Rockwell Collins

Updated 17 December 2014
Updated 17 December 2014
3.2

Kelly Ortberg

Pros
  • work life balance, upper management focused on improving things for employees (in 54 reviews)

• At the moment, we have some pretty good benefits (week off at Christmas time) (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Cedar Rapids Iowa is not an ideal area to retain talented employees (in 73 reviews)

• No Work Life balance, HR doesn't have the minimum idea of employees needs (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

A very good employer that looks after its employees

Current Employee - Senior Technical in Melbourne
    Current Employee - Senior Technical in Melbourne

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Large employer
    International locations
    solid markets with prospects to grow
    Services a growing market of commercial and military aircraft

Cons

Makes financial decisions on business ventures and closes operations that don't continue to perform. Can have a USA view of the world in the way it operates

Great place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sterling, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sterling, VA (US)

I have been working at Rockwell Collins

Pros

Tight knit group of engineers (within your division). Everyone works as a team to get the job done. Managers, in general, look out for their group and keeps them informed. Provides a career development roadmap

Cons

Slightly stuck in old ways of engineering. Focus on Lean practices can distract from real issues hindering progress

A place to build a career.

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good salary, well managed company, good location, great opportunities if you're smart and willing to work hard.

Cons

Penny pinching culture is sometime "penny wise but pound foolish"

Stop trying to make everyone happy!

Great Company -- People work hard and work together to solve problems. Strong Customer focus

I have been working at Rockwell Collins

Pros

Strong future, strong values, good leadership

Cons

Matrix management can make things move slower sometimes

Excellent work-life balance, good benefits, terrible location.

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)

I worked at Rockwell Collins as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of training and opportunities to learn new things.
    Excellent work-life balance.
    Good benefits and 401k matching (even for interns).
    Supportive management.
    Good cafeteria.
    Lots of interest groups.

Cons

Terrible locations. (Cedar Rapids, Iowa)
    Very little vertical movement (management tends to be old men who stay forever).
    Dingy working environment, outdated, etc.
    Commercial area nearby is lacking in restaurants and culture.
    Below average pay.

Allow people to move into job functions more easily. I felt slightly stuck in one business unit and location. This is the reason I didn't come back, along with location.

Updated Status

Current Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Communication appears to be getting better, I admit we were in a bit of a slump.

Cons

2% pay raises don't seem to be very excting

If you are going to reward people for work beyond that which they normally do, then by all means reward them. There is still an issue with Friends hiring Friends and family. Not sure where this mentality comes from. Keep doing the same old thing.

Intern - it was pleasant

Former Employee - Software Intern in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Intern in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)

I worked at Rockwell Collins

Pros

Everyone was always willing to help. I got exposure to some of the highest people in the company.

Cons

It was hard to explain to a non-software manager why something he wanted done wasn't possible.

Set goals and stretch goals. If the stretch goals aren't met, that's OK.

RC is a large avionics company that is a great place to work if you like Iowa and the Midwest.

Former Employee - Senior Avionics Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Avionics Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- RC is a great place to work with lots of opportunities to grow and move around to find your niche, assuming that you have an idea of where you'd like that niche to be.
    - RC is great at addressing tangible employee concerns like salary, benefits, recognition, rewards, titles, banding structures, promotions, and movement within the company.
    - My team and immediate co-workers were great and I not only could work with them, I enjoyed it. This included my boss, who I felt was the best boss in our department, and maybe the larger portion of the company. Great management is everything!
    - I felt I was fairly compensated at RC.
    - My manager often recognized and rewarded me for my efforts.
    - There is lots of opportunity to grow at RC, including continuing education, as long as you know where you want to grow to.
    - RC's benefits are still the best I've seen. 3 weeks vacation starting, a week of plant shut-down over Christmas, a sick day policy of "stay home, don't get us sick" that doesn't dip into your PTO, reasonable healthcare and dental, and 401k with matching and full vesting after 3 years.
    - No restrictions on lateral movement w/i the company.

