Regis Corporation

Updated 25 November 2014
2.2

Regis Corporation CEO Daniel J. Hanrahan
Daniel J. Hanrahan

Pros
  • Great culture with an emphasis on work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Great place for a new graduate out of cosmetology to start (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • I dislike making minimum wage or commission whichever is higher (in 23 reviews)

• No one in upper management besides my DL could be bothered to care (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

stylist

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Harlingen, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Harlingen, TX (US)

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

i got hired without qualifications.

Cons

i was discriminated against due to my orientation. i was held back from additional training ( all of which were dvds) and was not made eligible from promotions to eyebrow specialist etc.. because they did not think i was good enough to be promoted... but i was good enough to be hired... not understanding that, and when i went to look for other jobs in other salons i was talked about in a way that i was not able to get those jobs.

you let the salon managers get away with treating employees any which way they like to ... and favoritism is overt... if you want to promote your salon the way you do in your training dvds you need to start cleaning up the mess that is happening in the smaller salons... seriously. i live in a small town, and people talk. the reason that the salon is not doing well in our area is becuase of the way your hairstylists conduct themselves in your salons and out of your salons.

Love the people, not too crazy about the pay.

Current Employee - Receptionist in Florence, KY (US)
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Florence, KY (US)

I have been working at Regis Corporation part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love my job because of the awesome people I get to work with - stylists and clients included. I enjoy interacting with the various people that enter the salon. I always tell people that there is never a dull moment. I laugh a lot here, but you really need to find things to laugh about. I believe that it is really how you approach the job that will effect your affinity for it. It is definitely not for everyone.

Cons

Wherever there are people present, problems are bound to arise. Dealing with the public can be tiresome at times. It wears on you after a while. The pay is not that great either. I've worked at Regis for 3 years, and have never had a raise.

You really need to look into the needs of your employees before you turn your attention to the customers.

No leadership. No strategy. No soul.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ulaanbaatar (Mongolia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ulaanbaatar (Mongolia)

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I started positive and hopeful but HQ leadership is so toxic, smug, smarter than everyone in the room, uses up all the oxygen on meetings - it dries up your ideas, drive and inspiration.

Cons

All decision making like customer recovery, compensation and pricing is pushed up so high and oversimplified to single solution that company is not competitive or in touch with front line. This is destructive and will destroy the business.

Board, CEO and C level are beginners (most first time at top level) with no multi-unit retail experience. It's not a cruise line. Get a real strategy instead of your low impact tactics (evidence - stock price over 2+ years) stop pretending there is only one brand and you can build 5000 Supercuts without destroying the business and bleeding poor unsuspecting Franchisees. Try the heavy lifting of creating a real strategy that leverages the company's competitive advantage and only distinct feature - locations and penetration. Stop blaming and firing people who don't agree with you and look in the mirror. Try some modern leadership instead of your archaic command and control methods.

Worst company Ever!

I worked at Regis Corporation

Pros

None what so ever! Beware.

Cons

Too many to list. Unprofessional, no room for improvement, etc.

Manager and Educator

Former Employee - Salon Manager and Educator in Castle Rock, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Salon Manager and Educator in Castle Rock, CO (US)

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Anything that was beneficial about working for this company changed almost immediately after being corporately owned. I wish I could say that there was something good about the company. The only positive experience was the people I worked with.

Cons

-Money. It was impossible to get a raise for staff or as management. There are stylists working that are top 5 in their district in sales, have worked there for 4 or more years, still making $9 an hour. 5 years ago the median pay for a hairdresser nationwide was almost $10,000 a year more than what it is now. Regis being the largest corporation in the industry, employing 10,000+ people, is almost single handedly ruining our industry standards for pay. Hair is no longer a viable career option for young people. Especially when they are paying 12,000-30,000 for school. I feel that Regis plays a very large part in that.

-Recognition. As a salon manager and lead educator, I got little to no recognition for my accomplishments within the company from anyone besides the staff and my DL. It is a fact that most employees appreciate non monetary recognition more so than money. Being that we made no money, some sort of recognition for your hard work is needed. I took a salon from 14th in the district to 2nd overall and held there for nearly 2 years. Not only could I not get a raise, I got absolutely no recognition from anyone above my DL. The absolute only motivation for succeeding was myself, and seeing my name on the top of the list. Otherwise there was no reason to excel. No one in upper management besides my DL could be bothered to care. It was also impossible to get things for my salon. A coat rack, the lighting replaced. I had to do these things myself. My DL was amazing and super supportive, but there was only so much she could do.

-Education. It became nearly impossible to provide the proper education for the region. We were having class in a back room of a salon, without access to proper equipment. We had almost no support with upper management to get more educators for our area. There was no budget for supplies for several years with most of the cost coming out of my own pocket for classes. I am not exaggerating when I say that more than half the time, I was paying more to put the class together than I got to teach it. Which I had no problem doing because I loved it, but I could only wish that corporate would do the same. There was also no real organization for our Design Team, with partial duties falling on my DL and her getting no support from upper management. We could not get class clandars approved for months at a time. We only had 2 educators for our area, so we could only offer the most basic classes. They certified 20 new educators in module 1, but then took over a year to certify them again. So with 20 new educators getting no answers or support, now they only have 3 left. 20 opportunities to build and grow, left in the dust for a year. That's a year that we could have been offering more than just the basic classes to our staff. They could have become more than just the basic hairdresser in that year. It became impossible to watch those opportunities go down the drain.

