Regions Financial

www.regions.com

Regions Financial Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014
Regions Financial – Birmingham – “Branch”

Regions Financial President, CEO, and Director O. B. Grayson Hall Jr.

O. B. Grayson Hall Jr.

Pros
  • Good work/life balance - manager gave me free paid (non-vacation) day off to allow me to move(in 16 reviews)

• Easy to advance in company, semi-national company (not a small town bank), good benefits(in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to believe things upper management says until actually see it happen(in 21 reviews)

• They push sales so hard that you're no longer focused on customer service(in 11 reviews)

My experience at RF has been a positive experience working with a lot of smart and talented people.

ProsVery positive environment with good incentive plan. Good benefits with 2-4 weeks vacation(max) depending on years employed and 6% contribution to 401 k.

ConsSalaries could be more competitive and you should be able to accumulate more than 4 weeks vacation

Advice to Senior ManagementEvaluate salaries and consider an off cycle for employees to get salaries in line with competition. We are loosing too many good people to competition. Competition is concerned so they are taking a lot of our good employees.

Great company with aggressive sales focus.

ProsGreat competitive pay and benefits.

ConsCertain areas are TOO aggressive.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on enjoy life.

Great corporate culture with plenty of opportunity for upward mobility.

Branch Service Leader (Current Employee) Birmingham, AL (US)

ProsRegions provides many opportunities for employees to move up the ladder, provides solid career paths, and typically helps to promote within the company. Every manager I have worked for has been fair and willing to help develop me as an employee. Rarely do I run across somebody I absolutely can't stand to work with.

ConsSometimes salary seems low for the responsibilities required in the position.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more opportunity for sales training among associates.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Miserable work environment!!!

ProsStarting base salary is reasonable and benefits are reasonable, some great staff working at the branch level

ConsFirst they get you into the company thinking it's wonderful because the mission statement and vision are all about "Doing the right thing" and "Enjoying your life" etc. You soon realize that is not what you signed up for. At least in the Texas Market that's how it is. I can't speak for our more saturated regions where they have tons of advertisments and walk in traffic. It does seem those employees seem to be happier. In Texas they give you the same goals as other states and expect you to figure out how to bring in business yourself. From Head Teller, ABM and BM they want you out of the branch cold calling and constantly making sales calls. Upper Management manages by intimidation and are completely unproffessional. Even when goals are met or exceeded there is never any appreciation. Expect to pat yourself on the back. People that continually meet goals are still treated the same as employees who do not. So where is the motivation in that? They have an annual survey that goes out to all employees and a couple years ago it tanked and upper management had to come up with an action plan. Now they practically intimidate employees and trick them into thinking the survey is just about their immediate branch and nothing about upper management so the ratings will get better. They are over the top nice the week prior and pressure each employee about scoring it "fairly and not off emotions" and then afterwards it all goes back to the same thing. The way it's set up it's not really confidential so employees worry about scoring too low even when they want to. I've worked here for several years and have seen rediculous turn around that I have never seen at any other financial institution. Yet managment doesn't bat an eye or try to figure out what is causing the mass exodus of their employees. If they were smart corporate would call past employees and find out what is going on. The incentive plans grow harder and harder to meet with your payout growing smaller. I understand that is everywhere because of the economy but at Regions it's beyond sad. I sadly had an employee on my staff who was working harder each year and getting better but was paid less each year that she worked here because the annual raises didn't compete with the lessening incentive plan. I can't think of a single employee that works at Regions bank in Texas that enjoys their job... and that is just plain sad. Some stay because they don't like change and some stay because they are nervous about the economy... but most just leave as soon as they can and if they arent gone now they are always looking for other opportunities. I've stayed too long out of personal reasons but have recently decided those reasons are not worth the stress this company puts into my life. With the backing this company has it had the potential to be better and be a great company. With the upper management they have in place that will never happen.

Working Hard = Nothing, Popularity = Everything

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company overall has good standards and seem to want to treat their employees well.

ConsThe area that I work in do not seem to care about the efforts employees put in. They have their favorites and those favorites are going to be the ones promoted. The pay is good if you are one of their favorites, if not, don't expect to be paid much more than the minimum.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would give my advice if I thought they would care to hear, but I know they don't.

Bad morale and poor management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLearned valuable info from mid-level member of the team.

ConsPoor management. Management not concerned with employees' thoughts or opinions

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about your employees

Not a big bank, which is good and bad.

Financial Services Specialist (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsSmall bank feel. Not a lot of politics in the branches. The sales goal's are manageable and not too oppressive like other places I've worked at. Management seems to understand a work life balance and the benefits are on par with the industry.

ConsTechnology is lagging in some areas. In this position you will have a lot of work to do for simple tasks. Other banks I've worked for want you to sell products, this bank wants you to sell and handle all the maintenance issues that are very time consuming. A lot of operational issues here too. You'll spend 50% of your time with clients (selling/maintenance), and the other 50% is spent submitting paperwork and pulling reports for said sales and maintenance. This bank operates similar to a bank 10 years in the past. There seems to be very little branch support in form of teller functions (deposit holds, balancing, fraud etc.). If you end up working on the teller line be careful, they are just looking for ways to fire someone for taking a deposit and not putting a hold on the checks. Branches are getting thin on staffing, but that seems to be the norm for banks now a day's, so be prepared to be on the teller line some.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet us do what we do best...sell! We spend way too much time doing operational stuff when we could be on the phone or talking to clients.

The worst branch ever

Teller (Current Employee) Memphis, TN (US)

ProsI've met great people working at regions! It has also taught me to be cautious of everyone.

ConsThe sales goals are challenging. Every week it's something new when we haven't had the time to settle in the previous goal. As tellers, we don't get the respect we deserve. They act like we're nothing. KDS scores are important but they make it seem like we aren't doing our job because of one 4!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know your employees. You guys are not superstars. You were once in our positions. We know you expect certain standards and outcomes but at least notice when we're performing well, instead of recognizing only the bad.

Regions...what a joke

Relationship Banker (Current Employee) Memphis, TN (US)

ProsSome of the best things about working in the Regions contact center (Green Line) is having the support of a great team...that's if you're lucky to get a good team leader and supervisor. Some of the daily competitions are cool and fun as well.

ConsThey push sales so hard that you're no longer focused on customer service. You need to be selling credit cards to customers. If you're not selling, you're not worth their time.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micro-managing, be available to assistance an employee if they need help instead of standing around with the irrelevant chitter chatter.

Poor mid level management. Arrogant and condescending.

Branch Manager (Current Employee) Jasper, GA (US)

ProsBenefits and 401K match. Multiple opportunities from heavy turnover.

ConsDisconnected leadership. Concerned more about how you play the games and not results.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire mid-level managers that have been on the line.

Worked for Regions Financial? Contribute to the Community!