SYKES

Updated 6 March 2015
2.6

SYKES President, CEO, and Director Chuck Sykes
Chuck Sykes

Pros
  • Sykes work from home cares for it's Employee's a great deal in many ways (in 28 reviews)

• This company creates a work environment where you want to do your best and then some for the team and the company (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • I've never worked in a more horrible call center (in 13 reviews)

• Company events that focus more on drinking by and with upper management (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

1. Featured Review

Excellent growth opportunities for leading company

I have been working at SYKES full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company truly provides a quality service to its clients and is seen as a leader in the field with growth around every corner. Their Sykes Home segment of the business has so much exciting potential and technological support. The more I learn, the more impressed I become. I personally am working for the best boss I've ever had in my [15yr+] career. I look at places like Discover that put so much emphasis and personality into their quality customer service and i LOVE knowing that I work for a company that makes that kind of thing possible for our impressive list of clients.

As a corporate citizen, SYKES earns high marks with me. They have multiple initiatives for making a difference in peoples' lives both inside and outside the company (corporate Domestic Violence awareness campaigns, Veterans' support, Employee Relief Fund, local sites fundraising for local nonprofits, etc.) They are very LGBT supportive and work hard to create a workplace of true equals.

Cons

Lots of growth means lots of growing pains. Sometimes communication and technology bear the brunt of that. Patience and positive attitude go a long way in bridging those occasional gaps.

Communication is key with change management issues. Engage, engage, engage! :)

Customer Service Banking

Current Employee - Customer Service in Varsity Lakes
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Varsity Lakes

I have been working at SYKES full-time (less than a year)

Pros

full time income yet you need to check your payslip as it often contains errors which is not the fault of the payroll company as they only enter what is advised by Sykes

Cons

19 dollars an hour, pay is incorrect and takes quite a few pay cycles to rectify, treated as a number and the work itself is very robotic so consider yourself a puppet, high turn over in staff, dress regulations apply but are not implemented and I found managers are the biggest culprits, swearing amongst employees which I find offensive. HR can be rude and unapproachable, management need to respect support staff, they will roster you on 24/7 and there is no flexibility with the rosters to fit in with appointments, family commitments etc

Rehire professional management and focus on training and respect for staff

Liked my job very much......Customer Service is No.1 to me!

Former Employee - Westpac Banker in Maitland, New South Wales
    Former Employee - Westpac Banker in Maitland, New South Wales

I worked at SYKES part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great for somebody who is young & related or a friend, looking for a job.
    Great for a job until you find the right job!

Cons

Management/Team Leaders & SME (Subject Matter Experts, that is) are 95% under 25yrs. Lacking people skills within adaptability, maturity within leadership skills especially. Poor training. NOT flexible at all. Blame Westpac for restrictions & never take it front on.
    NOT

Read all feedback & take it on board.
    Employees depend on trusting the BRAND they work for.

A company managed by inferior people who will only employ even for inferior people..

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Sydney
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Sydney

I have been working at SYKES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My particular assignment was in was easy breezy, I had lots of free time to do other things (which shall go undescribed), but this pro is specific to me.

Cons

My experience was that they didn't promote according to merit. My businesses don't, unfortunately, but this company takes the cake. The out-going supervisor employed his old school friend --- who was SO illiterate he couldn't spell simple words correctly. Neither could he type more than 10 words a minute. The old school friend brought the whole show into collapse when the client (whose offices we worked in) fired Sykes and got a fresh team. The "old school friend", hired unmeritoriously, has been unemployed ever since.

Develop a culture of sensing talent and giving recognition and reward for it. Realize that hiring on the basis of friendship can cause loss to the company and, as I witnessed, loss to your own job.

Call centre contracted to Westpac Bank. Laughable place to work

Current Employee - Inbound Customer Service Agent in Gold Coast
    Current Employee - Inbound Customer Service Agent in Gold Coast

I have been working at SYKES full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Young, fun, group of people to meet/ work with.
    Learning about financial products/banking
    Its easy to get away with not doing any work as the managers are total airheads.

Cons

Management are absolutely useless and it will ruin your time at work. Staff have been underpaid for a month and it won't be corrected for months as team managers are very unhelpful. You will be thrown in the deep end with little training and no support. Team Managers will not answer questions, you are told to look it up whilst customers are getting angry on the phone awaiting a simple answer to be confirmed when you are unsure. You will deal with abusive customers everyday and when they ask to speak to a manager the managers will make excuses to speak and have you deal with them in other ways. You may not be comfortable with the work you are undertaking and you will still be trained into extra departments (e.g complaints line) without a choice and with no pay rise. You will be Never will be appreciated for doing good work only spoken to when you are being coached on how to reach unrealistic targets. Thing I have learnt most over the year is Westpac is actually a terrible bank so be prepared to deal with complaints and abusive customers. After 6 months if you are always well behaved and have good statistics you can apply for a team manager position where you will earn a massive increase of 50 cents per hour. There is no where to progress from team manager. This is essentially a call centre who has no real connection with Westpac bank.

Team managers are first point of contact for all employees. Hire competent people with management experience, not people with neck and face tattoos who are looking for the 50c pay rise per hour. I've never seen such a massive staff turn over at a workplace, it's clearly because the staff are just treated as numbers.

Humane workplace

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Budapest (Hungary)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Budapest (Hungary)

I have been working at SYKES full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Caring staff, the support functions are trying to do best for the employers, scheduled hours, not many overtimes. Feel respected and valued. Leaders are open to others' opinion and when they have the possibility to decide so it is good for everyone.

Cons

Higher salary (what you could say in every position and every workplace)

Sykes is just a great place to work – lots of young, hardworking and smart people in an international work environment.

I have been working at SYKES part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Sykes is a great place to work, lots of young, nice and smart people and the work environment is really multicultural. The management team is competent and treats employees well, your opinions count at work.

Cons

I can’t find any serious thing that is lacking.

Amazing place to work!

Current Employee - At Home Customer Service Representative in New Home, TX (US)
    Current Employee - At Home Customer Service Representative in New Home, TX (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Its at home.great training program and they make sure you have everything you need to do your job

Cons

You don't get dace to face contact w customers or people. Sometimes it's a little hard to prioritize working verses doing a project around the house. It is a job like any other you have to go to work and do your best.

None.i would say just keep making your employees feel like they make a difference

An organized company

Former Employee - Tech Support Customer Service in Pasig, Rizal (Philippines)
    Former Employee - Tech Support Customer Service in Pasig, Rizal (Philippines)

I worked at SYKES

Pros

Good training. Reasonanle salary. Humane management and really listens to employees. Has a very good performance review process and sets achievable targets.

Cons

Account security is always a matter for the employees. Also, working night shifts really gets you after some time. It's hard to justify a sick leave.