SYKES

Updated 29 January 2015
2.3

SYKES President, CEO, and Director Chuck Sykes
Chuck Sykes

Pros
  • Sykes work from home cares for it's Employee's a great deal in many ways (in 28 reviews)

• This company creates a work environment where you want to do your best and then some for the team and the company (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • I've never worked in a more horrible call center (in 13 reviews)

• Company events that focus more on drinking by and with upper management (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Good first place to work, pay is too low

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at SYKES full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Depending on the team - friendly staff, good support provided

Cons

The wages are much too low: I am being asked to provide in-depth knowledge of products for companies in 3 different languages. You would think that two extra languages would mean higher wages (well, ok, 500 pounds per year extra).

You need to pay overtime. You encourage employees to "go the extra mile" but that extra mile still needs fair compensation.

Assist mobile customers with accounts.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Little Rock, AR (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Little Rock, AR (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great bonuses just take a while to get them

Cons

Gets repatitive and hold quick

Have weekly challenges

Customer service

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chavies, KY (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chavies, KY (US)

I worked at SYKES part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Health issuance, flexible work hours, easy work.

Cons

Location, a lot of traffic

Good learning experience, but oftentimes frustrating

Current Employee - Recruitment Specialist in San Jose, San Jose (Costa Rica)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Specialist in San Jose, San Jose (Costa Rica)

I have been working at SYKES full-time (more than a year)

Pros

People are extremely friendly.
    The Communications department does their best to make the environment as enjoyable as possible with contests, activities and special treats.
    Managers understand there must be a work-life balance, and they will help out with any schedule accommodations for study reasons.
    Great importance is given to education and personal development through language and Cisco courses, as well as career path options within the company itself.

Cons

Communication between departments and between managers and employees is lacking. Information is improperly compartmentalized sometimes, which leads to surprises and emergencies.
    The company philosophy struggles between aiming for quality or quantity when it comes to the recruiting process.
    While the benefit package has been growing, the salary is lagging behind other companies in the same field.

Focus more on hiring quality employees than simply mass hiring. This will help slow down attrition rate.

Recommend fully

Current Employee - Tier One Tech Support in West Pasco, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Tier One Tech Support in West Pasco, WA (US)

I have been working at SYKES

Pros

Easy to get full time, overtime offered, great managers (coaches). Very flexible, works with you in emergencies, offers benefits at low cost. Working from home is amazing.

Cons

Vision benefits are a little hard to use. Computer I was sent is a little wonky at times
    Pay should be based on state. I only get a little less than $.50 cents more a hour then min wage making $10 a hour but others in other states make a few dollars more than min wage so $10 is a better pay for them than for me .

Train a bit longer and jeep updated materials

Seemed perfect at first....

I worked at SYKES

Pros

Work from home
    Ability to pick schedule

Cons

Poor training
    We were constantly told "oh that's old, don't worry about" after we had went over material, to only be given current information the day before we went live on phones

Okay if you don't mind being paid per second

Current Employee - Xbox Am in Springfield, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Xbox Am in Springfield, MO (US)

I have been working at SYKES

Pros

You can work from home, that's about the only pro I can think of. You mostly work with idiots, I'm not talking about customers either. I mean managers, supervisors, and co-workers. Its the typical call center tech support circus, no one actually knows anything about whats going on with issues and everyone is an expert whatever that means. The main issue with the company is that upper and middle management are clueless about anything other then playing office politics. You are constantly told "We want you to be a top performer." Which ironically "Top Performers" are just idiots that have learned how to socially manipulate customers into giving them satisfactory surveys. There are no way to track follow ups or even your own performance management keeps all this information to itself and there is no actually reasoning behind how you are ranked or rated. You are told you get 9.50 an hour which the way the pay is generated is by 15 minute blocks that you may or may not get full credit for depending upon if you can stay logged into the switch for that entire time. All their systems depend upon the VPN connection to work properly, you will be disconnected and the company will say "if you can't prove its a company issue we do not have to pay you for this time." In summation if you have a choice between working at SYKES or working for a sweat shop its essentially the same thing, they use the idea that you work at home as leverage to take advantage of you while paying you the very bare minimum they can get away with. The fact remains also you force you employees to get a phone line when a sip connection over VPN would be just as secure and actually save your employees money.

Cons

no paid time off
    often back to back calls
    little or no training
    You will get paid per second you are logged into their soft phone.

I'm not sure what to say here, I know you have the image of caring for your employees but do you? I worked for your company for two months and its clear no one has any idea what's going on from day to day. The job itself wouldn't be bad if not for the incredibly low pay and the technical issues that seem to stem from out right incompetence in implementation.

former employee

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at SYKES

Pros

inside at a cubicle, can eat and drink at pleasure, able to dress casual and according to weather, was able to be very productive

Cons

everything is timed to the minute, actually felt like management sat there with a stop watch. Was not able to have telephone on any person- emergency decided by management, very high turn over...... for a reason

Typical big business that doesn't care about its employees

I have been working at SYKES (more than 8 years)

Pros

you may get lucky enough to work with a good group of people.

Cons

low pay, bad benefits, and they will screw you out of anything possible

If you know the right people, you can move up quickly but don't expect decent pay or benefits.

Current Employee - Support Staff in Lakeland, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Support Staff in Lakeland, FL (US)

I have been working at SYKES

Pros

Flexibility, freedom once promoted, easy job, mostly nice people.

Cons

Terrible pay and benefits, won't pay deserved salary for qualified employees, would rather save money and hire someone less qualified.

You get what you pay for.