Rockwell Collins

Updated 29 October 2014
Updated 29 October 2014
3.2

Kelly Ortberg

Pros
  • work life balance, upper management focused on improving things for employees (in 53 reviews)

• At the moment, we have some pretty good benefits (week off at Christmas time) (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • Cedar Rapids Iowa is not an ideal area to retain talented employees (in 73 reviews)

• No Work Life balance, HR doesn't have the minimum idea of employees needs (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

A very good employer that looks after its employees

Current Employee - Senior Technical in Melbourne
    Current Employee - Senior Technical in Melbourne

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Large employer
    International locations
    solid markets with prospects to grow
    Services a growing market of commercial and military aircraft

Cons

Makes financial decisions on business ventures and closes operations that don't continue to perform. Can have a USA view of the world in the way it operates

Summer Intern |S|AP BW 2014

Former Employee - Graduate Technical Intern in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)
    Former Employee - Graduate Technical Intern in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)

I worked at Rockwell Collins as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent leadership, very encouraging environment. Team-members love to help you out. My direct Manager and the above him were both really helpful and patient. They make sure to provide you with enough training and support so that you can perform successfully.

Cons

Slow growth as compared to other companies
    The work pace is very slow

Excellent office culture. They shouldn't change it. More SAP led training should be provided

Software Engineer

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent place to learn and grow for engineers

Cons

Location - Cedar Rapids may not attract people to stay long term

Low stress, interesting work

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Rockwell Collins as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good place to work in terms of work-life balance, no expectations of staying in the office past regular hours. Coworkers were friendly and helpful and took time out of their day to mentor me (an intern)

Cons

Working as a software engineer I felt like there was not a lot of focus on using better tools -- for example, most teams are still using CVS for source control

Systems Engineer Intern G.S

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)

I have been working at Rockwell Collins as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The best reason is the flexibility of the positions. It is very easy to work around the company because the company is about providing avionics and software packages to the industry. So it's very easy to switch projects if you don't like it. Also, company is medium size which meant that it was easier to meet higher up management. As an intern, we met with the CEO on one of our intern meetings

Cons

Cedar Rapids Iowa is a very nice city, but growing up from New York City, it was very boring.

Great Experience

Former Employee - Undergraduate Technical Intern in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)
    Former Employee - Undergraduate Technical Intern in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)

I worked at Rockwell Collins as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

The management and projects were great, it was an excellent experience for a college student to learn about their industry. I always felt like I had someone to ask questions of and figure out the next step in a project.

Cons

Occasionally, I would finish a project and it seemed as if they didn't really have anything ready for me to pick up- I would have a day interim with no work to do.

A fast pace environment that demands high level of organization to stay on top of various projects and supplier issues.

Current Employee - Industrial Engineer in Decorah, IA (US)
    Current Employee - Industrial Engineer in Decorah, IA (US)

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than an year)

Pros

In the Decorah facility the Industrial Engineers play a very important role. You will be given a great deal of responsibility fresh out of college. You get to be a big fish in a small pond. Also, Decorah is a beautiful town and the staff are all fantastic people to work with.

Cons

This role has proven to be a 2 year position. Typically the Industrial Engineer in this position will begin fresh out of school and work between 2 and 3 years before moving on to bigger better things. This is likely because there are more opportunities for career growth in other locations such as Cedar Rapids or Melbourne Florida.

If you would like to improve IE retention in Decorah I would suggest either changing the role of the IE in that location to better align with the career growth plan, or manipulating the career plan to be more site specific. I find that IE's in this location take on more of a quality role in that we spend a great deal of time dealing with supplier non-conformances and rejects. In order for me to progress in the career plan provided to me, I would have to become more involved with operator load times, process flow, and other more typical IE related tasks. These things are currently not a part of our actual routine so when we submit PR&DP's we often times do not fall under the G2 or G3 criteria. This is why I am looking for opportunities elsewhere. That said, I have thoroughly enjoyed the time I have spent with this team and I highly suggest this position to any motivated individuals who have recently graduated and would like to be a part of a growing and exciting industry.

Great Company, slow to adapt change like many other big companies. Awesome work ethics, great midwestern location.

