Rue La La

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Steve Davis

Pros
  • Creative perks (Sample sales, summer Friday hours, Bagel Fridays)(in 11 reviews)

• Best part about working at Rue was the people, the cool office space and of course the sample sales(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely fast paced environment (I happen to like that type of environment, but not for everyone)(in 9 reviews)

• Senior management does not voice MAJOR changes to it's employees(in 7 reviews)

Cool Business. Cool People. Cool Company. (Contracted Personnel)

Contract Office Administrator (Current Employee) Boston, MA (US)

ProsEveryone, including the exec team, are very nice and welcoming. I am only one a 3.5 month contract and I have heard from others that contracted people can sometimes become full-time. Its a young company and its really cool to see it grow and feel like I am part of something bigger. Also people are very helpful and are very willing to answer questions.
    There are a lot of people that are contracted that I have met, and/or, heard about.

Additional pros of being contract/ working at Rue:
    Really get to test out the company and makes you want to work extra hard
    Get to participate in sample sales
    Bagel Fridays
    If you are contract in a position you aren't crazy about, it is easy to ask about other departments
    Telling people I work at Rue

ConsIt may be due to my position, but I don,t really have any cons. The pay is decent, there is no discount for contract, and, once again this could be due to my position, it is difficult to get more work and tasks..

Growing, successful company that is dedicated to improvement

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA (US)

ProsPeople are kind, creative, smart, and have character. Summer Fridays are great. There is a energetic buzz in the office. The employees are dedicated to achieving the goals of the organization and company. They invest in continued learning and education for employees.

ConsBe more modern and competitive with perks, benefits, and office/tech equipment.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower people. Provide more access to opportunity. Increase accountability and infuse passion back into the company. This will help employees satisfied and working hard.

Time for some "fresh" new leaders reporting to the CEO

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat perks (but seemed like the people felt entitled to them vs. thankful for them.)
    People are passionate about their roles and what they do
    The Rue brand is well-known; made it fun to tell people where I worked;
    Have a more organized (and better communicated) promotion policy vs. the one-offs that occurred;

ConsMany complained about the hours they worked; but not sure if there's anything the company can do about it; it's the nature of the business.
    Worried about the sustainability of the business due to the high turnover and bodies needed to get the work done.
    Company meetings were awkward and crammed into a small space and 2 floors. Recommend better venue to hold those. Maybe have them quarterly, make them mandatory? Rent a venue?
    Culture seemed very cliquey and people weren't very friendly. People would pass by in the halls and not even say hello or make eye contact to say hi, which was weird.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to management and to the employees: revisit your company's values and start from there.
    Some of the exec leadership seemed up in the clouds; would advise that they spend more time with the people; walk around, actually LISTEN, be more sincere, and approachable.
    Get creative on what to do for work/life balance; could help w/retention and minimize the hiring treadmill efforts
    Make everyone bonus eligible

Despite the cons and advice, I would still recommend Rue as a good place to work. They had many great pluses about working there; just wished the people realized how good they have it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for- motivates you to succeed and contribute to a growing business.

ProsEveryone works together very well and the teams partner together to get the work done. The business is exciting and it is still growing. There is a lot of opportunity to learn and to contribute to the business.

ConsYou have to be ready for a fast-paced environment. Given the nature of the business there are a lot of changes in order to continue to succeed in the industry.

great staff that needs better leadership

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boston, MA (US)

ProsLower to middle management works incredibly hard. the office culture can be fun because of the people. there is some training that HR team does and they do take their role fairly seriously. perks include sample sales but those really don't make up for the back breaking hours expected and demanded of staff. the best part of this company is the individuals doing the day in and day out work, the producers, the studio, the retouchers, the writers, the creative team, the IT team, the buyers, the planners, the shipping teams and DC.

