SYKES Reviews

Updated 27 August 2014

2.2

SYKES President, CEO, and Director Chuck Sykes
Chuck Sykes

Pros
  • Work from home opportunity that allows some flexibility (in 19 reviews)

• great benefits, gives consideration to undergraduates,good BPO company for starters, good working environment (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • It's a fairly typical call center: a lot of people have bad attitudes and the supervisors are masochistic (in 11 reviews)

• Team managers are selected due to their stats, very poor management (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Forget about Sykes. There are plenty of better companies to work for in Budapest.

Former Employee - Anonymous  in  Budapest (Hungary)
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Budapest (Hungary)

I worked at SYKES full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Regular working schedule on normal hours.

Cons

- Very few possibilities to actually do your job in helping the customers due to the very restrictive company policy, which at the same time lacks transparency, leading to employees being able to provide nothing more than lip-service to the clients.
    - Lack of true leadership who dare to defend those workers who are in a vulnerable position, in case of an uneven conflict, harassment or bullying.
    - No chances for advancement.
    - Wages are a laugh in relation to the stress level one has to put up with (two people doing the job of five).
    - No recognition of and use for ones talents, nor any appreciation for the efforts one puts in, unless one belongs to the manager's board's favourites.
    - Favouritism.

- Built a service structure in which we actually can do our job helping the customers.
    -See the qualities and appreciate the efforts of EVERY employee EQUALLY, and not just of those you "like" for superficial reasons of status, appearance or "sociability".
    -Pay the employees at the lowest stratum of the hierarchy more wage, when they need to do almost double work due to teams being understaffed.
    -Take action when employees get bullied or harrassed by their direct superiors.

If you have no life

I have been working at SYKES

Pros

The benifits are a great price

Cons

They do not ask and do not care about your schedule. Ex. Childcare or continuing your education

You are only allowed 4 days off every six months and if you want more days it is up to multiple people and if you meet their goals to get days off.

They want you to provide great customer care, but wheb your issues need resolved they tell you to call a number no one answers.

Ask people their availability before hiring.

Underpaid for amount of work and training does not prepare for over half live calls

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent  in  Lakeland, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Lakeland, FL (US)

I worked at SYKES full-time for less than a year

Pros

Hiring process was long but welcoming pre-employment team is great! Team leads are awesome and very helpful as well.

Cons

Training was not satisfactory, spent majority of the time reading articles ver-batim and not enough hands on training, listening to calls and watching use of tools. Not enough pay for the demanding calls and all of the resources necessary.

Most of the pre-employment and leadership is great! The training however was long yet not helpful at all when applied to live calls. Instead of practicing live calls and using our tools we spent most of our time reading articles. Time would have been better spent listening to live calls and watching pro agents use their tools and resources properly during calls.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Management Sucks

I have been working at SYKES full-time

Pros

Sykes provides flexible hours .

Cons

If your looking to grow with the company find another job. Management is always changing. Management never wants to be bothered and are always in "special meetings." There are no pay raises no matter how great your work is. Misinformation is given to employees from Management.

Do not overlook the ones that work hard to do their job right.

Former Employee - Deposits  in  Wise, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Deposits in Wise, VA (US)

I worked at SYKES full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people that work there are great most of the time. They really care for each other. Very involved in fund raisers to help cancer, diabetes etc.

Cons

Insurance was not that good.

More advancements would be good.

Run AWAY!!

I worked at SYKES full-time for less than a year

Pros

Can't think of any...Oh, the Bathrooms were clean.

Cons

Terrible hours/pay with no negotiation. Terrible treatment by supervisors in a pass-the-buck environment. A Place filled with empty promises to advance, but what they fail to mention is that advancement only comes to those on the good ole' boys system...oh, and also without a raise.

tear it down and start over.

