Rent-A-Center Reviews

Updated 25 August 2014

2.5

Rent-A-Center CEO Robert D. Davis
Robert D. Davis

Pros
  • stable company good pay don't enjoy to go to work but i like my job (in 40 reviews)

• Pretty decent pay considering you need no experience (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance due to the 50 hour work week schedule (in 34 reviews)

• Long hours, the whole concept scams low income people andshould be illegal (in 81 reviews)

More Highlights

Stockholm syndrome. (Assistant Manager, former COE Store Manager)

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great experience with customer service, guaranteed overtime (where the real bacon was brought home) and an excellent employee purchase program. You will learn to hone your skills in entry consumer sales, merchandise service and resolution of customer discrepancies.

Cons

Store level business focus is no longer about matching the merchandise to the customer, but about how high you can raise your APU (average price per unit). This company used to truly create an atmosphere where the merchandise would sell itself as ground breaking and cutting edge, where as now you focus on how deep can you get into the customer's pocket while selling the American dream.

At times where there was actual potential for a life long career with visions of long term goals, the mantra now states, "what can you do for me today". Bipolar management makes you unsure as far as what your goal is for the day, until you get the emails from the regional director and the additional snippet from the district manager who directly correlate numbers and effort together. Imagine the " if wishes were fishes " mentality.

They have recently cut hours across the hourly board in the name of "more time with the family" when in fact your stock has dropped off the charts and we needed to save ≈$21M. I can live with the cut but don't tell me an orange is an apple by shaving a half hour of each morning and cutting meal period in half.

When they say RAC is your life's work, they mean it. The only guaranteed off day is Sunday on account of the storefronts being closed (for now). You get the feeling of compassion for those who even attempt to blacklist you to start here (is. Stockholm Syndrome)

Legitimate interpersonal leaders are a must in this industry and Ernie Talley is rolling in his grave at the management and (lack of) true leadership in the districts and regions across the company. Make a long term relationship with your employees by considering some intangibles (employee development for starters) before promoting to District Manager and above. Don't falter at one days hiccup but rather try not to deviate from long term goals over losing 3 bor on a Wednesday, per se.

Consistent inconsistent direction, leadership, and expectations in the last couple of years,.

Former Employee - Regional Director of Operations
    Former Employee - Regional Director of Operations

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Compensations was very good, if you were on the old pay scale.

Cons

Work life balance was horrible. Weekends off were unheard of and almost anti religious in this environment. Expectations for field level and district level employees was unattainable.
    We were told of great and exiting upcoming things, which all to often never materialized, despite informing out team members and clients. Constant back peddling and re justifying company direction.

Would not recommend. Study the stocks, the expectations, and extreme changes going on in their home office and executive levels.

BULL!!!

Current Employee - Lead Assistant Manager  in  Augusta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Lead Assistant Manager in Augusta, GA (US)

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Employee purchase after 6 months if you can put up with the bull!!!

Cons

I received a $.25 raise but got my hours cut by 3 from 50 to 47. I am still losing about 47.00 a week in pay becuse the company has standards that are ridiculous.

Stop trying to rent to just anyone. The verification process is not enough. I cannot make grown people pay their bill. If they don't pay pick it up. you cannot expect that all stores will be in compliance with your credit system. Some people come into the store with the intent to steal. Get a better system of verification, and you will have better customers. Lower your prices and you will have even more customers. Stop preying on the poor and giving your employees less then 1/16% of your gross revenue to make a business run.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

they dont really care

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Ogden, UT (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Ogden, UT (US)

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

you have work everyday of he year

Cons

long hours not enough pay

some of your dm's don't really give a crap about their managers they ask them to do things that they know are not right, and when the crap hits the fan they turn the other way and act like they had no idea? you have lost a lot of good managers because of this! they are in it for themselves only,a paycheck they only pretend to care. Just look at the stores that have lost good managers and see what happened to the BOR after they were gone - look at that stat and you wont wonder what is going on?

Business Management 101 ( Get Paid to Learn)

Current Employee - Customer Account Manager  in  Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Account Manager in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

The work is diverse and rewarding. The training you receive is an invaluable resource that will help you succeed for the rest of your career in any business. Stores average 5 to 7 employees so the atmosphere is like having a second family. It's all around awesome.

Cons

Not very flexible with time off. The needs of the company seem to come before the needs of the employees sometimes. And count on working Saturdays

Give the little guys more incentive to be the best. The store managers have something to compete for, but the success of any store is without a doubt a team accomplishment.

It's a Numbers Game and you have to be "IN" with your Boss

Current Employee - District Manager  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - District Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are good, You get to know your customer VERY WELL!!! Your Employees Can be a Blast!

Cons

Company is not living is Motto at all. Communication is a lack thereof. Expect not to see your Family! Seriously!!! With the Exception of Sunday!!!

Instead of Barking Rules, get down and Dirty! Especially the RD's & VP's who havent ran a Store in 5-8 Plus years! Things have Changed, they are not how they used to be. Have an open ear and listen to your employees at times.

Not for a family oriented person

I worked at Rent-A-Center

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Not much else.

Cons

Hours are horrible, upper management have no understanding or empathy of store environment.

The horror.....the horror

Former Employee - Customer Account Representative  in  Brewer, ME (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Account Representative in Brewer, ME (US)

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

When I worked there the health insurance benefits were fantastic! It figured out to about $30 a week pre-tax for just me and that covered everything including dental and vision. Some of the customers were great to deliver to and interact with on a weekly basis.

Cons

Many stores promote based on whether or not they like you in a particular role. I was stuck as a collections manager for the entire time I worked there. It was horrible, I had to be in every morning at 8 a.m. and usually didn't go home until 8 at night or later. 5.9/4.9 (1-6 day past due and 7 days plus past due) or 9 p.m. closeout was always stressed, but the only people stuck working until 9 p.m. on a Saturday night for not hitting the number was the collections manager (me) and my delivery guy who would have to go out and repo items from people's houses only to go out and re-deliver them on Monday morning when they could pay. Also did I mention that the majority of the homes you go in to are absolutely filthy? There were many a times we would come back from a house and be told to go home and change or to bring an extra set of work clothes with us so we could go to the local truck stop and shower and come back to work. I was stuck in an entry level position for 3 years because I chose to work hard and other people continually took credit for my work and got promoted over me. I think the worst part though was when I turned in my two week notice my boss took my keys from me and told me to get the bleep out of his store. Then he told the home office that I quit.

Promote people based on merit and worth and not because they've got their lips firmly planted on the backside of upper managers. Don't get too uptight on the 5.9 or 9 rule. Many customers hit a temporary snag and they have sunk a TON of money in to items that they won't have any ownership on at all until they pay it off. And most typically if someone takes an item out for the whole length of the rental period they will have paid on average 4.5 times what the product sells for on the market.

RAC

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time

Pros

Good health insurance and other benefits

Cons

No loyalty by upper management to employees

Fun progressing company growing from mid-size to large

Current Employee - Director IT  in  Plano, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Director IT in Plano, TX (US)

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work Life Balance, Commitment to core company values of respect and servant leadership, opportunity to learn new technologies. Constantly seeking new lines of business to grow.

Cons

Relies too much on People, not enough on Process & Technology to accomplish goals. Growing pains.

Exciting times...lead us to success!

Worked for Rent-A-Center? Contribute to the Community!