – Amsterdam – “Reed Elsevier Headquarters”

Reed Elsevier Group CEO and Director; CEO, Reed Elsevier PLC, Reed Elsevier NV, Elsevier Division Erik Engstrom

Erik Engstrom

Pros
  • ownership, freedom to work compared to other competition companies,work life balance(in 8 reviews)

• Great benefits and company supported initiatives(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Communication between senior management and the its' reporting teams is not always optimal(in 6 reviews)

• Poor strategy and execution of off shoring and outsourcing leads to loss of talent, poorer customer service and inefficiency(in 4 reviews)

Great to start career here

Pros- Great place to start your career

Cons- Hard to move up

Advice to Senior ManagementOrganization is key. Work on it.

Great company to work for

Account Manager (Current Employee) Orlando, FL (US)

ProsVery customer service oriented. Great benefits and hours. Offer many different training and advancement opportunities. Also do special things to boost employee morale.

ConsMany positions in the United States were outsourced and many layoffs took place

Good place to work

ProsGood work-life balance. Very international. Smart co-workers.

ConsSlow moving. Lots of processes to be followed.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Incredibly challenging but not without its rewards

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people.
    Most of the people I dealt with whether they be part of the shared services group, business controllers and finance teams of both the US and UK business divisions or even the AsiaPac team..all of them are incredibly knowledgeable and open to collaboration.

ConsUnfortunately in 2013 there has been significant RIF(s) in the US in the operational and SS areas (not sure about what is going on in the UK) A good chunk of that talent has been taken away; the people that are left are being stretched to increase output without additional resources or improved infrastructure. Communication between senior management and the its' reporting teams is not always optimal.

Ok place to work

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Dayton, OH (US)

ProsNot a bad place to work and benefits are good.

Consnot many and overall good place to work

Very large company and culture mindset

Director (Former Employee) Norwalk, CT (US)

ProsVery, very large company stability. The company has clear policies on HR, growth, travel, etc... I prefer small companies and working here was hard but always fair, always.

ConsFor me, the big company culture was hard. Things do not happen quickly and that can be a good thing if you can be patient.

Advice to Senior ManagementA little more transparency in the management thought process would be good.

A difficult place to work

Consulting Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Oxford, England (UK)

ProsInteresting location and some nice people work there.

ConsI worked in the RETS area. It's over-siloed, over out-sourced and good communication between teams is difficult. the on boarding process is fatally flawed. The net result is that it is very difficult to understand how to do your job. There's too much process and very little procedure. They try to do things the ITIL way and fail miserably in my opinion.

Advice to Senior ManagementForget about having a separate IT service department and integrate IT with the business areas.

There has been better times

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsWork with some excellent peers in my group and others, challenging work, with fair compensation.

ConsRecent re-orgs an

Albany office will be closing, while i expect to be able to continue a HBE, the impact to people I've been working with for years and to the city, where Matthew Bender has had a historical precence is challenging.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication, current organization is not well defined or understood.

A great company in desperate need of a vision

Department Head (Current Employee) Amsterdam (Netherlands)

ProsInternational, highly educated work force
    Flexible working hours, parent-friendly
    Opportunity to serve high-calibre science

ConsCEO is invisible, a bean-counter with no apparent vision for the future. Poor strategy and execution of off shoring and outsourcing leads to loss of talent, poorer customer service and inefficiency.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up and notice the sea change that has happened in the academic community and our new technology-driven competitors. Cost control and relying on traditional products is not enough to sustain our privileged profit share. A new vision is needed to inspire customers, employees and shareholders. Try not to waste the opportunity of the Mendeley merger.

Neutral - Daily Routine Job

ProsVoluntarily attend more training sessions for your personal development.
    Transportation facilities.

ConsMissing domain expert leadership of missing management group.

Worked for Reed Elsevier Group? Contribute to the Community!