SYKES Reviews

Updated 30 October 2014
2.2

SYKES President, CEO, and Director Chuck Sykes
Chuck Sykes

Pros
  • Sykes work from home cares for it's Employee's a great deal in many ways (in 27 reviews)

• This company creates a work environment where you want to do your best and then some for the team and the company (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • It's a fairly typical call center: a lot of people have bad attitudes and the supervisors are masochistic (in 12 reviews)

• Company events that focus more on drinking by and with upper management (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Not terrible, but that's not saying much

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent I in Eugene, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Agent I in Eugene, OR (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The paid training is nice, though I believe they have shortened it to only 5 weeks at this point. Although they aren't the best, there are benefits offered. The work is full time with plenty of options for overtime. Scheduling is relatively consistent. If you are lucky enough to get with the right managers, they will take the time to help you build upon areas of weakness.

Cons

Nepotism runs rampant here. Don't expect to be treated nearly as well as someone who has "been there since the beginning" even if you work twice as hard. Certain managers were promoted almost straight out of training just because they happened to be there at the beginning when they needed "leadership." As a result, there are some seriously incompetent managers pretty much benefiting off of the hard work of their team members. Unless you make consistent top level sales, it is likely that you will be either ignored, or "coached" incessantly. The client gauges success using satisfaction surveys which are easily skewed by customers who are unhappy for reasons beyond your control. This means you are given the option to either "fail" in the satisfaction category (and receive additional coaching as a result) or as another stated, engage in self preservation activities which are at the least extremely unethical.

No matter what you do, it will not be good enough in some way. Suggestions for improvement are given by people who have barely (if ever) had relevant experience and are extremely scripted and often times not applicable to one off situations. Mid level support does they best they can, but there are not enough support reps to go around, meaning that it is likely that you will sit on the phone for up to 10 minutes trying your hardest not to curse at your computer while your customer grows increasingly impatient just waiting for someone to come by and answer your question or provide approval for an action. Systems constantly go down, policies are always changing, and to top it off, your client is rather unpopular right now. Prepare to be yelled and cursed at at least twice a day on a good day.

Essentially, you'll be making 10 bucks an hour to take verbal abuse from strangers; be tasked to fix their issues with faulty systems, little support, and if you do not make everything better (without forking over free money, which is what many want), it is all your fault. If you do not make awesome sales numbers, you are not trying. Hard work and caring is not rewarded here. Take a job here if you must (it's a guaranteed gig) but keep putting in apps elsewhere. Honestly, Walmart is looking more attractive at this point.

If you want "better results" from your employes, take the time to develop their skills. Stop playing favorites, and for heaven's sake, stop ignoring flags in favor of hanging out with your buddies.

Disclosed Malvern AR

Former Employee - Disclosed in Malvern, AR (US)
    Former Employee - Disclosed in Malvern, AR (US)

I worked at SYKES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most the people are like family. Pay isn't horrible for the area. Always clean.
    Great incentive program for money
    Involved in community
    There were more before last 8 months but these have changed.

Cons

Tons of payroll issues. Working there many years I have had over 10 payroll issues and few that were never corrected no matter how long I tried or who I talked too.
    They promote to many unexperienced manager from Team leads even to most recent promoted account managers they ignore so many simple problems from dress code to bad conversations from both agents and team managers. The new director promotes from phone contacts instead of talent for all promotions. There is alot of criticism with little recognition. Most the good managers have left due to the recent changes. Many of former employee's feel the same with this place. The HR staff cannot seem to help people with problems but instead gossip about them. They tell you to pre plan needed time off over 3 weeks then say this or that on why it won't happen. I like many others have left the company due to the incompetence of the management staff running this place straight into the ground. Listen to your employees they have many complaints however your "leaders" do not listen. Although many have heard about Blooms 3 million dollar embezzlement he was a leader and helped others not treat then like they don't matter or take part in conversations distracting in others. I would have stayed with this company for life however they have changes that must be made and it starts at the top. I could go on about many things with the "support" however it wouldn't matter. Sykes malvern has become the new Accent hot springs. To all thinking of joining exploring other options never hurts In my opinion. P. S NOT WILLING TO RECOMEND

Train your management at all levels or hire others. If you don't do either you will continue losing quality employees and to the new director don't promote new TM and AM that can't do the job at most all my peers will tell u they miss work because they hate their boss and criticism from you and Tm. All your talented management has left since July.

