Ross Stores Reviews

2.7
1,336 Reviews
Ross Stores CEO Barbara Rentler
Barbara Rentler

Pros
  • 20% discount throughout the year, with periods during which 40% discount is given to associates (in 75 reviews)

• The employee discount is great on already reasonably priced merchandise (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • The annual raises are so small that minimum wage increases null them (in 85 reviews)

• The work-life balance is a hassle because they basically do not give you as much time away as you would like (in 26 reviews)

1. Featured Review

This job is great.

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at Ross Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They're very flexible especially if you have another job and happen to be a college student.
    Managers are friendly
    Co workers are friendly
    Clean store
    We get safety parties which have free food, that's always a plus.

Cons

Lack of hours and pay are the only cons I can think of. After the holiday season the hours are cut back a lot, and for what we deal with , customer wise. We don't get paid enough.

Advice to Management

Let all associates be able to do overtime. Give us more hours and better pay.

2. love it

Current Employee - Front End Supervisor in Keizer, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Front End Supervisor in Keizer, OR (US)

I have been working at Ross Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I never get off on time, and that works in my favor. Management is helpful and courteous and fun. Customers as long as you are positive so are they.

Cons

I want more hours, need a bigger electronics department the takes to long to do but understand the reasoning.

Advice to Management

Get more departments and a bigger selection.

3. Purchase Manger

Current Employee - Purchasing Manager in Columbia, SC (US)
    Current Employee - Purchasing Manager in Columbia, SC (US)

I have been working at Ross Stores full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It takes an incredible team of individuals to make that possible. Whether you’re new to the workforce or an experienced professional, there’s an opportunity for you. We’re passionate, committed, collaborative, and hands-on—from our Corporate and Buying Offices to our checkouts.

So if you’re ready to be part of a Fortune 500 company that’s growing —you’re ready for a brand new opportunity at Ross Stores, Inc.​

Cons

Employ better workers, recognize some of the store layouts

5. Investing Your Life in This Line of Work? Hmmm

Former Employee - Team Member in Burbank, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Team Member in Burbank, CA (US)

I worked at Ross Stores

Pros

The biggest pro is the discount. You receive 20% off of anything in the store: including clearance. Then they have this special time period of 40% off, which is the biggest perk for me. You have the opportunity to be recognized for your work whenever you have a shift, although it doesn't lead to raises

Cons

They do not respect your time. Or, at least, my location did not. Numerous times I was called and asked if I could be at work I thirty minutes. The scheduling is very poor, and that was the reason I quit. If you're a parent or college student, or even both like myself, I do not suggest Ross, because they WILL expect you to be there and stay over last minute.

Advice to Management

Give more opportunities to move up within the company, even that means transferring to another location. Also, my location specifically had an issue with scheduling, never recalling who wanted what days off, etc.

6. Don't stay long

I have been working at Ross Stores part-time

Pros

Great mix of music! Makes work a little bit better. You can bring your own music and sweatshirt to get comfortable when you're in the stock room.

Cons

Working in the stock room is hell! There are loads and loads of merchandise that has to be sorted and put out on the floor. A lot of work for a little pay.

Advice to Management

Hold people accountable for consistent absences, tardies, and bad attitudes. If not, them pay more. Customers are already pretty difficult to deal with. No one wants to deal with that from a co worker too.

7. Alertness

I worked at Ross Stores

Pros

Learn about security issues and learn how to stop them

Cons

Hours , people calling off, management

8. Not bad, really.

I worked at Ross Stores

Pros

I was originally hired as a cashier/customer service representative. Originally, I had a lot of anxiety over the position but thought it would get better as I got used to the job. It proved to be too much for my social anxiety, but they were willing to work with me and moved me to the stockroom where I was much more comfortable. I could tell one of the managers wasn't too happy about it, but the manager of the stockroom was thrilled to have me.

If you work at Ross, you can expect to be busy from the time your shift starts to the time it ends. So if you want a fast-paced retail job, this is the one for you. I quite liked always being busy.

Cons

They were SO stingy with their hours. Even as a cashier, where you supposedly got the most, I was lucky to work more than 10 hours a week. As a stockroom employee, sometimes your shifts would get canceled too. I know it was a minimum wage job, but even then, I hardly made anything.

The amount of work you do is definitely worth more than minimum wage. But that can be said for all retail jobs.

9. manager

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Tampa, KS (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Tampa, KS (US)

I worked at Ross Stores full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to work at..fun filled family environment.

Cons

Store was open pretty late

10. Good for students

I have been working at Ross Stores part-time

Pros

This position is good for students or those with a other jobs and want to pick up some extra cash. Not for long term employment.

Cons

It's a pretty boring job. I'm just posting this to be able to access everything else. It's not a very good requirement.

11. Store Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager in Cedar Park, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Cedar Park, TX (US)

I have been working at Ross Stores (More than a year)

Pros

Ross has great people that make themselves available for partnerships. The company stays focused on increasing sales which is great for business.

Cons

Ross was a good place to work. I do not have any cons to post at this time. This is a good company to work for if you are looking to promote within the retail industry.

RSS Feed </> Embed