SYKES Reviews

Updated 16 October 2014
2.2

SYKES President, CEO, and Director Chuck Sykes
Chuck Sykes

Pros
  • Sykes work from home cares for it's Employee's a great deal in many ways (in 27 reviews)

• This company creates a work environment where you want to do your best and then some for the team and the company (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • It's a fairly typical call center: a lot of people have bad attitudes and the supervisors are masochistic (in 12 reviews)

• Hard to communicate with team leads, and have poor management (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Liked my job very much......Customer Service is No.1 to me!

Former Employee - Westpac Banker in Maitland, New South Wales
    Former Employee - Westpac Banker in Maitland, New South Wales

I worked at SYKES part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great for somebody who is young & related or a friend, looking for a job.
    Great for a job until you find the right job!

Cons

Management/Team Leaders & SME (Subject Matter Experts, that is) are 95% under 25yrs. Lacking people skills within adaptability, maturity within leadership skills especially. Poor training. NOT flexible at all. Blame Westpac for restrictions & never take it front on.
    NOT

Read all feedback & take it on board.
    Employees depend on trusting the BRAND they work for.

A company managed by inferior people who will only employ even for inferior people..

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Sydney
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Sydney

I have been working at SYKES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My particular assignment was in was easy breezy, I had lots of free time to do other things (which shall go undescribed), but this pro is specific to me.

Cons

My experience was that they didn't promote according to merit. My businesses don't, unfortunately, but this company takes the cake. The out-going supervisor employed his old school friend --- who was SO illiterate he couldn't spell simple words correctly. Neither could he type more than 10 words a minute. The old school friend brought the whole show into collapse when the client (whose offices we worked in) fired Sykes and got a fresh team. The "old school friend", hired unmeritoriously, has been unemployed ever since.

Develop a culture of sensing talent and giving recognition and reward for it. Realize that hiring on the basis of friendship can cause loss to the company and, as I witnessed, loss to your own job.

Call centre contracted to Westpac Bank. Laughable place to work

Current Employee - Inbound Customer Service Agent in Gold Coast
    Current Employee - Inbound Customer Service Agent in Gold Coast

I have been working at SYKES full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Young, fun, group of people to meet/ work with.
    Learning about financial products/banking
    Its easy to get away with not doing any work as the managers are total airheads.

Cons

Management are absolutely useless and it will ruin your time at work. Staff have been underpaid for a month and it won't be corrected for months as team managers are very unhelpful. You will be thrown in the deep end with little training and no support. Team Managers will not answer questions, you are told to look it up whilst customers are getting angry on the phone awaiting a simple answer to be confirmed when you are unsure. You will deal with abusive customers everyday and when they ask to speak to a manager the managers will make excuses to speak and have you deal with them in other ways. You may not be comfortable with the work you are undertaking and you will still be trained into extra departments (e.g complaints line) without a choice and with no pay rise. You will be Never will be appreciated for doing good work only spoken to when you are being coached on how to reach unrealistic targets. Thing I have learnt most over the year is Westpac is actually a terrible bank so be prepared to deal with complaints and abusive customers. After 6 months if you are always well behaved and have good statistics you can apply for a team manager position where you will earn a massive increase of 50 cents per hour. There is no where to progress from team manager. This is essentially a call centre who has no real connection with Westpac bank.

Team managers are first point of contact for all employees. Hire competent people with management experience, not people with neck and face tattoos who are looking for the 50c pay rise per hour. I've never seen such a massive staff turn over at a workplace, it's clearly because the staff are just treated as numbers.

Great compensation, poor operations management

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Makati City (Philippines)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Makati City (Philippines)

I worked at SYKES full-time (more than an year)

Pros

One of the few BPO's to give a health card even on the first day of training. High signing bonus. Hazard pay is very high depending on your proximity from the office. Very quick promotion.

Cons

Too much politics. Promotion may be very quick, but the higher ops would stall as much as they can. You may be a trainer for a few months, but your base pay and contract would remain as an agent for quite some time.

Call Center for multiple contracts.

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent - CLS in Milton-Freewater, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent - CLS in Milton-Freewater, OR (US)

I worked at SYKES full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fairly easy interview questions. "When have you failed? When have you gone out of your way for a customer or client? Name a time where you performed your job duties under stress or pressure and how you overcame that pressure, etc.

Paid training full-time Monday through Friday from October to December with holidays off.

Benefits were above average for employees at the facility in Milton Freewater, OR where I worked.

Many opportunities across many contracts such as retail, loan servicing, phone-based banking, internal management, support or training positions.

