Ross Stores

Ross Stores Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Ross Stores Vice Chairman and CEO Michael A. Balmuth

Michael A. Balmuth

Pros
  • The employee discount is great on already reasonably priced merchandise(in 60 reviews)

• You have a 20% discount card, and on special occasions that 20% doubles to 40%(in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Minimum wage start off isn't what I'd like to be making working there(in 70 reviews)

• The work-life balance is a hassle because they basically do not give you as much time away as you would like(in 22 reviews)

Extremely rewarding

Store Manager (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsTons of opportunities for those who work hard and produce results. Upper Management always available to help and support stores. Stores within district really support each other. Store managers work alongside employees which helps create a motivated positive store atmosphere. I loved the family this company gave me!

ConsHigh turnover of lower store management due to low pay. Had to sell positions on growth opportunities which resulted in low experience supervisors who became overwhelmed easily. Store would benefit from more payroll each month because the amount of work required was not supported by what was given which meant management had to be cashiers instead of driving the business and focusing on employee engagement.

Advice to Senior Management$200 more per week in payroll would make a night and day difference in the positive outlook of employees.

Easy and Fun Sales Associate Job

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Bristol, VA (US)

ProsReally great and flexible management. Great summer job.

ConsThe people you work with might not be top notch, but they are nice enough.

Great!!!

Cash Office and Front End Supervisor (Current Employee) Durham, NC (US)

ProsTheres so much to do. You work somewhere different every day. Im able to use my experience and apply it to what Im doing. Theres great people and discounts. Very flexible schedules

ConsLike all other retail it can seem overwhelming but, theres is great team efforts so you get through the rough times.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining is key dont assume your employees know what they are doing inspect what you expect.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

its a good place to get your foot in the door to get more experience in retail

Retail Associate (Current Employee) Surprise, AZ (US)

Prosit helps becoming more of a team player, work with difficult cstomers

Consjust wish their were opportunities to progress in the job instead of once a year

Not a bad place to work, but it could be run a bit better

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

Pros- employee discounts
    - great coworkers

Cons- Not nearly as many hours as I would like
    - Tend to over hire and not give hours to the associates who have been working here longer

Advice to Senior ManagementI know you guys get busy, but so do we.. If you see the FES with a long line of people dont stand there looking at the clipboard. Hop on a register and help out.

Great learning experience

ProsNYBO culture is great. Everyone full of questions and growth. Strong growth company with good strategy. Good benefits.

ConsTons of micro management. The company is in need of more people, causing overworking with-in the entry level positions.

Its a good company to work for in management

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Durham, NC (US)

Proscompetitive pay and good support of associates

Consmicro managing doing make work instead of reaching goals quickly

Advice to Senior Managementhow to handle constructive correction

A pretty solid place to work

Store Protection Specialist (Former Employee) Bloomingdale, IL (US)

ProsI'd say the best reasons to work here are that the company is likely to hire you, has flexible scheduling, and an overall co-worker friendly environment.

ConsTraining could have been handled a lot better, I personally was just thrown into the water it felt like most of the time. When I started - not really any training and when I had to train others I had to wing it without much advice.

The work experience is very easy and doesn't take long to learn each position.

Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) Richmond, VA (US)

ProsThey are very flexible with your schedule it is a great job if you are in school or if you want a second job. They will let you go from open availability to working only one day a week and they will work with that. Also you get an opportunity to get a raise each year and the discount is higher than most stores.

ConsThe down fall is that you only are allowed to have a maximum of 25 hours a week. Also I feel that the starting pay should be more than $7.25 at least $8.00.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would say listen to the employees' feedback more to improve the overall status of the stores because they are in deeply involved in daily affairs.

Sales associate

ProsFast pace
    Good management
    Good company discount

ConsNo hours
    Other employees don't have motivation to keep store clean and welcoming

Worked for Ross Stores? Contribute to the Community!