Republic Services
www.republicservices.com Phoenix, AZ 5000+ Employees

Republic Services Reviews

Updated Apr 18, 2014
Republic Services – Arlington – “Dallas Coyboys Stadium”

Republic Services President, CEO, and Director Donald W. (Don) Slager

Donald W. (Don) Slager

Pros:
  • "Good pay, good benefits, 401k w/ percentage company match"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Big company, great benefits, promote from within, try to develop talent"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "Co-workers were scared of upper management, they were afraid they would get fired at anytime"
    in 6 reviews
  • "They merged with Allied Waste and changed the company culture"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Not a Sales company.... Very operations focused

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Republic Services full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAs a current Sales Representative the pros are flexible schedule and opportunities to meet people in all types of businesses.

ConsVery recent changes to commision policy make it impossible to meet monthly quota. The changes have reduced the average sales income by 30%. Sales staff have zero opportunity to be promoted. The company is completely focused on operations and cutting expendutures rather than being creative and growing the business.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want a professional company allow your sales people to be professional sales people and compensate accordingly.

Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Republic Services full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat cross functional collaboration with field teams

ConsCorporate has very little engagement with business

Too much of a bad thing

Residential Driver (Former Employee)
Hudson, FL (US)

I worked at Republic Services full-time for more than a year

ProsSteady work, benefits. Weekly pay.

ConsBelow minimum wage overtime pay. Day rate pay. No advancement without connections. Up to 16 hour days. Every promise broken or never achieved. Revolving door job adding to the "steady work" comment above. Company does not take responsibility for anything and they don't back up any employees below management. Can and will terminate you on the spot to save any trouble.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou wont take advice because you are all "elite" and just follow your own or company rules without putting a human factor in. But if I have to give advice here I will say; Stop treating employees like cattle or "bodies" and maybe you can keep them a little longer.

Great Company till the Merger

Division Fleet Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Republic Services full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThey let their Managers manage the business. Good work/life balance for most employees.

ConsThey merged with Allied Waste and changed the company culture. Four years later it seems like they are still struggling to establish a new culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook more at the pre merger Repulic Culture. A "cookie cutter" plan to manage each division is counter productive. What works in Las Vegas will not work as well in Nashville.

If you want to be verbally abused and threatened this is for you. Stuck in the early 80's

Front Load Driver (Former Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Republic Services full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood pay. OK benefits OK equipment on the road.

ConsBeing told by management constantly that they don't care about you. They play favorites . based on race. Never promote from within. Facilities are old outdated run down and some are unsafe. IT systems are extemly outdated. Like from the early 80's

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people fairly and equally. Promote from within. Focus on the people and not all about the numbers. Hold more business ethics training for management and hold them accountable

Fun

Operations Supervisor (Current Employee)
Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at Republic Services full-time for more than 8 years

ProsSomething new everyday never a dull moment

ConsTo much allied waste really ... still not figured it out

Advice to Senior ManagementUse common sense

Direct Supervisor was wonderful, company as a hold not worth the trouble.

I have been working at Republic Services full-time for more than a year

ProsThis was close to home, my Direct Supervisor was great, could not ask for a better leader. The hours were flexible, great to have when you have Dr. appointments and kids.

ConsThe office atmosphere was not professional, office staff was sloppy in the way they dressed and how they spoke to customers. Seemed as if I worked with high school kids.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnforce the dredss code. Any employee that talks to customers should have an etiquette class on manners.

Stressful, exhausting, misleading and discouraging

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Republic Services full-time for more than 5 years

ProsStable industry - not as affected by the recession as others
Challenging work environment
Many counterparts for your position so there are a lot of resources to reach out to for advice, assistance and training and to vent to
Decent amount of vacation time offered.
Good learning experience and can always be used as a comparison whenever one feels bad about their post-Republic jobs. All they have to do is think about their days at Republic and they will automatically feel better about their post-Republic job, knowing that it could be worse, it could be like it was at Republic.

ConsVery old, outdated and inefficient software systems and/or completely user unfriendly
High turnaround - people are always either getting fired or laid off
Because so many positions were eliminated, we all had to pick up the terminated employees responsibilitie, usually duties that were in no way related to what we were hired to do. The workload was already too much for tasks related to our job description, but then they piled on the extras so your main tasks suffered.
We were often held responsible for department results like we were managers of them even though we weren't, there was no official title or position change, no manager compensation, etc.
HUGE pay discrepancies between managers and subordinates.
Little to no recognition for your hard work.
Little to no training and roles are not clearly defined at all.
Expect to be burnt out if you are a salaried employee. You will be putting in a minimum of 50 hours per week and that's on a good week.
Good old boys club - major glass ceiling for female employees wanting to move up the corporate ladder.
All they do is tell you how bad you're doing and do nothing to actually help make things better.
Terrible culture.
Work-life balance is thrown out the window-they don't care.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe computer systems used are a joke. You want a more efficient, accurate and productive work force, then pony up the cash to upgrade your systems. Republic can afford it. The CEO makes over 7 figures a year, maybe take it out of his salary - I'm sure he would be able to survive for a few months with a pay cut.
Take a good hard look at the culture and actually do something to change it.
Actually start sincerely caring about your employees job satisfaction - in ALL departments.

Limited Opportunities

I have been working at Republic Services full-time

ProsRelatively good pay and employee appreciation

ConsNo leadership qualities from senior management. Any interests that you may have are quieted quickly, performance review feedback is left to "you are doing great," no real feedback which means no real movement. There is no formal training....you better like to learn as you go-

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a leadership program, train your employees and promote their skills

Good Company

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Republic Services full-time for more than 5 years

ProsHave consistant results and behaviors, and doors will open.

ConsThere could be better internal communication.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs more support on the day to day activities.

Worked for Republic Services? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Republic Services reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Republic Services CEO Donald W. (Don) Slager. All 158 reviews are posted anonymously by Republic Services employees.