ConsWork-Life balance is completely off and unsupportive of private life, families, appointments, illnesses etc. the feeling is that no one cares and it really doesn't matter what occurs in you life Rue La La expects that it is your life. 12-15 hour workdays are the norm here and anything under gets you shunned by peers. weekend work is expected, constantly being on at all hours and answering every email is expected. Upper management is fairly delusional about how to grow and strategize and they still treat it as though it is a fledgling start up. they hurtle through and have high expectations, telling people what to do rather than being motivating leaders. They set these examples from senior management on down the line so all managers adopt this neurotic sense of flustered work and of caring very little for the employees and how to produce innovative work by being motivators rather than diminishers. it's really a shame because they have incredible staff but can't get their heads out of the sand to acknowledge, celebrate, and achieve. In addition there are substantiated rumors that HR and leadership asked current employees to give better ratings and for them to write glowing reviews here to up their status rather than actually doing something worthwhile to change it which is disappointing in itself.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a leader not just a boss. you're draining your employees capabilities and energies by scare tactics, demands, and basic wearing down. Inspire your employees. Rue used to have key words to live by none of which were actually put into everyday use or practice starting with the senior management. You have opportunity, stop overworking and underutilizing

HR is a JOKE!!

Anonymous (Former Employee) Boston, MA (US)

ProsI have built friendships that will still go on although I'm no longer there.

ConsHR DOES SELECT CERTAIN ASSOCIATES TO WRITE GOOD REVIEWS FOR THEM. This started the last couple of months I was there. The rating was so bad, HR sent out an email asking a selected group to meet in a conference room. There they asked to write a positive review to bring the numbers up. Hence, all of the positive review you're seeing. This is an example of how calculating and manipulating HR is.

The Creative and HR team are made of high school, cady females. Both teams function off of emotion instead of facts. Very passive aggressive attitude.

When you approach HR with an issue (feeling you are free to speak candidly and within a safe environment), HR does nothing to help the issue. In fact, they do nothing about at all. They are there to simply protect the managers. The HR team is the source of the negative attitude. They talk unprofessionally about their associates. Because it's an open area, you can catch them doing it. Also, when you think something personal would be kept among your rep and yourself, think twice! They WILL share it with your manager. HR has a way of straddling the fence until it's a choice between the manager and associate. They WILL choose to back up the manager even when the manager is wrong.

My advice is to keep you issues to yourself until you can find another job if you're already there. For those seeking employment at Rue, DON'T. The drama is not worth it. There is no room for growth and for those who are lucky enough to get promoted, it is just a title change the company makes up. You're actually not learning anything. They longer you are at Rue, consider your career at a halt. Others within your profession grow at a faster pace than you.

Regarding the Creative team... they are young girls who are clique based. If you don't fit into their high school clique, they will make your life there a living hell. And no one challenges them. NO ONE!

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your associate’s needs. Everyone that is in management doesn't always no what they're are doing and should not have the last word. In order to build the company, you must first make the associates feel they can trust you have their best intentions in mind. Right now, you can care less. It's more than a sample sale and employee discount. It's about listening to a problem and actually trying to work to remedy it.

Slow at first but a really great place to work everyday

ProsBig hairy problems to solve
    Supportive managers
    Smart people
    Supportive colleagues
    Great benefits
    Awesome location

ConsSome lingering attachment to the old old ways
    Stagnant brand vision

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to each other
    Communicate with other members of the business

Bagel fridays and sample sales are the best part about working here. everything else is disastrous.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA (US)

ProsSome of the people are really great.

ConsThe company works at a sprint pace and with no time to breath. Everything is a disaster and everything is a urgent problem.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy manager doesn't allow our department to adhere to the summer fridays (get to leave at 3 on fridays from memorial day to labor day)

Cool, upbeat job environment

ProsGreat perks, great environment, great people, very exciting!

ConsDefinitive lack of internal communication & lots of unnecessary systems

Needs work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boston, MA (US)

ProsFashion forward environment
    Younger employees
    Bagel Fridays and snack closet

Cons- almost everyone starts as contract
    - stressful work, little pay

Worked for Rue La La? Contribute to the Community!