SYKES

SYKES Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

SYKES President, CEO, and Director Chuck Sykes

Chuck Sykes

Pros:
  • "Work from home opportunity that allows some flexibility"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Good working environment and the people are friendly"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "It's a fairly typical call center: a lot of people have bad attitudes and the supervisors are masochistic"
    in 9 reviews
  • "This company has a extremely high turn over rate"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Stay away

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Wise, VA (US)

I worked at SYKES full-time for more than a year

ProsYour feet aren't about to fall off at work because you really aren't doing physical work. It's all mental. The trainers are usually nice.

ConsThey put customers ahead of employees. If there is a major snowstorm and the roads are too bad, you get chewed out for missing. It's impossible to get off for NECESSARY DOCTOR'S APPOINTMENTS THAT CANNOT BE RESCHEDULED EASILY! I hate it for the customers who have to wait longer on the phone but sometimes, you just have to deal with it. I hate waiting too but there are worse things that could happen. If a 10.0 magnitude earthquake happened or if a gunman went on a rampage there, they'd still expect us to stay on the phone because 'our customers depend on us."

Too much favoritism happens. People who get promoted usually do not deserve it.

If you want access to the paystub system, Globalview, tough luck! It takes them 6 months to give you your login credentials. If you forget your credentials, there's another 6 months before they get back to you. Usually hesitant to give you your paystub if you have direct deposit.

Seniority is never considered. For those agents who mentor training classes and transition groups, the business usually picks newer agents over those who know everything inside and out.

For attendance, you are allowed 22 points for missing. That may seem really good, when it is, but when you have to take the hit on attendance instead of getting approved for the time off that you need, it isn't. I got fired for 24 points before other people who had close to 50 points. If you are sick and you have a doctor's note, you still get it counted against you for the first two days.

Quality assurance agents are complete morons, with the exception of a couple. Same goes for management.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more competent.

Customer Relations Representative

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Lakeland, FL (US)

I worked at SYKES full-time for less than a year

ProsTrainer was wonderful but didn't really teach anything. Very awesome co-workers and always having a party or something. Great benefits and promotes from within.

ConsHR and the girls that are at the front desk are a piece of work. The girl at the front desk always has an attitude and a smart mouth.

Call center

Customer Service Agent (Former Employee)
Lakeland, FL (US)

I worked at SYKES full-time for less than a year

ProsPay is above average for position
Training prepares you well for work demands
Upper management cares about employees success.
No other pros as far as I can see.

ConsShifts can be long depending on your client and scheduling needs for the client.
Servers used ran far slower than were needed for the amount of calls being handled.

Poor operations. No clear direction. Alpine operations & Sykes still operating as two not one.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at SYKES full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThere are no pros that i believe can be shared about this former employer.

ConsTwo years after the Alpine buy-out there is still uncertainty about who is running who. Too many Execs with lack of operation skills. Very ho-hum. Time wasted on non-essential reports 'that have always been done'.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdjust focus for true operations and not the flavor identified by who is in charge. Stronger Strategic involvement from the Board is needed.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Disappointed

A&F Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at SYKES part-time for less than a year

ProsThe only pro is you are working from home.

ConsCall volume dropped on the project that I was on and I was removed from the program and placed back into the job pool. I am now waiting to be placed on another project.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring so many people for projects at one time that way you don't have to remove people from projects right when they are getting comfortable with doing the work. I would recommend the company because I enjoyed working on the project that I was on while I was on it.

Worst Employer in the Area

Call Center Agent (Former Employee)
Fort Smith, AR (US)

I worked at SYKES for more than a year

ProsDecent pay and most coworkers nice

ConsHorrible upper management and site organization. When hired Sykes tells you about all the schedule flexibility and then refuse to change schedules. Seniority has nothing to do with moving up in the company and upper management and leadership treat you awful by cursing at you and only moving up younger cute women and women willing to be more than employees. Many managers and leads have been placed there by having relationships with the people in charge. Employes have absolutely no input or chance to give feedback.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo your jobs without shouting and belittling subordinates who keep you in your job. Stop wasting money and then telling employees raises are not possible.

Interesting

Customer Service Agent (Former Employee)
Sumter, SC (US)

I worked at SYKES full-time for more than a year

ProsThe experience and the easy hire process. Possibly the most decent job in this very small city.

ConsWhen hired for this position, the agents in the training class was told that desired shifts would be available and that was not the case. We were told that after a certain amount of time, we could put in for a shift change if we needed an earlier shift for emergency purposes only. I submitted paperwork and documentation, however I was denied a change. Upon the denied request, I voluntarily resigned. After I had resigned, my section manager informed me that it was approved. I was disappointed. Also, for all the work that is done, I believe $10 an hour would be more suitable for this position.

Good place to work

I have been working at SYKES

ProsIt has a good environment when working and the chances to improve your careers are good

ConsThe payment it's not good enough and some times working in there is stressful

sykes wise

Team Leader (Current Employee)
Makati City (Philippines)

I have been working at SYKES full-time for more than 10 years

Prosgood benefits better culture fast phase environment

Consno more annual increase given

Advice to Senior Managementcheck the benefits and salary your providing

great company

RSD (Former Employee)
Kingstree, SC (US)

I worked at SYKES full-time for more than a year

Proswork with you on your hours, and lots of schedules to choose from.

Conswith lots of shifts its lots of employees its hard to get good shifts.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore Weekends off shifts

Worked for SYKES? Contribute to the Community!

SYKES Videos

SYKES – Why Work for Us?

For more than 30 years, SYKES has been in the business of creating and maintaining satisfying relationships between client companies and their customers. During this time, they have also been creating gratifying jobs… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SYKES reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for SYKES CEO Chuck Sykes. All 254 reviews are posted anonymously by SYKES employees.