Reynolds American

Reynolds American Reviews

Updated Jul 02, 2014

Reynolds American Chairman, President, & CEO Daniel M. Delen

Daniel M. Delen

Pros
  • Great benefits, Good starting pay, and for the most part great team members(in 32 reviews)

• Great pay and benefits, but don't think it's long term(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • There is almost zero work/ life balance(in 14 reviews)

• Watch your back, senior management in information management have a problem with communicating the truth(in 14 reviews)

Watch your back

Manager (Former Employee) Winston-Salem, NC (US)

ProsGood salary and benefits for area

ConsWatch your back, senior management in information management have a problem with communicating the truth. Non transparent, the good old boy culture operating at high capacity.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring the team work culture back

Overall, a good place to work

Territory Manager (Current Employee) Flat Rock, MI (US)

ProsIndependence, vehicle, bonus, and ability to make decisions.

ConsManagement is somewhat aloof to what is happening in the field. Feedback is not used, seems that advancement opportunities are limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people in the field.

Great Company

Territory Sales Manager (Former Employee)

ProsPays well
    Allows employees to control their own territory

ConsCan have large territories and lost of time on the road

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent place

ProsWork environment was ok most of the time

ConsWorking in a smaller branch, there was CONSTANT worry of whether or not your job was secure. No encouragement from supervisors to make employees feel secure.

They purchased my former company and rooted out seasoned professionals.

Territory Manager II (Former Employee)

ProsField sales is a great place for but kissers.

ConsRookies now running the show.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up.

Great for someone looking for B2B experience out of college but not much more.

Territory Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsUnsupervised for the majority of time, Company Car, Co-Workers are all eager to help, Great Training

ConsConstant change of strategy, Clients, Most business conducted in dangerous areas, little to no room for advancement, Tobacco Industry is in decline yet management continues to pitch "increased sales"

Advice to Senior ManagementChange pay structure in California, Understand client sophistication level, terrible compensation program

Great salary / benefits / challenging culture

Senior Scientist (Former Employee) Winston-Salem, NC (US)

ProsExcellent salary and benefits. At times way to political which causes people to go along for the sake of survival. Work environment improved for employees over the years to make it attractive to stay.

ConsChallenging high performance culture to an excess. Management never ever satisfied with employee performance even in years where you left it all on the field and gave till it hurt your personal life.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove middle management communication skills

Good Learning Opportunity for recent graduates

Manager (Current Employee) Winston-Salem, NC (US)

ProsThe people are are great to work with

ConsWork Life Balance is not very good.

Great company

ProsInnovative and always something to do

ConsForced to move without getting a preference

Territory Manager means Glorified Merchandiser in this Company

Territory Manager III (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsThere are many great Pros to the job like a company car, paid personal gas and insurance, full benefits, cell phone and internet allowance. There are some pretty nice co-workers you will come across, and the freedom of not having to see a manager everyday is great. The CEO is also a very nice and down to earth guy if you ever get a chance to meet him.

ConsKeep in mind that the tobacco industry is declining, but Division Managers will constantly put pressure on you to increase share for 2nd tier Camel products that are much less popular than the competition (Altria).

Cons:
    1. Don't even think about career advancement, because there are barely any positions to strive for. Even if you do become a division manager after 5-10 years, you will still be going into gas stations and liquor stores for a living.
    2. Going into gas stations and liquors stores everyday will frustrate you and you will often deal with hostile situations.
    3. If you accept any relocation and moving bonus you will have to repay it if you leave within a year, and the company will charge you interest if you can't pay in a lump sum
    4. You will not be able to use your brain at all and have to do merchandising all day (aka hanging up signs and changing signs).
    5. The longer you spend in the company the more stupid you will feel. You will be out of touch with highly important skills you learn at other companies and even in excel classes at school.
    6. The company hires 1.5 people per day, because there are so many dissatisfied employees. Probably 4/5 people I have come across are actively looking for new employment.
    9. No real sense of team. It really does feel lonely after a while especially if you had to relocate and your closest co-worker is far away.

My advice to any college graduates or people with some sort of ambition who are on the job hunt: Skip this job and keep waiting for a better company!

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that many people are highly talented and skilled in performing job functions other than merchandising and you will stop having such a high employee turnover.

Worked for Reynolds American? Contribute to the Community!