SUPERVALU
www.supervalu.com Eden Prairie, MN 5000+ Employees

SUPERVALU Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Sam K. Duncan

Pros:
  • "collaborative culture, work life balance"
    in 11 reviews
  • "I work with great people within my department"
    in 16 reviews
Cons:
  • "poor benefits & work/life balance"
    in 7 reviews
  • "People are in middle to upper management positions without the proper experience"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Mostly Good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at SUPERVALU full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood if you want to remain in one position and there is a lack any upward or lateral movement
Will pay for your education if you remain there one year after last class is completed
99% of the people were good people to work with on a daily basis

ConsVery hard to move within the company.
Most people left and returned a year or two later for new position they interviewed for when working there

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow people to move internally
this will only help because you will have people who are well rounded and ambitious working for you

Was great - turned to horrible

Director (Former Employee)
Minneapolis, MN (US)

I worked at SUPERVALU full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat hardworking people. Good community focus. Training available. Interesting industry and well positioned in the industry.

ConsThe most confused leadership I have ever experienced. Thought they could buy their way into growth and leveraged the entire company to do so. Never believed that WalMart, Target, COSTCO would be able to take them down. Still trying to play in the shrinking "middle" on the retail side.

HAD a great time working here

Technical Buyer (Current Employee)

I have been working at SUPERVALU full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFairly competitive wages, very organized, great management, room for advancement and very flexible.

ConsWell, middle management or lower here are frequently on the chopping block due to realignments in the company to save upper management and their over inflated salaries. We all got a true taste of what a heartless place the corporate world could be when they nonchalantly told us our region was loosing 200 jobs but congratulations to these 10 people for their new roles within the company and many of them were promotions. We've all been on edge here for years knowing that this company is probably on it's way out. I hope they learn a big lesson when they realize letting go this entire region of brilliant and dedicated workers was a huge mistake for their bottom line.

Worked hard, Learned a lot

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at SUPERVALU full-time for more than 10 years

ProsExposed to a lot of projects, learned a lot

ConsCompany in a state of flux

Good until the last couple of years

Category Merchandiser (Current Employee)
Pleasant Prairie, WI (US)

I have been working at SUPERVALU full-time for more than 10 years

ProsAllow for personal growth. Decent pay.

ConsLast couple of years very unstable company. Entire region where I worked was let go. Worked there for 23 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest and share information.

All stars fall eventually

Superintendent (Current Employee)
Oglesby, IL (US)

I have been working at SUPERVALU full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe opportunities for years have been wonderful. I have grown and learned so much during my career.

ConsThe business the last few years has been unstable.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure to really investigate the prior trends before purchasing another sub-company. The trail often leads in the same direction if the same people are managing.

I enjoyed my tenure at Supervalu-good benefits, competitive salary bands, good management style.

Specialist I (Former Employee)
Boise, ID (US)

I worked at SUPERVALU full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSupervalu is loyal to their employees in that they provide proper training, and have a "wellness" program with lower insurance premium incentives.

ConsOverall, Supervalu took on too much when they bought out grocery chains and tried to run both the distribution and retail side of groceries. Ultimately, they had to restructure which cause a lot of hard working folks to lose their jobs,

Advice to Senior ManagementNow that they have restructured, hopefully, they will go back to the type of business in which they excel--management; stick to what you know.

I work so hard for that company, one week i didn't hit percent, and they fired me.

Order Selector (Former Employee)
Denver, PA (US)

I worked at SUPERVALU full-time for more than a year

Prosif you want money, and you feel like you want to work hard for it, this job is for you.

ConsSupervisors doesn't communicate right, with the employees , and do their best to fire you.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement just want their work done fast.

Don't be fooled, this is for Save-a-lot, the red-headed step child division of Supervalu

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at SUPERVALU full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIt paid steady money during the recession.

Cons- As an assistant manager you have no bonus, no incentive, and they have cut way back on the upper-level training (no more trips to St. Louis for example). You ARE paid overtime, but you can imagine how well that is received. So, you have anywhere from 45-50 hours of work to do in a week and it has to be done in 40 while hitting an SPH (sales per hour) of 250 to 280 (yes, Aldi's is worse, but they at least pay better).
- That means everything falls onto the manager's back. Expect to work 65+ hours minimum. With secret shoppers, customer surveys and a reactionary middle-management team that has literally never run a store under the conditions they are asking you to achieve -there is no room to pause. Work-life balance? Well, maybe if you are divorced and the wife keeps the kids...
- No raise in 2 years despite satisfactory reviews ("company is restructuring"), bonus taken away from ASM's. 401K taken from SM's -just resinstated. Bonus changed on SM's so you stand to make 50% less than previous bonus system AND it is predicated on how well the division and the company does (think about that for a minute).

Advice to Senior ManagementWhere to start.. not they they would listen. This has never been a smart company, and they have promoted from within. Technology-wise, some systems date back to the 80's if not earlier. Inventory management is non-existent, sales tracking is unwieldy and uninformative, company initiatives reflect the flavor of the moment and what ever fire that needs to be put out. And the paperwork.. so much useless paperwork that will get your butt in a sling if you are missing one scrap. And the merchandising skills... I could go on and on. There is no shining pearl in this sea of pig muck. Stay away.

Work your tail off to move up in the company to get slapped in the face...

Co-Manager (Former Employee)
Winona, MS (US)

I worked at SUPERVALU full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIt was a job that paid my bills (most of the time). The general manager (now retired) was for the most part willing to work with his employees about needing time off. I made some life long friends from working there. I was able to move up from stock crew to co-manager

ConsThe owner doesn't care about his employees, just cares about making money. I worked there for 12 years and moved up from stock clerk to co-manager over the years. I was pretty much promised by the general manager his position when he retired. About two months before he retired he informed me that they were hiring someone else. Then they promoted and transferred my assistant manager to another store as general manager. So it was like a big slap in the face.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like people and they will take care of your store. Don't treat them just like the dollar signs you see in your eyes.

Worked for SUPERVALU? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SUPERVALU reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for SUPERVALU CEO Sam K. Duncan. All 273 reviews are posted anonymously by SUPERVALU employees.