SYKES

Updated 29 January 2015
2.3

SYKES President, CEO, and Director Chuck Sykes
Chuck Sykes

Pros
  • Sykes work from home cares for it's Employee's a great deal in many ways (in 28 reviews)

• This company creates a work environment where you want to do your best and then some for the team and the company (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • I've never worked in a more horrible call center (in 13 reviews)

• Company events that focus more on drinking by and with upper management (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Liked my job very much......Customer Service is No.1 to me!

Former Employee - Westpac Banker in Maitland, New South Wales
    Former Employee - Westpac Banker in Maitland, New South Wales

I worked at SYKES part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great for somebody who is young & related or a friend, looking for a job.
    Great for a job until you find the right job!

Cons

Management/Team Leaders & SME (Subject Matter Experts, that is) are 95% under 25yrs. Lacking people skills within adaptability, maturity within leadership skills especially. Poor training. NOT flexible at all. Blame Westpac for restrictions & never take it front on.
    NOT

Read all feedback & take it on board.
    Employees depend on trusting the BRAND they work for.

A company managed by inferior people who will only employ even for inferior people..

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Sydney
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Sydney

I have been working at SYKES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My particular assignment was in was easy breezy, I had lots of free time to do other things (which shall go undescribed), but this pro is specific to me.

Cons

My experience was that they didn't promote according to merit. My businesses don't, unfortunately, but this company takes the cake. The out-going supervisor employed his old school friend --- who was SO illiterate he couldn't spell simple words correctly. Neither could he type more than 10 words a minute. The old school friend brought the whole show into collapse when the client (whose offices we worked in) fired Sykes and got a fresh team. The "old school friend", hired unmeritoriously, has been unemployed ever since.

Develop a culture of sensing talent and giving recognition and reward for it. Realize that hiring on the basis of friendship can cause loss to the company and, as I witnessed, loss to your own job.

Call centre contracted to Westpac Bank. Laughable place to work

Current Employee - Inbound Customer Service Agent in Gold Coast
    Current Employee - Inbound Customer Service Agent in Gold Coast

I have been working at SYKES full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Young, fun, group of people to meet/ work with.
    Learning about financial products/banking
    Its easy to get away with not doing any work as the managers are total airheads.

Cons

Management are absolutely useless and it will ruin your time at work. Staff have been underpaid for a month and it won't be corrected for months as team managers are very unhelpful. You will be thrown in the deep end with little training and no support. Team Managers will not answer questions, you are told to look it up whilst customers are getting angry on the phone awaiting a simple answer to be confirmed when you are unsure. You will deal with abusive customers everyday and when they ask to speak to a manager the managers will make excuses to speak and have you deal with them in other ways. You may not be comfortable with the work you are undertaking and you will still be trained into extra departments (e.g complaints line) without a choice and with no pay rise. You will be Never will be appreciated for doing good work only spoken to when you are being coached on how to reach unrealistic targets. Thing I have learnt most over the year is Westpac is actually a terrible bank so be prepared to deal with complaints and abusive customers. After 6 months if you are always well behaved and have good statistics you can apply for a team manager position where you will earn a massive increase of 50 cents per hour. There is no where to progress from team manager. This is essentially a call centre who has no real connection with Westpac bank.

Team managers are first point of contact for all employees. Hire competent people with management experience, not people with neck and face tattoos who are looking for the 50c pay rise per hour. I've never seen such a massive staff turn over at a workplace, it's clearly because the staff are just treated as numbers.

Great Place to Work

I have been working at SYKES

Pros

Career Path and Commitment to Employees

Cons

Long hours can be stressfu;l

Higher Learning

I have been working at SYKES

Pros

Great Place to develop your career

Cons

You will feel in love with the company

Dream Job, dream company-Hands down!

Former Employee - Customer Service Gaming Specialist in Terre Haute, IN (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Gaming Specialist in Terre Haute, IN (US)

I worked at SYKES full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company has a strong sense of seeing each employee prosper and develop into the best agent you can possibly become! As long as you keep your supervisor in the loop and communicate, you should not have a single complaint!

Cons

There is no room for technological issues in this or any work at home position. With that being said the position can be very stressful due to the company's systematic issues on a daily basis, which can make an already stressful job-a horrible experience!

Fix the system issues and develop support or a more feasible window for employees when they too have tech issues due uncontrollable circumstances.

Great facilities, low or no increase

I worked at SYKES

Pros

Facilities are great. They have great processes and workflows that i am able to apply to my current job.

Cons

salary increase are minute even with promotion. Learning and development services only for managers.

Bring back the annual appraisals and not profit sharing.

I really liked working there!!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Grundy, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Grundy, VA (US)

I worked at SYKES

Pros

Good pay for the work you do, dress the way you want to except on days that important people was going no to be there you had to dress fancy.

Cons

After training I got the hours from 4pm to 2am. I HATED those hours, to hard on people during the scoring part of the calls.

Lighten up on the call scores, not every call can Be less than 5 min and perfect!

Great company with great leadership and wonderful people - Allows you to grow!

Current Employee - Anonymous in Tampa, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I love my job and the work I do. The team is great. I cannot say enough about the people - they are wonderful in so many ways: smart, hardworking, honest. Company leadership has solid plans for growth and they invest in their people! What's not to love?

Cons

I am a tough "grader," but I honestly cannot find anything that is lacking.

Keep doing what you are doing. It is obvious that you care.