Safeway

www.safeway.com

Safeway Reviews in Washington, DC

Safeway CEO Robert Edwards

Robert Edwards

Pros
  • Safeway is one of the very few companies that gives you work / life balance which is rare these days (in 42 reviews)

• Nice people, they promote from within, offer good benefits for mgmt (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is below most retail mgmt, requires ALL of your time no work life balance (in 28 reviews)

• Upper management was unrealistic at times in their expectations given labor models (in 46 reviews)

More Highlights
10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Sometimes confusing and humiliating

Front End Cashier (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

Prosother employees are nice and sometimes helpful

Consmanagement is confused and not communicating clearly. they don't know if they want speed or customer service. need more training.

Advice to Senior Managementtrain the management. educate on customer service to other employees. stop being so anal about speed. can't have both speed and customer service. tell management to stop belitting employees in front of customers. fix the equipment in the store and get the rest of the employees to do their job so that customers don't have to wait and wait in line because of wrong pricing or equipment that keeps breaking down.

Driver

Full Time Driver (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsDecent Pay with raise every quarter

ConsNeed to upgrade the material and too much red tapes. Been working with the same old truck that are sometimes unsafe and need maintenance.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are a driver then you would driver for your all life there pretty much no promotion that's just not fair for anyone who wants a career.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Safeway is great company that encourages their employees to grow in the career and in life.

Deli Clerk (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsThe customs are great. The work staff has a great sense of teamwork.

ConsThe amount of hours is not enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow a little compassion about their employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

30+ years with company

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsSecure job with average benefits.

ConsHires store management from outside sources (other business types and no experience military) and gives them better stores than seasoned managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within fairly and stop hiring outside middle management with no experience and paying them higher wages than seasoned employees.

Long hours and poor senior management.

Store Manager (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsGreat salary. Decent benefits. Some locations are great.

ConsLong hours. Low quality of employees. Some locations are bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's OK to be positive and praise your employees every once and awhile.

Poor District Management

Management (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsReceived a pay check every week.

ConsDistrict Manager had no personality, it's all about who you know. Poor training. Two faced environment. Impossible bonus structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a good training program, teach district managers to be equal with managers. Far too many audits

No longer a career opportunity... just another job

Food Clerk (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsSafeway employees enjoy a really great benefits package, once deemed eligible (presently 18 months for some benefits, 36 months for others).

ConsEmployees are told they will be fired if they violate certain policies, but when customers complain, managers break the policy, making employees look like they don't know what they're doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your front line employees, and a terminable offense for a clerk needs to be the same for management

What does it take?

Full Time Food Clerk (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsI've worked foe Safeway for 30 years. The pay is decent and the benefits are quite good. My co-workers are great. I get plenty of vacation and getting certain days off is usually very easy.

ConsConstantly barraged with soliciting charitable donations. This irritates many customers. Also, the company's new "customer service" policies are designed to force employees to drive sales rather than be courteous and helpful to the customers. Job recognition or positive feedback of any kind is non-existant. Rather, our jobs are threatened if we are not perfect on secret shopper reports.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide ANY positive feedback!! Stop forcing us to hard-sell ad items to customers. Allow us to be courteous and friendly, and helpful to the people. We've got to stop losing good, friendly, popular employees because some secret shopper says we missed on some vaguely worded attribute.

More hours would get better results!

Bakery Manager (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsGood pay and benefits,If you have been there a while.The customers really appreciate the way we provide excellent customer service,they appreciate us.

ConsThe amount of work in the time allowed.If everyone is not working to there full potential the job is very difficult everyone needs to be a team player.Remember our customers are why we have a job!

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd more hours to the stores so that we may better serve the customers while keeping our depts looking presentable.Stop trying to make all the stores so uniform, different areas sell different items.Our differences are what makes people shop around.

A Great Place to Work

Store Manager (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsSafeway has always done well with the benefits offered to the employees. Continuing to do so has been a benefit to all. What Steve Burd is doing with our health care benefits is fantastic. He is offering those that lead a healthy lifestyle a lower insurance premium. It's an innovative notion. The work life balance is good with Safeway. Upper management (at least those I've worked for) are very good about allowing that balance.

ConsOccassionally long hours and the negative attitudes of some management personnel.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing. Just keep in mind that we are all people and need to operate the business.

Worked for Safeway? Contribute to the Community!