Riverbed Technology

Updated 26 February 2015
4.1

Riverbed Technology Chairman, President, and CEO Jerry M. Kennelly
Jerry M. Kennelly

Pros
  • Having worked at some other places I find a great work life balance here" (in 45 reviews)

• Great people, although that can vary widely depending on the group you're in (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is growing faster than its engineering process is evolving (in 12 reviews)

• Growing pains associated with transforming sales team to a multi-product solution sales team (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Absolutely awesome

Current Employee - Pre-Sales Engineer
    Current Employee - Pre-Sales Engineer

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Culture is key, people work for people not companies.

Cons

My office is a bit drab, but we are moving!

Keep up the good work

Awesome place to work

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Melbourne
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Melbourne

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work Life Balance, great perks, fantastic management that leaves us to do our job.

Cons

Very hard to think of any, not the best paid in the industry would be about it :)

Keep the small/mid size company attitude as we get bigger, don't let things get to process driven

Creative, innovative and empowering!

Current Employee - Major Strategic Sales in Sydney
    Current Employee - Major Strategic Sales in Sydney

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Riverbed is an amazing company that drives both real value for its customers, as well as being rewarding for the employee.

Cons

As a rapidly growing company, systems and processes struggle to keep up.

Fast moving, dynamic, flexible company to work for!

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Sydney
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Sydney

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great people from the top all the way down, no internal issues with ego's and politics, everyone driving to the same common goal and theme. Can do environment, with people actively supported to bring new ideas to the table and apply their own, unique initiatives.

Cons

Growing company, and whilst not encumbered by process/paperwork, some internal processes can be a little lacking at times.

Keep the focus, keep the open, honest, frank internal communications. Apply just a little more focus on internal processes to help drive the career development of individuals. HR processes/systems a little lacking at times.

excellent

Current Employee - Vice President in North Sydney
    Current Employee - Vice President in North Sydney

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great open, cooperative culture.
    Great people. Great technology. Great customer service.

Cons

Work/life balance is difficult, most liekly my own fault, as I find because the opportunities are so many and the culture is immersive.

The beatings will continue until morale improves

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time

Pros

Some great people work here.
    Market-leading products, and good brand-recognition.
    Office location makes it easy to maintain my caffeine addiction.

Cons

Doesn't eat all of its own dog-food - if you don't believe in the product, why should we?
    IT and internal systems don't help - get your head in the game, or get out of the way!
    Management directives lack the "why" - if you're making changes that affect me, "because" is not a valid answer. And making "verbal" offers to me without putting it in writing just smells like you're doing something dodgy.

If management one and two levels up don't listen to the ground troops, it's unlikely the higher levels will either.
    It's cheaper to retain good staff than having to re-recruit and train new ones.
    Stock options are only useful if the share price is high enough to make it worthwhile to sell.

Great company to work for, looks after employees well

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time

Pros

-Employees looked after very well (health care, life insurance, shares etc...)
    -Ability for employees to venture out to different areas of the company and expand their horizons they see a need/niche
    -Open door policy

Cons

-HR have been known to be a little shady when dealing with confidential situations. Approach carefully
    -As with all companies, if you get a dodgy manager it can ruin your experiences. Unfortunately, Riverbed is not exempt from this as I have known of managers who play favorites. Room for growth can be limited

Implement several checks to ensure managers are making the correct decisions. Some decisions are passed through on the implication that the manager is doing what is best for RVBD, but this may not always be the case

Great technology portfolio for a relatively mature tech company still in growth mode.

Former Employee - Director of Channel Sales in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Director of Channel Sales in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Riverbed consistently offers opportunity for career advancement and ongoing training, and values investing in their employees. Although I departed for another opportunity, I would work there again in a heartbeat.

Cons

One of the major challenges is the company is going private via buyout from Thoma Brava. Until that is settled and they inevitably restructure, there will be short term headwinds to understanding the overall strategy and key leadership that will be retained.

Continue to invest in your people and make them feel valued, yet at the same time make certain to hold employees (especially long timers) to a high standard of performance & productivity.

Great Inside Sales Job

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Competitive salary, true sales environment

Cons

Management out of tune with operations

Excellent technology, great opportunity

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Riverbed is full of great technology, that is being assembled into a strong portfolio of solutions. The Wan Optimization is the best, and when coupled with the Performance Management portfolio, you create a much more compelling and complete offer. Private Equity purchase will add some cash to pockets of people with Stock. The transition has great promise of success to move well past the $1B hurdle.

Cons

The market for WanOp has matured, requiring a bit more effort by the sales and product teams than in years past. Not everyone is willing to change, and that creates some issues in the transformation. Some of it is inability to change and adapt, some is just lack of desire or motivation. A cleansing rinse is in order and those ready to go to the next level with Riverbed will stay, others will leave or be left behind. This is makes for some uncomfortable environments. The lack of information on the buyout progress, the product roadmaps, future compensation/incentive programs, and anything beyond the buyout - all lead to people standing still rather than working toward a goal.

Take care of what you can now - Product roadmaps, compensation plans, quotas, etc.. give people a goal to focus on. Communication is critical. Some of the changes are dragging on too long and causing people to doubt that new management is going to be be capable of leading the change needed. I believe it will be fine, but not everyone shares my view.

Riverbed Technology Photos