I have been working at Rockwell Collins

Pros

Large Company with many opportunities
    Ethics of the company unmatched in the industry - they walk the walk on trust, compliance and good business practices
    EXCELLENT product
    Recent, strong focus on non-linear job growth.
    Good, midwestern work ethic and values still prevail
    Trying hard to embrace diversity

Cons

VERY cheap company phone program for employees with customer contact
    Not enough people. Sounds funny since it is such a large company, but we are doing too much with too few. Burn out is inevitable.
    Still a good old boys network - have not quite actually been able to practice the diversity thing to its fullest extent
    Promotion to management based on being good at what you do, not necessarily being a good manager. (i.e. being a good engineer does not make you a good manager)
    Once you gain a prominent position, it is very hard to progress upwards, years and years of laterals after that.
    HR department and policies are burdened by our size. Very difficult at review time to have a team full of highly performing individuals. Managers are forced to apply a curve to team, regardless of performance. Very frustrating for many.
    Benefits decline each year

Add more people to non-engineering departments
    Try to move more quickly in employment decisions. It takes waaaaay too long to get people into jobs. (maybe not having recruiters who are contract labor and actually know about the company would help)
    Put people who you trust who have good management skills into management positions, then let them manage and lead. Untie their hands.
    Put people in the travel department who have actually traveled outside of the city of Cedar Rapids during their lifetime.

Stable, but bad for career development

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Stable. As long as you put in your 40 hours and do some work, you'll never get fired.
    3 weeks of vacation to start. Lots of days off.

Good for people in the twilight of their careers.

Cons

The TL;DR: You won't learn anything, the pay is bad, and there's no career development.

The long version:
    Rockwell's motto is "Building Trust Everyday". However, most employees don't trust the upper management. They constantly lie or misrepresent their policies, and exceptions are constantly given to their "buddies" or "mistresses". Whenever something goes wrong, a "fall guy" is created and fired, which makes for a strong "cover your butt" culture.

Promotions are rare, with the exception of females, who seem to get promoted as soon as they meet the time requirement (about every 4 years). After 8 years of experience, most women are moved from engineering into management. For the men, it's a "who you know" culture, and any excuse will be given to those not in the good 'ol boys club. My favorite excuse was "you don't make enough money to be promoted", followed by "it's someone else's turn for a good review". At a minimum, it takes 14 years to make Principal, but that's pretty rare.

On the topic of reviews, ratings (1-5) are given on a bell curve. Most everyone gets a 3, with the 5's given to females and those in the good 'ol boys network. If someone on the team is given a 5, then someone else on the team has to receive a 1. If you're a male and promoted the year before, it was an unwritten policy to give that person a 2 because "you can't be good at your job the first year". In most cases, managers know the ratings they want to give at the beginning of the year, and start building a case for it so they have the documentation ready by review time. There is an appeal process, but the employee never wins.

R&D funding is incredibly hard to get, and usually not utilized in a productive manner. Rockwell is incredibly reactive, and doesn't do anything new. Touchscreens are the big innovation now.

As for personal career development, forget it. Many of the departments still programs in ADA, which no one uses anymore. Some of the groups do program in C or C++, but their in maintenance mode, and most people do very little coding. The requirements are incredibly detailed, so coding is not very challenging. And most groups are trying to utilize to tools to remove a lot of the coding, such as Simulink of model-based development. All communication standards are ARINC or MIL, which is only used in avionics. In short, you won't learn much at Rockwell that can apply to other industries.

Pay at Rockwell is sub-par, with most employees at 80-90% of the market rate. Most people work at Rockwell right out of college, and then leave after a few years for a huge pay raise. The attrition rate for employees with less than 5 years of experience was 14%, with the number one reason for leaving being "money". However, most employers in the Cedar Rapids area actually pay less, which means you have to move for more money, and many employees with families are reluctant to leave. Most people leave to work for Garmin or Honeywell.

To raise their pay, it is a common practice for employees to leave the company for a couple years and then return, because new hires get paid a market rate. It's so common that HR has a term for them: "slingshots". It's well-known and almost encouraged. It's also common for engineers to take a management position for a couple years, because managers get paid a lot more. After a couple years, they move back to engineering and are allowed to keep their salary.

Last of all, the resources are pathetic. In 2006, I was given a Core2 Duo computer with 2GB of RAM, which was pretty decent at the time. Six years later, I still had the same computer and Rockwell refused to replace it. I also had dual 19" LCD monitors, which were great in 2006...not so much in 2014. I ended up buying my own monitors. Oh, and they just upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7 in 2013. Asking for a new computer, monitors, or anything needed to do your job is met with heavy resistance. I was told, by a VP, that "Yes, you need that resource. However, if I give it to you then everyone will want one, and we can't afford that."

None. I've actually had conversations with many of the VP's and Senior VP's, and realize that advice and feedback from the minions falls on deaf ears. They only listen to the stockholders, which is great for short-term but not for long-term. In fact, talking with the Senior VP of HR made me realize I should leave the company.

Very process driven, Cedar Rapids midwest centric company

Former Employee - Programs Manager in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)
    Former Employee - Programs Manager in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of training, decent bonus plan for senior management, good work-life balance

Cons

Too much emphasis on "in-house" solutions not best value solutions, very political internally. Very risk averse, not much adoptation of cutting edge technologies unless they are very mature.

Need senior leadership from outside Iowa for a change!