Reed Elsevier Group

Reed Elsevier Group Reviews

Updated 10 November 2014
Updated 10 November 2014
3.2

Reed Elsevier Group CEO and Director; CEO, Reed Elsevier PLC, Reed Elsevier NV, Elsevier Division Erik Engstrom
Erik Engstrom

Pros
  • ownership, freedom to work compared to other competition companies,work life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Excellent benefits package, including time off for volunteer work, access to e-Learning is included (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Communication between senior management and the its' reporting teams is not always optimal (in 6 reviews)

• They are constantly outsourcing to India, Singapore or Philippines (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good career prospects

Current Employee - Finance Department in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Finance Department in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

- Global exposure
    - Diversity of work
    - Training opportunities
    - Great people
    - long-term career

Cons

- awful politics
    - terrible health insurance - just been cut back for next year
    - Continual re-organizations

One of the company's core values is "Valuing our people". You might think that you're doing a good job of this but you're not. It's the little things that matter...

great learning experience

I worked at Reed Elsevier Group (more than 8 years)

Pros

lots of stretch assignments and ability to wear lots of hats

Cons

slow to adopt change or try new ideas

Great first employer!

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Coordinator in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Coordinator in London, England (UK)

I worked at Reed Elsevier Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I had a amazing time working at Elsevier! The company offered a supportive environment, good benefits and training.

Cons

The compensation wasn't great and there didn't seem to be a lot of opportunity for advancement.

Provide more opportunities for advancement and improve pay.

Nice colleagues, Bad management

Former Employee - Accounts Receivable in Amsterdam (Netherlands)
    Former Employee - Accounts Receivable in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I worked at Reed Elsevier Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

In the Netherlands full travel expenses covers, flexible working conditions 36 hours a week. Can be a nice laid back environment at times.

Cons

Working in finance department strangely there was no budget for training, you want to grow in the department, but you need to be working there over 5/10 years for this to be possible. Young management team who are not suited for the job. Very hands off management as well. They will bug you for one week every month to see why this and that hasn't been done, then tune off for the rest of the month. Office culture very cliquey. If you are in with the higher management you will go far and be better liked.

Take notice of problems all month long, not just at reporting periods. Do your job at escalating problems accurately and chase these up with the power you have as a manager.

RE Review

Current Employee - Associate Technical Project Manager in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Technical Project Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

nothing much to talk about

Cons

Compensation, job security,

Great company to work for! It is very relaxed environment with very friendly people.

Current Employee - E-Sales Support
    Current Employee - E-Sales Support

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very friendly folks, flex time, convenient location. Great kitchen area to prepare and have lunch.

Cons

May have to stay overtime in the busy season. This may include around 4 months at the end of the year.

Add more perks. Free snacks!!!

Progressive values

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Forward looking company with a desire to embrace new technology. Collaborative environment. Excellent benefits. Mature software development processes and good infrastructure

Cons

Incentive to work hard not rewarded and many associates only put in a minimum effort as a result. Some employees are practically tenured because of patronage.

Run away if you are thinking of working here

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Miamisburg, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Miamisburg, OH (US)

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Can't think of any anymore

Cons

Lots of cons.. In IT we have a reorg at least twice per year. They are always laying people off.
    Benefits used to be good now I can't even afford my own prescriptions. I spend $500 a month on health insurance and can't afford anything for myself. I have to choose whether I'll pay for mine, my wife's or my daughter. Can't afford all 3.
    Haven't had a decent raise since 2000.
    They are constantly outsourcing to India, Singapore or Philippines.
    Many people don't even get raises. When you do get one, it's 1.5% or 2%.
    They brought in a VP for 3 years who had the task of firing as many people as possible.. He fired so many people that there weren't enough engineers around to do the work. Engineers called them the Mafia because they all had Italian names and were all from New York.
    NO direction from executive management. They don't have a clue..
    Engineers support thousands of servers and get zero in the way of gratitude.

You want those servers to keep running along? PAY YOUR ENGINEERS BETTER
    start listening to us.

