Rent-A-Center

Updated 18 September 2014
2.5

Rent-A-Center CEO Robert D. Davis
Robert D. Davis

Pros
  • stable company good pay don't enjoy to go to work but i like my job (in 40 reviews)

• Pretty decent pay considering you need no experience (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance due to the 50 hour work week schedule (in 34 reviews)

• Long hours, the whole concept scams low income people andshould be illegal (in 81 reviews)

More Highlights

Good job

I have been working at Rent-A-Center

Pros

Pay is good and lots of opportunity for growth!

Cons

Hours/ working 6 days a week

Great Place to learn.

Former Employee - District Manager
    Former Employee - District Manager

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I learned the business both what to do and what not to do.

Cons

Out of touch upper management will continue to force the company to struggle when it shouldn't have to.

Now that I own my own RTO business I would say keep doing what you are doing and my business will continue to grow.

Good honest company

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Covington, LA (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Covington, LA (US)

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I see lots of promotions from within that are merit based, and Store Managers have the autonomy to grow the business and profitability of their stores, which increases bonus dollars. Their employee purchase program is a nice perk, where Coworkers can purchase brand new merchandise at cost.

Cons

Long shift hours, no consecutive days off, hard sometimes to deal with the customer base, which is, to put it mildly, the lower to lowest tier of the educational and socio economic ladder.

Better balance of quality of life; occasional weekend off would go a LONG way.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great place to work with excellent pay and benefits

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  New Philadelphia, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in New Philadelphia, OH (US)

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good entry-level start out pay with paid holidays. Sundays off. There is plenty of room for advancement and/or promotion.

Cons

Not a real "family friendly" company, the minimum 48+ hours a week leaves very little time for family. You sometimes fell like you are harassing customers because of the requirement to call them on the day they are due.

customers are NOT a 5.9/2.9! They have names and familys that deserve respect.

What have you done for me now.

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Duarte, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Duarte, CA (US)

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The money is good but that's just because you have to work 55 hours a week. Including Saturdays. They tell you that you'll have holidays off but u just end up working on your normal day off to get the holiday off. So in reality you don't have a holiday off you just switch your days off so they don't have to pay you holiday pay.

Cons

Doesn't matter what you did yesterday you will be judged on a daily basis. I won all kinds of competitions, had the best numbers practically all the time, got a letter from the president telling me what a great job I did in sales and if i had low sales or high credit any weekend my job would be threatened. I ended up getting fired for not filing files away properly after 9 years of giving it 100 percent thats what did me in. Even though I had a guy quit someone on vacation and 1 new hire on a 5 person squad thats what they decided to focus on that day. The place is a joke if you aren't prepared to brown nose to your boss, or if you have any sort of pride or dignity. This is not the place for you. Do yourself a favor and avoid this place at all costs and thank me later.

Stop hiring immature, prideful, vindictive district managers. Especially if they have enough power to end someones career over there own agendas. You have know idea what kind of talent your losing and how much your company is suffering because of these idiots. I have no problem showing you proof if you need it. My store went from 700 bor to 390 bor the 6 months after I was let go. Thats after it took me 2 years to get it from 400 to 700. Are filing files really that important to cost you that much money.

Just horrible

Former Employee - Customer Account Representative  in  Virginia Beach, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Account Representative in Virginia Beach, VA (US)

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time for less than a year

Pros

Hours were ok and pay was good

Cons

None of the managers did ANY work at ALL only the cars did ALL the calls ALL the runs ALL the deliveries it was ridiculous

Have your managers do something besides sit on their butt all dagon day

management

Former Employee - Senior Tax Specialist  in  West Orange, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Tax Specialist in West Orange, NJ (US)

I worked at Rent-A-Center as a contractor for more than 8 years

Pros

excellent work environment and compensation

Cons

seasonal job wish the job was yearlong

Terrible

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Rent-A-Center

Pros

Money is ok benefits are ok no time to spend with your family low pay for what is expected

Cons

No work life balance district managers and regional directors are out of touch working with intimidation and fear tactics daily .

Promote from within actually talk to your people that want to advance , take some control away from the rd don't need to work off of fear

customer account rep

I have been working at Rent-A-Center

Pros

It is a laid back job.

Cons

Horrible hours and horrible management.

Consistent inconsistent direction, leadership, and expectations in the last couple of years,.

Former Employee - Regional Director of Operations
    Former Employee - Regional Director of Operations

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Compensations was very good, if you were on the old pay scale.

Cons

Work life balance was horrible. Weekends off were unheard of and almost anti religious in this environment. Expectations for field level and district level employees was unattainable.
    We were told of great and exiting upcoming things, which all to often never materialized, despite informing out team members and clients. Constant back peddling and re justifying company direction.

Would not recommend. Study the stocks, the expectations, and extreme changes going on in their home office and executive levels.

Worked for Rent-A-Center? Contribute to the Community!