Reliant Energy
www.reliant.com Houston, TX 5000+ Employees

Reliant Energy Reviews

Updated Mar 11, 2014
Reliant Energy – Paralākhemundi – “132/33Kv S/S paralakehmundi”

Elizabeth Killinger

Great Work Environment

Senior Information Architect (Current Employee)

I have been working at Reliant Energy as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsWork life balance is amazing and initial pay as a contractor is ideal

ConsConversion to perm is a lower salary than expected but bonus structure is large

Contractor

I worked at Reliant Energy as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGreat location, decent pay, comfortable workspaces

ConsNo love for contractors, who are not always treated the best way.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore openness

Work Experience

Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Reliant Energy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThis is one of the best electric utility company to work in USA. They are well organised and work with all forms of business in the energy industry. They have a certain standard and you can notice while working with the company. This is a definite recommendation if you have dreams to move to energy sector.

ConsThere are none so far.

Inexperienced leaders. Too focused on operations vs. driving more business

I worked at Reliant Energy full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPays well. Benefits are okay. People are mostly nice.

ConsLeadership is like-minded and has been working together for over 10 years. No upward mobility unless you've been at the company for many years. Can't trust leadership to do what's right. Business is not growing and they will have to be in cost-cutting mode for the foreseeable future. No real strategy for the future.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook outside of the building and see how other companies compete for business. Bring in outside leaders with experience in marketing and driving subscription type services.

The employees who are the greatest asst to this company.

Key Segment Servicess II - CSA Department (Former Employee)

I worked at Reliant Energy full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe employees who work as a team, the profession manner that is expected, the corporate values, the possibility to try new departments in the company. We had a high turn over of supervisor in our department. When a new supervisor came to our group, all people would do their best to bring management up to speed.

ConsJob security: Reliant Energy was on the verge of bankruptsy. NRG bought our company and before the ink was dried on the contracts, Exelon tried to buy out Nrg. NRG recently purchased Green Mountain. Due to the merger with Green Mountain and Reliant, there were many employees laid off. I did not like how the lay off process was handled from human resource Department. A false hood regarding unemployment was given to each person that was laid off, The lack of integrity from NRG, lessened my respect for this company to some extent.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe success of a company hinges on the success of the employees. Please lead by example that there has to be highest level of integrity. Employees follow the lead of management. Employees do see a person of integrity as a person to follow and attempt to emulate..

I love the people I work with!

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Reliant Energy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe people are awesome to work with. Great environment with many challenges if you're will to take them on.

ConsRecently acquired by NRG who is continuing to acquire more companies and have seen some layoffs over the past year as a result of the growth.

ANALYST

I worked at Reliant Energy

ProsPay industry standards, large, stable parent company

ConsPoor upper management, Tough work environment and work culture

Advice to Senior Managementfocus on employee development, clear long term business plan

Tiring

Business Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Reliant Energy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNothing good to talk about here

ConsVery Stingy company, and very hard on feedback review

sad - safe yourself a headache

Special Projects Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Reliant Energy as a contractor for less than a year

ProsThere is nothing good about this place.

ConsThe managers, supervisors, coaches, and team leaders are all political. If they don't like you, they will get rid of you. All I can say is please do not waste your time working for this company. They will keep you in the same position for years and not offer you a promotion if they don't like you. I was one of the top salespersons here at this company. I went to luncheons, I won prizes, and all of my co-workers marveled at my performance, and when I moved to my new department my work was often structured, hidden, or deleted. I complained about it to my coach, and her reply was, "What do you want me to do?" My work badge to gain access into the building was deactivated more than once prior to my knowledge causing me to be locked in a hot stinky stairwell. I had to walk up like 5 flights of stairs to gain access back to my floor. By this time, I was sweaty and frustrated. Then, I would get back to my work station and receive an email saying that my badge was deactivated after the fact. When I told my coach that my badge was deactivated causing me wackiness to my morning, she laughed. On top of it all, they will find reasons to not pay you your incentive checks. On my last day of working there, after my supervisor told me I wasn't getting my incentive, she laughed hysterically all morning until the lady from Primary came and escorted me out of the building. I asked her why I was being let go, she said, unprofessionalism. When I applied for unemployment benefits, Reliant had told the unemployment people that I caused a scene, cursed out loud, and that's why they fired me. This is a bold face stupid lie. I didn't curse anyone out or use profanity. Not only will they lie to get what they want, but they will make up stories to hinder you from getting unemployment. Do not waste your time with these jokers. They will make your life a living hell. I constantly suffered from higher blood pressure than normal while working here and they only want to pay you pennies.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe upfront and straight up with your employees. Lies are dangerous and could potentially make a situation worse. Treat everyone the same. If you are going to give one employee VRH(voluntary reduced hours) to prevent them from getting attendance points, do it for the next one. Listen! Listen! Listen! Lies are no way to solve an issue.

Reliant Energy job experience review

Ops Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Reliant Energy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBig well known company. Lots of diff opportunity

ConsNo work life balance for employees

Advice to Senior ManagementDo better

Worked for Reliant Energy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Reliant Energy reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Reliant Energy CEO Elizabeth Killinger. All 24 reviews are posted anonymously by Reliant Energy employees.