Rosen Hotels and Resorts

Updated Jun 23, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Harris Rosen

Good company to work for

IT Technician (Current Employee) Orlando, FL (US)

ProsI believe the benefits are fair for the area. Overall everyone around here is very nice, and I do believe Mr. Rosen really does care for his employees

ConsThe pay is a little lacking, and the benefits have dropped over the years

I work at Rosen Plaza and it's okay.

Front Desk Agent (Current Employee) Orlando, FL (US)

ProsWilly Michel is a Manager, he's amazing at training you on the need to knows and he trains you until you get it. He preps you for just about any/ever situation. You have some freedom. It's not all bad at the desk.

ConsSometimes it seems like the Managers aren't willing to help to help you on certain situations and you feel stuck and they hate when you go above them to someone else without asking. Other departments depend on you for something that isn't your job. You have to deal with guest that can be more than just "rude".

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen associates come to you seeking help/advice at least TRY to help. Don't give a bad suggestion for us to run off of and tell to the guest.

Run like a family business, but you're family the owner doesn't like.

Accounts Receivable (Former Employee) Orlando, FL (US)

ProsThis is an easy place to get hired and start a career. Through hard or better quality work, it is easy to shine brighter than your peers. The culture is welcoming and warm from the start, making you feel like part of a family. As with most places I have worked, the company's legacy and beginnings are inspirational and motivational through the first years. Health insurance is cheap compared to other companies.

ConsThere is often little room for advancement. Pay is uncomfortably lower in all departments than industry averages. Management is deeply rooted and most in charge have been with the company for ten or even twenty years. This is bad for the adoption of new ideas or dynamic corporate strategies. They would rather promote a moldable yes-man who can cut costs than someone who could make the business run better.

The culture has created an overwhelming feeling of resentment as more and more is asked of you for less rewards. For example, the company cut back bonuses, raises and benefits each time they expanded and during each economic downturn. They also cut back employee conveniences like breakfast in the cafeteria (even though you had to pay for what you ate). When business returned and profits recovered, benefits and bonuses never came back, neither did breakfast and raises we're cut in half. Health coverage is questionable because your only choice is to visit the Rosen-owned medical center.

Finally, the entire company is run on horribly unreliable software. From reservations to accounting to convention planning, this software costs Rosen more money, man hours, guest and client recoveries than anything else under his roof. Every department relies on it to function. I have worked for many big companies that are stuck in this same situation. To be better, you can't be the same as everyone else.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut costs with better and more efficient practices, not cheaper and less effective ones. Look to promote people who can challenge current methods, not just those who can follow the same outdated procedures. Reward performance, passion and creativity at every level. Pay attention to the inefficiencies in every required employee action; there are hundreds of unnecessary cost drivers in almost every employee's daily routine.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Company

Engineering Manager (Current Employee) Orlando, FL (US)

ProsGreat hospitality/customer service experience
    Diverse team of employees of all backgrounds/experiences
    Fun environment

ConsRelatively low pay
    limited opportunities for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage your employees to be career oriented and create opportunities for growth

Food and Beverage

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Orlando, FL (US)

ProsThe only reason I'm approving the CEO is because honestly I don't think he knows half of what goes on in his hotels anymore. The big bosses keep all that stuff away from him if possible because it would affect their bonuses if he actually started staffing his hotels correctly or paying people what they are worth.

Cons-Will keep everyone but one of two people part time so they don't have to provide health insurance, yet schedule everyone full time hours. Why do certain people get insurance while others don't, yet they are working the same hours?
    -always understaffed
    -positions stay open for months because they don't want to hire someone, when the current employees can just pick up the slack. saves them money.

Boss that thinks he's God!

Cook (Current Employee) Orlando, FL (US)

ProsNone. Maybe the experience to know what it means to have a crappy job.

ConsThey play with your emotions and your paycheck. There no such thing as a full-time position.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a life! We are not your slaves, we are the one's that make you look good. Many times, we actually know more than you do!

Could Be Better

Server (Current Employee)

ProsHas all the resources to be better. Great associates to work with. Great money because it's a convental hotel. There were some incredibly smart and innovative individuals there who have potential to promote Rosen Hotel and Resorts as a world class hotel. Harris Rosen is a good man, and likes to instill good core values.

ConsManagement was terrible. Many people in management lacked substantial experience, but got lucky so they landed the job. Luckily there was a strong staff to make up where management lacked. Inconsistent money, if you're working on a tipped employee. Doesn't really give a chance for good employees to move up.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually hire people with experience, and not just base off of interviews.

Challenging Dual Role

Manager On Duty (Current Employee) Orlando, FL (US)

ProsGood benefits
    Work with great people
    Promotion from within and they are willing to train you in new areas
    Stable work environment
    Every Associate can feel as if they are positively impacting the business
    Mr. Rosen makes it a point to show the team he cares.

ConsFew / Low Raises
    Low starting pay
    Little room for Life / Work Balance due to the nature of the business
    Flexible Schedules do not allow for one to plan more a fews days in a advance.

Alright.

Server (Current Employee) Orlando, FL (US)

ProsPeople are very nice to work with and the benefits and pay are decent. Work hard and you will be praised,

ConsIt is very difficult to get into management unless you work your tail off for at least a year or two.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet everyone feel as if they have an opportunity to advance within the company. And also offer a couple more benefits.

Rosen Shingle Creek

Front Desk (Former Employee) Orlando, FL (US)

ProsGreat size company for advancement.
    7 properties within 30 minutes of each other -- no relocation necessary.
    Many employees have grown with the company so you feel like your a part of a large family.
    Extensive training and communication.
    Your work is rewarded in many ways: There is a Commitment to Excellence Award (monthly?) and you can also become a Service Coach for your department where you are part of a focus group and to bring new ideas to management.

ConsI had to move and Rosen hotels was only in the Orlando area.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up! I have fond memories of Rosen Hotels.

Worked for Rosen Hotels and Resorts? Contribute to the Community!