Cons

- Management does not seem to be able to address non-tangible employee concerns and desires, such as workplace environment, engagement, challenges, and customized development.
    - May not be windows in your work area. Certain work areas are pretty drab and not overly pleasant to work in.
    - Bathrooms are not desirable.
    - Excluding the last "all hands" company meeting that I attended (which surprised me as being different), every time I heard upper management speak about our competitors, it was in a negative light vs a respectful light. RC is way too confident in their legacy. This was disappointing to me as I have/had significant previous experience with some of our competitors products, and enjoyed those products. I respected our competitors and looked at the prospect of building something better as a worthy challenge and an opportunity to improve the industry and aviation as a whole (not as an opportunity to secure a section of the market for higher profit margins).
    - When RC wants to compete with a competitor in an arena that is outside of their comfort zone and "bread and butter" experience, they don't necessarily change their approach and thought process to the product and issues that arise in development.

- Manage your customer and create true product lines that support the RC brand. Customization is a reality of avionics, especially the air transport industry, but too much and constant customization and changes make staying on budget and on schedule a difficult reality to meet. Extreme customization also doesn't necessarily support recognition of RC products.
    - Reduce the layers of management and upper management. There are so many managers and so many re-orgs that it becomes meaningless to the engineers doing the work. If re-orgs are meaningless to the engineers, they don't feel connected to the overall mission of their program or the company.
    - Hire outside industry professionals and leaders into upper management that aren't obviously part of the "good 'ol boys" club. Engineers and pilots want to look up to their management in terms of not only their engineering/aviation education and tenure with RC, but also their hands-on and in-the-field engineering and flight experience. Commercial and corporate pilots with aeronautical, electrical, mechanical, etc. engineering experience outside of the inner RC circle would be ideal and bring fresh ideas into the pot to challenge the legacy status quo.
    - Find a way to address and focus on the non-tangible desires of employees, that being workplace environment, engagement, challenge, development and overall happiness. Requiring mandatory "career development" meetings with a direct supervisor, but no plan of what those meetings are supposed to accomplish is not career development.
    - Create a career development assistance group within HR that has vast knowledge of RC, their products, customers, and groups/organizations within the company. The purpose of this group would be to focus on and help individual employees with their career development. Some employees know that they want to get an MBA and become a project manager. In this case, all they need is education assistance, and support from the management to work their way up. But some employees have less traditional or more general interests, and need someone to help them brainstorm of where they might best fit in, in the long run. I made several attempts during my time at RC to seek out leaders in groups that I was interested in, but received little support in terms of letting me know what potential roles might be available, but more importantly, possible. Also, it would be nice if an employee has interest in a specific group, but the group has no current open recs, that their interest in that group could be captured and monitored, so they could be alerted to potential openings vs constantly scouring the career sight for any open positions, bugging busy managers, or avoiding their own work in hopes of finding their desired position.
    - Renovate bathrooms and work areas and add windows, even if only skylights. Certain work areas look pretty drab and can get depressing with old grey cubicle walls, low ceilings, florescent lights, and no windows. The bathrooms are just not pleasant.

My time with Rockwell Collins was informative, and helped improve my professional image

Current Employee - Technical Co-Op in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)
    Current Employee - Technical Co-Op in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)

I have been working at Rockwell Collins as an intern (more than 3 years)

Pros

Large variety of work
    Lots of work with other people

Cons

Internal communication from management to employees is lacking
    Benefits and compensation is sub-par
    Focus is not on the individual

Benefits need to be upgraded
    Turnover is only going to get worse with time

Changing Workplace

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in West Melbourne, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in West Melbourne, FL (US)

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Engineering is the new focus of the CEO. After years of salary suppression they are rewarding those that have been high performers and allowing them to make a difference.

Cons

Outdated policies and procedures that limit creativity and success.

Adopt industry standards for development. Eliminate matrix management. Cross functional teams are proven to be way for successful.