Rite Aid

2.7
1,071 Reviews

Rite Aid President, CEO, and Director John T. Standley
John T. Standley

Pros
  • Flexible hours,like you got anywhere from 300-450 hours as an intern, pretty flexible (in 33 reviews)

• good pay compared to the other big chains, good computer system and interface (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management does not understand what is happening at store level or seem to care (in 82 reviews)

• resets etc while giving good customer service along with everything else (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Wellness Ambassador position

Current Employee - Wellness Ambassador
    Current Employee - Wellness Ambassador

I have been working at Rite Aid full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Freedom to work in the store and out in the community. Opportunities to be creative in marketing ideas.

Cons

Training is subpar. You have to be motivated to educate yourself. It's a difficult position as far as support and fitting into the store. Front end managers want to use you for truck, stock, planos while pharmacist want to use you as a tech. Associates don't see you doing there type of work so don't see any value in the position. There currently isn't any way to move up in the company within the position.

My Advice is to read the pros and cons.

Never Again

I have been working at Rite Aid

Pros

I liked meeting new people and seeing people I already knew. I liked my Co workers also.

Cons

Terrible hours but that is retail for you. And the pay was chump change.

The man behind the desk needs to work front lines before setting policy.

Shift Supervisor

I have been working at Rite Aid full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work scheduling and the ability to be flexible with its associates

Cons

They are not competitive when it comes to paying their employees at assistant manager level and/or below.

Invest in your employees, not just your buildings/remodels

Pretty straightforward job most of the time

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Rite Aid full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Pretty simple job to get the hang of
    -Benefits are pretty good for full-time employees compared to other companies
    -Opportunities to advance for hard workers

Cons

-The amount of payroll hours a store gets seems slightly arbitrary at times (at least within my district)
    -Though corporate wants everyone to feel as if their opinions matter, from my experience you only truly matter if you are the store manager or above
    -Assistants are not part of the bonus structure

Good and bad days

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Aston, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Aston, PA (US)

I have been working at Rite Aid

Pros

Relatively straightforward tasks, promotions from within tend to happen, if you're in a union store the benefits are good albeit expensive, flexible scheduling, nothing incredibly difficult about the job - same tasks day in and day out, routine, easy, outside companies do most of the complicated planograms for you

Cons

Sale signs are ridiculous - too many! Paper waste. Week after week. Hanging signs on top of signs on top of signs. Streamline this and you could have employees doing much more productive tasks on weekends rather than spending literally the entire day on sale signs because of lack of payroll. Which brings me to my other complaint, there is nowhere near enough payroll to staff the store and my store is not even high volume. Having to work for hours as a cashier when I'm hired to be a shift supervisor is ridiculous. There needs to be all day cashier coverage and there should be three people working during peak times. But the company doesn't care. They act as though you NEVER have an interruption, and expect 100 tasks done each day, on time, no excuses. But my cashier has to page me every 5 minutes because the registers do not let cashiers do anything without approval. What am I supposed to do?

Payroll, payroll, payroll. The amount of staffing even in a mid-volume store is completely insufficient, and you expect more and more and more done with no extra help. Adding even enough payroll for one extra employee to work each shift, with no "gaps" (I spend 2 hours of my closing shift without a cashier, and 1 hour of an opening shift without a cashier). If you aren't going to give more payroll you need to drastically lower your expectations of what someone can complete in a day.

Different

I have been working at Rite Aid

Pros

Awesome people.. good experience...holiday pay.. most of the locations aren't that far. Advancement opportunities

Cons

Not always properly trained to advance. A lot of slick talking when questions are asked about advancing. Too much ego.

Be realistic. Keep your word.. too much game playing when it comes to advancement opportunities. Things aren't always followed through.

It has been a good experience.

Current Employee - Fe Manager in Hickory, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Fe Manager in Hickory, NC (US)

I have been working at Rite Aid

Pros

Flexible hours, understanding DM when it comes to leave.

Cons

Not enough staffing payroll and floating mgt.

Truly listen to the needs of store personnel.

Very pleasant. What I expected

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Fountain Valley, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Fountain Valley, CA (US)

I have been working at Rite Aid

Pros

Great learning environment for pharmacy technicians. Pharmacists will help you get to the next step and into pharmacy school if you work hard for them.

Cons

Customers can be grumpy sometimes due to the fact that they come here for medicine. The customers are ill, and you must make their visit as pleasant as possible.

Certified Pharmacy Technician

Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Smyrna, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Smyrna, TN (US)

I worked at Rite Aid part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Tuition reimbursement for those who are pursuing a career in the pharmacy field.

Cons

Each store is a different atmosphere and the quality of the work environment is dependent on the store. My store was very tight-nit and new employees were not made to feel like part of the group. It was a very uncomfortable work environment. If I filled in at other store, it was a very welcoming environment.

Upper management needs to look closely at the atmosphere of the pharmacy and make changes if employees are uncomfortable.

cashier

I worked at Rite Aid

Pros

flexable hrs great people friendly

Cons

not enough hour to work