Sabre Reviews

Updated 28 August 2014

3.3

Sabre President and CEO Tom Klein
Tom Klein

Pros
  • Work/life balance; groups with good knowledge and great cultures (in 55 reviews)

• Good place to work - many employees are able to work from home (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • Very little regard for work-life balance overall and compensation is below market (in 22 reviews)

• Work from home depends on manager and the team you are working in (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

New Management, New Direction

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer  in  Southlake, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Southlake, TX (US)

I have been working at Sabre full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

In the past couple of years since I've joined, the company has made big changes in executive leadership (new CEO and new CTO). In that time, Sabre has also made big changes to the business (going public, moving Travelocity to Expedia's platform, attempting to sell lastminute.com). Internally, we are pushing to change the culture to be "one Sabre" and to drive innovation. Common topics: creating big data products, shifting to cloud architectures, focusing on world class user experiences. As a software developer, it feels pretty positive. You are definitely rewarded for pushing your product forward.

Cons

Culturally, there seems to be a lot of apathy. Technology seems to be about 5-10 years behind the best tech companies. For example, we're just now starting to investigate cloud architecture. If you're into mainstream technologies from 5 years ago, you're considered leading edge rebels.

I love the new direction the company is going. Focusing on using modern technologies and valuing premium user experiences are great strategies for creating customer value.

Good Experience

I have been working at Sabre full-time for less than a year

Pros

Learn a lot of things, I have a good manager, and I also have opportunities to chat with senior management team

Cons

The full time pay is low, work life balance sometimes is a problem.

Very interesting industry & good people to work with.

Former Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Southlake, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Southlake, TX (US)

I worked at Sabre full-time for more than a year

Pros

I really enjoyed the fact that Sabre really took pride in the community around them. There were so many community service opportunities and Sabre allowed a certain number of work time hours to pursue them. From my experience in my group, my manager always "had my back" and really stood up for and believed in the people beneath him. There was also a very flexible environment with working from home options. The actual options available to you for WFH varied depending on the group you are with.

Cons

In the group I was in it was very difficult to get a promotion and moving around the company was difficult if your group was under-staffed. You would get "blocked" so to speak from the upper management.

Be as transparent as possible with employees when questions are asked.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company

I have been working at Sabre full-time

Pros

Great company to learn a lot from, especially if you're a new grad. Sabre is engaged with almost every facet of travel and with many technologies, both currently in use and on the drawing boards of many large companies for the future.

Cons

Too much analysis and slow to take action.

Experiment more with different business strategies.

A very good company to work for

Former Employee - Associate Software Developer  in  Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Associate Software Developer in Bangalore (India)

I worked at Sabre full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good workplace
    Good facilities
    Work / Life balance
    Leisurely environment

Cons

Feel of lost in the crowd

Excellent people, bad management

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer  in  Southlake, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Southlake, TX (US)

I have been working at Sabre full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People are wonderful, good benefits

Cons

Management tends to be a bit stuck in the '90s. Layoffs are terrifying. things go slow.

Be less structured. Have the ability for WFH. Offer more benefits to attract a younger employer base.

Great experience overall!

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  Montevideo (Uruguay)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Montevideo (Uruguay)

I worked at Sabre full-time for more than a year

Pros

Manager took time to get to know each team member and invest in each person to help him/her grow. Wonderful team atmosphere and support during all projects and tasks. Opportunities to learn!

Cons

Compensation didn't match up with work performance expectations.

Continue to invest in your people!

Great company, great job.

I have been working at Sabre

Pros

Cool industry (travel), fun & smart colleagues. Plenty of HR and training available. Strong healthy benefits and plenty of travel opportunities if you are on the business side.

Cons

Large organization leads to processes, complexity. Can be top-heavy at times... especially post-IPO.

Position was outsourced

Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst  in  Southlake, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Southlake, TX (US)

I worked at Sabre full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My first manager was fantastic. Hands off, not micromanaging and knew that her team knew their jobs and let them do them. Great WFH policy.

Cons

Then I was reorg'ed to a new manager. This manager chose to outsource my position to the Sabre office in Uruguay. This transition was degrading and insulting. I was given six months notice of the layoff and offered a great compensation package but with one restriction. I was forced to train my replacement two weeks before my departure. If I refused, there would be no compensation. The new manager had the audacity to invite me to the team lunch "Welcoming" my replacement to the team.

Outsourcing isn't always the answer to everything.

Great people to work with but have no clear direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Southlake, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southlake, TX (US)

I have been working at Sabre full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Challenging work that relates to solving tough problems for the travel industry. Flexible work from home policy but hear that it might be changing soon.

Cons

Outdated technology with no plans of investing back in the business. Really good opportunity for startups to build and compete

Empower and drive decision making to lower levels by providing high level of guidance of where company needs to go

Worked for Sabre? Contribute to the Community!