Regis Corporation
www.regiscorp.com Minneapolis, MN 5000+ Employees

Regis Corporation Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014
Regis Corporation – Scottsdale – “Pretty Basic”

Regis Corporation CEO Daniel J. Hanrahan

Daniel J. Hanrahan

Pros:
  • "Great culture with an emphasis on work/life balance"
    in 5 reviews
  • "paid vacation, although it's minimum wage it's better than nothing"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "The lack of communication to the level 1 teams from upper management sure didn't help"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Minimum wage as a base salary with no chance of reaching a decent commission rate"
    in 16 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Used to be fun to work at, not anymore.

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

ProsInsurance benefits, you pay some of it, if you work enough hours. Flexible with schedule.

ConsCutting down on salon expenses. Hiring too many part time stylists. Have to share stations. Had 8 stylists when I started, now there's 16! Hires stylists without any knowledge of skills. Don't have cleaning crew anymore and salon looks dirty. They used to provide your tools, blow dryers, etc. Now you have to earn incentive points, which seem harder to get now. They want to focus on how many people you can get in and get out instead of focusing on your service sales. Don't get retail commission if your under $300 for the month. Just not fun anymore. Lacking teamwork. After more than 10 years I am looking for new salon to work at.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat stylists with more respect, fairness, and recognition. Top stylists are always the first to leave.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Struggling Company Trying to Turn Things Around

Inventory Manager (Current Employee)
Edina, MN (US)

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsRegis is a fine company that has become bloated over the years with greatly increased costs. The company has recently changed the vast majority of senior management that appears to be trying to right the ship. Unfortunately we have not yet seen this turnaround, but the outlook seems to be more hopeful.
-Great culture with an emphasis on work/life balance.
-Very friendly employees.
-Room to advance, but requires a lot of self-motivation.

Cons-Struggling company means low benefits.
-Old systems cause constant issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of silly stuff like free food and increase salaries to attract new talent.

Incentives Do Not Countermand Dodgy Ethics and Employee Relations

Stylist (Former Employee)
Castle Rock, CO (US)

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGenerally friendly staff in most locations

Middle and lower management typically very accommodating

First year stylists will easily build interpersonal communication skills

Monthly contests render decent prizes and participation incentives

Price point dictates constant demand despite any economic shifts

ConsNear-minimum wage to start and little to no chance of increased remuneration.

While friendly, staff does not subvert the industry tendency toward the immature and unmotivated.

Internalized education is geared toward high volume, low quality production trains stylists to develop very poor techniques within their craft.

Lower management is too busy with a high volume of patrons to complete basic duties.

Middle management is severely limited in power by upper management restrictions and lack of lower management accountability.

Upper management is rarely present on location and can typically by contacted only within a narrow time window and by middle management.

Payroll and HR can only be reached by middle managers, all issues called in to payroll and HR by regular employees are redirected back through middle management or ignored.

Scheduling is very haphazard; shifts are assigned randomly week by week. Seven to nine day streaks are not atypical. New scheduling optimization creates split shifts that span up to twelve hours.

Work week is defined as Monday through Sunday so, for example, working nine days straight from Wednesday through Thursday typically will yield no overtime compensation.

Legally mandated lunch breaks were rarely able to be taken and, when taken were continuously interrupted. Co-workers and middle management pressure one another constantly to not take said breaks.

No upward mobility. Almost all positions above lower management and staff education are filled permanently or are not filled from within the company.

Resigned voluntarily with three weeks' notice and vacation pay was not received with final paycheck on the next payday per Colorado law. After a second payday passed, contacted middle management and found that termination papers had still not yet been filed a month after the last day worked. Still unpaid, I'm told it will be another 15 days before the check is deposited.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow lower management more time off the salon floor to complete paperwork, deal with internal affairs, and resolve customer relation issues.

Trust middle management's efficacy more, and promote from within. Current upper management tends to be little more than an obstacle.

Disorganized, judgmental, unintelligent people running the show

District Leader (Current Employee)

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIf you are lucky enough to have a great manager/supervisor/boss, you have a real opportunity to succeed.. for a while

-Marketing materials, Educational tools, business building all provided for you
-Some salons are in great locations, making building a clientele easy.
-Variety of products available for use.
-Training on many, many techniques and products you would have to pay for elsewhere.
-You really have all tools available at your disposal

ConsThis company seems to allow, and promote, managers and supervisors into positions solely based on company tenure.

