Rockwell Collins
www.rockwellcollins.com Cedar Rapids, IA 5000+ Employees

Rockwell Collins Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Kelly Ortberg

Pros:
  • "A non-trivial number projects in maintenance that provide good work-life balance"
    in 39 reviews
  • "the cost of living in cedar rapids in iowa is very less so its a advantage"
    in 33 reviews
Cons:
  • "Living in Cedar Rapids should move headquarters to St Louis"
    in 58 reviews
  • "No much work life balance - Have to spend nights at the office"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A very good employer that looks after its employees

Senior Technical (Current Employee)
Melbourne

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time for more than 10 years

ProsLarge employer
International locations
solid markets with prospects to grow
Services a growing market of commercial and military aircraft

ConsMakes financial decisions on business ventures and closes operations that don't continue to perform. Can have a USA view of the world in the way it operates

Good place to start and develop; benefits reasonable

Software Engineer II (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIf you get a chance to work in a small team, then you will have the best experience. The experienced engineers are very nice and like to share their knowledge.
Work-life balance is good I would say; once you learn about your job the workload is reasonable unless you are close to some deadlines then you might have to work extra hours.
Leaves and vacation benefits are great compared to other companies I have heard about; but those are now changing.
Education assistance is great !! you get to spend 10 to 15K on your higher education which is awesome if you want to do Masters or MBA.
Being close to Iowa City it is a great place to work and do MBA from one of the best business colleges at University of Iowa.

ConsConservative in their processes and not very open to change or new way of doing things. Tried an tested is always preferred
Promotions in certain dept. especially in your first 5-7 years can be hard to get
Within a certain job, once you become good at something you will always get the same type of work or on the same product; for this you might have to move somewhere else within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake moving within the company more easy and anonymous
Improve the work environment please... we spend almost half of our day here so having a good environment or office areas is important if you want your employees to spend more time at work and enjoy their jobs.

Great company to work for

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time

Prossolid leadership, strategic focus, laid back culture

Consexcessive governance and frequent job rotation

Good Company

Mechanical Design Engineer (Current Employee)
Cedar Rapids, IA (US)

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time for less than a year

ProsTreats you well. People care about doing the right thing.

ConsI just started somewhat recently, can't think of any.

Rockwell Collins is a good place to work

Senior Engineering Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFlexible hours, reasonable management team, good recognition of hard work

Conssomewhat difficult to attract the best talent due to the location,

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate more opportunities for senior level engineer and managers to advance their careers. Stagnation is a problem. Do not pigeon hole people.

Great Company to Work for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe projects are cutting edge. The employees (workers & managers) are all friendly and helpful. The site I was at products Heads Up Displays for commercial & Military aircrafts and Helmet Mounted Displays for Military.

ConsThe only con I can thing of is that the Management can be slow to disseminate info from upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementA steadier flow of info down the ranks.

Good OCM practice

Organizational Change (Former Employee)
Cedar Rapids, IA (US)

I worked at Rockwell Collins as a contractor for less than a year

ProsThe OCM group has some solid methodologies in place. This is a great place for someone who wants to work within a certain methodology and apply their own professional capabilities.

ConsNot all of the people in their roles are qualified to be there. Need to ensure that well qualified people with high EI are recruited into the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementI had great managers that allowed me to excel.

Good company

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood people, good place to learn things, many opportunities

Consyoung management (lack of experience), location is less than desirable

Trying to Improve

Current Employee (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time for more than 10 years

ProsTalented engineers, interesting technology, overall a company with rich history.
Good amount of paid time off.
Salaries OK.
New COO, Kelly Ortberg is engaging his leadership to make a difference.
Move to Google will help many of our IT, and sharing issues.

ConsWork force is held to percentages, even though the company claims not to, being the sole drivers of the business model that creates the percentages, leaving the employees with no opportunity to make a change for the better.

Whether or not you are successful at Rockwell will depend entirely on your direct manager, and their common sense, or lack of. Some lack the courage to oppose bad ideas handed down from our Directors and VPs. Far too many Directors are willing to back their colleagues bad ideas, and overlook the opportunity to make a real difference and improvements

How seriously your ideas for improvement are taken depends totally on your job title, which is very frustrating. You will be asked for your input in Lean events, meetings, process improvement plans, and nothing will be acted on. After a while you shut down and decide not to contribute because your ideas are not valuable.

Daily office politics are exhausting. If you can sound like you know what's going on, your fine, no one is held accountable for a good job, or bad. I have worked with many dishonest people, willing to blame others for their miss takes, and it works!

Advice to Senior ManagementRockwell Collins needs to find a balance for the ebb and flow in todays economy and technology. Instead of the knee jerk swings we have been experiencing due to the fluctuation of stock prices.

Eliminate green spaces and permit parking, there nothing that makes you feel more segregated than driving by many open green parking spots to park in the back lots next to the tennis courts. It forces employees without the green space privileges to create their own parking tags, or drive family members cars and park in Transit all day undetected. Or at the very lest, please add one covered walk way from each back parking lot. I have fallen on the ice, as I know many others have. We live in Iowa, with more bad weather days than good. It's not the walk that bothers me it's the inclement weather.

Rockwell Collins charge back business model leaves it's internal departments starved and fighting for useful current marketing assets and materials. With each department budget tightening, all visible costs are under scrutiny. A charge back department can not share assets with another department without charging to do so. This practice ensures valuable assets will be unusable, creating self serving metrics proving other departments don't want or need these assets and materials. This couldn't be further from the truth. We have great products, legacy products, talented engineers, cut these assets loose and let the world know what we Have! Sale it!

Do you realize how many people don't know Collins brought GPS to the world? The company's heritage is a marketing plus, and should be focused on. Many of our historical assets have not been taken care of, or thoughtlessly thrown out in 5s events. Whole data bases to pull assets from archives and warehouses, have been boxed up and sent to a warehouse, leaving these historical pieces unsearchable.

Making some good changes

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time for more than 8 years

ProsReally like Kelly Ortberg and some of the changes he's making

ConsEntitlement expected by long-term employees and a "old school" outlook isn't going to get this company very far.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach!

Worked for Rockwell Collins? Contribute to the Community!

Rockwell Collins Videos

Rockwell Collins – Why Work for Us?

Big thinking. Big network. Big possibilities. Why does that describe working at Rockwell Collins? Because the first moon transmission was our achievement. So was the development of GPS. What about networked battlespaces… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rockwell Collins reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Rockwell Collins CEO Kelly Ortberg. All 562 reviews are posted anonymously by Rockwell Collins employees.