Shocking Abuse of Employees

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  La Canada, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in La Canada, CA (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time for less than a year

Pros

Health benefits (which you pay for) working from home

Cons

Ignorant, power mad and tyrannical supervisors, who dish out verbal warnings on a daily basis. Really crap systems which go down several times per day (2003 server) . Lack of professional management, don't tell you about shift bids then schedule you to work during your vacation and NEV ER EVER one word of apology when they screw up . Just tell you it is somehow your fault. This company should be called The Matrix, you are left in doubt that you are just a POS to them. Human rights abused every day. No respect at all for the people who are making them money

Please remember that the people you are bullying and harassing over minor infringements, like a warnings for being a couple of minutes over your break time are the same people who, on the same day, work maybe 20 minutes after midnight shift ends to resolve customer issues, like true professionals. Please remember when an agent screws up it is morally wrong to deny a credit especially if that mistake costs a customer several hundred of dollars. If Rogers find out you will be getting the company into big trouble and this is called theft which is illegal in this country. Because of the ridiculous pace of change in plans for their customers, and when 4 different supervisors give 4 different resolutions to your problems, it is really not acceptable to ding agents with a verbal warning when the supervisory level itself is totally confused....how do you think we feel? Are you not aware how this engenders such negativity among agents. Instead of communication through chat on an ad hoc basis when at least 1/7th of agents are off work, why not aspire to an intelligent form of communication, like emails so we can actually be reliably informed about what we are supposed to be doing before we actually receive warnings for failing to do it. Oh yes and when I have been informed that I have been given approval for a vacation week, please do not then inform me by posting a schedule for me to work the week before the vacation; and when I query it, THEN proceed to tell me it is not approved. In our business this is known as BS and this company is drowning in it.. Corporate structure is kept tightly under wraps so you never know who to turn to when you are being bounced around (that is why they do it). Finally the decision makers in this company are rank amateurs who don't know how to deal with people, communicate effectively, negotiate fairly. They only know how to manipulate and brainwash, because they themselves are lap dogs doing the dirty on agents for a career move, whilst selling their souls in the process. In a career spanning over 40 years I have pages and pages of excellent references and recommendations, have worked in senior management and got outstanding reviews from my clients, I have ALWAYS been treated with respect. Even with this company I have a high 90's customer satisfaction rate. However, I would not recommend my worst enemy to work for this company and I would recommend any and all my fellow worker to seek legal advice (plenty of no win no fee lawyers out there) to sue this company for shocking abuses and practices (which they always blame on their client ...which is even more BS). Apart from health benefits I would mark Sykes at -5 in all areas however I doubt they have minus scale in this survey. So many new agents (under 6 months) out on stress leave it is so bad and they use a lot of disabled and rural employees as they have little employment options, thereby enabling them to abuse them more. Sykes will not recruit in Ontario any more as they have to pay 12.10 per hour for home based agents in this province. So now they are recruiting on the west coast (where I am sure they will be taking advantage of temporary foreign workers).. So be warned they copy the friendly welcoming behaviors of other more reputable companies but once you have hit 4-6 months then they start trying to brainwash and abuse you. Stand up for yourself and give back as good a you get, otherwise working for thee morons will destroy your confidence and make you physically sick, like they have done to so many good people. .As for me, I am outta here EI or no EI, nothing is worth this kind of life with Sykes, free to rebuild a career and reputation without these corporate leec hes sucking out your lifes blood. Sad that they are even allowed to operate in a country like Canada. Hope this gives you the full picture about this company.

You can't last here for so long

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Cluj-Napoca (Romania)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cluj-Napoca (Romania)

I have been working at SYKES full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's easy to work here.

Cons

Bosses like the employees to be stressed sometimes with no point, they can't see you stop, even if there's nothing to do, the goals ar unachievable unless yo do extra unpaid hours, they tell you can rise in the company but only if there is not a sister of someone asking for the same place you are asking for. It really sucks. If they would like people to stay longer they wouldnt break the balls with idiot issues. They don't put value in the happiness of employees, also they dont' care of the opinion of their workers that may improve their procedures and daily tasks.

At least for what they pay, it's just a work for pass a while, I couldn't stand it for more than a year.

They promise everything to get you there

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Cluj-Napoca (Romania)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cluj-Napoca (Romania)

I worked at SYKES full-time for more than a year

Pros

Conpany needs Native speakers for different languages. HR does not even bother looking at CV and experience and they promise everything to get you there. Impossible to move on due to lack of staff

Hire Management!

Best job I can ever obtain to establish a relationship developing a plan of action

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Sumter, SC (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Sumter, SC (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time for less than a year

Pros

Gaining commitment with the customer leading to a suspension of my own values to isolate critical issues and represent business

Cons

I'm not a supervisor LOL

Give certificates or awards to the best employers

Worked for SYKES? Contribute to the Community!