I like the actual job, but not the working environment

Former Employee - Customer Sales and Service Agent in Eugene, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Sales and Service Agent in Eugene, OR (US)

I worked at SYKES full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The training was great and the trainer (who has since been 'let go') was knowledgeable, good at his job, and funny. I enjoyed working with the customers and the products.

Cons

The systems went down frequently and I never felt like we had the support from floor support and team leaders. We were told sales were not a priority but once on the floor, sales was the primary (and seemed only) priority - too much pressure.

Be honest about the sales aspect of the position; floor support should make sure the agent feels comfortable that a resolution was found before moving on; get better tech support to make sure the systems don't continually go down.

Good.

Current Employee - Online Bank Teller in Lakeland, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Online Bank Teller in Lakeland, FL (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Learning banking regulations and the ability to learn about the products they sell..

Cons

Having to work night shift 2:30 pm to 11:00 pm.

None other than needs more floor support.

The most fun I ever had while working.

Current Employee - HRA in Fayetteville, NC (US)
    Current Employee - HRA in Fayetteville, NC (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is an effort to reward employees in small ways.

Cons

The work can be very difficult.

More with Less is not always possible.

Sykes

I have been working at SYKES full-time

Pros

The pay is biweekly which is great. They have opportunities for promotions. After six months of working there, you get a raise

Cons

You will have no kind of social life, or life period, outside of this job. The hours are horrible. Too many unnecessary rules.

Generally friendly and fun.

Current Employee - Electronic Claims Associate in Fort Smith, AR (US)
    Current Employee - Electronic Claims Associate in Fort Smith, AR (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Steady work. Good chance of promotion.

Cons

Low pay for the skills required.

BEST job of my LIFE

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative Top Performer in Manchester, TN (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have been at this company for a full year now, and in the past year I have come to realize this company is amazing.
    1. Sykes work from home cares for it's Employee's a great deal in many ways.
    2. Management cares about you as a person and your success .
    3. I have grown in this company quickly in the past year and I could not work for better people. Sykes give you so much room to grow and I love that the most about this company. NOT ONCE have I felt that I was in a dead in job.
    4. I love not having to leave my home
    5. The perks and bonuses are amazing love winning things too :-)
    6. I love working in the team setting together achieving GOALS
    7. Your voice never falls on deaf ears here
    8. This company creates a work environment where you want to do your best and then some for the team and the company..
    9. Training was in depth and you knew you were prepared
    10. Work life balance can be achieved depending on your shift selection

Cons

1. I do wish for one thing better benefit options.

♥!!!!!KEEP IT UP!!!! ♥

GOOD COMPANY TO WORK FOR

Current Employee - Supervisor in Tampa, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Management Team, and great work-life balance.

Cons

Inconsistent pay compensation. Due to "system gliche" you are not able to receive your max incentive bonus, even if you earned it.

Not just listen to employees about Payroll issues, but act upon them more efficiently.

It was a learnful period

Former Employee - Team Leader in Cluj-Napoca (Romania)
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Cluj-Napoca (Romania)

I worked at SYKES full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You canlearn a lot about a multinational company. (e.g. Feedback, KPIs)
    i was surounded by competent people, regarding their job. We could reach fine results.

Cons

I missed a company culture based on values.

I know you do your best in having a functional company. Give a thought on life values. Be aware that every gesture you make comunicates aboult your values.Don not allow gossiping. This are reflected through the employees.

Very though but I think it would help the company a lot: Lead by example.