-Low/Average pay for the work you are asked to do.
-No "REAL" HR dept. Don't expect to be able to talk to anyone about legitimate concerns. (including racist/anti-gay comments made by upper mgt. You will be ignored.)
-No communication across company. The left arm doesn't know what the right arm is doing.
-Upper mgt is a joke. Told one thing, shown another, asked a third.
-Expect to provide high end experience with low end capital. (Then, have NO IDEA why you are losing guests so quickly. Combine that with a crappy employee experience, which leads to a crappy guest experience, and you have no reason to stay.. as a guest or employee)
-The company seems to have the right idea, with NO CLUE how to execute.

Seriously, this company needs to pay more for better quality people, at least in field leadership. Having leadership that knows how to add and subtract may be a good start.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay closer attention to who your field teams are. Stop making emotionally charged decisions. A small bump in pay would help attract some better (SMARTER) employees. I really believe(d) in this company, until I saw who was being allowed to run the gamut.

Great beginning, bad Ending

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThere was once a mile long list of "pro's". The only one I can think of now, are some of the people who are still around.

ConsNew CEO and board. Too much concentration on the money. The company lost what was great, the feeling of being a part of a family.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe people behind the chair are the money makers and yet they are treated the worst. They are overworked and under paid. You can't attract great talent, because they won't work for the pay or conditions offered. There is no incentive to do better or to stick around. It's sad. Regis was once a great company, now it's just a joke to most hairdressers.

bad company to work for real bad bad

New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Regis Corporation part-time for less than a year

Prosnone only the cutting classes bad company

Consbad power trip managers and bad bad company losers

Advice to Senior Managementonly out to make us sale sale sale bad people

Upper management is a joke.

Hair Stylist (Former Employee)
Princeton, NJ (US)

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people in the lawrenceville/ princeton nj location are great, large amount of staff, tons of walk ins, able to transfer when moving and not having to look for a new job, good way to build a local clientele, fast paced.

Consterrible base pay, terrible insurance, NO HR DEPARTMENT, clueless payroll department, upper management doesn't care, they pretty much own every chain hair establishment short of the hair cuttery.

Advice to Senior ManagementI wish the head of the company would see how evil some of their district managers are, and how they abuse their power.

Unite

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Regis Corporation

ProsIf you are fresh out of cosmetology school and the ink just dried on your license, this is a great place to hone your skills. Then you can take the skills you honed and go somewhere else to make a decent living. Along the way you will work next to some really kind stylists, build some clientele consisting of kind, decent customers.

ConsLow/no staff, unstable hours/schedule, unlivable wages, run down salons, lack of customers, CEO and board members making too much money, horrible reputation as a company making it extremely difficult to get talented stylists to work for us. If they are talented and hire in, they will leave quicker than you can blink. This is a despicable company and it will soon be out of business.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should count your blessings that your smartstyle employees haven't joined the Walmart employees to organize a union for livable wages. Or joined the fast food strikes calling for a higher livable wage. A common argument against the fast food strikes is that the fast food workers are not qualified to make $15 an hour since they perform unskilled work. Well, your stylists are licensed professionals who make LESS than fast food workers. Therefore they have more reason to strike/unite for higher livable wages, right?

Corporate is run by people who are not stylist and have no clue

Hairstylist (Current Employee)
Mira Loma, CA (US)

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Prosi realy cant think of a pro. Ive had nothing but issues with this company since i started there. Thats why they have a high turnover with stylist. If you can sell thousands of dollars a month in extra services and retail you will do fine here. They will value you if you can achieve the ridiculous goals they set for your salon. They will even tolerate you stealing and altering your timecard as long as you can sell sell sell for them. But if your an honest person trying to do the right thing you are not valued at all. There mission statement is a joke because they dont follow it.

ConsPay rate is horrible and commission is a joke. I advised those that are stylist to stay away. Nine out of ten stylists are miserable there.

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow what your talking about before you advise your stylist. District leaders should be there to help the stylists not yell at them.

Low Pay For Stylists, Overworked, Can't make ends meet

Philadelphia, PA (US)

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time for more than a year

ProsLaid Back environment, nice co workers, easy going management, love doing hair, nice salon atmosphere, holidays off

ConsHorrible pay rate, no training, overworked and WAY underpaid ( I averaged 450$ a MONTH ), their maximum "full time" hours are only 20 hours a week, hated the color line

Advice to Senior Managementcompensate your stylists better

Worked for Regis Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Regis Corporation reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Regis Corporation CEO Daniel J. Hanrahan. All 182 reviews are posted anonymously by Regis Corporation employees.