Reed Elsevier Group

www.reedelsevier.com

Reed Elsevier Group Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014
Reed Elsevier Group – Amsterdam – “Reed Elsevier Headquarters”

Reed Elsevier Group CEO and Director; CEO, Reed Elsevier PLC, Reed Elsevier NV, Elsevier Division Erik Engstrom

Erik Engstrom

Pros
  • ownership, freedom to work compared to other competition companies,work life balance(in 8 reviews)

• Great benefits and company supported initiatives(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Communication between senior management and the its' reporting teams is not always optimal(in 6 reviews)

• Poor strategy and execution of off shoring and outsourcing leads to loss of talent, poorer customer service and inefficiency(in 4 reviews)

Neutral - Daily Routine Job

ProsVoluntarily attend more training sessions for your personal development.
    Transportation facilities.

ConsMissing domain expert leadership of missing management group.

Fear is how most of us live daily!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Norcross, GA (US)

ProsGood benefits and some perks

ConsManagement that is so out of touch with reality and more important, it's employees. People stay for their paycheck and lack of options.
    Constant daily changes with no regard of what employees already do, and they never consult those who do the job to see if even feasible.
    Lower level employees are held accountable for all management decisions. Management is never held accountable.
    If you disagree you're fired.
    No internal advancement, they only load up staff with no opinion staffers.
    No women to upper management. Men rule at all levels.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up! Morale is in the toilet and after all these years I repairable. Don't know anyone, and I've been here 10+ years likes where they work, or would ever speak up because of daily fear drilled into us.
    I'd say listen to your employees....but trust factor left long ago, as was respect.
    Practice your own company values!

Good benefits and opportunities to advance

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Dayton, OH (US)

ProsThe people are dedicated and committed to excellence
    The bonus packages and pension plans are good, better than many of my friend's packages who work for different companies
    Diverse businesses present unique advancement opportunities

ConsPoor communication lends itself to an atmosphere where rumors are rampant
    Difficult to break into executive management internally
    Lack of cohesiveness across affiliates

Advice to Senior ManagementDo more to bring affiliates together to share learnings and best practices.
    Periodically share corporate strategy and vision to ensure the employees on the front line have a clear idea of where we're going at a corporate level and not just within their divisions.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A company in transition

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Waltham, MA (US)

ProsThe culture was stable and secure.

ConsThe company did not stir innovation.

Good Place to Learn & Good Work/Life Balance

Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsEuropean owned company - 37.5 hr work week! Good balance work/life balance....you aren't working crazy hours which can be a common expectation in the marketing field at other companies. Learning opportunities are readily available in order to promote advancement in your career. Friendly people to work with.

ConsThe salaries are a bit low.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo keep good workers, salaries need to be a bit more competitive.

Decent Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, work/life balance. Advancement can happen if you play the politics right and are ambitious. Flexibility allows for internal job switching if an opportunity comes.

ConsMy personal experience was bad because I worked for the American publishing division which was eventually sold off. The division I worked for was in sale mode for nearly four years, and that meant very little investment in technology or business expansion. Overall, the senior management seemed directionless and inaccessible. There was little or no communication between the various divisions.

okey

Project Manager (Current Employee) Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Prosownership, freedom to work compared to other competition companies,work life balance

ConsLow salaries, mangers are not transparent

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease look beyond psycophants

Reed Elsevier

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New Providence, Union, NJ (US)

ProsEditorial group was a pleasure to work with.
    Enjoyed the "family-oriented company" atmosphere.
    Company sponsored events for employees.
    On-site cafeteria.

ConsOngoing restructuring led to disorganization and confusing strategy.
    Difficulty in synching product delivery with IT.
    Unprofessional behavior from manager was never addressed by HR.

Advice to Senior ManagementMicromanaging never leads to a positive product outcome. Suggest stepping back and letting editorial staff do his/her job.

Be prepared to work on your own if you are an Intern

Intern Product Management (Current Employee) Amsterdam (Netherlands)

ProsFacilities, good IT department, international atmosphere and welcoming people. Good possibilities to enter an International career in Publishing Bizz.
    Elsevier offers you international experience and looks great on your resume. I had some mixed experience with the company but with the right team and structure you would probably learn a lot.

ConsMATRIX fixed company, not suitable for Interns with low academic background. Be more than just pro active, because their might not be any guarantee for you to have a plan.
    The HR department is not flexible so be sure you have a very clear (written) contract before you begin, to the details about what you are obligated to!

Stable, large company regarded well for its content and expertise in healthcare informatics.

Director (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsReliable, stable. Better than average benefits (health, etc.). Some opportunities for advancement. Professional, positive overall culture. Welcoming of thinkers, planners and problem-solvers.

ConsRather bureaucratic and prone to red tape. Too focused on communication via e-mail and meetings, less on actual actions and executions. Executive management very disconnected from business units under them, and more administrative and operational than able to harness strengths and able to get better depth for better results.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeek out advice from middle management and actual employees that do actual work. Clear red tape. Do away with 'design by committee' mentality. Implement small, focused teams with power (funds, resources) to innovate and build on ideas.

Worked for Reed Elsevier Group? Contribute to the Community!