SYKES

SYKES Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

SYKES President, CEO, and Director Chuck Sykes

Chuck Sykes

Pros
  • Work from home opportunity that allows some flexibility(in 19 reviews)

• great benefits, gives consideration to undergraduates,good BPO company for starters, good working environment(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • It's a fairly typical call center: a lot of people have bad attitudes and the supervisors are masochistic(in 11 reviews)

• Team managers are selected due to their stats, very poor management(in 8 reviews)

Call centre contracted to Westpac Bank. Laughable place to work

Inbound Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) Gold Coast

ProsYoung, fun, group of people to meet/ work with.
    Learning about financial products/banking
    Its easy to get away with not doing any work as the managers are total airheads.

ConsManagement are absolutely useless and it will ruin your time at work. Staff have been underpaid for a month and it won't be corrected for months as team managers are very unhelpful. You will be thrown in the deep end with little training and no support. Team Managers will not answer questions, you are told to look it up whilst customers are getting angry on the phone awaiting a simple answer to be confirmed when you are unsure. You will deal with abusive customers everyday and when they ask to speak to a manager the managers will make excuses to speak and have you deal with them in other ways. You may not be comfortable with the work you are undertaking and you will still be trained into extra departments (e.g complaints line) without a choice and with no pay rise. You will be Never will be appreciated for doing good work only spoken to when you are being coached on how to reach unrealistic targets. Thing I have learnt most over the year is Westpac is actually a terrible bank so be prepared to deal with complaints and abusive customers. After 6 months if you are always well behaved and have good statistics you can apply for a team manager position where you will earn a massive increase of 50 cents per hour. There is no where to progress from team manager. This is essentially a call centre who has no real connection with Westpac bank.

Advice to Senior ManagementTeam managers are first point of contact for all employees. Hire competent people with management experience, not people with neck and face tattoos who are looking for the 50c pay rise per hour. I've never seen such a massive staff turn over at a workplace, it's clearly because the staff are just treated as numbers.

Do not overlook the ones that work hard to do their job right.

Deposits (Former Employee) Wise, VA (US)

ProsThe people that work there are great most of the time. They really care for each other. Very involved in fund raisers to help cancer, diabetes etc.

ConsInsurance was not that good.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore advancements would be good.

Best job I can ever obtain to establish a relationship developing a plan of action

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Sumter, SC (US)

ProsGaining commitment with the customer leading to a suspension of my own values to isolate critical issues and represent business

ConsI'm not a supervisor LOL

Advice to Senior ManagementGive certificates or awards to the best employers

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people, learned a lot of skills working with client.

ConsCan be high intensity, but in the end it's worth it.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

I feel very satisfied, rewarded, and even further educated due to my time spent working at Sykes.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Hays, KS (US)

ProsThe co-workers were always fun and helpful and it is always nice to have a computer always at/on hand when answering a call, helpful, in depth, and appropriate training, as well as a great database of information to draw from when on a call regarding nearly any problem a caller may have.

ConsPoor hours, few directing supervisors, boring and empty working environment, which can cause a problem if you cannot find the information you are looking for relative to the caller's problem directly in the Sykes database and would like to speak to someone directly about it, (as getting support yourself by phone from a supervisor on one line while giving it to a caller on another line can get confusing really quick.)

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to keep employees busy, give things to do on long waits (2 hours+) between calls, & find more efficient/less tedious ways to log them.

msr

Pros8 wks course so it gives you time to learn the software used and they test once a week to make sure you are learning the material.

ConsThe benefits are not as affordable as expected especially when the pay is pretty low already.

At Sykes I was a Customer Care Agent for AT&T

Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) Eugene, OR (US)

ProsI loved assisting the customers and I loved my co-workers

ConsI didn't like it that the customer care agent were trained for 7 weeks, but the corporate store and retail clerks were trained only 2 weeks. 75% of our calls were dealing with how the corporate/stores had messed up customer accounts.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain care agents and clerks the same way

Too much stress for too little money.

At Home Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)

ProsSchedule is a set one which is nice.

ConsThe wages are a joke for what we have to put up with. Too stressful for minimum wage. Too much abuse from customers and the expectation that every customer will be happy after talking to us is unrealistic.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the wages so people will want to stay. The schedule is not bad. Stop being unrealistic in expectations of how we can resolve 100% of customer concerns.

Disappointing

Quality Manager (Former Employee) Spokane, WA (US)

ProsThe people I worked with had great dedication to the QA department

ConsNo backing from upper management

Advice to Senior ManagementListen.

If only there were good changes in the workplace, then maybe it would be tolerable.

Customer Service Agent I (Former Employee) Fayetteville, NC (US)

ProsThe best thing I've enjoyed was having the chance to meet great friends that would end up being long lasting friends. At one point of my life, I've been a pushover and always let things go. This job did teach me to strengthen myself and to not let people walk all over me.

ConsThere wasn't any stable leadership in the workplace. Managers constantly having "meetings" and never being around to help the CSR's. I didn't feel that the safety of the employees were a top priority to the managers. No leniency for people who have children and have emergencies. No chance to grow in that career due to favoritism. There is no professionalism, and on top of it all, even managers themselves don't follow the mission statement. I wanted to work at SYKES because of the mission statement, and I lost that interest after I immediately worked on the floor after training.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease stop hiring everyone! Hire those who would actually work hard and help the company grow. Please look closely at your managers because they are just doing whatever they please and not helping your CSR's. If you care about the company, care about your employees. Happy CSR's will bring better results in my opinion, and truthfully at this location, there isn't a single happy CSR. Pop in unannounced and see what its really like, go undercover in your locations. Have some leniency for those with children and those who are married to the military. If the management was different and if the managers actually followed the mission statement, I would have stayed a bit longer. I was one of the top people that did referrals in my team and the whole call center, give some rewards to those who go above and beyond for you. All I ask is to at least consider what I tell you, because most if not all former employees feel the same way I do.

Worked for SYKES? Contribute to the Community!