Sabre

Sabre Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Sabre President and CEO Tom Klein

Tom Klein

Pros
  • Work/life balance; groups with good knowledge and great cultures (in 55 reviews)

• Good place to work - many employees are able to work from home (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • Very little regard for work-life balance overall and compensation is below market (in 22 reviews)

• Work from home depends on manager and the team you are working in (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Nice place to work...lots of very intelligent engineers to work with and learn with

Senior Software Developer (Current Employee) Southlake, TX (US)

ProsComputer engineering processes are in-place and they work quite well. I'm talking about peer code reviews and quality assurance. The group I was lucky enough to work in had an excellent set of processes that every single 'project' or 'upgrade' went through.

ConsPhysical work space (Southlake, TX...their world-wide headquarters) was quite confining and not conducive to good or high levels of concentration. People always interrupting you, talking to your neighbors...just generally not what I'd call an easy place to concentrate in.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hire and fire so rampantly (and religiously). You are losing a lot of good people by doing what you do when it comes to the constant threat of new layoffs.

Full of smart, experienced, industry-saavy people who are good to work with but organization is slow to change

ProsWorked here for over 10 years until leaving for a better opportunity in the industry. The people make this a great place to work. They are smart people who know the industry very well and are happy to share their knowledge with you. Pay is above average for the travel industry and market for companies outside the industry. Benefits were also very competitive with many other industries. I was able to advance my career and grow responsibilities w/o leaving the holdings company.

Cons1. The plus is also a minus. With so many experienced people, it can be tough to find advancement opportunities. It is a culture of who you know and what projects you've worked on or lead.
    2. The GDS business (the core of Sabre) is a mature industry and thus is primarily managed to profitability rather than top line revenue growth. Not a big deal if you are a finance person but maybe it is for someone in brand marketing.
    3. The company is still trying to find ways to grow. It has done acquisitions, it has incubated businesses and it hasn't hit a home run or even a double yet. Perhaps that will change but it struggles to find growth outside of its airline technology business.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's time to rip off the band-aid and get to the future. That means taking some risk with acquisitions but it also means taking risk in terms of talent management. I think some people are allowed to stay too long.

Tehnology

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat visionary leaders. Great teachnology.

ConsNone. Great company to work for with great people.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good

Contributor Business Analyst (Current Employee) Southlake, TX (US)

ProsGood career growth. Travel options.

ConsFrequent Layoffs. Career restricted to travel industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo frequent layoffs

Epitome of Corporate America

Senior Software Developer (Current Employee) Southlake, TX (US)

ProsOffers a decent work/life balance and initial compensation is acceptable. Campus is aesthetic and friendly.

ConsBureaucracy and politics run amok. Overzealous processes get in the way of delivering products timely -- simple changes take too long to implement. Compensation and training is stagnant.

Advice to Senior ManagementTouting ground-up change is one thing, doing it is another.

Good company with unclear goals

Principal Account Management (Current Employee)

Prosprofessional colleagues, lots of opportunities to learn business, competitive packages

Consnot quite clear strategy, chances of restructuring without warning , missing proper feedback and support from management

Advice to Senior Managementmore focus on people's development and proper regular feedback and support; improve work/life balance

Technology is very outdated. Innovation is not happening quick enough to keep customers and employees happy.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Southlake, TX (US)

ProsFlexibility with schedule. Good benefits. The Southlake campus is nice. The travel industry is very dynamic and the work is interesting.

ConsToo many project managers and disparate systems and processes. Teams are in silos and have their own agendas. Collaboration isn't encouraged. Customers are not happy. Technology is very outdated, and it takes way too long to get anything built.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring project managers to run reports. Start listening to your customers and innovate! Employee retention is an issue!

Sabre - could be better!

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Kraków (Poland)

ProsWork for GDS,
    Experience in travel industry,
    Chance to develop within industry

ConsNot elastic (hard to get WFH and felxible working hours),
    Very poor pay-rise rate,
    Poor bonuses
    Working atmosphere

Great name to have on my resume, but it's time to get the hell out

ProsSenior leadership is responsive to requests from employees. Changes are being made around campus. Campus is Eco-friendly and there are several employee groups one can join based on one's interests. Volunteering is important to the company. Depending on the team, there are flexible work from home policies, flexible hours, and the potential for work/life balance.

ConsThe company is currently undergoing a lot of change. With being public, mostly new senior leadership, and some of the "old Sabre" still around, it's a very confusing environment. They want us to innovate, but budgeting, legacy systems, and fear of failure prevent that from happening 95% of the time. Depending on the team, work environments can be brutal, overly competitive, micro-managed by non-managers, and uncomfortable to work in. It is not a terrible place to work, but one needs to be cautious of the team they join and aware of the changing culture. Hopefully is it evolving for the better, but only time will tell.

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage more with top talent to create top products. Revamp campus to be more conducive to any personality work environment. Stop giving power to those who are stuck with the old way Sabre ran, and instead listen to the new ideas.

Micro-managed beyond comprehension and required to hit moving targets.

ProsThe people - without a doubt, overall the best group of people I have found in my entire career. There is a high degree of integrity here and pride in their work. You will not be working with slackers. The option to work from home is nice, if you can get it. Different managers will restrict this option, so make it part of your contract if it is important to you.

ConsThe micromanaging is out of control. I've never worked anywhere that makes more of an effort to un-empower their employees. They claim they want innovation but provide no ownership over your work. In some divisions, leadership at the highest levels is seriously lacking, as the SVP's just bicker over their power & territory. Even at that high level, they refuse to work together, and everyone under them ends up just trying to keep their heads down to stay out of the fray.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease empower your employees. People at director levels and above should not be doing the work anymore. Ask them how they manage their projects. If the response is scheduling meetings every week, then they don't understand automation and how to manage workloads properly. You have an impeccable staff down to the lowest levels. Don't squander that asset by using management techniques best left in the 80's.

Worked for Sabre? Contribute to the Community!