Riverbed Technology

Updated 24 January 2015
4.1

Riverbed Technology Chairman, President, and CEO Jerry M. Kennelly
Jerry M. Kennelly

Pros
  • Having worked at some other places I find a great work life balance here" (in 45 reviews)

• Great people, although that can vary widely depending on the group you're in (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is growing faster than its engineering process is evolving (in 12 reviews)

• Growing pains associated with transforming sales team to a multi-product solution sales team (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Absolutely awesome

Current Employee - Pre-Sales Engineer
    Current Employee - Pre-Sales Engineer

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Culture is key, people work for people not companies.

Cons

My office is a bit drab, but we are moving!

Keep up the good work

Awesome place to work

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Melbourne
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Melbourne

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work Life Balance, great perks, fantastic management that leaves us to do our job.

Cons

Very hard to think of any, not the best paid in the industry would be about it :)

Keep the small/mid size company attitude as we get bigger, don't let things get to process driven

Creative, innovative and empowering!

Current Employee - Major Strategic Sales in Sydney
    Current Employee - Major Strategic Sales in Sydney

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Riverbed is an amazing company that drives both real value for its customers, as well as being rewarding for the employee.

Cons

As a rapidly growing company, systems and processes struggle to keep up.

Fast moving, dynamic, flexible company to work for!

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Sydney
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Sydney

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great people from the top all the way down, no internal issues with ego's and politics, everyone driving to the same common goal and theme. Can do environment, with people actively supported to bring new ideas to the table and apply their own, unique initiatives.

Cons

Growing company, and whilst not encumbered by process/paperwork, some internal processes can be a little lacking at times.

Keep the focus, keep the open, honest, frank internal communications. Apply just a little more focus on internal processes to help drive the career development of individuals. HR processes/systems a little lacking at times.

The beatings will continue until morale improves

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time

Pros

Some great people work here.
    Market-leading products, and good brand-recognition.
    Office location makes it easy to maintain my caffeine addiction.

Cons

Doesn't eat all of its own dog-food - if you don't believe in the product, why should we?
    IT and internal systems don't help - get your head in the game, or get out of the way!
    Management directives lack the "why" - if you're making changes that affect me, "because" is not a valid answer. And making "verbal" offers to me without putting it in writing just smells like you're doing something dodgy.

If management one and two levels up don't listen to the ground troops, it's unlikely the higher levels will either.
    It's cheaper to retain good staff than having to re-recruit and train new ones.
    Stock options are only useful if the share price is high enough to make it worthwhile to sell.

excellent

Current Employee - Vice President in North Sydney
    Current Employee - Vice President in North Sydney

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great open, cooperative culture.
    Great people. Great technology. Great customer service.

Cons

Work/life balance is difficult, most liekly my own fault, as I find because the opportunities are so many and the culture is immersive.

Great company to work for, looks after employees well

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time

Pros

-Employees looked after very well (health care, life insurance, shares etc...)
    -Ability for employees to venture out to different areas of the company and expand their horizons they see a need/niche
    -Open door policy

Cons

-HR have been known to be a little shady when dealing with confidential situations. Approach carefully
    -As with all companies, if you get a dodgy manager it can ruin your experiences. Unfortunately, Riverbed is not exempt from this as I have known of managers who play favorites. Room for growth can be limited

Implement several checks to ensure managers are making the correct decisions. Some decisions are passed through on the implication that the manager is doing what is best for RVBD, but this may not always be the case

Working with smart adults who treat you like a smart adult

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Plenty of youthful people as well as people who've been around the industry. By "adult" I don't mean a particular age, I mean there is opportunity to take lots of responsibility and thus become a key team member. Show that you can be depended on, and others will do the same for you. It's really refreshing, and this level of mutual respect extends to excellent benefits as well.

The San Francisco office is located in a hotbed of tech companies--within a 10 minute walk are Yelp, Wikimedia, Uber, LinkedIn's new building, SalesForce's new building, etc. Tons of restaurants, 1 block to the Museum of Modern Art, & so many kinds of people with so many professions are on the street at lunchtime. The complete opposite of the sterile tech campus neighborhood which, if a 10 foot fence were added, would be indistinguishable from an ultra-max prison for the imagination!

Riverbed's products express truly new ideas which track the evolution of how wide area networks and the Internet are being used by real companies. If you want to really understand the guts of how today's networks and computing platforms actually operate, you have the opportunity here. If you want to work with very smart people in an atmosphere of trust and make a real contribution, this is the place.

Cons

Most of Engineering resists using formal titles (except for manager, director, VP), which can make it difficult to gauge your professional progress.

The company personality is a bit understated, which might give job seekers the incorrect impression that not much is happening here. To the contrary, heavily hyped social SW isn't even 1/10 as complex and interesting as this stuff.

Great company and very good working culture

I have been working at Riverbed Technology

Pros

Great company! Lots of perks and flexibility! Engineering is amazing!

Cons

None that I can think of

Great culture, enterprise baggage

Current Employee - QA Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Riverbed Technology

Pros

Compensation is good, culture is great, office in SF so no shuttle rides needed.

Cons

A big company which has a lot of products, crusty old internal frameworks, and enterprise customer use cases. All cumbersome.

Riverbed Technology Photos