SYKES

Updated 15 November 2014
2.2

SYKES President, CEO, and Director Chuck Sykes
Chuck Sykes

Pros
  • Sykes work from home cares for it's Employee's a great deal in many ways (in 27 reviews)

• This company creates a work environment where you want to do your best and then some for the team and the company (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • It's a fairly typical call center: a lot of people have bad attitudes and the supervisors are masochistic (in 12 reviews)

• Company events that focus more on drinking by and with upper management (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Liked my job very much......Customer Service is No.1 to me!

Former Employee - Westpac Banker in Maitland, New South Wales
    Former Employee - Westpac Banker in Maitland, New South Wales

I worked at SYKES part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great for somebody who is young & related or a friend, looking for a job.
    Great for a job until you find the right job!

Cons

Management/Team Leaders & SME (Subject Matter Experts, that is) are 95% under 25yrs. Lacking people skills within adaptability, maturity within leadership skills especially. Poor training. NOT flexible at all. Blame Westpac for restrictions & never take it front on.
    NOT

Read all feedback & take it on board.
    Employees depend on trusting the BRAND they work for.

A company managed by inferior people who will only employ even for inferior people..

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Sydney
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Sydney

I have been working at SYKES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My particular assignment was in was easy breezy, I had lots of free time to do other things (which shall go undescribed), but this pro is specific to me.

Cons

My experience was that they didn't promote according to merit. My businesses don't, unfortunately, but this company takes the cake. The out-going supervisor employed his old school friend --- who was SO illiterate he couldn't spell simple words correctly. Neither could he type more than 10 words a minute. The old school friend brought the whole show into collapse when the client (whose offices we worked in) fired Sykes and got a fresh team. The "old school friend", hired unmeritoriously, has been unemployed ever since.

Develop a culture of sensing talent and giving recognition and reward for it. Realize that hiring on the basis of friendship can cause loss to the company and, as I witnessed, loss to your own job.

Call centre contracted to Westpac Bank. Laughable place to work

Current Employee - Inbound Customer Service Agent in Gold Coast
    Current Employee - Inbound Customer Service Agent in Gold Coast

I have been working at SYKES full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Young, fun, group of people to meet/ work with.
    Learning about financial products/banking
    Its easy to get away with not doing any work as the managers are total airheads.

Cons

Management are absolutely useless and it will ruin your time at work. Staff have been underpaid for a month and it won't be corrected for months as team managers are very unhelpful. You will be thrown in the deep end with little training and no support. Team Managers will not answer questions, you are told to look it up whilst customers are getting angry on the phone awaiting a simple answer to be confirmed when you are unsure. You will deal with abusive customers everyday and when they ask to speak to a manager the managers will make excuses to speak and have you deal with them in other ways. You may not be comfortable with the work you are undertaking and you will still be trained into extra departments (e.g complaints line) without a choice and with no pay rise. You will be Never will be appreciated for doing good work only spoken to when you are being coached on how to reach unrealistic targets. Thing I have learnt most over the year is Westpac is actually a terrible bank so be prepared to deal with complaints and abusive customers. After 6 months if you are always well behaved and have good statistics you can apply for a team manager position where you will earn a massive increase of 50 cents per hour. There is no where to progress from team manager. This is essentially a call centre who has no real connection with Westpac bank.

Team managers are first point of contact for all employees. Hire competent people with management experience, not people with neck and face tattoos who are looking for the 50c pay rise per hour. I've never seen such a massive staff turn over at a workplace, it's clearly because the staff are just treated as numbers.

Alright company

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Virginia Beach, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Virginia Beach, VA (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good company good training

Cons

Getting to know the system

Need better trainers

Good learning experience

Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I worked at SYKES part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers, clear instructions, fair amount of pay for the work

Cons

No room for personal growth, tedious work

Leading a team of 19 member

Current Employee - Sykes Team Manager in Cairo (Egypt)
    Current Employee - Sykes Team Manager in Cairo (Egypt)

I have been working at SYKES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome, great, team , best, ever

Cons

Bad Management, no food, no allowance, no vacations

you work more than you get paid

Current Employee - Apple Sales Representative in Concord, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Apple Sales Representative in Concord, NC (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time (more than an year)

Pros

its a work from home job so you don't spend money on gas or take out. You spend more time with your family

Cons

pay isn't what it should be and a lot of times u aren't paid for tech issues whether it's their end or yours. Unorganized as well. Last minute changes

Customer Service Rep. - Sumter SC

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Sumter, SC (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Sumter, SC (US)

I worked at SYKES full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are a few valuable employees

Cons

Management, Immature employees, HR, Unprofessional behavior

Act like managers

Not enough compensation for the amount of mental stress endured.

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at SYKES full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Being able to work from the comfort of your own home.
    Promotional opportunities.

Cons

There was not enough access to management. The ratio of supervisors to customer agents was about 1/30 with someone always needing help, therefore when you needed assistance you were stuck with the customer on hold for long periods of time also extending your time on the call and therefore affecting your "metrics". It was a lose/lose situation. Dealing with countless personalities within only a few hours is very draining. In my opinion, the compensation is not worth it for the amount of mental strain you endure.

Get more management. Compensation is probably 90% of the reason you have a high turnover rate.

Not much room for growth.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Milton-Freewater, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Milton-Freewater, OR (US)

I worked at SYKES full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Full time
    - Paid Training
    - I learned a lot about originating auto and personal loans.
    - Enjoyed building rapport with the members (callers)

There really isn't a whole lot of Pros at this job and it really depends on what account you work for as well.

Cons

They don't like to give raises. I originated auto and personal loans for their client company and after two years of working there you'd expect to receive some sort of raise. It doesn't matter, you can be one of the better team members on the floor and know a lot about the Line of Business, but alas, that doesn't matter. What they care about is your attendance and call metrics. But really... what can you expect from a call center.

Give raises based on the knowledge of the line of business and less on call metrics. Call metrics are there to make sure people are doing their job... but it shouldn't be the driving factor, especially if that person is doing much better than what is asked. Otherwise, your employees start to feel like they give and give and sooner or later they will start to not care anymore, because all their efforts are really in vain the end.