Robert Walters

Robert Walters Reviews

Updated Apr 09, 2014

Robert Walters Chief Executive Robert C. Walters

Robert C. Walters

Great company for training and for a young consultant.

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)
Perth, Western Australia

I worked at Robert Walters full-time for more than a year

ProsYouthful office, very good social life with colleagues, especially as most are expats.
Great candidate/client management system
Supportive management
Feels like a real company in terms of professionalism and benefits compared to some other ones I have worked for.
If you bill well and consistently you have nothing to worry about and it can be quite enjoyable with good career development

ConsDiscretionary team bonus - not transparent on what you will earn and also reliant on team members to perform well and management not being greedy ( can be an issue when a number are having babies that they need to support!)
Broken promises (a running theme in recruitment)
Some office politics, you need to have read Sun Tzu to get on top!

Advice to Senior ManagementIf office isn't performing stop going out on Friday "management lunches" which are then expensed and stick with your teams until you are all performing again!!

Know your company

Consultant (Former Employee)
Sydney

I worked at Robert Walters full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat bunch of people to work with.

ConsLack of leadership and direction. A surprise culture of "surprise you're actually not doing that well."

Advice to Senior ManagementCultivate the people around you. Invest in those who are making the effort

In the end it was hard to wake up in the mornings

Recruitment Consultant (Former Employee)
Sydney

I worked at Robert Walters full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMost of the systems and process are well organised and smooth. Although organising billing to clients and dealing with backend finance team can be tortuous.
As a manager it is easy to motivate/demotivate your staff by paying them more/paying them less than they deserve in their bonus
Decent training for staff, although most employees have previous recruitment experience
Large numbers of staff to feed information off and big name in the market

ConsMisogynist boys club
Being "one of the boys" is viewed more highly than performance or general input to the business
Client relationships are not very strong and PSA/SLAs are generally poorly negotiated
Terrible staff retention and choice of new hires often very poor
Aggressive and rude behaviour by management (and subsequently by staff) is only frowned upon
Bonuses are rarely equivalent to what would be paid to a commission based consultant
Generally very negative environment to work in - very very low staff motivation and happiness so very tough for managers
Highly transaction based recruitment style

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that treating your clients and staff so poorly will eventually mean loosing all client relationships
Most should resign - others should go on leadership coaching courses
Understanding recruitment without understanding business creates a transactional environment

Robert Walters is a great employer

I have been working at Robert Walters

ProsGood Personal Growth, good Work-Life Balance

ConsAggressive Targets, highly competitive culture

Advice to Senior ManagementLine up incentives to the pay structure.

Steep learning curve and challenging, but overall good company

Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time for more than a year

ProsGood team dynamics with lots of info sharing across the floor. There has been some major changes in senior management, but it has started to stabilise and business confidence is growing. Excellent company culture with lots of staff events/drinks which helps staff bond, particularly with support staff. There is a good training programme in place, especially for people new to recruitment, which helps ease the process. The company has a great brand name, which helps when reaching out to clients/candidates, and a strong database which makes the job more manageable.

ConsIt is ultimately a sales-driven role, so you will have to be prepared to work hard, and work smart. There are KPIs to achieve, but nowadays this has eased up slightly. Turnover rates used to be high, but has reduced to regular attrition rates as with any sales job.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management can look at more ways to interact with the team outside of work to help establish stronger relationships between management and staff, which will help foster a better sense of belonging and more open channels of communication.

Help my client to get rid of her employee

IT Manager (Current Employee)
Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time for more than 5 years

Prosthis company has a very good name

ConsI was forced to help one of my client to get rid of one of her employee by recruiting this employee to a bad job, Now this employee is jobless.
I felt very regret and since then i changed my career path to other area.

Advice to Senior Managementsometimes recruiter has no choice, to maintain the client relationship we have to do harmful thing to people for our own benefit.

Sales centric organization, not as much growing opportunities for support staff

I have been working at Robert Walters

Prosgreat working hours and location

Conshigh turnover and improper management

Don't do it

Consultant (Former Employee)
Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Robert Walters full-time for more than a year

ProsNot a whole lot. You get to meet clients out of the office

ConsThey don't pay commission
Training is very poor- they just let you loose and see what happens. They hire loads of recruiters and see who survives. They promised me loads of commission and it never happened even though I had a long period if billing. Avoid them!

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your recruiters and advise them before you hire them it's nothing other than a sales job. They are a number. Nothing more or less.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great place to work! International, nice people, fun.

Tokyo (Japan)

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time for more than 3 years

ProsInternational work environment. Many workers from different countries. English is the standard language for communication.

People working at Robert Walters is very nice. It is very fun working with them.

Compensation is good to meet hardwork.

ConsI am pretty happy with the environment I work. It sounds untrue but I do not have negative feelings to the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep motivating workers with many ways as you are doing today

Experience of working for a bilcultural, fun recruitment company in Tokyo

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time for less than a year

ProsA great place to start your career in recruitment
Working with people who are motivated, ambitious and sucessful
Lots of perks and good benefits
Training program and support

ConsSometimes you have to work long hours but you can choose on how you manage your time.

Worked for Robert Walters? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Robert Walters reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Robert Walters CEO Robert C. Walters. All 48 reviews are posted anonymously by Robert Walters employees.