Sage Hospitality Reviews

Updated 2 April 2015
71 reviews filtered by
3.3
Walter L. Isenberg

Pros
  • This company really cares, and really values its employees (in 3 reviews)

• Great people, and great work environment (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay scale, management in constant turmoil, lack of any good leadership leading to much misbehavior from management on site (in 3 reviews)

• Lack of involvement by corporate management at the property-level (in 3 reviews)

1. Questionable Management

I have been working at Sage Hospitality

Pros

I work at the front desk so it is fun the different challenges that present themselves everyday. Each guest is a new opportunity to get to know a new person and learn about their experiences. If you work hard and are dedicated it is possible to move through the ranks at a pretty decent pace.

Cons

The pay is sub par for the hours that are required in hospitality. If you do not have friends or family that have 9-5 jobs it would not be bad. Management is a mixed bag. At a certain point in your career it feels like they put the carrot in front of your face and give you a lot more responsibility with no more pay or incentives.

Advice to Management

Do what you say you are going to do.

2. Great ever growing company committed to community & their employees allowing room for professional and personal growth.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Sage Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits. Passion for Community Service. Family feel. Ever changing.

Cons

Ever changing. Compensation could use a boost. Sick pay/Vacation days could use a boost.

This placed sucked the life out of me. It's an awful company. They treat employees like indentured servants.

Former Employee - Server in Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Server in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Sage Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discounts at partner hotels, IF you can save enough money for a vacation and work around their black-out dates, of which there are many.

Cons

Awful pay, harassment, terrible management (but, I've heard if you sleep with them they're not so awful to you anymore), laughable medical benefits, no employee support/HR.

Advice to Management

Recruit and maintain a legitimate management team. (The Nines, Pdx, OR)

Hotel Management, Disorganized

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Sage Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Only enjoyable part about working in a hotel with awful guests are the coworkers.

Cons

Lack of personal and professional growth working in hospitality unless your managing. Gives no opportunity for hourly employees to move up

6. Management is a joke.

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent

I worked at Sage Hospitality full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you get paid enough, or have two sources of income to offset the price of benefits, it's a good plan to take apart of. Post weekly opportunities of various properties across the US.

Cons

The lack of Personal Growth at certain properties can be really offsetting.
    Attempting to reach out to HR to help aid in the issues and was told to basically stop whining and be grateful.

Advice to Management

Listen to your front line employees and realize that without them your properties wouldn't get the proper TLC to sustain the business

7. A Great Company with Excellent Leadership

I have been working at Sage Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very Strategic Company
    Wonderful Leaders
    Professional Development Opportunities
    Tons of Support
    Company has Growth Potential

Cons

Systems are not intuitive
    Hotels in their portfolio could be dropped/sold

Advice to Management

None, Great Job

Extreme disfunction

Former Employee - Busser, Food Runner, Bar Back in Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Busser, Food Runner, Bar Back in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Sage Hospitality part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fellow employees, tips are high in general, free food

Cons

Completely disjointed and unorganized management, little appreciation for what employees do, will work you to the bone if you let them.

Advice to Management

Get in touch with your employees and treat them like people. Don't focus solely on the bottom line.

Company means well, but is growing far too fast for its infrastructure.

I worked at Sage Hospitality full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunity for advancement, growing company, company enjoys fun things like parties. My property and most leadership is great

Cons

Human Resources frequently misleads employees, money-grubbing in lots of little ways, made some poor manager-level hiring decisions

Advice to Management

Central Human Resources has been giving incorrect information to many employees, particularly those who are less likely to ask in the first place (ESL speakers, part-time or on-call employees that don't work 9-5, people less educated about their rights and options as workers). In addition, having every single department complain about an executive-level manager and not doing anything about it is pretty unacceptable. Their orientation is 3 1/2 hours long, and it is 50% the presenter joking around, 20% "team-building" games, 10% watching videos from 1990 (complete with the presenter making fun of them), and 20% actual work-related content. They couldn't tell me what uniforms would look like or how long you had at the beginning of your shift before you were late. Very helpful.

Lastly, in my department specifically, there was a manager who was essentially toxic. Everyone complained about them, they regularly publicly humiliated their employees, and no one did anything about it. This department has very little cohesiveness and is rarely happy unless this manager is out of the office.

10. Great people - but something is missing

Former Employee - Global Office Associate in Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Global Office Associate in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Sage Hospitality full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked in the corporate office for > 5 yrs. I enjoyed my peers, the office, and interacting with the properties. I saw good intentions from nearly every person i interacted with in my office. We had a lot of fun and there was specific effort to create a relaxed atmosphere - including corporate office events, casual dress code, and community service work.

Cons

Senior leadership was lacking for years. There were big changes made in the corporate office over the last two years - but I did not have a chance to see if the move toward developing true leaders has started a much needed evolution.
    insurance premiums were cheap, but actual coverage was not good. Glad I had a flex spending account.

Advice to Management

There are people in leadership positions simply because they have experience - not because they are knowledgeable about leading others. Experience does not make a leader. Experience also does not guarantee a person will be strategic, dynamic, or visionary - and those qualities are important to this company's goals. Keep the employees with experience, but consider not placing them in leadership positions. Handing out big titles, particularly "VP", simply because a person has been around a long time, is not a smart practice. Possessing blind loyalty can be a big mistake.
    You're all good business people - use facts and instincts versus "the good ol boy" approach. Best wishes..

11. It's been good to me - Nines Hotel Location

Current Employee - Server in Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Server in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at Sage Hospitality full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast Growing, awesome coworkers, full cafeteria, decent benefits, and solid upper management. Ive been here for a few years and all in all it has been my favorite Portland job.

Cons

I have bumped heads with a few of their policies but it isn't anything out of the ordinary for restaurants. Dont expect special treatment.

Advice to Management

Choose supervisors a little more carefully.