Regis, you are failing Business 101. You are hiring people in and paying them below the poverty line. You do not offer any raises or even praise for hard work. You are educating your stylists in a salon back room. The strength of a company comes from it's employees. You are not supporting them, and expecting them to still support you. You are expecting all staff to immediately get on board with 100 new changes, trying to save a sinking ship, but you refuse to get on board with them. I no longer believe that the corporate model works for this industry. Unless the corporation pulls it together, and starts treating their employees right so they can keep good stylists in their salon, I believe the whole company will go under.

I am a stylist for a MasterCuts

Current Employee - Hair Stylist
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

all the stylists I work for are very nice

Cons

Little pay, Don't expect tips to be great...Most of the GUESTS (as we're told to call them), don't want to pay $3 extra dollars for a shampoo,so do you think the tip is gonna be good if any! I agree with what others say about benefits too.
    Way too expensive & unless you end up with a major surgery bill. It's not worth it.
    We don't work 40 hrs. as so as it is,and now our hrs. have been getting cut! Everyone always had to work on Saturdays...Now we're getting asked,"Who wants one off"?
    Sounds to me that the place is sinking!

The stylists are the ones that are making your money...pay them more...we need a boost. Give out raises. That sliding pay scale isn't enough. Coupons & discounts are fine for the GUESTS...,but it sucks for us, We should get the credit for the full price of the service,not for the price with the discount. So you give to the Guests & take away from us!!

Underappreciated

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Windsor, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Windsor, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Employees & manager are awsome. Busy location. Nice people.

Cons

3 lights burnt out ( since may), shop needs to be remodeled, outdated, computer VERY slow, Regis wont even let us take a dollar from the til to get a new garbage can, not enough supplies for everyone, not enough pay for stylists, were not students/children/receptionist/electricians/computer technicians. Were hairstylist. We are there to cut hair NOT write down numbers for a WIG board, and to get people's emails/phone numbers. Guests want to come in, get a 10-15mins haircut and leave.NOBODY wants to give out personal information just to get a haircut. Not enough staff on the floor. Loosing money because we have to work alone and guests dont want to wait. cant have any personal photos on the wall or mirors, Not able to book appointments for alot of services. Employees very underappreciated. Been with Regis for 8 years & never had a raise. Thats not right. REGIS needs to educate themselves on taking care of thier employees and guests. They will just continue to loose business if not. Which is a shame because a few of us have alot of customers who would leave if we did. Maybe someone from head office should work in the shop and do 20 guest in a 6hour shift, clean, write down wig numbers, keep track of how many guest u used product on, keep track of how many emails you got & then tell us we don't deserve more money & appreciation. NOT a fun place to work.

Maybe someone from head office should work in the shop and do 20 guest in a 6hour shift, clean, write down wig numbers, keep track of how many guest u used product on, keep track of how many emails you got & then tell us we don't deserve more money & appreciation. And get OUR LIGHTS FIXED. Its pretty hard to cut hair in the dark!!!!!!

They are trying to fix it

Current Employee - Salon Leader in Elizabethtown, KY (US)
    Current Employee - Salon Leader in Elizabethtown, KY (US)

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They offer steady walkin clients. Perfect place to start in either straight out of school or new city. Easy to move up into management if that's what you want. Nice bonuses for managers and decent not great pay. They offer lots of great training for all stylists if you take advantage and have a manager that wants all stylists to succeed.

Cons

Stylist level pay is horrible to begin with. You have to be there several years or come in fill of experience to get decent commission. Salon managers don't really have any authority in their salons so I don't really know why they have them in there. They like to have a salon fill of stylists even if none of them are on commission because they think they are missing money by not having enough people working...... You need to take care of the stylists you have first!

Let the managers manage their salons! We are the ones who are in there on a daily basis and know what's best for out salons. Also, this WIG idea may be helpful to new stylists just learning the business but it feels like kindergarten to some of us.

Bad at the end

Former Employee - Manager in Saint Marys, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Saint Marys, PA (US)

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

None, since they made so many changes.

Cons

No challenges, don't expect to have a life, not loyal to you, you are just a number

Regis went downhill when they hired the new CEO, and got rid of the other one. You want to cut your expenses, then start with all of the bosses, you don't need 4 bosses over a manager. Why, because a manager can do it all, which they already do. Customers should not be called guests, why, because guests that visit you do not pay. Your conference calls done wkly and monthly meetings are a waste of time to a manager when they hear the same old same topic every time, moving forward . You take them off the floor to go to these meetings, when they are making you money by doing services. When we decide to quit because we had enough, your not only losing employees, your losing there relations, and there friends that use to go to the salons where they worked at. We are talking about there relations and all of there friends that live in different states as well. So much for your MOT, and don't expect when you throw all of your different store brands together as one group, that they will get along because they won't , we are all trying to make enough money to just survive.

Came in on fire and now just sparking.

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Collierville, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Collierville, TN (US)

I have been working at Regis Corporation part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people I work with and my regular clients.

Cons

Minimum wage in Tn. is $7.25 an hour so that is all i make. Other states have a higher minimum wage but Regis does not pay fairly across the board. Also the salon I work in is in desperate need of updating, fixing, and a major overhaul.
    The company is not very clear about their commission rates, education is not good at all, and too much emphasis is placed on retail sales. Forget about benefits, you will never work enough hours to ever have any.

$12 an hour straight across the board and you would have a booming business. Better education than just sending a DVD for the employees to watch in a cramped back room.

Regis Corporation Photos