Safeway

Updated Jul 31, 2014

2.8 1,035 reviews

Safeway CEO Robert Edwards

Robert Edwards

Pros
  • Safeway is one of the very few companies that gives you work / life balance which is rare these days (in 42 reviews)

• Nice people, they promote from within, offer good benefits for mgmt (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is below most retail mgmt, requires ALL of your time no work life balance (in 28 reviews)

• Upper management was unrealistic at times in their expectations given labor models (in 46 reviews)

More Highlights
1,035 Employee Reviews

Mixed, a few years back excellent environment, currently seems to be unstable.

Pharmacy Manager (Former Employee) Denver, CO (US)

ProsSound off is to take care of patients, medical therapy management, superior customer service.

ConsStaffing and labor model don't quantify with what corporate wants to achieve

Advice to Senior ManagementReview Labor Model

Large Centralized Corporate structure

Maintenance Management (Current Employee) El Monte, CA (US)

ProsGreat people, good place to learn and grow

ConsToo many Chiefs, not enough Indians

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline the chain of command

Loved working for them, started as cart clerk, within 1.5 yrs was mgr. of the floral dept!!

FTD Floral Manager (Former Employee) Portland, OR (US)

ProsThe company was always great to me, they supported me and pushed me hard through the ranks. They saw my potential and stood behind me and was always helping me to get the training I needed to accomplish what I needed to do. The management put me into all areas of the store I was interested in working in and let me test out if I liked it and if I was good at them. Keep in mind I was a VERY good people person and had already proven to be a hard worker and had passed the customer service tests over and over with 10's and positive comments so there was nothing to be lost by trying to elevate me to a higher position. People in the store naturally listened and followed me anyways. When I tried the floral department I immediately showed a talent of arranging flowers and had an eye for design, so they had the FTD florist train me as their "helper" I worked there for about 6 mths and was moved to another store close by part time as an assistant manager by the regional rep. and stayed part-time at my original store the rest of the time. Two months later I was managing my own store. There are very few companies that treat their employees that well and give them those types of opportunities that fast!! I will always be thankful for that, i would not have ever left except that I started my family. I also had excellent benefits!!!

ConsI did not like that some positions required being part of a union. I had nothing but bad experiences with the union!! Some loved the union, but they screwed me over a few times and I was happy that as a mgr. I did not have to be in it anymore! The pay was also not as much as I thought it should be, there were many others that were making more in the store, and I know other florists at other companies that were making much more.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would raise pay and regulate hours better for those not in control.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for.

Vice President (Current Employee) Pleasanton, CA (US)

ProsThe people are passionate about the business.

ConsHuge organization takes time to understand how to navigate thru.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate the leadership. Good things to come.

Top Fortune 500 Company

ProsThe people and the leadership team.

ConsNo cons - you create your own destiny

A decent "jumping off point"

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEase of hiring process
    Semi-flexible hours

ConsEmployee retention is weak
    Workers don't take much pride in work

Good People, Bad Management

Deli Clerk (Current Employee) Portland, OR (US)

ProsCo-Workers are great, relatively easy work

Conslow pay, corporate atmosphere, schedule shifts around from week to week with no fixed days, manager inefficiency, very little opportunity to move up unless you want to spend the rest of your life there

Overall great people, but the work gets repetitive and tiring.

Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

ProsIt's surrounded by nice people and managers.

ConsPushing carts and cleaning up afte others is not fun.

There is no need to prepare for interview

Checker (Current Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

ProsGreat people to work with

ConsI have worked here for almost seven years and have noticed that managers here don't even have high school diplomas, but they are trained to act like they own the entire corporation, and act like robots, and they have no common sense. Employees are responsible for running two to three departments at a time and are forced to work under extreme stress; there is hardly anything on the shelves, and departments are kept dirty because management is forced to cut hours, and few are scheduled to work. Constant complains from customer, but management don't care. The only times things are perfect when the corporate calls and want a visit, then employees are borrowed from close by stores and every department is turned into as if the stored just opened. Only ten hours of break is given between shifts, hours can very from 16-40. It has fake union, whit $150 check, they take $56, and after taxes your are left with hardly $100 per week.

Good Pay but miserable place to work

Department Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe pay rate is quite good especially as you progress into department or lower management.

ConsCompany does not respect their employees, they treat you like that there is someone who can come in and replace you immediately. There are unrealistic expectations and the general environment in most stores is poor.

Advice to Senior ManagementCustomers like to see people in the stores, if you want to have success it starts with having enough employees in the store to make customers feel appreciated.

Worked for Safeway? Contribute to the Community!