A Dead end for it staff in the UK

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

"an excellent starting package with pension and medical.

Cons

The IT division RETS (reed Elsevier technology services) is almost all run from the US so the UK is treated like a poor offshoot, poor training if any causing a general de skilling of UK IT staff over time, no bonuses, a 3% cap on pay rises although 2% in more common, a promotion path that is totally unworkable leaving people undervalued.

managerial change is the norm and I personally have had 7 managers in the last 5 years, everyone knows they will be sacrificed for the bottom line regardless as to there use to the company often leading to huge gaps that need to be filled quickly, this reactive approach is not dynamic but flawed as the upper management have no technical understanding yet force decisions that later often prove to be expensive and incorrect, don't work here in the UK if you want management to respect or listen to you.

Solid global corporation, but not brilliant at career development

Current Employee - Technology in Oxford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Technology in Oxford, England (UK)

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I work in the Elsevier bit, in particular the Technology group, recently taken over by Dan Olley (2013). (Elsevier is the Science publishing group). The company used to be very bureaucratic, faceless, etc., a lot of tech talent got out-sourced. Olley looks like he's stopping this.

And the openness has been changing in the last two or three years, it's a more friendly company than it used to be. The benefits are pretty good for the sector, and the salaries at the senior end of thing are relatively attractive when you're coming into the company. There are plenty of travel opportunities - mostly, in my case, to Amsterdam, Dayton (Ohio) and Philly. Internal communications used to be unspeakably bad, but is improving.

Even if you think you know Elsevier to be a big company, the scale of it will amaze you. Ten years in, and I can still find myself in an office of 500 people without knowing a single person there, or even know what they do! Personally, I like this, but then I'm a loud-mouth.

Despite what I'm going to say in the 'cons' section, I reckon I fit in quite well at Elsevier. It's not what I expected, but it suits for personal reasons (young family, blah blah blah). Probably best for self-motived extroverts.

Cons

The Oxford (Kidlington) office is a souless hole, especially compared with Amsterdam, which is (now that it's been revamped) a far more engaging environment. If you don't get an office in Oxford from the start, you won't get one. Compared with Amsterdam, where if you had an office (almost no-one does now), you wouldn't want one. The Mendeley office in London seems like a nice place. Philly and Dayton are ... well, meh.

Ditto salaries - it will take YEARS to get any kind of promotion or rise unless you're on the management programme (and I don't think the Technology / IT group has a management / career development programme). The HR team talk a lot about recruiting talent, but very little about retaining it, or developing it (again, I can only speak to the technology group). I would recommend working here for a couple of years and then going elsewhere for career dev, and not uprooting yourself and the family for a long-term relationship.

If you're ambitious in technology, it can be frustrating place to work. There seems to be a lot of people in the business side who have tech responsibilities and I don't know how that all ties together. Maybe it'll get sorted, but it's been like that for longer than I've been there and doesn't look like it's getting there. The story seems a familiar one from Dilbert: if you're outside the company you get taken more seriously... On the upside, once your projects get funded and supported, they get delivered and supported. This is a good thing, and I've been lucky in that all my projects have been successful - this isn't rewarded financially, but it feels really good. Some poor sods seem to get all the bad luck.

The tech stack was more limited than it was - used to be MS throughout. Not so much anymore, although Oracle dominates the db side. The fulfilment systems are a hoot. Some of the ideas that come through are really exciting, which makes up for it (but you need to engage with the cool stuff, before some people get all negative about delivery), I find enthusiasm and engagement really helps deliver.

1) Have some way of identifying your technology talent and developing their careers. The management programme seems to work well in the 'business' side, why not do something similar?

2) Do something with the Oxford office. Almost anything. It's the second worst thing about the job, but it's close, it feels like a passive-aggressive library.

3) The person who runs the Amsterdam office seems to know what they're talking about. As does Olley.

Reed Elsevier Group Photos

Reed Elsevier (Photo thanks to Flickr user shinichi, Some Rights Reserved)
Reed Elsevier Headquarters