Regeneron Pharmaceuticals

Updated 20 October 2014
3.8

Regeneron Pharmaceuticals President, CEO, and Director Leonard S. Schleifer
Leonard S. Schleifer

Pros
  • Smart people, friendly atmosphere, good work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

• well work-life balance, good salary and benefits, good work environment, supportive colleagues, (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Beware and please note that the location has high cost of living (in 4 reviews)

• Upper management are in an ivory tower looking down on their peons (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Pretty good place

I have been working at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You get out of it what you put in to it

Cons

No too much to say here. It is all go.

Intense and challenging

Current Employee - Clinical Trial Manager in Tarrytown, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Clinical Trial Manager in Tarrytown, NY (US)

I have been working at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefit and close to my home

Cons

too stressful at times.

Promotion system is not ideal.

Best place to work

Current Employee - Engineering Technical Writer in Rensselaer, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Engineering Technical Writer in Rensselaer, NY (US)

I have been working at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals full-time (less than an year)

Pros

People really want to get their work done, and done right. Great company culture of integrity. Lots of leftover free food from meetings. Friendly people. Rapid growth rate.

Cons

On-boarding needs to be streamlined. The occasional mild sexual harassment case goes unreported, but this is not the norm, and seems to be concentrated in a few individuals.

Have sexual harassment refreshers periodically, please. Everything else is very positive, and should continue as-is.

Had a lot of promise but grew too quickly and can't deliver what they say.

Current Employee - Research Associate IV in Tarrytown, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Research Associate IV in Tarrytown, NY (US)

I have been working at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good ideas from many smart people. Benefits are good (same as other biotechs/pharmas I've worked).

Cons

It feels like you can't do anything without getting management approval. RAs, admins, and other support staff are just support not truly valued members.

Let us do our work. We may not have MDs, JDs, or PhDs but we actually do know things. Plan a little better and give us some guidance but don't micromanage. You don't have to yell at us to get better work just treat us as peers and listen to what we are saying.

Great Company!

I have been working at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've been working here for less than a year and the people are helpful and create a good working environment

Cons

More communication is needed but overall great company

Good technology but poor processes

Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Tarrytown, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Tarrytown, NY (US)

I have been working at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pipeline is exciting and the people are friendly.

Cons

The company processes are lacking and communication between groups is poor. The management cares more about getting products into the clinic then making processes more efficient and the lives of employees easier. The company also has an over-inflated opinion of itself and is not open to process improvement.

Encourage innovation, listen to new ideas, and facilitate rather than stifle communication. It would be nice if the company lived its stated core values (Regeneron 5) rather than the values being a running joke. It's amazing how fast we can move drugs through the pipeline but how slow we are when it comes to addressing employee concerns.

Fast Growing Company with an overall friendly attitude

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rensselaer, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rensselaer, NY (US)

I have been working at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Upwardly bound company. Information on significant decisions are shared with employees on a regular basis. Opportunity to communicate questions / concerns available to Sr. Management readily available.

Cons

Fairness is weak during review process. Must be with company 12 months before able to apply for other positions within company.

Mid-level Management should be required to take HR training and learn the skills necessary to interact and guide subordinates effectively, professionally, and fairly.

Great industry experience for coming right out of college/grad school.

Current Employee - Research Associate I in Tarrytown, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Research Associate I in Tarrytown, NY (US)

I have been working at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- The science is definitely innovative
    - Higher management puts effort in getting to know employees
    - Fast-paced environment
    - Relative ease of communication

Cons

- For the physical amount of energy put into projects/experiments, little recognition is given
    - Obvious cultural divide
    - Learning curve is expected to be met quite quickly while hitting a ceiling is just as fast
    - Lack of respect for time
    - Fast growth of company seems to be taking a hard hit in terms of program management capabilities

- For some people, talking in a different language may make it easier to communicate, but there has to be a limit (i.e. managers conversing in a different language to certain employees does not seem professional)
    - Need to spread projects better and create more realistic time frames instead of projects assigned yesterday due the day before yesterday - address respect for a person's time
    - Accountability for projects that require higher priority (i.e. group members regardless of seniority should be held accountable and held to higher expectations)

Good company to work in

Current Employee - Scientist
    Current Employee - Scientist

I have been working at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

The salaries were recently increased in the research area. The facility is nice and reasonably new.

Cons

The review system and promotions result in a lot of negativity. The point system really relates to how many years in that position rather than how well you work. The promotions are mostly done by time in the position also meaning that those that perceive themselves as hard-workers get de-motivated.

Ways to identify harder workers or those who go above and beyond would improve moral.
    A change in the promotion system is required.

Stimulating, high paced

Former Employee - Staff Scientist in Tarrytown, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Staff Scientist in Tarrytown, NY (US)

I worked at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great science, fantastic minds, strong drive

Cons

Too lean at times, planning sacrificed to feverish momentum.

Communication