Robert Walters

Robert Walters Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Robert Walters Chief Executive Robert C. Walters

Robert C. Walters

Pros
  • There is a good training programme in place, especially for people new to recruitment, which helps ease the process(in 5 reviews)

• Good training ground for those who are new to recruitment(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Very long hours- expect to be working til midnight Monday to Friday, weekends etc(in 5 reviews)

• Turnover rates used to be high, but has reduced to regular attrition rates as with any sales job(in 4 reviews)

Great company for training and for a young consultant.

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) Perth, Western Australia

ProsYouthful office, very good social life with colleagues, especially as most are expats.
    Great candidate/client management system
    Supportive management
    Feels like a real company in terms of professionalism and benefits compared to some other ones I have worked for.
    If you bill well and consistently you have nothing to worry about and it can be quite enjoyable with good career development

ConsDiscretionary team bonus - not transparent on what you will earn and also reliant on team members to perform well and management not being greedy ( can be an issue when a number are having babies that they need to support!)
    Broken promises (a running theme in recruitment)
    Some office politics, you need to have read Sun Tzu to get on top!

Advice to Senior ManagementIf office isn't performing stop going out on Friday "management lunches" which are then expensed and stick with your teams until you are all performing again!!

A bit ordinary

Recruitment Consultant (Current Employee) Melbourne

ProsInternational opportunities, blue chip client base, social culture

ConsPoor base salary and discretionary commission structure, very little additional training outside your initial 6 months, poor negative leadership

Advice to Senior Managementinvest in your staff and reward them better

Know your company

Consultant (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsGreat bunch of people to work with.

ConsLack of leadership and direction. A surprise culture of "surprise you're actually not doing that well."

Advice to Senior ManagementCultivate the people around you. Invest in those who are making the effort

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

In the end it was hard to wake up in the mornings

Recruitment Consultant (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsMost of the systems and process are well organised and smooth. Although organising billing to clients and dealing with backend finance team can be tortuous.
    As a manager it is easy to motivate/demotivate your staff by paying them more/paying them less than they deserve in their bonus
    Decent training for staff, although most employees have previous recruitment experience
    Large numbers of staff to feed information off and big name in the market

ConsMisogynist boys club
    Being "one of the boys" is viewed more highly than performance or general input to the business
    Client relationships are not very strong and PSA/SLAs are generally poorly negotiated
    Terrible staff retention and choice of new hires often very poor
    Aggressive and rude behaviour by management (and subsequently by staff) is only frowned upon
    Bonuses are rarely equivalent to what would be paid to a commission based consultant
    Generally very negative environment to work in - very very low staff motivation and happiness so very tough for managers
    Highly transaction based recruitment style

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that treating your clients and staff so poorly will eventually mean loosing all client relationships
    Most should resign - others should go on leadership coaching courses
    Understanding recruitment without understanding business creates a transactional environment

Great training ground and support

Recruitment Consultant (Former Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsThe company provides intensive training in all aspects of recruitment - from candidate and client management right down to writing job ads and database management. I have learnt so much here and the support systems have been equally impressive - from IT to Marketing to team support. Best part of this company would be its strong brand - it has helped open a lot of doors and opprtunities for me.

ConsThere is a constant expectation to perform and achieve targets - which I guess is part of sales. The company can also do better in terms of staff benefits, which may not be as competitive as some of the MNCs I have worked in before.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on staff retention and consider improving staff benefits - beyond just sales incentives and the typical remuneration. The company is already a leader in the recruitment space and would definitely benefit by being innovative in designing unique reward systems and lead the industry with a highly competitive package - setting high standards for others to follow like what Google and LinkedIn have done.

Great opportunities to be recognized for your strengths and interest

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

ProsSenior management is willing to let me delve further in my areas of interest because I repeatedly come up with ideas for something that naturally excites me. Colleagues may come across cool and reserved at first but they do open up after awhile and are genuinely kind people. The downtown Shanghai office is a huge perk - it's sleek with a view of the city from the 36th floor.

ConsIt takes awhile for the company to get comfortable with new staff's abilities and potential because we come from various work backgrounds, so turnover of new people may be quite high. But as soon as they are comfortable that you have the DNA they look for, it opens up plenty of opportunities, and these people end up staying a good while.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt wouldn't hurt to revisit existing incentive structures so that it better reflects the company's great values.

Working as Recruitment Consultant

ProsProfessional, Cool. learn a lot

Consstress, pressure, you know when you set target high, its tiered

Great first job; not that career position

Recruitment Consultant (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsAs a first job out of university working in a recruitment firm really does give you a great understanding of commercial sales skills, and how to be successful at sales. Robert Walters mantra is different from many of its competitors, it places an emphasis on the job-seeker and clients needs before that of the consultants i.e. commission. What this this allows is for you to purely focus on doing your job, without any adverse interests. Its a good lesson, as if you work hard, the rest will look after itself.

ConsLong hours- working in sales means in many respects you have to be 'in it; to win it'. If you put the hours in you will generally find success and reward; if you do the bare minimum, often you won't. Sales is very black and white in that respect and you can't take short-cuts. The position itself does become a little monotonous, especially in the current market / wider economic environment we operate in. Cost- low rates, low fees, highly competitive recruitment market with rate hikes, and often the appetite to recruit and higher not in the mind set. I found myself speaking to a lot of job-seekers out of work, needing a job, and not being able to find one- it all become a little depressing.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncentivize the junior staff members. A company is only as good as its employees. If the company is to truly kick-on and really enhance its global standing as the market leader as a professional recruitment consultancy then senior management shouldn't discourage entrepreneurialism; its should embrace it and support it. I found most of the senior management were very short and narrow minded, and wouldn't know what the notion of 'business continuity planning' was if it smacked them in the face. Most of the management entered the recruitment market pre-2007 when it was well, too easy to make money- then the global financial crisis happened. What this means is, management in play don't understand or know how to adapt to modern market conditions. I witnessed a lot of talented; intelligent graduate calibre professionals leave the company very frustrated- this was often due to sloppy management and a lack of support / guidance.

overall is fine

Prosgood colleagues

Consin-transparency compensation

Really grateful for the IT Team

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBoosted my English, dress sense and taught me how to work hard and play hard. Jeffrey Goh is one of the best managers I've ever worked with!

ConsIt can get stressful due to high expectations so your work performance really depends on how resilient you are in succeeding.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps have more soft skill training for all employees

Worked for Robert Walters? Contribute to the Community!