Reynolds American

Reynolds American Reviews

Updated Jul 02, 2014

Reynolds American Chairman, President, & CEO Daniel M. Delen

Daniel M. Delen

Pros
  • Great benefits, Good starting pay, and for the most part great team members(in 32 reviews)

• Great pay and benefits, but don't think it's long term(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • There is almost zero work/ life balance(in 14 reviews)

• Watch your back, senior management in information management have a problem with communicating the truth(in 14 reviews)

Santa Fe Natural Tobacco Co: No Leadership, Bad Culture

ProsDecent starting salary, company car, benefits, 401k with match.

Cons1.) Treated as property; salary means "you do". No motivators outside of "we pay you".

2.) Clocking in/ out: that's right, as a salaried outside sales professional you must clock in/ out and are held accountable to making a certain number of visits per day within an 8 hour time frame. Make any more than said number (which changes quarterly, or semi-annually) and you're not making "quality calls", make any less and you're given some other watered down excuse for management.

3.) First time manager every year: "promote from within" basically means a first time manager will be learning from their mistakes, consequently effecting your career, every 1-2 years.

4.) Blatant favoritism: people who come into power easily typically have a hard time maintaining that power (see above). Promotions are not a result of hard work and industry knowledge, it comes down to filling affirmative action quotas and a fairly pathetic version of "networking".

5.) No leadership: people in power are coasting on organic growth of a niche brand.

6.) Bad Culture: it doesn't take long to see through the "generosity" of this company. SFNTC operates as the rich father who's family is falling apart because he tries to buy love and is blind to what really needs to be done.

*Extension of 6.) There is no integrity of company values. People in power do not care about sustainability or the value set behind the "image" American Spirit tries to portray to the public. The people running this company are making money from a growing niche, and "greenwashing".

Advice to Senior ManagementGut all Director level positions and start from scratch.

Perfect opportunity for "hungry" College Grad's to kickstart their professional career

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

Pros-Opportunities for upward mobility if you are willing to RELOCATE and put in the work to get there.
    -Work Hard, Play Hard Company culture (if you're into that)
    -Developing Talent is highly valued... this company will invest in you!
    -All promotions are within the RAI talent pool (outside RAI hires are rare)
    -Benefits are fairly good (Vehicle/GAS, 401K, Health/Dental).

Cons-little opportunity to be creative. Much of the work is execution and robotic based. Unfortunately, the job can get somewhat monotonous and boring.
    -inconsistency at entry level manager due to inexperienced manager's. Some manager's are excellent, some are horrible. In my opinion, much of this is due to RAI's "fast-track" strategy with succession candidates.
    -Some bureaucracy (like any other fortune 500).
    -Work Environment is primarily at Gas Stations and Convenience Stores... not exactly a glamorous work site.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people the opportunity to share new ideas, practice creativity and innovation. The Tobacco Transformation you are trying to construct may be right under your nose.

Old school mentality, openly subject non smokers to chain smokers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPay is okay for the area, decent tuition reimbursement, somewhat trying to grow and recognize change is needed, but need to actually act on the need for change!

ConsPoor work environment, over worked, poor training, benefits aren't NEARLY as good as they'd like you to believe. Try to scare their employees into thinking they're the only game in town and everything is the best of the best there which isn't true!

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome aware of what your competition offers or you'll continue to lose good talent!!!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Okay company...

ProsGreat benefits, company car. I've had one really great manager and one really bad. So much of the job depends on who your boss is since that is your main contact.

ConsYou will have no control over where you live. Employees that want to advance are given very little say in where they are relocated to.

Advice to Senior ManagementPost job openings and allow employees to apply for promotions in areas they are interested in.

great place to work

Plant Manager (Current Employee) Tobaccoville, NC (US)

Prossalary is the best in its class

Conssmell like tobacco all day

Advice to Senior Managementna

Innovative, Market Leadership, Work / Life Balance

ProsGreat people to work with, fully invested in the people, great pay and benefits

ConsTo date I cannot think of any cons. The company truly believes in the people

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the great leadership

Santa Fe Natural Tobacco Company-Disgustingly Unethical Treatment of Employees

Territory Manager (Current Employee)

ProsMedian salary, benefits, bonus structure based on declining companies combined efforts.

ConsCompletely manipulative executive "leadership". Disgustingly unethical treatment of employees. Favoritism, cover-ups, abuse of affirmative action standards. Middle management mainly consists of people a couple years out of college who make the right "friend" and are then allowed to make their first professional mistakes off of the backs of good people, therefore very negatively affecting peoples lives. For example, creating high stress, often hostile work environments, and creating extremely high employee turn over either by termination or resignation. People don't last long here. In the last year alone, I know of at least a dozen people in one region who have left the company or been fired. There is almost zero work/ life balance. They use a "carrot" to string you along promising promotions, which is only a very manipulative trick. This is intended to fool all employees into working as if they are always on the verge of being promoted, when reality is they have a select few that will be promoted based on filling quotas that have nothing to do with their quality of work. If you expected integrity and honesty from a tobacco company, think again before applying here. Manipulation is the key word when it comes to SFNTC.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf it wasn't too late, I'd say to try and regain some integrity in your management force.

Worse as time passes.

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Winston-Salem, NC (US)

ProsPay is decent for Winston Salem.

Cons1. Lack of clear vision,
    2. Too willing to promote people who are young and inexperienced, and often unqualified for their positions.
    3. Continuous degradation of benefits
    4. No path for promotion, for most people in the company.
    5. Performance review process is flawed.
    6. "Succession" planning process is flawed.
    7. No opportunity to "apply" for jobs internally.
    8. Company places too much emphasis on bringing in talent and almost no importance on retaining talent with often decades of experience.

Advice to Senior Management1. Consider the opinion of employees, not just new employees.
    2. Consider looking at ALL employees for promotion opportunities, not just the new hires/less tenured employees.
    3. Stop being myopic in managing the company. Think at least a couple of years out.
    4. Offer new opportunities to ALL employees.
    5. Revise "succession" planning and employee reviews.
    6. Equally value all employees - not just new hires.

Great job for people plus

Territory Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThere are a lot of pros when considering this company for your future employment, great job, fantastic.

ConsThere are none at this time

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Senior Division Manager

Senior Division Magr (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsGood pay, benefits. People I worked with were great, fun people that worked hard and were fun to be around.

ConsAs described by others, the promotion game is very political. Many of the better performers have been by passed due to politics and favorites (brown-nosers) getting preferred spots. So glad I left, as I hear it is worse than ever. I worked nights, weekends and while on vacation to keep my boss happy.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize when you hit the streets you are looking at a day that has been totally set up for your appeasement. If you want a real look at your business do something on your own.

Worked for Reynolds American? Contribute to the Community!