SGS

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Christopher (Chris) Kirk

Pros:
  • "Can learn a lot of different methods/techniques"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Great place to learn about the industry and gain experience to add to your resume"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "No training or career progression offered as promised during initial hiring interview"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Traditional Management, less scope of growth, Low Pay, Retainership, Unorganised work, No training and Development initiatives"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Lab Tech

Lab Tech (Former Employee)
Perth, Western Australia

I worked at SGS part-time for more than a year

ProsThe pay rate and shift work (4on/4off) allow for a balance in work and leisure. Making great working connections and experience within the mining industry.

ConsLong Hours, Hard work, respiratory issues, mainly casual employment (easily dismissed without notice) and equipment malfunction.

Swiss culture at its worst

I have been working at SGS

ProsFriendly fun teammates, good to be there if you have good colleagues

ConsManagement freeloading employees, salary increment structure is non-existent, we're just numbers to them (if you don't like it, you can just quit)

Decent rate but no chance for advancement or training, safety is disregarded

I worked at SGS

ProsDecent hourly rate, parking but thats it

ConsNo career progression, will promise a move to full time but won't deliver. I met a few employees who had been casual for 5+ years.

Could be better and even bigger...

I worked at SGS full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGlobal structure, worldwide matrix organization, in case of proper management support, you can find your way to go ahead and to be promoted. Best in class! Support of good ideas. (If!) Diversified portfolio, omnipresence in each industry. Many professional people all around. Lot of available resource globally. Excellent high level corporate concepts, strategies and values.

ConsAt a certain manager level too many politicians. Old style ones are chasing short term targets on anyway (i.e: current budget, mainly in terms of LC) They are going to keep their chairs for few years, especially before retirement and as a consequence they do not take a risk to invest in the future growth. They are blocking to broadcast many good ideas to the upper level management. Immediate re-organisation even for interim business drop. Lack of synergies between business lines. Very slow decision making! (From initial ideas till approval/refusal). The structure is not well prepared to integrate the new concepts, business styles, ideas, but they broadcast permanently: think out of box! You can be the best up to a certain level for many years, but above it you can be evaluated on different way by loosing your achievements and recognitions from the past within a minute.

Advice to Senior ManagementBroadcast and implement the global business and HR strategies down to the execution level and keep motivation of people all around. Reduction of middle management as has been done cca 1 decade ago. Get rid of staff, who is living for internal bureaucracy only, when they should have a customer relation in their own position. Better and more direct top management control on mid level managers and better listening directly to the voice of staff involved in execution. Future talents are here!

I made a career of it.

Anchorage, AK (US)

I have been working at SGS full-time

ProsPeople, freedom to learn, part of a winning team. The company does alot to make people feel like they belong to a team. They take everyone to the state fair, the whole lab goes to a rented out theater for a movie and pizza once a year, etc. We really come together as a team. You must be a team player to have fun and do a good work.

ConsWork can be challenging during the busy season.

Loader

Loader (Current Employee)
Baytown, TX (US)

I have been working at SGS full-time for less than a year

ProsI would say I like how flexible they are with other things you have going on in your life. It is a very easy job, the hardest part about the job is dealing with the weather.

ConsThe biggest challenge about working at this job is getting paid more. At this job you basically get paid $17 for the same work that operators do and make $25 a hour at most places.

Not a good place to work

Senior Metallurgist (Former Employee)
Lakefield, ON (Canada)

I worked at SGS full-time for more than a year

ProsGood work ethics and emphasis on safety.

ConsThe company with least respect for their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe middle management lacks vision and have no respect for the employees

Low morale, long hours

Anchorage, AK (US)

I worked at SGS full-time

ProsWork hours can be flexible as long as you meet deadlines. Lots of overtime available if you want it.

ConsOffice culture is rife with gossip and favoritism. General employee opinion of the job is negative, which can lead to a poor working atmosphere. Management does little to improve morale, instead reacting with hostility whenever negative opinions or attitudes are displayed. Management will accept any short deadline project for money regardless of existing workload and staffing. Poor work/life balance in the summer, where the workload can force you to almost live at work. Consistent good performers taken for granted, average performers who occasionally step up showered with praise, and poor performers ignored as long as someone else picks up the slack. Very little opportunity for advancement.

Great team, terrible management

Phone (Current Employee)
Reykjavík (Iceland)

I have been working at SGS as a contractor for more than a year

Pros- Expected to self train, learning opportunities
- Great team spirit

Cons- Terrible communication between management and employees and external companies
- Chaotic office environment due to bad day to day management
- Minimum respect for the employee
- Lack of formal training

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide sufficient training for employees so they don't feel like they have to swim or sink. Provide an outlet for your employees concerns such as weekly team meetings etc

Good for getting experience THAT IS ALL!!!!

Dock Operator (Current Employee)
Corpus Christi, TX (US)

I have been working at SGS full-time for more than a year

ProsThey will hire anyone that can pass a drug screening, physical and will work anytime

ConsMANAGMENT IS VERY HARD TO TALK TO

Worked for SGS? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SGS reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for SGS CEO Christopher (Chris) Kirk. All 125 reviews are posted anonymously by SGS employees.