Reynolds American

Reynolds American Reviews

Updated Jul 02, 2014

Reynolds American Chairman, President, & CEO Daniel M. Delen

Daniel M. Delen

Pros
  • Great benefits, Good starting pay, and for the most part great team members(in 32 reviews)

• Great pay and benefits, but don't think it's long term(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • There is almost zero work/ life balance(in 14 reviews)

• Watch your back, senior management in information management have a problem with communicating the truth(in 14 reviews)

Good pay, solid benefits, work life balance is hit or miss!

Account Manager Trade Marketing (Former Employee)

ProsThe package is good (pay, car, phone etc) and work can be fun. Most co-workers are really good and promotion is possible (I was promoted after 16 months during a time when promotions were "rare").

ConsSome managers are micromanagers to the extreme. Your work week will never be 40 hours unless you stay a Territory Manager for life. Best candidates not always promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake away relocation as part of promotion and you will finally be able to promote the best talent instead of just the most flexible.

RAI Review

Vice President Business Information (Former Employee) Winston-Salem, NC (US)

ProsPaid Well, rewarded success and strong benefits

ConsLayoffs every few years
    Cutting benefits of retirees

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in businesses other than tobacco for long term survival

Do your job, play the game and you're good.

Territory Manager (Current Employee)

Pros-Decent benefits (health/dental, 401k matching, short term disability, etc),
    -Vacation time, company car, gas, and tuition reimbursement
    -Flexibility in schedule
    -Decent work/life balance

Cons-No commission
    -Need to be very mobile to advance
    -Dirty work conditions (due to retail)
    -Very redundant

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to optimize training and/or create an official training workshop/seminar/class for new TM's. Trust that we are doing the right thing for the business without all the micromanagement.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Be prepared for a 60 hour week

Territory Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, Good starting pay, and for the most part great team members

ConsLots of "equal opportunity" management, promotions take forever at least 18 months, micromanaged, Managers act as private investigators to and will ride your territory w/out you knowing.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire the right person for the mgmt positions, and treat your territory managers right they are what drives the company

Good benefits,, Small professional reward

Territory Manager II (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO (US)

ProsThere is a lot to like about working for RJ Reynolds as a TM. The benefits are solid, the pay is above average when compared to other TM positions and you have a lot of freedom to work from a home office. As a TM, you are also provided with a company car with no personal use restrictions, your internet is provided at home as well as wirelessly through a "Jet Pack," and you are provided a cell phone allowance.

ConsThis is not a very professionally rewarding position. Most of the work you do is "busy work" that really has no value to the company. You could literally work 7-8 days a month and be an overachiever in this position. The laid back company culture is very enjoyable, but the job unfortunately grows ever more redundant. There has been very little opportunity for career advancement over the last 3-4 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no advice for management. I believe that most of the management team is doing what is necessary to get themselves noticed. If anything, since RJR is a company that promotes from within, don't take your position too seriously. You have held the same position as your subordinates, and you know the ups and downs of the position... manage with that information in mind.

Great company

Account Manager Trade Marketing (Current Employee) Greenville, SC (US)

ProsTraining is excellent. Great benefits.

ConsVery political for moving up.

It was fun at first until new management took over

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsThere were no pros to this job

ConsAlways changed procedures and followed you around in your territory all of the time

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are unhappy with employee fire them do not make them miserable

Your job depends on your manager

Trade Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ (US)

Pros-Good entry level position
    -Company car and good benefits

Cons-Upper level management
    -Too many tasks that are required that doesn't impact business
    -Management promotes on mobility instead of ability

Advice to Senior Management- Don't get in the way

Good entry level job, hard to move up. No commission for sales.

Territory Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat benefits: Company Car, Free Gas, Lots of Vacation, 401K Matching, Medical/Dental/Vision, Short term disability benefits, etc.

ConsCompany is slow to change procedures that aren't working well. The workload and expectations are totally dependent upon who your direct manager is.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave HQ decision makers spend more time with TM's in order to better understand what is going on at retail.

I'm a MGR, You're a MGR,We're all MGRs, Wouldn't you like to be a manager too?

Territory Manager II (Current Employee)

ProsThis company is by far the best and most innovative of the big 3 tobacco companies. They invest a lot into the products, staff, company vehicles, meeting and training tools.I believe they will once again become the #1 company in the category due to the upper level execs.This job allows for flexibility, growth, decent lifestyle (location depending), and the possibility of a career.

ConsThe job is pitched to you as a "promotion based on performance" type company. While this phrase is true, the reality of the situation is very slow, very fast or a glass ceiling. There are guidelines to follow for promotion but depending on location and/or district manager, you may be more likely to move up faster. This job can affect your personal life due to workload, travel time and total learning curve. Also the opportunity to transfer exist but, is very unlikely to happen.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe that mgmt shouldn't always be as politically correct with the issues. I would adjust the job pitch process to lay out a likely timeline for promotion, have location options available, and have some positions become tenured.

Worked for Reynolds American? Contribute to the Community!