SEIU

www.seiu.org

SEIU Reviews

Updated Jun 11, 2014
SEIU – Washington – “SEIU headquarters in Washington, D.C. (Photo…”

SEIU – Washington – “SEIU headquarters in Washington, D.C. (Photo…”

SEIU President Mary Kay Henry

Mary Kay Henry

Pros
  • Work with some very interesting people (in 6 reviews)

• Great co-workers and good benefits (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • SEIU wears it's reputation for a terrible work/life balance as a badge of honor (in 12 reviews)

• No work life balance (you are expected to drop your life with little to no notice) (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Working for economic justice

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people, supportive work environment, budget for professional development, mentorship program, vested in the pension after five years, excellent health care benefits and a decent amount of paid time off. There is also an overall commitment inside the union to do big, bold things.

ConsThe internal politics can be extremely challenging, especially as you move up the ladder inside the organization. Too much decision-making by committee. There is also an overall lack of accountability at the highest levels of the organization, where relationships and favor-trading matter more than results.

Advice to Senior ManagementProtect your staff from internal politics. Hold all staff accountable to transparent, measurable performance metrics.

Good mission, terrible work environment

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsSEIU is doing great work. Many of the staff are fantastic and you'll have the opportunity to work on some inspiring campaigns. The pay is reasonable and the benefits are the best I've had.

ConsInternal politics create a toxic work environment. I came to SEIU because I believed in the organization but after several years here I can't take the staff drama. Several individuals take the bulldozer approach to get what they want and senior management rewards that kind of behavior.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't jump to conclusions and try to understand things before you issue orders.

Great place for Benefits (1199)

ProsBeneifts, If you have a family, then this is the place for you.

ConsLimited advancement opps. Too Laid back culture. Favoritism. You will get a job here if your mother or father works here too.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess micromanagement. Throw out oudated time clock systems.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible

Organizer (Former Employee) Fresno, CA (US)

ProsGreat shirts. Really make you believe in a cause

ConsBunch of lists and crooks

Advice to Senior ManagementLive up to the standards you attempt to hold companies to

SEIU Research: to work or not to work

Research Associate (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsMission oriented, effects measurable change in organizing and bettering the working conditions for low wage workers, and the people in this department are great.

ConsSometimes stuck doing the same remedial task for a week straight and there tends to be a general lack of direction - learning as you go type environment.

Everyone should spend some time working for a labor union.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsGreat introduction to the labor movement. Some very smart and dedicated people. Lots of opportunity to step out into the field and work on short term campaigns. Movement potential through networking and relationship building.

ConsInternal politics continue to drive good people away.

Training and job responsibilities are decently structured.

Lead Organizer (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsSatisfaction comes from mostly working with members and the communities. It felt like a great accomplishment to motivate working families to stand up for themselves.

ConsWork and life balance is poor. Office culture varies depending on who your management is.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue sharing the great vision but don't forget that salary and other benefits are equally important to retain good employees.

Great place to make a difference

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsInteresting people, chance to work on innovative projects within the labor movement, opportunities to really grow and explore new things (but sometimes you have to look for them.).

ConsLong hours, and there can be lots of travel. You have to make a conscious effort to balance work and life.

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff development is an area that can always use more work.

HORRIBLE

Anonymous (Former Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsGood Cause. Nice, smart workers.I came to this organization thinking I could make a difference. Benefits are great.

ConsMany!!!They lie to you to get you to start working, then they take back what they offered. My manager took credit for my work and felt threatened when I accomplished something.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs sensitivity training.

Worst union staff job ever

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Gaithersburg, MD (US)

ProsNice coworkers, hardworking members, convenient location, excellent work life balance. I am stretching to write anything else positive because the leadership of this union is an absolute joke.

ConsTotally devoid of credible leadership, both senior staff and elected. These folks in leadership do the absolute least required by law for their members. They hire atrocious people to management positions while stifling the growth of internal staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire senior staff that will implement a program your members deserve.

Worked for SEIU? Contribute to the Community!