Safeway

Safeway Reviews

Updated Apr 22, 2014

Safeway CEO Robert Edwards

Robert Edwards

Pros:
  • "Safeway is one of the very few companies that gives you work / life balance which is rare these days"
    in 34 reviews
  • "It was a job until you found a more practical position, Good benefits"
    in 33 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management had know clue what it was like to manage at store level"
    in 42 reviews
  • "On call, Shifting, Working on weekends periodically (but I was still able to maintain work-life balance)"
    in 18 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Overall I worked with a nice crew of employees and most of the customers became my regular, friendly, everyday faces.

Bookkeeper/Customer Service (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Safeway part-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe employees work together as a team, the store is open evryday, 24 hours, You have a chance to earn gift cards from positive, secret shops, benifits & paid vacations, dress down fridays, and the store is located right outside of Golden Gate Park.

ConsSometimes people like to come in and steal, you might have to work a lot of weekends, as a cashier; you might end up having to bag your customers groceries.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you make rules for your emplees to follow (with customers), enforce them and don't leave your employee hanging. Rotate schedule so that everyone can have weekends off sometimes.

My second family.

Safeway Starbucks Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
Bothell, WA (US)

I have been working at Safeway part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat management (Varies by store), nearly as much training as you want, promotions are earned if you work hard, SCEA discount on movie tickets and concerts, flexible schedules.

ConsStarbucks Baristas at Safeway do not receive tips, discounts, or markout. You are paid as if you were a courtesy clerk. Starbucks promotions are cancelled at the last minute. If you put up with it, you will be dragged to other departments as management sees a temporary or small need.

Advice to Senior ManagementI understand that Starbucks licensed stores don't generate as much revenue as a corporate Starbucks location, so the fact that we don't have markout makes sense because it is a high-cost benefit, however I do not think allowing tips would be outrageous. If Baristas are getting paid less than corporate stores, they should at least get tips to help compensate. Employees might be retained longer if tips were allowed. We work hard too.

Time well spent

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)
Whitefish, MT (US)

I worked at Safeway full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSafeway offers it management team great benefits. It also has many opportunities for advancement as the company is a dirt to table producer of their store branded items. Safeway is also focused on being socially and environmentally conscience about their natural and organic store brands.

ConsLiving in an area where with lower population does not allow for the quick advancement. If you are planning on a career with this company, then either focus on Point of Sales or Corporate. Transitioning between the two, while it does happen, is rare.

Advice to Senior ManagementI can only comment from Point of Sales portion of the company. They offer their management great support for each of their functional areas within each store.

Cashier

Cashier (Former Employee)
Woodinville, WA (US)

I worked at Safeway part-time for less than a year

ProsIt had a reasonable pay for the education I had and it didn't require much work. Benefits were pretty good for what I was doing.

ConsThere was pretty slim chance of moving up in the company. It required me to stand around a lot and it was a rough to get in rhythm of working.

Conservative Corporate Mentality

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Pleasanton, CA (US)

I worked at Safeway full-time for more than 10 years

ProsOverall I enjoyed the job, the benefits were good and for the morst part the people are friendly. It's a very hierachial company and if you don't have a seat at the table with the people at the top you won't go far.

ConsIt was not a collaborative work environment. No one wanted to share ideas for fear that someone else would take the idea and run with it and call it there own.

Advice to Senior ManagementMangement was not conserned about developing people/leaders as much as the bottome line...making money.

A career rising within Safeway

Pleasanton, CA (US)

I have been working at Safeway full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSo many skills learned while managing people, measuring performance of every aspect of a business, and using information to execute company initiatives to build loyalty, keep costs to minimum, & drive sales above goals. Pay can be negotiated at hire. Many opportunities to advance into other positions within.

ConsStrategies with Upper executives reducing costs are not realistic in expectations of labor skill set, often employees are unqualified for key roles, pay poorly & some roles are less and coincidentally female roles ( like meat depart. Mostly male are higher paid and manage less people than say, the del, i prodominatly female, and the lowest paid department manager)

Advice to Senior ManagementCulture of " we will do what it takes" is not healthy when it comes with an expectation of performance measurement. Selfishness has bred a team of sandbaggers that are not motivated to help have a healthy business. Often entire careers are thrown out by executives for petty issues.

Safeway's a great place to work...

IT Software Migration Tech (Current Employee)
Richmond, CA (US)

I have been working at Safeway full-time for less than a year

ProsThe people all have great attitudes. Its obvious they care about their employees & their product. I recently did some upgrades to several bay area plants. I only wish the contract had lasted longer.

ConsNone. I just wish the contract had lasted longer.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Terminated after many years of service

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Safeway full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe people I worked with were very knowledgeable, trustworthy and had a high level of integrity.

ConsCorporate leadership cannot be trusted. Very, very political.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate Management needs to be forthright and fair with employees.

tough company

I have been working at Safeway

Prosgood money, good benefits, holiday pay

Consno married life is possible

Bottom of the barrel job

Checker (Former Employee)
Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Safeway full-time for less than a year

ProsIt's a job, so that's a pro I guess.

ConsTerrible pay.
No flexibility with hours.
Minimal training.
Laughable management.
Lazy coworkers.
Chronic understaffing.
Significantly outdated technology.
Mediocre employee benefits.

I spend every day at this job wholly unsatisfied, confined to a checkstand every evening for an entire summer. I was never given a single weekend day off. I was allowed to work ONE morning shift during my entire time at Safeway.

I had to put up with an immature supervisor that whined and complained about his job every single day, kissed the managers behind, and chewed out others for not working fast or hard enough.

The store was understaffed every single day and customers complained about it regularly. Management made no effort to change scheduling to fix this. Coworkers regularly skipped work, leaving the store in complete disarray.

The pay is a joke. I was getting the same money, adjusted for the rise in min wage, back when I was a courtesy clerk at Fred Meyer. Perfect example of a company that expects you to put in maximum effort with the least compensation possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire enough people to run your stores, update your technology, fix your scheduling, get rid of the Club Card, and give your workers a reason to care about their job.

Also fix your dress code; you're a grocery store, not an office.

Worked for Safeway? Contribute to the Community!

Safeway Videos

Safeway – Why Work for Us?

Our employees are the foundation of our success – they are the heart of what we do. By developing a personalized career, fostering a healthy lifestyle, and participating in a culture of innovation, our employees impact… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Safeway reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Safeway CEO Robert Edwards. All 890 reviews are posted anonymously by Safeway employees.