Ross Stores

2.6
1,167 Reviews

Ross Stores Vice Chairman and CEO Michael A. Balmuth
Michael A. Balmuth

Pros
  • 20% discount throughout the year, with periods during which 40% discount is given to associates (in 75 reviews)

• The employee discount is great on already reasonably priced merchandise (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • The annual raises are so small that minimum wage increases null them (in 85 reviews)

• The work-life balance is a hassle because they basically do not give you as much time away as you would like (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Development/Career Growth

Current Employee - Human Resources
    Current Employee - Human Resources

I have been working at Ross Stores full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Personal & professional development and career growth are the hallmarks of working for Ross. If you're accountable, have drive, and are a hard worker, you will go far in this organization. This company is very results driven and demands exceptional performance from both associates and leaders. In return, you'll have a great career path and be developed to your fullest potential.

Cons

Culture is driven on very direct feedback. If you're overly sensitive or "thin skinned," this isn't the right place for you. Work/life balance can suffer easily due to volume of work if you're not very good at planning and organizing.

Learn to celebrate wins more often.

Allocation Department at the Corporate Office in Dubin is a great place to start for entry-level position seekers.

Former Employee - Assortment Analyst in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Assortment Analyst in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I worked at Ross Stores

Pros

If you have a college degree and some part-time retail experience, then you have a decent chance at the entry level position, Allocator.

Cons

The Corporate Office has been going through logistical changes, presumably for the better. But there are some older employees that are cynical about the changes and always complain.

Instead of having the managers mentor career improvement, start a mentorship program by which people are matched up with management level mentors/mentees for the sole purpose of encourage and counseling on career growth within the company.

Working there was fun and fast.

Current Employee - Area Supervisor in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Area Supervisor in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Ross Stores

Pros

Coworkers were really as second family. Managers are really friendly. But they want you to do the job of 5 persons.

Cons

You really don't get your job done having to run and do many tasks at the same time.

Do your best and always ask for advancement training.

Great company, Summer Fridays and Bagel Fridays win it for me! Overall, it is a company that chooses to have strong

Current Intern - Summer Analyst in New York, NY (US)
    Current Intern - Summer Analyst in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Ross Stores as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Overall, it is a company that chooses to have strong balances between working hard and being realistic. For the most part exceptions are completely in-line for interns. The intern program itself really is one of the best out there!

Cons

Sometimes it is easy to get lost in the bigger picture. For the most part, people pay attention and make sure you are happy,productive, and on relevant projects.

Keep up the great work! Try to continue the smaller/medium sized company mentality that has somehow/miraculously been able to be preserved

an okay place if you are looking for a side job or maybe your first job for extra cash

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in North Myrtle Beach, Horry, SC (US)
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in North Myrtle Beach, Horry, SC (US)

I have been working at Ross Stores

Pros

Managers are nice (at least at my store), flexible hours, easy to get time off, not a very difficult job, and employee discount is good.

Cons

store is always understaffed, received very little training and pretty much just learned everything on my own. high employee turn over rate. practically everyone working at my store has been there less than a year.

talk to your bosses about a better training program, and work on keeping employees. also work on staffing your stores adequately.

no benefits, no respect

Current Employee - Shift Worker in Colorado Springs, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Shift Worker in Colorado Springs, CO (US)

I have been working at Ross Stores

Pros

nice co-workers,flexible hours,local management is very nice and works alongside regular employees pitching in

Cons

top management doesn't care about employees

value your employees they make a company what it is

My favorite discount store!

I have been working at Ross Stores

Pros

Lots to choose from, great security, great quality

Cons

Not always in the right size

Keep up the good work!

Supportive management, opportunity for growth, good benefits

Current Employee - Merchandise Control Analyst
    Current Employee - Merchandise Control Analyst

I have been working at Ross Stores

Pros

Management is supportive and dedicated to helping you grow within the company. Offers a good pay compared to the rest of the industry and has a great working atmosphere.

Cons

Communication from Upper management is minimal and can be frustrating to understand why things are implemented.

I'd give it 3.5 stars if I could.

I have been working at Ross Stores

Pros

Cashiering is my favorite job and I am a people person do its easy for me to communicate with costumers. Scheduling is flexible. They work around my college schedule (unlike sears).

Cons

There's always that one coworker or MOD that has to ruin your enjoyment of your job. Let's just say there's one MOD that's not my favorite. The other MODs and Assistant/General managers are awesome. Costumers make a huge mess of the store especially on the weekends. That's the downside of closing. You have to clean and organize the sales floor yet its so busy that you have to stay at your cash register. Closing on weekdays are a piece of cake.

Back to that MOD. The rest of you are good but one of you need to stop abusing your authority. Help your employees don't make them feel like they can't accomplish things. Give instructive critism not destructive critism.