SHI International

SHI International Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

SHI International President and CEO Thai Lee

Thai Lee

Pros
  • It can be a laid back, flexible work place but that can also depend on your manager(in 10 reviews)

• Surrounded by lots of great people who have the flexibility to be creative and provide feedback to executive management for improvements(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Inside sales reps in Austin are offered 3 times the starting base pay of inside reps in NJ(in 8 reviews)

• Low base salaries for experienced sales reps so the financial peaks and valleys can be extreme(in 6 reviews)

Great place to get started - opportunity beyond

Inside Account Executive (Current Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsA lot of opportunity to learn about exciting technology.
    Potential to be very lucrative in a short period of time.
    Company and partner manufacturers work hard to provide a fun environment for employees.
    There is plenty of opportunity to find new roles across the company and across the US.

ConsIncreasingly challenging quota attainment - the opening position has a seemingly short shelf life.
    The number of new reps creates a challenging learning environment for new teams.

Comfortable work enviroment

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) Somerset, NJ (US)

ProsFlex hours, good pay if you sell alot of high margin product and services, friendly co-workers who are often very helpful. Women and minority owned.

Conslots of low margin products, some staff are in their positions just because of their tenure..

Advice to Senior Managementconsider everthing that is being said and listen all opinions.

IAM

Inside Account Manager (Current Employee) Somerset, NJ (US)

ProsFun, young environment. Great management. Ability to grow within the company. Overall good company. Gym in building is an extra perk.

ConsPretty boring work. Desk job. Could be on a really great team or could be on a terrible one. Mainly based on luck and up to your training managers discretion. Not much of a challenging role

Advice to Senior ManagementRestructure training program and placement procedures

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Satisfied

Inside Sales Account Manager (Current Employee) Somerset, NJ (US)

ProsGreat work culture. Laid back depending on your manager. Room for growth if you put in the effort to stand out. Busy enough so you're not bored, but not so busy that you're overworked.

ConsVery young workplace. Over 30 is overage in the Inside sales position (Entry Level). Low pay but equal for everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementJob advancement is too heavily based on time with the company and not based on experience.

Great company but terrible management

Account Executive (Former Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsSHI overall has a great culture and offers good benefits. They are also great about educating their sales teams with ongoing training.

ConsMajority of management is very young and unfortunately lacks the maturity level and experience to make the office a professional work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to keep professional relationships not only with other management but their sales team as well. It is hard to keep focused and driven when your management provides an unhealthy and unprofessional work environment.

Okay place to cut your chops

ProsVibrant culture, people care about one another for the most part. Lots of vendor sponsorship and events which allow for networking opportunities.

Cons-Middle & senior management is very green in most districts/regions
    -Metrics are prioritized over sales results
    -Not enough "selling time" due to manditory office days and other events/activities unrelated to actually selling product/solutions to customers.
    -Lots of "hand-holding" versus given the tools to succeed and being treated as an adult.
    -Unless you live in Austin or NJ, limited opportunity for career progression
    -Culture of 'working 24x7'. Not being responsive to email while on vacation is frowned upon which can lead to burnout.

Advice to Senior ManagementRelize that sales results are the key driver towards profitibility. Too many 'flavor of the week' type campaigns which distract focus from key objectives of which the campaigns should be ancillary to.

Young, fun culture.

Inside Sales Account Manager (Former Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsGreat energy. Young professionals. Parties and events paid for by vendors. Fun place to work.

ConsRidiculous cold calling. If you are an IAE, you are worthless and replaceable (and treated as so)...

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise salaries of IAE's and invest in their success instead of giving up on them and replacing them with fresh meat.

Experienced professionals beware!

Sales Support (Current Employee) Somerset, NJ (US)

ProsWoman owned company, pregnant woman friendly. Free reserved parking ; just get prego.
    -Commons area has added games like Dave and Busters for you to enjoy.
    -A Gym and classes you can take.

ConsNo growth, No or little raise, Company grew too fast and got too cheap.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your business and employees better not just the God fathered people who started in 1989. Value and respect, invest in your employees. Stop being cheap, and hiring college grads with art degrees. Stop using DOS, for your internal system; aka SHOES. Become effective, use the products you resell for your own business instead of cheaply like referring to Excel as an ERP system. And lastly, stick to your niche. Investing in cloud business and branding it as SHI, is a terrible idea. Customers dont wanr that. Leave cloud to the pros.

Account Executive for almost 4 years.

Account Executive (Current Employee)

ProsGreat company who understand what it takes to win in the Reseller world. Would highly recommend SHI

ConsUnless you are living in Austin or New Jersey it is hard to move into any other positions.

Glorified Telemarketing

Inside Account Executive (Former Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsThere are a lot of young, fun people here. Also- lots of free food and happy hours, etc. They want you to believe this is a real job with fun perks.

ConsHmm, where to begin. If you are someone who desires a job where you can actually use your brain (maybe I should say someone WITH a brain...) I would reconsider taking this job. In fact, not having a brain would probably be helpful here because you are essentially a robot performing the exact same tasks as hundreds of other recent grads. This means cold calling at least 50 companies a day WHO DO NOT WANT TO TALK TO YOU. You are encouraged to find ways to get in contact with the IT directors, honest or not. Did you get a college degree? You are probably better than this.

Expect to see a list every day of how many calls and how much talk time everyone in the Inside Account Executive role made the day before. Expect to get in trouble if you do not make these 50 dials every day. That is the most important thing in this job. If that is what you want in a job, good for you.

Maybe you could reconcile performing meaningless tasks hour after hour, day after day for good money but the reality is you probably won't see much commission for a year (so many reps have told me) so you will be surviving on close to 30k. Which doesn't stretch far in Austin.

If you are desperate for a job and don't mind being a glorified telemarketer then this may be the job for you. I really do not understand why this job requires a college degree.

You are also completely expendable. They are hiring 30+ people to fill this role every month. YOU DO NOT MATTER. Save yourself the trouble and get a job somewhere else. Don't believe everything you hear.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring so many people. It is so blatant that individuals do not matter (on that note it is clear why this job is most people's first). Anyone with a solid educational background and the ability to think for themselves can see this for what it really is. Stop micro-managing. Realize that harassing people daily with cold calls is outdated.

Worked for SHI International? Contribute to the Community!