Ross Stores Reviews

Updated 28 August 2014

2.6

Ross Stores Vice Chairman and CEO Michael A. Balmuth
Michael A. Balmuth

Pros
  • The employee discount is great on already reasonably priced merchandise (in 62 reviews)

• You have a 20% discount card, and on special occasions that 20% doubles to 40% (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Minimum wage start off isn't what I'd like to be making working there (in 72 reviews)

• The work-life balance is a hassle because they basically do not give you as much time away as you would like (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Wonderful

Former Employee - Area Supervisor  in  Shreveport, LA (US)
    Former Employee - Area Supervisor in Shreveport, LA (US)

I worked at Ross Stores full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This company gives each person the power to move up in the company

Cons

team work is the best thing about this company

They value you as a person first

This job taught me responsiblity.

Former Employee - Cash Office and Front End Supervisor  in  Decatur, AL (US)
    Former Employee - Cash Office and Front End Supervisor in Decatur, AL (US)

I worked at Ross Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

I would have to say the best part about working for Ross was getting to know the customers. Each person is unique. I also knew every employee.

Cons

The cons working for Ross was the occasional trouble your have at every job. It was also hard to see people come and go. Catching the occasional shoplifter and having to watch them walk out the door because that was the policy.

I would have to suggest changing some of the rules. Organization in different areas. Training everyone the same.

Valuable Lesson

Current Employee - Buyer  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Buyer in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Ross Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

compensation. creative-outlet. results-driven. location. fast-pace.

Cons

company culture.
    promotions.
    archaic systems.
    old-school mentality.
    time-off policies.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great internship program

Former Employee - Buying Intern  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Buying Intern in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Ross Stores as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I worked at the New York Buying Office so this review is purely based off that office. The buying internship program was structured, classes were efficient. The buyers and senior management were incredibly kind and attentive. Overall, this was a great internship experience, especially if you want to learn about off-price retail.

Cons

The office could be decorated a little bit better. Fifth floor looks the best.

Great Internship Program, competitive pay

Current Employee - Location Planning Analyst  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Location Planning Analyst in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Ross Stores full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent, structured training and a very friendly environment

Cons

Can be a bit tedious and was too easy at times

Good atmosphere

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Myrtle Beach, SC (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Myrtle Beach, SC (US)

I have been working at Ross Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice managers, helpful co-workers. You can easily become a manager if you work hard. 20% discount on everything. Very flexible schedule!

Cons

Low starting pay. Would like a better training. Managers don't follow up on your breaks, kinda forget about you sometimes. Store looks bad, not organized and no one does anything about it.

A good stepping stone and something to add to the resume

Current Employee - Store Protection Specialist  in  Honolulu, HI (US)
    Current Employee - Store Protection Specialist in Honolulu, HI (US)

I have been working at Ross Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

Air conditioned, friendly environment and it pays better than minimum wage (SPS that is). The job can be exciting from time to time when there is action happening in the store. You get to work with your own team and there is plenty of time to complete all objectives that are asked of you during a four hour shift, so I have never felt rushed. 20% Discount, Sometimes 40% Discount.

Cons

Yes its better than Minimum wage, but this wont be your only source of income. If you have open availability, forget about planning anything. Your on Ross time.. Usually the Schedule will roll out really late in the week, so often when people ask you if you work on Sunday, you wont have an answer till Saturday night. Then when the schedule does finally come out it is "subject to change" due to shipment schedule. Even though recognition is something Ross prides themselves on, being an SPS, that is something you hardly ever get, unless its with the help of your SPS team. I been striving to become full time and move up in the company, but due to backwards politics I was denied the opportunity when it rose. When I asked why, I was told it was something I did a week into working at Ross. It wasn't Managements decision, it was someone else's decision I met only one time (corporate). They ended up giving the position to someone that calls in sick all the time and that I fill in for. I pay $100 a month for health insurance and it is the worst health care I have ever had to deal with my 26 years on this planet (Kaiser Permanente). Daily rating can be a grueling task if you cant articulate yourself well but I do fine at it.

With all that aside SPS at Ross (right now) seems like a house of cards. Last Thursday management called me to inform me I had to wear Ross colors (Blue and Black (not security attire)) because I wasn't an SPS to begin with. Mind you I have been working with Ross now as a Store Protection Specialist for about 8 months. The reason behind this is cause I don't have a guard card. My job now consists of me running aimlessly around the store trying to look busy being a "customer service representative" and if a private investigator finds out if any of the "former SPS" are doing any SPS duties, the store could get fined $5000 and each SPS would be fined $500. If this were to happen today, that means my next (biweekly) pay check, I would still owe at LEAST $100. NOT COOL.

If we do get our guard card, Ross doesn't sound prepared to pay us what all the others get paid that do have guard cards. Now everyone on the SPS team is threatening to jump ship as soon as they get it and get paid $17 per hour working somewhere else as oppose to $10.

Give opportunities to people who want, and deserve it. Pay retail associates better than minimum wage (they work harder than I do). Offer better healthcare/dental. Target colleges when you want to set up a job fair.

Chaotic at times but flexible with nice discounts

Current Employee - Cashier/Fitting Room Associate  in  Goleta, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier/Fitting Room Associate in Goleta, CA (US)

I have been working at Ross Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

Management was friendly and helpful. Very flexible with scheduling and time-off. Training was fair so you were not just thrown out there.

Cons

It's a customer service job for the most part. People that come into the store can be a pain, but that's retail.

Has Changed in last year

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Knoxville, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Knoxville, TN (US)

I have been working at Ross Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It is a growing company

Cons

Asks to much of people, does not care about people

Senior Leadership is bad

Good temp job

Former Employee - Store Protection Specialist  in  Fremont, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Store Protection Specialist in Fremont, CA (US)

I worked at Ross Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

I dont remeber any pro's really

Cons

its pretty hard to move up, atleast the position i was employed as.

give employees incentives of moving up in management.

Worked for Ross Stores? Contribute to the Community!