Schedule flexibility and accommodations. Once I was working on the call center floor I requested a weekly schedule of 4 10 hour days as I had a long commute from home to work. They were quick to accommodate.

Cons

Median to minimum wages compared to the employees of the businesses who contracted us, given the same job duties. Training seemed more intended to build a fraternal atmosphere among new employees than to actually prepare these employees for their job duties--at least for the first month. When employees completed classroom training and reached the call center floor for shadowing and on-the-job training it became apparent that many were not prepared for the actual roles they were hired to perform.

Team Supervisors are usually uninterested in providing additional training or support for their employees on the phones. They prefer that once a mistake has been made that you hear about it during a weekly one-on-one with the Team Supervisor. This way they can give a limited number of coachings and quickly terminate and replace the squeakier wheels for newly trained employees.

All non-phone representative positions seem to be available on an internal basis. Multiple degrees in IT and some practical experience still required for one to spend time making a name for themselves in phone support. Many people will not want to stay in phone support long enough to be selected for internal promotions or transfers.

Look at the talents or experiences an application brings to the table and determine if their talents are to be wasted in unchallenging entry level positions or if they may be more valuable elsewhere in the organization as is.

Don't change a thing about the benefits offered--they are very competitive and some of the best available in surrounding communities.

Consider more competitive training at the beginning to weed out the less motivated and less competitive employees as they likely always drop out and quit their jobs after paid training ends and real work begins.

Good.

Current Employee - Online Bank Teller in Lakeland, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Online Bank Teller in Lakeland, FL (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Learning banking regulations and the ability to learn about the products they sell..

Cons

Having to work night shift 2:30 pm to 11:00 pm.

None other than needs more floor support.

The most fun I ever had while working.

Current Employee - HRA in Fayetteville, NC (US)
    Current Employee - HRA in Fayetteville, NC (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is an effort to reward employees in small ways.

Cons

The work can be very difficult.

More with Less is not always possible.

Disclosed Malvern AR

Former Employee - Disclosed in Malvern, AR (US)
    Former Employee - Disclosed in Malvern, AR (US)

I worked at SYKES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most the people are like family. Pay isn't horrible for the area. Always clean.
    Great incentive program for money
    Involved in community
    There were more before last 8 months but these have changed.

Cons

Tons of payroll issues. Working there many years I have had over 10 payroll issues and few that were never corrected no matter how long I tried or who I talked too.
    They promote to many unexperienced manager from Team leads even to most recent promoted account managers they ignore so many simple problems from dress code to bad conversations from both agents and team managers. The new director promotes from phone contacts instead of talent for all promotions. There is alot of criticism with little recognition. Most the good managers have left due to the recent changes. Many of former employee's feel the same with this place. The HR staff cannot seem to help people with problems but instead gossip about them. They tell you to pre plan needed time off over 3 weeks then say this or that on why it won't happen. I like many others have left the company due to the incompetence of the management staff running this place straight into the ground. Listen to your employees they have many complaints however your "leaders" do not listen. Although many have heard about Blooms 3 million dollar embezzlement he was a leader and helped others not treat then like they don't matter or take part in conversations distracting in others. I would have stayed with this company for life however they have changes that must be made and it starts at the top. I could go on about many things with the "support" however it wouldn't matter. Sykes malvern has become the new Accent hot springs. To all thinking of joining exploring other options never hurts In my opinion. P. S NOT WILLING TO RECOMEND

Train your management at all levels or hire others. If you don't do either you will continue losing quality employees and to the new director don't promote new TM and AM that can't do the job at most all my peers will tell u they miss work because they hate their boss and criticism from you and Tm. All your talented management has left since July.

I like the actual job, but not the working environment

Former Employee - Customer Sales and Service Agent in Eugene, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Sales and Service Agent in Eugene, OR (US)

I worked at SYKES full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The training was great and the trainer (who has since been 'let go') was knowledgeable, good at his job, and funny. I enjoyed working with the customers and the products.

Cons

The systems went down frequently and I never felt like we had the support from floor support and team leaders. We were told sales were not a priority but once on the floor, sales was the primary (and seemed only) priority - too much pressure.

Be honest about the sales aspect of the position; floor support should make sure the agent feels comfortable that a resolution was found before moving on; get better tech support to make sure the systems don't continually go down.

Sykes

I have been working at SYKES full-time

Pros

The pay is biweekly which is great. They have opportunities for promotions. After six months of working there, you get a raise

Cons

You will have no kind of social life, or life period, outside of this job. The hours are horrible. Too many unnecessary rules.