Rite Aid Reviews

Updated 19 September 2014
2.8

Rite Aid President, CEO, and Director John T. Standley
John T. Standley

Pros
  • good pay compared to the other big chains, good computer system and interface (in 32 reviews)

• Great benefits, if you work at a union store, flexible hours (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is determined to turn a profit at whatever costs (in 68 reviews)

• resets etc while giving good customer service along with everything else (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Really depends on the people.

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor/Wellness Ambassador
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor/Wellness Ambassador

I worked at Rite Aid full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I had worked in two different stores in two different states over the course of 7.5 years. LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION!!! This can be a wonderful place to work and a fun job with the right people and good district management. In the good store, we took what little Rite Aid gave us and made the most of it, turned our RAPTAR parties from sad little pizzas or boxes of donuts and turned them into some pretty awesome potluck parties in the back room. It's all about who you work with that makes the job suck or rock.... We got slammed with tons of work and resets and rules and regs but we worked and played on through it. We also had a pretty awesome district team that listened to us, respected opinions and actually worked with us to create positive changes in our store.

Cons

Onto the not so fun store..... There was sadly an "us and them" attitude between the pharmacy and the front of the store and it just put a black cloud over the whole place.... There was constant bickering and exclusionary behavior. Tons of "that's not my job" kind of stuff and absolutely no help from district management. If a problem was brought to their attention either the wrong person was attacked or you would get an "I'll get back to you with an answer on that" and the answer would never come. You were constantly yelled at or talked down to by the district manager, he rarely had anything positive to say. It's like that say, that stuff rolls downhill, DM yells at SM, they in turn yell at the shifts who go kick the cashiers and we all know who the cashiers have to take it out on..... Customer service struggled.

Treat your employees like people, not numbers. Listen to them, work with them, stop trying so hard to tow the corporate line. These two above examples should kind of show you, if there's problems, fix them, if they can't be fixed, shuffle people around if need be to get the best fits.... The right group together can achieve some amazing results. The pro store I listed was more like a mom and pop, tiny little place in a residential neighborhood, our sales were higher than the con store I mentioned that was five times the size and in a high traffic retail heavy area.

Ok company

I have been working at Rite Aid

Pros

Great benefits for full time employees

Cons

I know part time employees may not get enough hours.

Non

While I learned a great deal at Rite Aid, working pharmacy and front end, I would not go back.

Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician  in  Eugene, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Eugene, OR (US)

I worked at Rite Aid part-time for less than a year

Pros

With good management, the departments run smoothly. Schedules were flexible for students, and the work was simple and straightforward. Training was provided for all departments, and they were willing to hire untrained employees.

Cons

Pay is low, and when management is poor, structure falls apart very quickly. Not enough resources provided to the employees to do their jobs properly. For example, there would frequently not be enough people on shift to handle a particularly busy sale, or proper training not given on how to answer specific recurring questions to a new company policy change or promotion.

Listen to your employees, and pay attention when enough of them are reporting verbally abusive management. Understand that your employees regularly deal with agitated customers, and having to ask management questions on how to proceed during a busy day is less efficient than giving them the training when a new system or policy is launched.

It also wouldn't hurt to pay your employees a living wage. I was on food stamps while working in the pharmacy, because my hours were repeatedly cut with no warning or explanation other than "that's retail" being given.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun, friendly, active retail environment

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Wharton, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Wharton, NJ (US)

I have been working at Rite Aid full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Retail experience was great. Learning to skills as they are introduced. Always meeting fun and interesting new people. Updating the skills I have learned and teaching them to new employee's. Making new friends along the way, with always something to do.

Cons

Personal growth I wanted to move out of retail and move to a more "grown up" job. It took me just shy of 12 years to receive an Assistant Manager title which was fun and rewarding. Towards my last few weeks, the manager and I couldn't see eye to eye on anything.

