SYKES

SYKES Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

SYKES President, CEO, and Director Chuck Sykes

Chuck Sykes

Pros:
  • "Work from home opportunity that allows some flexibility"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Good working environment and the people are friendly"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "It's a fairly typical call center: a lot of people have bad attitudes and the supervisors are masochistic"
    in 9 reviews
  • "This company has a extremely high turn over rate"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

i'm a freshman so i have to gather more experience

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Cluj-Napoca (Romania)

I have been working at SYKES full-time for less than a year

Prosgood team members, flexible working plan, avarege salary, moderate working,

Conshard to make a carier, not so much opportunity to learn, after a littel time it becomes borring

Advice to Senior Managementhelp the employes to gather more experience and to evolve in a faster rate

Love hate relationship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at SYKES

ProsYou start at $9, you can bonus off sales for TV, Internet & Home Phone and now if you add a line of service and if your surveys are good. They give an example of an extra $1,600+ in bonuses every month. If you want to move up they will do all they can to get you there. They have an "exchange" for employees in need where there is food and clothing and much more for those who need it all for free. The site director is extremely friendly and they all have an open door policy. It's mandatory full time with optional over time. You get an hour lunch and tons of schedules to choose from. They will also work with those in the army or in school.

ConsThe bonus off of sales sounds great but it is EXTREMELY hard. Some customers get mad, sometimes there is absolutely no way to offer to customers. And if you don't offer you get wrote up. They are more concerned about making sales then they are of their actual customers having their issues fixed. They cut the highest bonus that was over $300 down to $75 and below that used to be over $200 and now it's $55 and the lowest bonus for WTR (willingness to recommend AT&T) is down to $45 from over $100. So they cut that back a lot. It's a call center. It will literally make you hate your life. You just have to weigh the bad and good, it sounds amazing when you start and you are like Why would any one ever leave?!? This place is amazing!! Then 6+ months down the lone you are like, How do I escape?

Advice to Senior ManagementStop pushing so hard on making sales that it makes your employees want to quit. There is more to our customers than selling them things. I would definitely say look into changing the way your TMs bonus so that it's better for the employees and management. I absolutely loved my job until you threatened me about sales.

Leadership

Technical Trainer (Current Employee)
Fayetteville, NC (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time for more than a year

ProsOpportunities, friendly environment, good location

ConsMiscommunication, contradicted policies, organization and schedules

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is one of the important keys for success.

The people you work with are your only incentive.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Lakeland, FL (US)

I worked at SYKES part-time for more than 3 years

ProsSteady paycheck, competition, flexible shifts

ConsOutdated equipment, unfriendly front office, disgusting bathrooms, no appreciation

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice is to spend a week as a CSR or Team Manager to really understand your employees. You have no idea.

Great way to start your career, if nothing good happens to you in 2 years - time to move on!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Cluj-Napoca (Romania)

I worked at SYKES full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- great start of a career
- very good promotion opportunities, if you are really good
- very nice atmosphere
- nice collective (in general)
- access to lots of products you can test (depending on the client you work for)
- constant trainings
- nice source of income for the first years of your career

Cons- doesn't know about employee motivation, they wait for their clients to do this for their people
- doesn't care about employee's retention
- management is not experienced
- works through friendships
- lack of transparency

Advice to Senior Management- you would need a more experienced management, that can bring a fresh vision
- value your employees more, you let them go way too easily
- train yourselves and accept you are not perfect and you still have things to learn

Positive, but not paid enough.

Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFlexible work environment. Exceptional leadership.

ConsThe pay isn't commensurate with the job requirements.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the salary caps, promote faster, reward success and punish failure.

Good BPO Company for starters.

Technical Support Professional (Current Employee)
Quezon City, National Capital Region (Philippines)

I have been working at SYKES full-time for less than a year

ProsGood working environment and the people are friendly.

ConsLow salary and no annual increase.

you only got a promotion if you knew the right people

Bank Agent (Current Employee)
Lakeland, FL (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time for more than a year

Prospromote from within, salary, work environment

Consyou were only able to get promoted if you knew someone higher up, and once your a tenured agent they switch up the metrics and goals to try and get you out the door

Advice to Senior Managementstop treating your tenured agents like crap, and treating new ones like gold

Worst job ever

Team Manager (Former Employee)
Greenwood, SC (US)

I worked at SYKES full-time for more than a year

ProsIt paid the bills.

ConsPoor management from the top down. Everything was horrible. No consistency and very ineffective policies.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to suggestions from employees.

Stay away

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Wise, VA (US)

I worked at SYKES full-time for more than a year

ProsYour feet aren't about to fall off at work because you really aren't doing physical work. It's all mental. The trainers are usually nice.

ConsThey put customers ahead of employees. If there is a major snowstorm and the roads are too bad, you get chewed out for missing. It's impossible to get off for NECESSARY DOCTOR'S APPOINTMENTS THAT CANNOT BE RESCHEDULED EASILY! I hate it for the customers who have to wait longer on the phone but sometimes, you just have to deal with it. I hate waiting too but there are worse things that could happen. If a 10.0 magnitude earthquake happened or if a gunman went on a rampage there, they'd still expect us to stay on the phone because 'our customers depend on us."

Too much favoritism happens. People who get promoted usually do not deserve it.

If you want access to the paystub system, Globalview, tough luck! It takes them 6 months to give you your login credentials. If you forget your credentials, there's another 6 months before they get back to you. Usually hesitant to give you your paystub if you have direct deposit.

Seniority is never considered. For those agents who mentor training classes and transition groups, the business usually picks newer agents over those who know everything inside and out.

For attendance, you are allowed 22 points for missing. That may seem really good, when it is, but when you have to take the hit on attendance instead of getting approved for the time off that you need, it isn't. I got fired for 24 points before other people who had close to 50 points. If you are sick and you have a doctor's note, you still get it counted against you for the first two days.

Quality assurance agents are complete morons, with the exception of a couple. Same goes for management.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more competent.

Worked for SYKES? Contribute to the Community!

SYKES Videos

SYKES – Why Work for Us?

For more than 30 years, SYKES has been in the business of creating and maintaining satisfying relationships between client companies and their customers. During this time, they have also been creating gratifying jobs… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SYKES reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for SYKES CEO Chuck Sykes. All 254 reviews are posted anonymously by SYKES employees.