SThree Reviews

Updated 31 October 2014
Updated 31 October 2014
3.9

Gary Elden

Best career move ever made...Love going to work everyday!

Current Employee - Trainee Recruitment COnsultant in Sydney
    Current Employee - Trainee Recruitment COnsultant in Sydney

I have been working at SThree full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The training is second to none here. Sthree values it's staff and back us 100%. They invest so much in getting the best out of you. The best thing is that it is organically grown so the career progression is within everyone's reach.
    The management support system is outstanding and they are within arms reach to help...... You don't have that in most global organisations!!
    I would recommend working here to anybody looking to get into a fun but challenging role where you are sales driven and looking for a long term career.

Cons

It's a tough gig if you think recruitment is more like hr.
    You need to be patient, hard working, sales orientated, organised and like a challenge.
    It's not for everyone but the rewards are outstanding and the feeling you get when making a deal is like nothing you would get in any other job!

An great company to start your career with

I have been working at SThree

Pros

Excellent training, great young and vibrant atmosphere, potential to earn a lot of money!

Cons

Intense! Competition is fierce within and outside the company, do or die culture!

My time at Sthree

Former Employee - Sales Director in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Director in London, England (UK)

I worked at SThree full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good culture, if you work hard you are well rewarded

Cons

AT times an inconsistent approach to management

Terrible Management, Total Boys Club

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at SThree (more than an year)

Pros

-Uncapped commission structure, with pretty decent payouts if you can stack your sales.
    -Great incentives.
    -Young, energetic co-workers.
    -Decent formal training (though the real way to learn is to emulate top billers).
    -We are moving to a beautiful new office.
    -The SThree brands are becoming more and more recognizable in the US.
    -This job will teach you to be disciplined and punctual, and if you pay attention, you will learn a great sales skill set.

Cons

-Upper management is completely disconnected from their employees; maybe now that we have had some turnover they will realize how unhappy the majority of us are.
    -They claim that career advancement is completely meritocratic, but several managers have been promoted based on inflated (read: FALSE) numbers. We know you didn't hit your targets, so we don't respect your authority.
    -Total boys club. It can be incredibly frustrating/intimidating/humiliating to be a woman on the desk. Oh, and don't think we aren't scratching our heads over the fact that there are as many women as men at this company and there are still an absurdly low proportion of female managers/directors. (As a side note, and overwhelming majority of the people who recently left were women.)
    -Management will endeavor to learn as much as they can about you, your professional aspirations, and your personal life and use it to manipulate you. They will figure out your paint points and harp on them until you produce or crack. With very few exceptions, these people are NOT your friends, although they do an awesome job of making you believe otherwise.
    -Sales is absolutely a numbers game, but the emphasis on KPI's can be wildly excessive at times. Hint: It also gives away the fact that you don't actually care about us as people, only as revenue producers.
    -The atmosphere has become increasingly unprofessional. If you come in drunk from last nights party, it's not a problem as long as you were out with coworkers (this includes managers).
    -I don't know where to begin with the CEO. Maybe I'll just say that the unprofessional atmosphere, especially as it pertains to women, probably filters down from him.

If you don't start showing at least some signs that you will take steps to improve employee welfare, I won't be the only one who starts looking elsewhere...

Work you you to the bone

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at SThree full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

training
    development
    good commission once you build up a pipleine

Cons

KPI's - INTENSIVE
    low basic pay

be more flexible

Not my greatest career move!

Former Employee - Recruiter in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Recruiter in London, England (UK)

I worked at SThree full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Majority of the consultants are great fun to be around and there is a great social culture
    Good place to cut teeth before moving on to a company that pays better and treats you like an adult.

Cons

Poor Management- some managers are just in senior roles because they have been in the business so long.
    Awful commission for front office staff
    Progression is SLOW
    Don't listen to staff
    Haven't made any changes for a number of years- certain arrogance about the way they work
    Churn of staff
    Terrible interview process - making candidates complete the same interview with up to 3 brands
    Can only attract trainee consultants as low salaries, commission and poor progression
    Heavily KPI focused- aware it's a sales role but some kpis are just in place to control staff
    No flexibility (Unless you'be been there 18 months then there is pre-booked flexibility)
    Arrogant managers

Focus on why you are losing so many staff and do something about it

Great experience, terrible management

Former Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at SThree full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The training here is exceptional. Many of the people I worked with were lots of fun, and the atmosphere that created was evidently youthful. The experience gained from this job, is invaluable, on many levels, and will take you far in your next role - given you stick with it for long enough to be able to use it usefully.

Cons

Along with a youthful atmosphere, came pettiness and unsavoury, childish behaviour. Work-life balance was non-existent, and any attempt to have some was often looked upon with disdain by senior management. The management structure meant that people who were good billers, often automatically became managers - the two do not necessarily go hand in hand. The career pathways are limited and stringent. Be prepared to go into a full dog-eat-dog environment.

dba

Current Employee - Database Administrator in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Database Administrator in London, England (UK)

I have been working at SThree full-time (less than an year)

Pros

good work ethics, felxible work hours

Cons

low salary, odd work timings

Energetic Company

I have been working at SThree

Pros

You get to work with dynamic people that are excited about what they do! Great benefits, PTO, uncapped commission!

Cons

It's a tough industry to break into, and you have to become an expert in your market very quickly

Company should endeavor to value their human capital and embrace diversity and fair employment practices

I worked at SThree full-time (more than an year)

Pros

International career opportunities, great pay and perks for high performers. Leadership and work culture that believed in working hard and play even harder

Cons

Promoting the best sales person that may not necessarily be cut out to be a good leader. Some what disturbing employment practices in compensation and rewards that may be deemed discriminatory.

Embrace diversity. Walk the talk. Stop with discretionary practices which are often being viewed as being discriminating.