When hiring a new employee, look towards what you could teach them. Are they going to benefit the company? Looking as some of the fresh faces that were hired before I left they had the knowledge, the right attitude, and the energy to grow. I felt like at every chance at a promotion I was showed everything on what to do, but was always being held back.

Tasks I could do blind folded was never taught to anyone else because of fear that something would be "messed up". There never is anything "messed up" that can not be fixed. Trust was there, but lost. You need to trust your employees. So what if it feel's like one step forward, two steps back. They will understand how to correct it the next time around.

Appreciate your employee's. I remember when this past hurricane came to North Jersey, ripped down South Jersey. We were made to come in from sun up to sun down to work without power (which is mainly what we run off of). Not once was there a "thank you" from anyone. You need to send out just a simple email to show that you care about the people who risked their lives to come to work with tree limbs down, flooded streets. These people who work for the company do very much care about the company or they would have never signed on to work with you. Even in the winter when a "State of Emergency" has be declared we were made to "try and make it in" Persons who live 30min. to 60min. away had to come in. When the employees who live within walking distance couldn't even get out of their streets.

It's time to show the real meaning behind "With Us It's Personal" to your employees and not just the customers. If you look at your sales your best customers are your employees, friends of your employees, and most of all the family of your employees.

Learning Experience

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor

I worked at Rite Aid full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get a 20% discount, and there is a high chance of moving up to Management because of high shift supervisor turnover.

Cons

I worked there for two years and both years payroll hours were cut. Depending on what store you work at as a Shift you'll be doing a lot of the "cashier" duties. Straightening the store, cleaning bathrooms, etc. The payrate is lower than other pharmacies.

Higher starting pay rate.

Love my job!

Current Employee - General  in  Walla Walla, WA (US)
    Current Employee - General in Walla Walla, WA (US)

I have been working at Rite Aid full-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly staff, pharmacy, hours are great! My managers are so helpful with my training. CBT's teach you a lot if you pay attention,during my interview I was guaranteed everything that I am getting. My bosses keep their word. They smile they laugh and they care.

Cons

None yet.
    I've only worked here a week.

None yet!

Good for part time work while going to school

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Rite Aid part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great coworkers (at least in my store)
    flexible with school or air national guard schedule
    Easy repetitive work

Cons

very few hours
    management is okay at best
    not much room for advancement
    chairs are not given much authority or tools to help customers (ex: manager approval needed to override everything)

Give long time/experienced associates the ability to override lower cost transactions rather than having the supervisors come to the front to resolve every small issue. Start bringing in services like red box and selling local newspapers. Wall greens already offered these services day one and it lost us business to the competition.

Rite Aid is a typical pharmacy chain.

Current Employee - Pharmacist Manager  in  Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Pharmacist Manager in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at Rite Aid full-time for more than a year

Pros

Recognition is pushed by corporate through little cards that you fill out and post on a board in the break room. I know that other companies do this type of thing as well. It is very bolstering to the staff.

Cons

The company is cutting hours to stay competitive. This can create difficulties for all members of management. The process to do so should be complemented by increases in company efficiencies for it to work correctly and unfortunately those were lagging behind.

Please create more efficient models with adequate training prior to implementation of new policies, I believe the staff would be more open to changes within the work flow.

Rite aid was a great place to work because of all the friendly employees and customers.

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Long Beach, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Long Beach, CA (US)

I worked at Rite Aid full-time for more than a year

Pros

Employee discounts and the hours are good plus the thrifty ice cream.

Cons

I think the challenge was working until 10pm or later.

No advice.

I had a crazy experience at Rite Aid

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I worked at Rite Aid full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I think Rite Aid is a great place to start your career to develop skills and talents for your dream job or goals.

Cons

Rite Aid loves to put more on you than you can bare so always maintain your energy level.

I understand we are in the business of gaining profits but cutting payroll and expect the same level out output puts strain on your employees and causes them to hate what they do.

Worked for Rite Aid? Contribute to the Community!